newly adopted feral kitten advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a joy! I'm so glad you rescued her.

Just know that parasites are extremely common, run of the mill diseases for rescue kittens. It'd be a surprise if she didn't have at least one. Coccidia is stubborn though, so be prepared for it to be a small challenge to kick completely. What medication is she on? Albon is the standard, but as it only inhibits reproduction and doesn't actually kill the parasite, it takes a while to work (I usually saw it prescribed for 21 days, so maybe that's not what you were given) and sometimes multiple rounds. There is another called ponazuril, which is more often used in horses so some small animal vets aren't aware of it yet, but it actually kills the parasite directly and is much more effective. Hopefully that's what you have!

Also importantly, bleach does not kill coccidia. You'll want to disinfect the litter box and any hard surfaces that she spends a lot of time on somewhat regularly (every few days or so) with an ammonium-based cleaner. And, sidenote, do not mix ammonia and bleach products! Any bedding you can wash with hot water to disinfect. This will reduce the chance of her reinfecting herself. Keeping her in a small, cleanable space like the bathroom will make this easier on you for now, and cats usually feel more comfortable in smaller spaces when they're adjusting anyway.

You have such a fun journey ahead of you! Poppy is going to be so attached to her people! Cats, especially those that had a rough start, know when they're being taken care of and will put up with a lot considering they don't really understand what's going on. But they know what being loved and and provided for feels like, and they're grateful in their own way.

Food is usually great for shy adult cats, but on average it seems that even more than food, kittens can't resist play time! She'll probably bond with you faster through play than anything else, so take advantage of that. It's so cute when they're obviously scared to come out...but that mouse toy looks like SO much fun that they just can resist chasing after it! Just avoid the temptation to use parts of your body as toys, or else you'll end up with a full grown cat that likes to attack ankles and hands.
thank you so much! they did prescribe her albon and it says for 10 days however we take her back for a follow up once the prescription ends to see how well it’s working! once we got home i made sure to do my research on coccidia so i could be prepared to help her to the best of my ability, should i request ponazuril when we go back to the vet if albon isn’t working for her now or wait until after the second round?

i must admit i was a nervous wreck at the vets office, tears and all. i was so worried her potty issues were stemming from a horrible illness and was relieved when we learned it was a treatable parasite issue. from what i’ve been reading about coccidia, we decided to continue to keep her mostly in the bathroom because that’s where her box is and easy to clean floors! we also let everyone who got any of her siblings know so they could get their sweet babies tested and treated for it as well.

do you have any recommendations for ammonia based cleaners? and when i clean the bathroom every few days, how long should i wait after doing so before putting her back in there? i don’t want any chemicals to affect her somehow. and is still having some playtime in the living room okay? it’s carpeted so now i’m worried that because of the carpet she could end up getting reinfected later.

while reading about coccidia i saw it can survive on carpet for long and is resistant to disinfectant. perhaps steam cleaning the entire living room? i would do anything for her to stay healthy.

and thank you again, poppy is loved beyond measure. she’s quickly become the apple of our eye, our little princess! and not just us, even my grandmother (she’s the one who found poppy and the others) met us at the vet to make sure that she’s okay! she is one very loved little kitten. 💖

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you so much! they did prescribe her albon and it says for 10 days however we take her back for a follow up once the prescription ends to see how well it’s working! once we got home i made sure to do my research on coccidia so i could be prepared to help her to the best of my ability, should i request ponazuril when we go back to the vet if albon isn’t working for her now or wait until after the second round?

i must admit i was a nervous wreck at the vets office, tears and all. i was so worried her potty issues were stemming from a horrible illness and was relieved when we learned it was a treatable parasite issue. from what i’ve been reading about coccidia, we decided to continue to keep her mostly in the bathroom because that’s where her box is and easy to clean floors! we also let everyone who got any of her siblings know so they could get their sweet babies tested and treated for it as well.

do you have any recommendations for ammonia based cleaners? and when i clean the bathroom every few days, how long should i wait after doing so before putting her back in there? i don’t want any chemicals to affect her somehow. and is still having some playtime in the living room okay? it’s carpeted so now i’m worried that because of the carpet she could end up getting reinfected later.

while reading about coccidia i saw it can survive on carpet for long and is resistant to disinfectant. perhaps steam cleaning the entire living room? i would do anything for her to stay healthy.

and thank you again, poppy is loved beyond measure. she’s quickly become the apple of our eye, our little princess! and not just us, even my grandmother (she’s the one who found poppy and the others) met us at the vet to make sure that she’s okay! she is one very loved little kitten. 💖
If it were me I'd ask to get ponazuril instead just because I'd be impatient and wouldn't want to bother with the albon, but if you don't know your vet really well or just want to try their recommendation first, it won't hurt to give the albon a go and ask about ponazuril (aka Marquis paste) if it doesn't work. I'm not sure how much access a vet would have to it if they don't already know about it, but if you have a well-established local animal rescue they probably know how to get it and might have some for you.

