'Nitwit' cardinal

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have always had cardinals in my yard, they feed from the bird feeders, bring their hatchlings to the feeders to teach them how to use the feeders, and even take baths in my 'watering hole'. In all these years, I have never seen where they place their nests - which is fine by me.

However, I now have a cardinal nest in a hanging planter full of fake flowers right outside my front door. Granted, it is covered from the weather, but it is literally within 1-2 feet from the door. The bird has even remained in the nest when my husband has gone out the door to get the newspaper, although it has left at other points in time.

I have had wrens try to build nests in some crazy places, but this is new behavior from a cardinal. Why in the world would they place a nest there, knowing how close humans can be to them? How long after the eggs (not sure there are any yet, can't see in the planter) are hatched will any babies leave it so that I don't have to be constantly worried about 'intruding'?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about intruding. I believe it sees you as less of a threat than, and possibly more of a deterrent to, other predators including crows, jays et al.

lol, you could even put a webcam on it and stream the whole process, --that would be awesome and explore.org would love you (so would I!)

This is from Baby Cardinals: All You Need To Know (with Pictures).
Baby cardinals fledge after just 7 to 13 days, but parental feeding continues for up to two months or even longer in some situations.

Cardinal Facts — CARING CARDINALS.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed. They love security. It might seem counterintuitive, but there are coons, possums, ferals and the ever dreaded Cooper’s Hawk. The bonus might be the tasty sunflower seeds you might hopefully be hanging nearby!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, holy crap! The cardinals were the last to trust the bird feeders and the watering hole of all the birds we have!! Now, they trust us so much to camp outside our front door?!?! Yowz! No sunflowers seeds to be placed by the nest; they can - and will/do - go to the bird feeders in the backyard!!

I haven't seen any increase in predator critter activity to think they had to abandon their 'usual' nesting areas - wherever they were - but who knows.

I would love to do a webcam, but by the time I would get one set up the eggs would be hatched and gone!! That would be super cool though! I know the baby cardinals are cared for by their parents for what seems to be a long time after they leave the nest. I even mentioned before in another post, that it is the 'dads' that mostly take care of them at that point, at least in my yard.

I am still going to call this particular cardinal a nitwit!! :rolleyes2:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Taking a momentary break from another thread I am engrossed in to say this. 'Nitwit' cardinal is spending most of their time in the nest. Keeping people away from the front door and we ourselves are not even using it at all. Our front porch has officially been declared off-limits. Wanted to take a pic, but so afraid to do so. But I can sure see the red beak and head sitting in the nest when I take a peek!!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know that Cardinals went that far south. Grew up with them here. Funny thing is everytime we've had any bird nest in our planters on our deck etc... they literally wait until we leave and fly away permanently. Who says birds aren't smart lol

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't know that Cardinals went that far south. Grew up with them here. Funny thing is everytime we've had any bird nest in our planters on our deck etc... they literally wait until we leave and fly away permanently. Who says birds aren't smart lol
They have always been down here all year long for as long as I have been down here - 40 years. But they normally don't nest anywhere in sight, much less on someone's front door porch. They may be smart, but this time I just can't refrain from calling this one a nitwit!! :wink:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cardinals are southern birds. They are the state bird of Virginia and North Carolina, as well as here in Illinois. I've heard it said that cardinals in the north used to fly south during the winter, but the feeders everyone puts out have kept them here year round. But it seems there is now a Northern Cardinal, so I don't know if that is right or not.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But it seems there is now a Northern Cardinal, so I don't know if that is right or not.
We're starting to have robins stay here in Denver year round. Not sure they think much of their decision when the weather does one of those cold snaps with snow, but they survive 🤔😎👍

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know, but robins were always around all year long in all my years living in Ohio (left in 1982), but they are never normally down here at all. I've seen one or two influxes of them being down here in very early spring, but that has only been twice in my 40 years here and it was for a brief week or so and then POOF, gone.

Cardinals were also always (and still are) in OH too but are also down here.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know, but robins were always around all year long in all my years living in Ohio (left in 1982), but they are never normally down here at all. I've seen one or two influxes of them being down here in very early spring, but that has only been twice in my 40 years here and it was for a brief week or so and then POOF, gone.

Cardinals were also always (and still are) in OH too but are also down here.
I'm in NW Ohio, and we only see Robins in the warm weather :( It's always exciting to see the first spring robin and a few of us have a little running contest on who sees one first. The Cardinals are gorgeous.
I have some birds building a nest tucked on the top of the catio under the eaves of the house. The cats have been going absolutely nuts watching them on the recliner near that window.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Cardinals are southern birds. They are the state bird of Virginia and North Carolina, as well as here in Illinois. I've heard it said that cardinals in the north used to fly south during the winter, but the feeders everyone puts out have kept them here year round. But it seems there is now a Northern Cardinal, so I don't know if that is right or not.
Idk either, I live in SW IL and Cardinals have always been here during the winter.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cardinal is still sitting on the nest most of the time, thankfully even after a busy rain/windstorm time last night. This is 7 days since we first realized the nest was there. Seems like a long way to go.

Having daytime deliveries done in our garage, which is kept open for that purpose. Normally, we order food for delivery on Friday nights, but husband decided to go pick it up tonight in order to avoid 'conflicts of issue' with the front porch/door.

Once this is over, I need to find a way to prevent them from doing the same thing again, without having to take down our fake flower hanging plants. I adore wildlife, but...

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner could you maybe move the plant to a more secluded location so you could still enjoy the plant and the Cardinals without having it so close to the house?