No Gums, No Menadione, No tapioca No Carrageenan

Catman219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help, I can't find a cat food that my cat Sammie is not allergic to. The vet said only whitefish. So I am looking for kibble and canned food. No BPA either. Any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catman219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, but my vet said no bird, or beef and to only feed him fish

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could be wrong but I thought too much fish isn’t good either…a lot of mercury in it?
Depends on what type of fish the manufacturer uses. The brand I feed uses small/young fish like Skipjack to reduce the amount of mercury in their product.

Fish will have some level of mercury, and we do test for mercury, histamines and polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB). Yet, not all fish were created equally. In a nutshell, the lower on the food chain, the younger and smaller the fish, the less mercury the fish will have. We use fish that meet the FDA’s list of those lower in mercury. There are many species of tuna, some of which have high levels of mercury; we use skipjack, a smaller and younger species that has lower levels.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I need help, I can't find a cat food that my cat Sammie is not allergic to. The vet said only whitefish. So I am looking for kibble and canned food. No BPA either. Any suggestions?
I would not feed him white fish. What about duck? This is pricy but farmina has duck,quail,and venison. I just cooked some ground lamb with ez complete. They loved it
White fish(tile fish) is one of the worst. Then tuna and salmon. Tuna and salmon as a rare treat

Last edited:

Catman219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know but I am hoping this is temporary. Will try him on Duck. Thanks.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know but I am hoping this is temporary. Will try him on duck. Thanks.
Hypoallergentic diets usually are rabbit, turkey, and duck. This is because the most common meat allergy is chicken. The key is to find a wet limited ingredient diet (LID) with one high quality "novel" animal protein source (not chicken) and one easily digestible vegetable and does not have any grains or ingredients with no nutritional value. Nature's Variety Instinct Adult LID is not perfect but probably meets all of these criteria.

Catman219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks after researching I did pick up some sardine food and some freeze dried venison. I have a holistic vet who said to just feed them one thing a day and then rotate so they don't get the same thing but every four to five days. Less likely to get a allergic reaction. Lotus makes a sardine pate and the can is BPA free. My vet uses muscle testing and Sammie didn't test good with bird type food and I couldn't get him to eat rabbit wet food and the rabbit kibble he liked but had projectile vomiting with in ten minutes after eating it. My other cat did the same with the rabbit.

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I picked up some duck pate/soup things from Koha online if you’re having trouble finding some. The soup things do have tapioca and the pates have agar agar. I think you’ll find at least one of those ingredients in whatever food you purchase unless you go raw? My girl’s immune system vetoed rabbit as well. Cats are usually allergic and reacting to the animal protein FWIW.

Catman219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Sajast. But Sammie can not have Tapioca that is one thing that he tested bad for. I do have one can of Koha, He seems to be okay with agar agar msg far anyway. I have studied Homeopathy and Natrum Muriaticum acts as an antihistamine and I give it to the cats to stop the itching, but only works if you take anyway the cause.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with maggie101 maggie101 about fish, particularly since it tends to be one of the most allergy-causing ingredients for cats. (Here's one article that mentions fish as a leading problem.) When one of our cats was diagnosed with asthma, the vet (who's not a fish fan to begin with) said to cut all fish from her diet because of histamines. We only fed very small amounts of fish but the cats loved those foods! I'd also be careful with fish because it gets addictive for some cats. (Our previous cat tended in that direction!)

Another novel protein is pork, which our cats love! Like maggie101's cats, ours like lamb, too.

If you're willing to feed freeze-dried raw food, Primal has very decent pork food with relatively low bone content.

What are Sammie's symptoms, Catman219 Catman219 ? Are there any things other than tapioca that you know for certain he has problems with? We've had to cut several ingredients -- potato, agar-agar, green-lipped mussels -- from our cats' diet because of barfing. Those limitations and my refusal to feed certain other things (legumes, carrageenan among them) are big reasons why we feed quite a bit of commercial raw and homecooked food.

Good luck!

Catman219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry but.... my vet said to never give the cats pork, said it isn't good for humans or animals. So far I am suppose top stay away from gums in general but particularly tapioca and carrageenan. It's impossible to stay away from all but I am thinking of going raw freeze dried. I bought a bag of venison to try. Also going to find a different brand of rabbit pate and possibly venison pate because I know that they might not have the right microbiome for the raw so will go extremely slow with that. Sammie has itching, his lower lip seems to swell, he has inflammation and just recently has fluid in his lungs so wheezes. We are running tests to see if he is asthmatic or what.

Catman219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will try to get him off of the fish for a month or so too.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boone and Gracie aren't big on fish. The only kind they like is salmon. Took them a while to eat anything with tuna in it so I stopped buying it. Not fans of lamb or duck either. Turkey is hit or miss. So I buy chicken, beef, and salmon varieties.

Catman219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I am going to keep my fingers crossed that they will eat duck , venison, and rabbit. They weren't big on the brand of rabbit so I will try a different brand.

Catman219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with maggie101 maggie101 about fish, particularly since it tends to be one of the most allergy-causing ingredients for cats. (Here's one article that mentions fish as a leading problem.) When one of our cats was diagnosed with asthma, the vet (who's not a fish fan to begin with) said to cut all fish from her diet because of histamines. We only fed very small amounts of fish but the cats loved those foods! I'd also be careful with fish because it gets addictive for some cats. (Our previous cat tended in that direction!)

Another novel protein is pork, which our cats love! Like maggie101's cats, ours like lamb, too.

If you're willing to feed freeze-dried raw food, Primal has very decent pork food with relatively low bone content.

What are Sammie's symptoms, Catman219 Catman219 ? Are there any things other than tapioca that you know for certain he has problems with? We've had to cut several ingredients -- potato, agar-agar, green-lipped mussels -- from our cats' diet because of barfing. Those limitations and my refusal to feed certain other things (legumes, carrageenan among them) are big reasons why we feed quite a bit of commercial raw and homecooked food.

Good luck!
What kind of home cooked food do you feed your cats?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of home cooked food do you feed your cats?
Alnutrin with egg shell calcium. (The "with calcium" products are on this page.) It does contain egg yolk, though, which some cats have trouble with. Alnutrin will send a sample packet (enough to supplement a pound of meat) if you send them a SASE. You do have to add liver. I also add fish oil, more egg yolk, and pumpkin.

Since you mentioned freeze-dried raw, I'll mention that we feed our cats a lot of small meals: 1) Primal freeze-dried pork, 2) Purpose freeze-dried chicken with a bit of turkey, 3) Alnutrin homemade cooked, 4) Alnutrin homemade cooked, 5) something canned 6) very small night snack of Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein (dry) chicken.

Another good freeze-dried brand we used to feed is Northwest Naturals. (The page is loading very slowly so I'm not sure what they currently have; we fed turkey and chicken.)

Our cats really like all the variety and the various "modes" keep them happy and mean we don't need too many canned foods to have a rotation for meal #5.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Remember freeze-dried raw food is not intended to be a complete and balanced diet. It is for supplemental feeding and snacks. Give it to Sammie as an additive to encourage eating the new wet food if you need to.