Newbie Looking For Advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to laugh. I was just in checking on them and noticed on of the kittens cord stumps fell off. I held it up to Fiona and she did that open mouth thing

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just weighed the kittens and 2 are 5oz and one is 4.6oz. Hope those are good sizes for 4 days old :) I'm going to weigh them in the mornings. I just got the scale now though, so was curious.

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much kmr do I give the mama cat? I can't make a new thread to ask because my posts just get merged, and no one answers.

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, can I put the kmr on crunchie food? Mama seems to be meowing more today. She has food in 2 rooms and water in 2 rooms. But she's really only wanting the canned food. So I wondered if I could put water or kmr on crunchie food for her to eat. Getting no replies in several threads, and if I make a new post they just get merged. so getting frustrated.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can add mixed KMR (water or goat's milk added to powder) to her dry food. But you can just make up a saucer full (3 - 4 ounces) and leave it out for her. I don't think there is any concern about the quantity to give her. She'll benefit from it as long as she is nursing her kittens. Is she malnourished?

The kittens are cute. But I don't think I've ever seen that color combination before.

Keep us updated.

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can add mixed KMR (water or goat's milk added to powder) to her dry food. But you can just make up a saucer full (3 - 4 ounces) and leave it out for her. I don't think there is any concern about the quantity to give her. She'll benefit from it as long as she is nursing her kittens. Is she malnourished?

The kittens are cute. But I don't think I've ever seen that color combination before.

Keep us updated.
She isn't malnourished, no. But she seems to be really hungry. I give her 3 to 4, 3oz cans of wet food a day, and have been putting some water in it as well, because she doesn't drink much that I've noticed. And one of the kittens is small (130G as of this morning) so I don't know if she isn't producing enough, or if the other 2 are keeping it away (they're 150G).

Someone told me the kittens have a fever coat

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put out a saucer of KMR. She will need the extra fat and protein to produce milk for the kittens. Keep weighing the kittens daily at the sometime. That way you can see if a kitten is not progressing (growing) properly. If the happens you will want to supplement feed the laggards.

Keep us posted, please.

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Put out a saucer of KMR. She will need the extra fat and protein to produce milk for the kittens. Keep weighing the kittens daily at the sometime. That way you can see if a kitten is not progressing (growing) properly. If the happens you will want to supplement feed the laggards.

Keep us posted, please.
I will. I just got the scale yesterday, so not sure what their starting weights were. I think they look and feel heavier. The 2 big ones for sure.

How does supplementing a kitten work? I mean does it get 1 small amount a day?

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she getting enough to drink just from the soft food? She doesn't seem like she's drinking much water to me. Then again I have been putting some in with the soft food.

She hasn't ate any kitten crunchie food today as well. Going to soak some in the kmr and leave it out for her tonight (I leave soft too. Hope it's ok out over night. I never fed cats I've previously owned soft food.)

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten weights this morning.

A went from 153g to 163g
B went from 149g to 171g (!!)
C went from 130g to 148g (this is the one I wondered if it needed some kmr)

So happy they had big gains :) :)

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's warm here today. Having a rough time getting Fiona to eat or drink anything. But kittens are content so I guess everything is ok.
20180805_184200.jpg

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Megan -- It looks like you are well on the way to being a succesful Cat Lady!

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fiona hasn't been eating her wet food. Yesterday I tried 3 times and ended up throwing 3 cans out cuz they just sat and sat. I'll try getting her a different flavour and see if that helps. She ate the crunchie food, so at least she's getting something. And one kitty put on another 20g. So I dunno.

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eyeballs are starting to open :D

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great pics! Are you still adding water to the canned food? Some cats don't like it that way. My cats are really picky about their wet food.