The best for cleaning would be to get some ammonia like this, and dilute it to 10% with water in a spray bottle (about 3 ounces of ammonia for every 28 ounces of water), and spray, wipe down surfaces, and let sit for 10 minutes. That should kill the oocysts, and the cat should be fine to go back after. If you can't get a hold of that, many household cleaners already have ammonia in them and can help, but the 10% solution is ideal. Steam cleaning should also work on carpet.

I think letting her out on the carpet for play time is fine. You could steam clean it occasionally if you like, but most of the oocysts are going to be shed in the litter box or dragged around if she makes a mess, which does happen with kittens and diarrhea, so focus on cleaning those areas. If you were trying to keep another pet from getting infected, you'd want to be more strict with the quarantining and cleaning, but since she's the only one and she's on medication I don't think you need to be quite as careful. It's a bigger deal in shelters with dozens of animals where coccidia spreads like wildfire, which is why some recommendations you see about cleaning will be so rigorous.

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it were me I'd ask to get ponazuril instead just because I'd be impatient and wouldn't want to bother with the albon, but if you don't know your vet really well or just want to try their recommendation first, it won't hurt to give the albon a go and ask about ponazuril (aka Marquis paste) if it doesn't work. I'm not sure how much access a vet would have to it if they don't already know about it, but if you have a well-established local animal rescue they probably know how to get it and might have some for you.

The best for cleaning would be to get some ammonia like this, and dilute it to 10% with water in a spray bottle (about 3 ounces of ammonia for every 28 ounces of water), and spray, wipe down surfaces, and let sit for 10 minutes. That should kill the oocysts, and the cat should be fine to go back after. If you can't get a hold of that, many household cleaners already have ammonia in them and can help, but the 10% solution is ideal. Steam cleaning should also work on carpet.

I think letting her out on the carpet for play time is fine. You could steam clean it occasionally if you like, but most of the oocysts are going to be shed in the litter box or dragged around if she makes a mess, which does happen with kittens and diarrhea, so focus on cleaning those areas. If you were trying to keep another pet from getting infected, you'd want to be more strict with the quarantining and cleaning, but since she's the only one and she's on medication I don't think you need to be quite as careful. It's a bigger deal in shelters with dozens of animals where coccidia spreads like wildfire, which is why some recommendations you see about cleaning will be so rigorous.
i will definitely discuss options with her vet at the follow up! i just want her little body to be as healthy as can be!

and thank you so much for the cleaning advice! i will be cleaning the bathroom today as she is quite the kicker when it comes to litter. she has a mat though so luckily it’s mostly on that and i can clean it along with the entire floor for good measure. as well as put her blankets through a nice hot wash.

occasionally she gets a little messy and get litter in her paws, ive been keeping an eye on them and wiping them off as need be. she doesn’t seem to mind that too bad.

i was wondering if she would need a bath? and if she did, what is okay to wash kittens with? when i wipe her paws i just use a simple wet wipe.

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is VERY important to remember, mixing them can create 3 different types of toxic gas which build up to deadly amounts rather quickly in an un-ventilated space.
i will definitely not be mixing any chemicals! we don’t even have any bleach in the apartment currently, just the ammonia cleaning product that i picked up!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was wondering if she would need a bath? and if she did, what is okay to wash kittens with? when i wipe her paws i just use a simple wet wipe.
I don't think you need to do a bath unless you end up with a mess that a wet wipe can't fix! Wet wipes sound fine though. Sounds like you've got a great game plan!

Updates and pictures as she grows are welcome!

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think you need to do a bath unless you end up with a mess that a wet wipe can't fix! Wet wipes sound fine though. Sounds like you've got a great game plan!

Updates and pictures as she grows are welcome!
over the past few days we have really bonded! after she ate her lunch she hopped into my lap and just purred!

i love her to bits. i will keep updating about the coccidia situation as well, it’s only day 2 so not much different just yet!

here is the pic i took when she got settled in my lap
2886610D-CB03-47A8-B9D1-AAB641F8FB74.jpeg

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ugh she is so stinking cute I love it!
thank you!!

i actually have a quick question! poppy kind of walks a little weird. her back end kind of wobbles a bit. i checked to see if any of her legs or hips were causing her pain but she didn’t cry or anything when i checked them out. is this just how small kittens walk sometimes or should i ask the vet to check it out?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
perhaps steam cleaning the entire living room? i would do anything for her to stay healthy.
Steam cleaning is a good idea and it's non toxic. You can either get a portable one or get a heavy duty one since you are doing the living room area too. I have both, one for light cleaning and the other for heavy cleaning.
Just like what molly92 molly92 mentioned, Poppy does not need a bath unless she really soiled herself. My boy was rescued from a drain when he was around 3 weeks old and till now he has not take a bath :lol: He's coming to 4 1/2 years old.

