'Nitwit' cardinal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After not seeing a cardinal yet again this morning, my husband took a foot stool to step up and peer into the nest. Nice, neat, sturdy nest - with nothing in it. :confused2: I'll give it a couple more days, and then remove the nest.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just looked, and it says baby Cardinals can fledge 9-11 days after hatching. Is it possible the babies were there and have already moved on?
Nests are fascinating to me, how those birds instinctively know how to weave that beautiful little basket out of sticks and straw or whatever they find. One of the nests we have has a piece of old, thin weed mat in it!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know! The nests are amazing! I suppose it is possible that the chicks hatched and are already gone. But we usually see the babies with the parents in our trees near the bird feeders, where it is the dad that actually goes to the feeders and brings bird food to them - that has not happened this time. :ohwell:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know! The nests are amazing! I suppose it is possible that the chicks hatched and are already gone. But we usually see the babies with the parents in our trees near the bird feeders, where it is the dad that actually goes to the feeders and brings bird food to them - that has not happened this time. :ohwell:
I hope it wasn't a predator, though I'm sure the adults would have made a ton of noise if it were.
Maybe this batch of babies are anti social and decided to stay undercover? 😂

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope it wasn't a predator, though I'm sure the adults would have made a ton of noise if it were. Maybe this batch of babies are anti social and decided to stay undercover? 😂
The only thing we noticed were some crows mysteriously lurking about in our front yard, but nowhere near the nest. They have unsuccessfully tried to perch on our squirrel and bird feeders - have no idea how they could have perched on this hanging plant nest.
If the babies wanted to stay undercover, they certainly chose not to use the nest! What's also weird is that we not seeing any of the cardinals around the feeders with their usual regularity. Other birds, yes, but not any of them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We took the nest down. Still see the same cardinal pair on and around our bird feeder, but no babies. We set the sprinklers to run in the azaleas in our backyard, and they were there to take their baths. They love sitting on the bush branches and getting a shower!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nitwit rabbit update:
For some reason, the field behind my house was not planted this year and has grown up in long grass. I have seen the rabbits outside of my fence, going in and out of the field. I haven't seen them in my yard in a week or so, so hopefully this means they've moved out permanently (and I still get to enjoy them!)

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since we are discussing our feathered friends. You all might want to try an APP called Merlin on your phone. It can identify birds through the calls they make. When walking through the park, you may be surprised by what is actually present. The app is written by the Cornell lab.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we are discussing our feathered friends. You all might want to try an APP called Merlin on your phone. It can identify birds through the calls they make. When walking through the park, you may be surprised by what is actually present. The app is written by the Cornell lab.
My son gave me a clock with birds for the numbers. When the hour is reached, the bird call for that bird sounds. It doesn't do this at night, thank goodness. But with the nice weather we've been having, I've left the windows and doors open, and the bird calls can be heard outside. Now, the clock seems to be attracting wild birds because I hear them very close to the house, over and over. The different calls and numbers are astounding. Before, birds seemed to be a constant chirping outside, but now I can identify many of the individual calls.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice 5/26 article -since the dialogue is opening up- about birding in Central Park by Christian Cooper.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The big problem is that bird flue, so I have to wipe down the feeders ever refill with those anti bacteria wipes.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a robin's nest on top of one of the dog runs. I noticed it yesterday, approached it, and a robin was sitting there. She took off in fright and landed on the fence and was chirping madly. I left her alone.
This has happened before, and once in awhile I'll find a day or so old naked baby bird lying dead on the run floor :sigh:
The sparrows nest on top of the catio is in a very good place. It's under the eaves, and it's on top of the catio ceiling, and the material I chose for it has openings much smaller than chicken wire so if babies fall when learning to fly, at least they won't fall through. The cats have definitely noticed it's there, but there is no way for them to get to it.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you move the thing just a tiny bit (inch or so?) every day towards a better location or at least a less precarious one?