Newly adopted Rescue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not a whole lot that is new. Cece continues to be happy as long as I don’t try to touch her. She loves when I visit with her and will roll around and stretch out her paws, even rub up against my legs. She is content and that makes me happy. She loves her bath brush and will rub her face all over it, but as soon as she realizes my hand is holding it she will swat me or run across the room. I will usually just talk to her softly so she calms a bit then I will play with a few treats and leave them for her. I always end on a positive note, no matter what her reaction is to me, she needs that unconditional love ❤

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Not a whole lot that is new. Cece continues to be happy as long as I don’t try to touch her. She loves when I visit with her and will roll around and stretch out her paws, even rub up against my legs. She is content and that makes me happy. She loves her bath brush and will rub her face all over it, but as soon as she realizes my hand is holding it she will swat me or run across the room. I will usually just talk to her softly so she calms a bit then I will play with a few treats and leave them for her. I always end on a positive note, no matter what her reaction is to me, she needs that unconditional love ❤
Good to hear that Cece is still used to what you are doing except for a personal pet. Please don’t give up. Keep trying.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little bit of an update on Cece. In some ways she has made progress (comes out in the early morning meowing for attention). But now recently she is terrified if she sees any movement of my hands. If I even move them slightly she will run across the room and put herself low to the floor. Before she would let me hold out her bath brush and rub all over it, now she is too aware that my hand is holding the handle. Nothing new occcurred, neither me nor my husband has reached for her or made any movement towards her with a hand. Makes me sad that she is so scared. Even when I slowly put treats down now, she runs in fear. She sees me opening the bag and putting some in my hand and waits there, until I put them down. As soon as I slowly pull my hand back up she runs. I am not sure what caused her fear so I am at a loss as to how to make her comfortable again.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are many people who use a brush or some type of " extension " to stroke cats when they are afraid to put their hand in harms way,I'm in no means saying it's not alright to do,not everyone has more guts than brains like myself,lol

Personally I find it adds extra steps and doesn't help to lessen the fear of " the hand" - have you tried holding your ankles( or calf,whatever you can reach) while bent over with your arms close to your sides- that is the position I always take when introducing myself to ferals , strays and unfamiliar kitties

When cats want make contact there first point of contact ( the hello) is always with their sides,brushing against a humans leg..... if your arms are already there then they are brushing against your arm and back of your hand- its quite easy to start grazing them in return that way

Of course I always suggest using the old food bowl trick ( tap tap tap) - I believe we talked about that some time ago? Same principle,your hand is already there,in a relaxed hanging down position( fist,fingers in)..... Hands ahd arms are very scarey looking from a cats point of view,ahd they are above their bodies- your hands ( fist)are much less threatening coming up from under their face - like a smaller cat

Hope that helps,don't be discouraged,if you want to give it a try be prepared for an aching back,after the first half hour it kinda goes numb- lol but works like a charm the longer you can hang around like that

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions, I will certainly try this! I do the tapping of the bowl as you had mentioned previously, once in a great while she will rub against my legs in the very early morning when it is still dark out. She gets lots of praise and treats when she does this. She actually seeks me out in the morning and calls to me. Once it is light out she is unseen. I visit in her room frequently throughout the day and talk to her. I will have to brave my hands, poor thing has such long nails they get caught with every step. She needs another shave for her knots too. Her hair is so long and fine it knots easily.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions, I will certainly try this! I do the tapping of the bowl as you had mentioned previously, once in a great while she will rub against my legs in the very early morning when it is still dark out. She gets lots of praise and treats when she does this. She actually seeks me out in the morning and calls to me. Once it is light out she is unseen. I visit in her room frequently throughout the day and talk to her. I will have to brave my hands, poor thing has such long nails they get caught with every step. She needs another shave for her knots too. Her hair is so long and fine it knots easily.
Since she does rub your legs already this should be easy for both you and CeCe- you can relax and just HANG,hold your legs so your arms don't move about and she will rub you still after a couple of times seeing you like this- you don't have to be frightened because she's going to do the movement,your doing nothing for a few times

I think you'll do fine,who knows what spooked her but she'll get over it and get back to rubbing on you -:she's doing the cha cha ,typical - 1,2,3 forward and back cha cha cha.... Then forward again❤❤❤

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Little bit of an update on Cece. In some ways she has made progress (comes out in the early morning meowing for attention). But now recently she is terrified if she sees any movement of my hands. If I even move them slightly she will run across the room and put herself low to the floor. Before she would let me hold out her bath brush and rub all over it, now she is too aware that my hand is holding the handle. Nothing new occcurred, neither me nor my husband has reached for her or made any movement towards her with a hand. Makes me sad that she is so scared. Even when I slowly put treats down now, she runs in fear. She sees me opening the bag and putting some in my hand and waits there, until I put them down. As soon as I slowly pull my hand back up she runs. I am not sure what caused her fear so I am at a loss as to how to make her comfortable again.
She may have been spooked by the sound of the opening of the bag. It'll only be temporary. Keep assuring her and keep talking to her.

