Newbie Looking For Advice!

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey! I'm going to try and make this short and sweet, but tend to ramble...lol

For the past month, give or take, I've had a stray cat in my yard (my town has no cat bylaw, so they're all over the place. It's really sad.) She is now looking pretty pregnant. My hubby said we can keep her, and one of the shelters near me said they can help find homes for the kittens when they're old enough.

She has been trying to follow me in to the house for the past 3 days, and now sits outside of the back door meowing when she wants me to come give her some love. She's a cheeky little tuxie!

I need help knowing how to transition her in to being an inside cat(How to get her to use a litter box inside, I put one outside but she's happy to ignore it and go in the trees/garden....again, she's cheeky lol) And what to do once she gives birth (I know she will pick wherever she wants, but I want to know how to try and prepare some areas she seems interested in. Also if I need to feed her more/what to feed her).

I have a 2.5 year old, who is very active. I also would like to know how to make the proper transition for them. We do have gates up, so she can't go where ever she likes, so the cat can hide from her if she wants.

There is another stray in the yard, who is very close to having kittens(foster told me 4 days to a week), and thankfully she is going to a foster home tomorrow. She's a long haired flame point siamese. So beautiful! Her hair bothers my husband, so that's why we cant keep her. This morning I was giving her some love, and miss tux was jealous, so she walked over to the cat food bag, looked at me and ripped a hole in the side....cheeky!!

Sorry for rambling! I'm not sure what else I should ask. Any advice is very welcome.

Thank you so much!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She seems pretty friendly already, don't think you will have too much trouble
you can put a little dirt on top of the kitty litter to start with. Others will be along with great advise! do you have a room you can put her in?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please take her indoors. Most stray cats are former pets who either got lost or were deliberately abandoned. It is not unusual for an indoor female going into heat to escape to find a mate, then not be able to find there way home.

You will be doing this cat and her kittens a great kindness.

I think Walli about covers it. But do feed her kitten food and Kitten Milk Replacement from now until she weens the kittens. She needs the extra calories and protein for kittens to be and for milk production as long as she is nursing her kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She seems pretty friendly already, don't think you will have too much trouble
you can put a little dirt on top of the kitty litter to start with. Others will be along with great advise! do you have a room you can put her in?
I'm going to straighten up the laundry room (when we bought the house that room had a cat door on it already. So pretty perfect. Just need to get a med kennel and proper litter box, food and water dish etc)

Will the dirt help her use the litter box? I wasn't sure if she would use a litter box in my house right away.

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please take her indoors. Most stray cats are former pets who either got lost or were deliberately abandoned. It is not unusual for an indoor female going into heat to escape to find a mate, then not be able to find there way home.

You will be doing this cat and her kittens a great kindness.

I think Walli about covers it. But do feed her kitten food and Kitten Milk Replacement from now until she weens the kittens. She needs the extra calories and protein for kittens to be and for milk production as long as she is nursing her kittens.
We will be bringing her in. We need to tidy up the laundry room for her stuff, and buy it.

Where can I buy the milk replacement?

I should have added that 3 weeks ago I put her picture on some local Facebook sites and no one has claimed her. Shes so sweet. It's been a few years since I've had a pet, and I really missed it.

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to add a picture of her. If anyone has name suggestions

I also wanted to add I've been feeding her a small can of mushy canned food twice a day, and she has a dish of crunchy out there for whenever she feels like it.

Attachments

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ah she cute! I think she will take to the litter box, I have a full on Feral
that took to it pretty quickly, you only need to sprinkle dirt on top for a little while in case she doesn't know what kitty litter is right away.
It's a natural instinct for cats to go in dirt, If you have any problems with it there are solutions! so keep posting!
Your a sweetheart!

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ah she cute! I think she will take to the litter box, I have a full on Feral
that took to it pretty quickly, you only need to sprinkle dirt on top for a little while in case she doesn't know what kitty litter is right away.
It's a natural instinct for cats to go in dirt, If you have any problems with it there are solutions! so keep posting!
Your a sweetheart!
Ok, next time in out I'll go sprinkle some dirt in the box. The rescue brought some silica litter, which I've never even seen before.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually started with a litter called Litter Attract and sprinkled dirt on top
didn't have any problems, she poo'd out of the box once and I put that in the litter box and that's all it took, she is a Feral tho, never seen a litter box.
I just buy regular kitty litter now.
The cat is so fortunate to have found you!!

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll see if we have anything like that here. Dirt hasn't been added yet, but will try shortly

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Megan --
You can find Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR) at Pet Smart and other pet stores. The TCS members have also mentioned that Walmart, and Tractor Stores carry it. You want to buy the powder mix. Not the liquid premixed form.

Please don't let her outside. Can you lock or block the cat door?

She looks like a very attractive tuxedo, complete with white shoes. But then, there are no ugly cats. Good luck with the kittens!

And keep us updated as how things are going≥ And the kittens.

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Megan --
You can find Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR) at Pet Smart and other pet stores. The TCS members have also mentioned that Walmart, and Tractor Stores carry it. You want to buy the powder mix. Not the liquid premixed form.

She looks like a very attractive tuxedo, complete with white shoes. But then, there are no ugly cats. Good luck with the kittens!

We will bring her in ASAP. Need to buy supplies this weekend (we have no pets currently).

She's so sweet. Wish I could come up with a name for her, though!

She still won't use the litter box. I'll be searching this website to see if anyone has asked, and I can get ideas. I have sprinkled dirt in there. I put her in and she just hopped out to rub on my legs, and give me love bites...little cutie :)

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Megan --

Oh, I also wanted to add, that the cat flap is on the laundry room door, I'm going to hopefully get her to be an inside kitty.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once the litter box is inside she will use it, she will go there rather than anyplace else, something about cats. Your so fortunate she is so friendly!!
this is gonna go pretty well!

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once the litter box is inside she will use it, she will go there rather than anyplace else, something about cats. Your so fortunate she is so friendly!!
this is gonna go pretty well!
She's friendly but keeps beating up the other mama. Feel bad for her, thankfully the rescue and foster are coming for her this morning. Then I can get Miss Thang settled