Not Again! :( Day 59

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, look at the little spots! They are just adorable! And gaining weight already?!? Yay, Meeka, you are doing a great job!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the babies are very strong this morning! Actually I was up probably every 3.5 hours to check on them and help the little one find a nipple. She can do it on her own but it takes her more time. They all are super fat with milk. Weights are up .1 or .2oz from last night (so .5-.6oz since birth). So the 2 big girls are at 3.1oz, the boy is 2.9oz and the little girl is 2.4oz.

I'm in a quandry on the little one. I need some opinions. I talked to a vet tech and she said definitely bring her in (about the chewed toes). She said they are too young for antibiotics but they might be able to bandage it. I'm not sure she has seen a newborn foot... I don't think you can bandage it and do it such that mom won't take it off. I think she told me to bring her in because she has to out of liability. I think the risk outweighs the benefit! The vet is a dangerous place for a newborn with all the germs, even with the colostrum. I think I should just keep applying peroxide routinely. What do people think on here?

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I wouldn't use peroxide. I would use a bit of warm diluted apple cider vinegar on a soft cotton swab, though. And no, I probably wouldn't take her to the vet, either. She needs to stay close to momma. The vet's isn't terribly safe for a little one...especially a 2.4 oz'er. I would keep encouraging her to eat, even a bit more often than the others. Now if the foot begins to pus, or weep, or infection looks like it's beginning to set in, I would take her in. As long as you're treating it with a bit of apple cider vinegar, that will keep it clean, and hopefully sooth her skin a bit.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a great idea! I would rather use something natural...

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on the new babies. I'm praying for the little runt girl, that there will be no problems or complications with her toes.

They are all precious, by the way.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

Well the babies are very strong this morning! Actually I was up probably every 3.5 hours to check on them and help the little one find a nipple. She can do it on her own but it takes her more time. They all are super fat with milk. Weights are up .1 or .2oz from last night (so .5-.6oz since birth). So the 2 big girls are at 3.1oz, the boy is 2.9oz and the little girl is 2.4oz.

I'm in a quandry on the little one. I need some opinions. I talked to a vet tech and she said definitely bring her in (about the chewed toes). She said they are too young for antibiotics but they might be able to bandage it. I'm not sure she has seen a newborn foot... I don't think you can bandage it and do it such that mom won't take it off. I think she told me to bring her in because she has to out of liability. I think the risk outweighs the benefit! The vet is a dangerous place for a newborn with all the germs, even with the colostrum. I think I should just keep applying peroxide routinely. What do people think on here?
Peroxide is "cytotoxic", or kills cells. I know it is what everyone uses for wounds, and it does kill the germs, but will also kill the good cells if you continue it. So for a larger wound, it isn't recommended. I know her wound is small, but still. I would recommend Betadine. That will clean away the germs without harming the good tissue. I frequently use it on pet wounds (and people too)! Beware that Betadine stains, so you may have yellowish stains on your hands...and don't let it get on clothes or the flooring!

I don't know about apple cider vinegar. I know years ago when my oldest dd had lice, we were advised to rinse her hair in vinegar. It ended up leaving little sores on her scalp because it irritated her skin. I'm not sure if cider vinegar would irritate baby kitten skin.

If you are comfortable keeping her home, I think that is a great idea. Just watch closely, and take her in if it needs a stitch or something for infection.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok well that makes sense. Apple Cider vinegar is really acidic so maybe I should try the betadine. I don't have any but I could probably run to the store tonight and get some. I just want the best for Meeka's baby

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks

Ok we looked at the Betadine but it just said hand disinfectant, not for wounds so we weren't sure to get it. The active ingrediant is iodine but there isn't much in it. So would it be ok to use pure iodine - in the regard of not hurting new cells?

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The stuff I use is the diluted betadine/iodine. This looks like the right thing...it is a 10% solution. Looks like betadine is the brand name. Sorry for the confusion!
http://www.brucemedical.com/fr-2135-80.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betadine

You should be able to get it at most pharmacies. If they only have the hand cleaner, just use it as a soap on her little foot, and be sure to rinse it off.

From what I am reading, you can apply it up to 3 times daily. Probably just a little on a q-tip will be enough. Let it dry before she gets to Meeka, so Momma won't eat any of it by licking it off. Once dry, it should be harmless.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh I did see that. I looked at the smaller bottle thinking they were the same thing only different amounts. I guess the small one was the hand wash and the large one was the solution.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Betadine wash is a simple betadine solution that can be swabbed on and left.
Betadine scrub is the same thing but with a sudsing agent added- you must rinse it off. It will irritate the skin if not thoroughly rinsed.

I apologize for butting in here, but you have to read the labels to be certain which you have. Not everyone knows about this- I've even heard drug store clerks recommend the wrong thing and I couldn't take the chance. Don't want to further irritate the widdle foot!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, congratulations on your little one!

I'm going to butt in here too. Be very careful with the Betadine. It can cause skin irritation, and can cause pain. I don't know if continued use will cause further irritation, or irritation to Meeka's mouth when she cleans her. If you do decide to use it, I would dilute it even further with sterile water. You can get "nursery water" in the baby food section of the supermarket.

Personally, I would just clean the wound with sterile, barely soapy water, and rinse it well afterward. Clean it a couple of times a day. Keep a good eye on it, of course, and take her to the vet straightaway at any signs of infection (which I'm sure you'd do anyway).

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has been a tough decision. I've ended up deciding on a diluted vinegar solution rotated with colloidal silver foot dips. The vinegar I know will sting a little but the colloidal silver shouldn't hurt at all. I just want to use both to make sure I cover my bases with her. Both are anti-microbial but shouldn't effect new growing cells. They are also safe for mom to lick off. The foot is looking very healthy and scabbing well. She also gained .2oz from yesterday so is now 2.6oz. She was born 2oz so I think we are doing good here. I even saw her being a little bully for a nipple today