It could be just a bad experience she had before she was rescued and sounds and sights of certain things may just spook her.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I so appreciate the ideas and reassurance. If Cece had grown up under normal circumstances she would be such a little cuddler, she loves to purr and stretch her paws while making biscuits in the air. She will even roll onto my feet and look up at me ☺ She is so adorable, we cannot help but love her even if we cannot touch her. Funny that she is different with me than my husband, he gets the sweetest little meows when he talks to her but she won’t go near him at all. The people that tried to take her in previous to us tried to force her to sit on the husband’s lap instead of letting her decide on her own. We are very careful to never force ourself on her, she makes progress at her pace.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I so appreciate the ideas and reassurance. If Cece had grown up under normal circumstances she would be such a little cuddler, she loves to purr and stretch her paws while making biscuits in the air. She will even roll onto my feet and look up at me ☺ She is so adorable, we cannot help but love her even if we cannot touch her. Funny that she is different with me than my husband, he gets the sweetest little meows when he talks to her but she won’t go near him at all. The people that tried to take her in previous to us tried to force her to sit on the husband’s lap instead of letting her decide on her own. We are very careful to never force ourself on her, she makes progress at her pace.
No wonder Cece is scared, after that! Cats are not objects, dogs, or slaves. They are intelligent, complex, very sensitive living beings deserving of respect, protection, and love!
It took years for me to earn even a modicum of trust from the community matriarch two locations ago. It's worth it, and then some. Patience and love are key! You have the right mindset and are doing the right things for Cece. When the reward of her trust comes, it will be major!:hearthrob::heartshape:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Its sad ,poor little CeCe- what a start,huh? So many times I look at Timmy when he's in his bed sleeping like a log,kneading and he's started sucking in his sleep too,with that little tongue sticking out- and I think" he'd have been the most cuddly lap cat if he had a different start " -I can't even imagine how he survived by himself when Animal Control missed the tiny baby when they captured the Mom and his litter mates ?

But CeCe has you now and all that bad stuff will be forgotten one day soon.....uhhhh,the things they go through because of some people

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meme for 2 Meme for 2

Any updates on Cece?
Not a whole lot new going on with Cece. She does not want anything to do with the long handled brush so I have stopped that for now. She is leary of any hand movements so I sit with treats in my hand to show her it is ok. Mornings I get up early, after she eats she always comes out to the dining romm ‘calling’ to me. She will then roll around and pure and stretch. I can usually get somewhat close to her and sit on the floor, she seems ok with that. She does have a lot of knots on her, still trying to figure out how to catch her to get her in for a shave.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Not a whole lot new going on with Cece. She does not want anything to do with the long handled brush so I have stopped that for now. She is leary of any hand movements so I sit with treats in my hand to show her it is ok. Mornings I get up early, after she eats she always comes out to the dining romm ‘calling’ to me. She will then roll around and pure and stretch. I can usually get somewhat close to her and sit on the floor, she seems ok with that. She does have a lot of knots on her, still trying to figure out how to catch her to get her in for a shave.
I wonder if a self service grooming brush will help release her knots. My boy uses this to groom his face.

IMG_4305.JPG

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feeling a bit unsettled today with Cece. Woke up to her with feces stuck in her fur which is understandable with all the fur she has. She also has a belly ache and wouldn’t eat today. Now comes the hard part of finding a vet near my new home that will see her to groom her (not a lot of vets here will groom cats) since she will need to be put out to do that. And of course I once again have to catch her. She has taken a huge step backwards by not allowing any movement of my hands so this will be a challenge to say the least. She normally sleeps in her little cubby but I am going to remove it from the room and put the dog crate that I bought in it’s place with her blanket and a blanket over the crate. Hoping she will sleep in there so I can just close the door to the crate. It has been set up in her room for weeks now but since it faces the open door she will not go in there. If I put it where her cubby is she might decide it is ok to sleep in there. I just wish this wasn’t so stressful for both of us, I want to get her taken care of but also don’t want to terrorize her either. Sometimes I just don’t know what the right choices are. Wish me luck calling the vets tomorrow!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeling a bit unsettled today with Cece. Woke up to her with feces stuck in her fur which is understandable with all the fur she has. She also has a belly ache and wouldn’t eat today. Now comes the hard part of finding a vet near my new home that will see her to groom her (not a lot of vets here will groom cats) since she will need to be put out to do that. And of course I once again have to catch her. She has taken a huge step backwards by not allowing any movement of my hands so this will be a challenge to say the least. She normally sleeps in her little cubby but I am going to remove it from the room and put the dog crate that I bought in it’s place with her blanket and a blanket over the crate. Hoping she will sleep in there so I can just close the door to the crate. It has been set up in her room for weeks now but since it faces the open door she will not go in there. If I put it where her cubby is she might decide it is ok to sleep in there. I just wish this wasn’t so stressful for both of us, I want to get her taken care of but also don’t want to terrorize her either. Sometimes I just don’t know what the right choices are. Wish me luck calling the vets tomorrow!
Of course I do with you luck, and may Cece get gentle grooming and return to wellness very soon. Please be sure to find a vet/tech/groomer who will let you go in with her while she is being groomed, or one that has an observation window. These people are not always gentle with cats, so they need to be watched closely. Maybe you can buy a clipper and learn how to do this yourself. Personally, I would never trust a stranger to the care of my beloved cat!

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I truly wish I could groom her but I still cannot even pet her, lol. One of my previous cats was also a Maine Coone and I kept her without knots and always trimmed my kitty’s nails myself. This is such a new territory for me and I will only be able to take her to a vet since she needs sedation.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I truly wish I could groom her but I still cannot even pet her, lol. One of my previous cats was also a Maine Coone and I kept her without knots and always trimmed my kitty’s nails myself. This is such a new territory for me and I will only be able to take her to a vet since she needs sedation.
Make sure you observe. And things take time, love, and patience. It is not impossible. It takes these things.