Non eggshell calcium source

Tuckamukk3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I want to make a batch of mostly pork based food without any egg products, which means no eggshell calcium. Ive purchased a brand of limestone based calcium carbonate - hopefully this product is ok? Alnutrin apparently uses limestone based calcium for their non eggshell product, and this manufacturer answered many questions about quality control, it's a U.S. product, screened for heavy metals, etc so that's why I chose it. Anyway I want to make sure that I have the dose figured out correctly before I use it.
I've read that you should have 1000 to 1200mg calcium per pound of meat. This product has 600mg of calcium from calcium carbonate per 1.5g. So 400mg per gram. So I would add 2.5 grams of this per lb of meat/organs. Is that correct?

Hopefully I can balance this out with a bone source down the line but now just want to keep it non poultry.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tuckamukk3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure about the eggshell calcium? I read an old thread where somebody's vet recommended them against it for a cat with chicken egg sensitivities. It seems to make sense as I dont see how you could get all the egg off the eggshells. Is there anything wrong with using the product I have or my calculations?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure about the eggshell calcium? I read an old thread where somebody's vet recommended them against it for a cat with chicken egg sensitivities. It seems to make sense as I dont see how you could get all the egg off the eggshells. Is there anything wrong with using the product I have or my calculations?
They are going to wash the eggshells before grinding them into calcium. There would likely be very little left. There might even be a heat treatment step that would denature the proteins (e.g. make them unrecognizable.) To be honest, most homemade recipes or vitamin completer powders lean on egg yolk for certain vitamins (A, I think?) I would be more concerned about egg yolk than eggshell.

I can't answer about the product you have chosen. I don't know which calcium form is needed/recommended. I just know that the raw feeder coop sold me a tub of that seaweed calcium to get started with and it's been the only ingredient that my last cat, Krista, didn't give me any grief about. My current cat, Betty, is eating prescription canned food. She's doing well with it. Despite my best efforts, I can't talk her out of it. So I'm a few years out of practice on making food. I know that Animal Essentials product was easy peasy. I never needed to consider another product.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tuckamukk3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are going to wash the eggshells before grinding them into calcium. There would likely be very little left. There might even be a heat treatment step that would denature the proteins (e.g. make them unrecognizable.) To be honest, most homemade recipes or vitamin completer powders lean on egg yolk for certain vitamins (A, I think?) I would be more concerned about egg yolk than eggshell.

I can't answer about the product you have chosen. I don't know which calcium form is needed/recommended. I just know that the raw feeder coop sold me a tub of that seaweed calcium to get started with and it's been the only ingredient that my last cat, Krista, didn't give me any grief about. My current cat, Betty, is eating prescription canned food. She's doing well with it. Despite my best efforts, I can't talk her out of it. So I'm a few years out of practice on making food. I know that Animal Essentials product was easy peasy. I never needed to consider another product.
Thanks for the information/ input. Vitamin A I believe is mostly from liver, but yes, I have been trying to figure out if I need to compensate for the lack of egg yolk in various areas.

He's only been sick twice. After the first time I took a bunch of stuff out and added it back in and it seemed to be the egg yolk that triggered the vomiting and illness. He had a harder time recovering the second time; and it could have just been coincidence but he seemed to do better after I took the eggshell powder out of what I was feeding him. After his first attack though he did fine on it, so who knows. I just don't want to chance it right now when he's doing so well.