When using wet wipes. get those that are fragrance, alcohol, Paraben and soap free wipes.
i actually have a quick question! poppy kind of walks a little weird. her back end kind of wobbles a bit. i checked to see if any of her legs or hips were causing her pain but she didn’t cry or anything when i checked them out. is this just how small kittens walk sometimes or should i ask the vet to check it out?
Can you post a video here or maybe send one to the vet or show it to the vet at the next visit.

It could be that she's still gaining strength on her health and therefore still wobble a little. But a vet's opinion is a better bet.

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Steam cleaning is a good idea and it's non toxic. You can either get a portable one or get a heavy duty one since you are doing the living room area too. I have both, one for light cleaning and the other for heavy cleaning.

Just like what molly92 molly92 mentioned, Poppy does not need a bath unless she really soiled herself. My boy was rescued from a drain when he was around 3 weeks old and till now he has not take a bath :lol: He's coming to 4 1/2 years old.

When using wet wipes. get those that are fragrance, alcohol, Paraben and soap free wipes.

Can you post a video here or maybe send one to the vet or show it to the vet at the next visit.

It could be that she's still gaining strength on her health and therefore still wobble a little. But a vet's opinion is a better bet.
just an update: still has diarrhea but i notice it doesn’t smell as bad, maybe that’s some progress? it’s day 5 of albon medicine.

i took a video for the vet but am unsure how to upload a video to here? the way she walks is just kind of wobbly. i’m unsure how to describe it.

but she still plays more and more everyday, eating great, ever so curious, acts as if nothing is wrong. i do wish that the diarrhea would clear up soon though. luckily we've been making it into the box on time.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just an update: still has diarrhea but i notice it doesn’t smell as bad, maybe that’s some progress? it’s day 5 of albon medicine.

i took a video for the vet but am unsure how to upload a video to here? the way she walks is just kind of wobbly. i’m unsure how to describe it.

but she still plays more and more everyday, eating great, ever so curious, acts as if nothing is wrong. i do wish that the diarrhea would clear up soon though. luckily we've been making it into the box on time.
You can't upload videos directly to the forum, you have to upload them somewhere else then link to them.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nice! Unfortunately I doubt it will be over with by the time she finishes the medicine, but glad there's a little improvement. Stress also plays a big role in how bad these intestinal parasites get, so her being happier might be helping too.

Kittens really are a force of nature! It takes more than a silly little parasite to keep them from playtime!

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
update: this sounds so gross to say and be happy about but we actually had a more solid poop yesterday! they’re still pretty loose/wet but it’s no longer just a gross little puddle, we are getting somewhere!

i know it’ll be a while before everything is normal but i can’t believe how happy i was to see it :lol:

poppy has officially taken over the apartment, it only took a week and now she’s running the place! literally! she runs and runs and runs all over during playtime. she’s also figured out how to climb on all chairs and couches.

she’s definitely become pretty spoiled as well, and i think she knows it! let’s just say she isn’t running low on any toys haha.

we have a nice established routine which i think really helped her adjust to living inside with us! she’s also eating very well and drinking from her water bowl now!

i’ve ordered her two covered litter boxes as she seems to be much more comfortable going potty when she’s “hidden” if that makes sense. it will also help contain her crazy litter kicking, she digs like no tomorrow and sends it flying!

a few more days until her follow up with the vet!
4A803BB4-5B5F-444F-AF58-603E6539CFCE.jpeg

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello everyone! poppy update!
she’s pooping completely NORMAL!!! we are so happy!
but we have our follow up appointment from the vet on monday so see where we stand with the coccidia!

poppy no longer hides, she no longer has to sleep in the bathroom, she is roaming around the apartment and being the happiest gal around! she also loves her new litter boxes very much, she took to using them immediately!

i cried with joy seeing her so comfortable and happy, i honestly didn’t expect her to bond with us as quickly as she did. i’m so proud of her and her progress 💖
DA5AA525-36CD-46F5-A67E-5488792A9FD4.jpeg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
hello everyone! poppy update!
she’s pooping completely NORMAL!!! we are so happy!
but we have our follow up appointment from the vet on monday so see where we stand with the coccidia!

poppy no longer hides, she no longer has to sleep in the bathroom, she is roaming around the apartment and being the happiest gal around! she also loves her new litter boxes very much, she took to using them immediately!

i cried with joy seeing her so comfortable and happy, i honestly didn’t expect her to bond with us as quickly as she did. i’m so proud of her and her progress 💖
IMG_3558.GIF
F458FFEF-C68C-432D-B670-1D2D790A131F$L0$001~photo.gif

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!!! I love how happy you and Poppy are!

You'd better keep posting picture updates as she grows up even when she stays healthy!