New To Site And New Furbaby

Starznight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I recently had to put down my 17 yr old Bengal mix after he suffered a severe stroke, and this left my poor “special” 8 yr old rag doll mix very lonely and depressed. So we got him a little sister, a 2 yr old calico from a local no-kill shelter. Which I have to say I’m less than impressed with the care she received there, she suffers from tail drop from a stress induced paralysis, severe constipation that we’re still trying to clear out with medication and special diet (3 weeks now and she’s still not emptied her colon completely of the compacted poo) and also dealing with a severe bladder infection. At two weeks we had already spent a little over $600 in vet care which would have been more if not for my being friends with the vet and her treating her at cost. Aside from all the major health issues which current has my house covered in puppy training pads, she is just the sweetest little thing who is getting on famously with her new big brother who feels it’s his personal mission to teach her hakuna ma tata.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about your Bengal. and im glad you got a little sister for your rag doll. I am sorry about her health issues. It is amazingly horrible what stress can do to a cat. I feel your pain with the vet care, i had lots of vet bills after i got my little white cat. Bless your heart for taking care of her. I always feel like i got my white one, with all of her health issues as an act of fate. I dont know how many people would have noticed her problems or been willing to put in the time, and the money it took to save her. My vet said not many would have gone to the lengths she needed. So Bless you for taking care of your new baby.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for her. Welcome to our site, and keep us updated. Photos are fun when you get time :)

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site and a big thanks for rescuing a kitty with some health issues. I'm sure she'll have 'no worries' soon when it's all sorted. I'm very sorry to hear about your Bengal.
Have you any pics?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2:
Condolences on the loss of your Squeaky Toy. :alright: RIP sweet boy. :angel3:

Thank you for adopting a kitty with health issues. I'm glad you friend is a vet and is giving you treatment at cost. Hopefully sweet Gumdrop will be healthy again soon, and will become best buds with Snowcap. :catlove:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starznight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, a hard decision had to be made for poor gumdrop. It appears that her tail drop was not from a nervous disorder but from a tail pull injury which severed the nerves, faced with a lifetime of chronic bladder infections being unable to void her bladder and constant enemas to clear her bowels which she is equally incapable of doing she has been euthanized.

I am terribly upset with the shelter I received her from, they had not informed me of any medical problems, they had placed her as a fore-runner in a public adoption drive, and it is obvious by how poor her health was when I brought her home that they did not provide adequate care in the four months they housed her. As hard as it is to say goodbye to a beloved fur-baby, it’s all the more wretched to know that they have been suffering for a while needlessly.

I can only take comfort in knowing that the last month of her life was spent in a good home, with lots of care and affection and all attempts possible made to see to her comfort. However that will not stop me from discovering a way to report the shelter I received her from for gross negligence.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry to read this. :sniffle:
Condolences to you. :alright: RIP sweet Gumdrop. You were loved. :angel:

Sadly Gumdrop's story is very similar to another cat's adoption from a shelter that after much worry and love from the adopter, the cat was euthanized. If/when you are ready to read it, here's the link: Recently Adopted Stray Cat From Kill List

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so very, very sorry about Gumdrop. And poor Snowcap, to have lost BOTH siblings. But you are very, very welcome here, and bless you for making Gumdrop's last weeks filled with love and the peace of knowing "home."

Rest you gentle, Squeaky Toy and Gumdrop, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
B8CC6848-61AE-4458-A578-A669B25CCD37.gif
Starznight and Snowcap,
253F74A2-35B5-4BF9-B2E5-C8443CDC816F.gif
To TCS :wave3:

So
AC8B8961-85F5-44D8-A841-2BBEF40EBA72.gif
to hear about Squeaky Toy and Gumdrop. Thank you for adopting Gumdrop despite of her health issues. Bless your heart.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and many members here are most willing to chip in with their experiences.

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Last edited:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your losses. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to lose two in such a brief time. Thanks for taking Gumdrop and making the last month of her life a month of love and affection. :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starznight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much to everyone! It has been a rough month that’s for sure, but Snowcap now has two new brothers he is absolutely in love with... I’ll share their story in another thread though because this one still makes me want to cry