'Nitwit' cardinal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner could you maybe move the plant to a more secluded location so you could still enjoy the plant and the Cardinals without having it so close to the house?
The FAKE plant is purely decorative for whomever might see it from the street or those who come to the front door. It is kind of secluded already, perhaps the reason why the cardinal chose a FAKE plant to nest in?!?! This hanging planter has been on my front porch by the front door for over a decade - never to have been used by a cardinal before. :dizzy:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But not hopefully in the same nest?????????????? Yowz, I will never access my front porch again!!!! :drinking:
I'm having a similar issue with rabbits. So cute, but they are pooping everywhere and driving my dog nuts. They're getting into the yard at work too and a few times a dog has seen one and bolted and almost taken my arm off. What kind of rabbit makes their home at a place that keeps dogs? :sigh:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm having a similar issue with rabbits.
I have rabbits too! They come and go as they please, and even sneak into our neighbor's yard with two big dogs. They are kind of like most wildlife in that they do what they please. Apparently, it works for them?!?!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have rabbits too! They come and go as they please, and even sneak into our neighbor's yard with two big dogs. They are kind of like most wildlife in that they do what they please. Apparently, it works for them?!?!
They are incredibly cute little things, I just wish they'd make their home on the OUTSIDE part of the fence! :lol: A month or so ago I discovered a tiny little chipmunk sized baby rabbit in some brush and he took off like a bottle rocket. The Papillon was allowed to bark but not chase.
1683335109704.png

1683334992118.png

The Papillon has still not completely forgiven me.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been battling rabbits for so many years I can't find anything cute about them anymore. I have been at times able to count six of them in my small yard at the same time in plain sight. I no long grow any annual flowers; it's just futile. For the past few years it's gotten better because coyotes have come calling and we've had a few harks that go after them. If it weren't for those predators, we would be absolutely run over by rabbits.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been battling rabbits for so many years I can't find anything cute about them anymore. I have been at times able to count six of them in my small yard at the same time in plain sight. I no long grow any annual flowers; it's just futile. For the past few years it's gotten better because coyotes have come calling and we've had a few harks that go after them. If it weren't for those predators, we would be absolutely run over by rabbits.
A lot of owls eat rabbits… I wonder if there’s any place nearby for an owl box?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do have owls. I can hear them whoo ing at night. There's one in this neighborhood, and another one across a major street in another neighborhood. Whatever the reason, our rabbit population is down significantly.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We too have owls, and it hasn't affected our rabbit population one bit - if I base it on the ones hopping through our yard daily!! Weird.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mine have hatched
Well, son of a gun. I don't think that has happened here yet. I know the male cardinal has been hanging around the nest more, but don't know how to tell if there are babies in there because I can't get close enough to peer into the nest. Please don't tell me that this cardinal didn't produce viable eggs????????????? :eek:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What we do is catch FeebysOwner FeebysOwner cardinals, dress them like owls, and take a decoy cardinals nest and strap them to the bunny's backs. The cardinals will chase the rabbits to get their nests back and the rabbits will think they're being chased by owls and move elsewhere. While the cardinal-owls are chasing the rabbits/nest thiefs, the REAL nest can be moved to a better place. (Modern problems require modern solutions! :lol: )

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We too have owls, and it hasn't affected our rabbit population one bit - if I base it on the ones hopping through our yard daily!! Weird.
I haven't seen an owl catch a rabbit, probably because owls are nocturnal, and the rabbits aren't. But I did see a huge hawk with a rabbit it just caught in the middle of the street, shredding and eating it one day.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cardinals are not spending the same time, or maybe none, with the nest as they were - perhaps the same thing has happened to them as well?!?! We did not see either 'parent' today at all.
Tomorrow, if no cardinals are present, I am going to see if there is anything actually in the nest. Bummer.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To add to the nitwit cardinal, we have a nitwit robin who has a nest of four babies on the top of an outdoor dog run. I sure hope those babies can fly. The manager texted me and told me that there was a bird IN the room with a Husky, who was just sitting there looking at it and she managed to shoo it out. No clue how she got in there but I'm glad the Husky was feeling benevolent and didn't try to hurt it. I like sharing my life with wildlife but I don't really want them INSIDE!