New to raw feeding and have questions!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you that Kitty's time with you has been, and will continue to be, the best she has ever had. I'm so happy for her that her remaining time, and her illness, is to be spent in your loving arms. I hope she continues to have excellent quality of life for many more months. :hugs: :heart3:

Last edited:

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted a feral cat that had been fostered for 2 months. When I got her, she had explosive diarrhea. I did the pumpkin thing, took her to the vet (they had to catch her in a net as she flew through the air once the carrier was opened), they gave her their food (Science Diet) and some medicine. For four weeks I watched this poor animal suffer. Nothing helped. Then I found this site. Many people suggested raw food. At first I bought her RAD, then I learned to make my own. 24 hours after giving her RAD, which she can't get enough of, the diarrhea went away. It has been 6 months now and it has not returned. Maybe switching raw brands or making it yourself (great recipe on catinfo.com) may help. Good luck with her. By the way, I also found that several months after making her food she stopped biting and scratching and got very friendly. Guess a happy tummy makes a happy kitty!

Lei Ann

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oakshimmer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I am sorry I have not been posting as often, but since I have the hang of the raw feeding, I just don't want to rob the spotlight from anyone needing any real good advice!

I did feel that it would be nice to stop in and let you all know what is the latest news on Kitty and her raw food adventures as well as her health. The good news is she is feeling well, and maybe too well... she seems to be gaining a little too much weight these days as she was a nice 9lbs and she is now a whopping 12lbs!
I have decided it would be best to cut her back a little since I want her too stay healthy and pretty as always. Momma was getting a little too carried away with Kitty's extreme cuteness and couldn't say no when she would beg for a tasty treat. But enough is enough!
Kitty needs to go on a diet! We had sushi a few weeks ago, and when I order for myself I do get the raw salmon and of course the shrimp sushi. Kitty never had sushi before, but when she smelled me eating it she had to try it! She almost tore my arm off to get to the salmon, and also snagged some shrimp too!
I had to pretty much stand to eat the rest before Kitty got sassy over it all!
Tonight I was making some hard boiled eggs, and while I was peeling them she was begging as usual, so of course I did succumb to her cuteness once more and gave her a bit to try.
She nibbled at it, but I am not sure that she was as thrilled about it as the dog was. She mostly tried to eat it but spit most of it out. Maybe it's a texture thing, but she had to try it!

The overall has been great. Aside of her current health condition she seems to be feeling really good. Eating like a slob, and tearing up her scratch post. As a matter of fact, I had to get her a new post today because hers is soooo worn out. I just placed the new one next to the old for now, so we will see how it goes.

Off the topic a little when it comes to Kitty but I had to take the dog into the vet the other day because her teeth smelled horrible to the point that you would gag when she would come near. I found out she has an infection in her mouth, and I was told by the vet to of course get dental work done and also get some antibiotics till we could afford the dental. She also was pushing the prescription dental food in kibble form, an I was like " kibble is what caused all this". Needless to say I have switched the dog to the raw too because I don't want to risk further issues with her dental on that poison she was eating! (I know that was extreme). The dog of course loves the raw so it was an easy switch!

Well, I will stop by soon again, hope everyone is well and having fun experimenting and spoiling their furry friends with the raw feeding. I am still amazed at the way my Kitty feels eating this way. She has never been better!

Take care!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news. LOL!  Angel gained weight on raw too. I think he loved it toooo much!!  He went from 14lbs, to 16lbs, but now have him down to 15, & working on that last lb. Unfortunately, after all the bouts of cystitis, & the crystals not going away, (despite giving him I.V. fluids & good grain free wet food)  we had to put him on the Rx food. I tried not to go there, but in the end, had no choice. It worked though!  Just a few wks ago, he got his first "all clear" urinalysis sense Christmas!! 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: I am SO happy to hear about Kitty! I've been wondering how she's doing. Awww.... this makes me so happy! I'm sorry she gained so much weight - but it must be near impossible not to spoil her rotten! :lol3: :D :heart2:

Mine all gained weight on raw at first, because I didn't know how much to feed. I finally have everyone but Billy and Chumley down to healthy weights. Chumley is just because I feel bad cutting down the amount of food I'm feeding him, and Gary keeps spoiling him with treats off his plate. :rolleyes:

Kelly - I'm so happy to hear about Angel! :clap: :clap: : clap:

oakshimmer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Well the news is not good. Kitty is facing her last days/weeks with us.
Her tumor has grown quite large pretty fast and she is declining rapidly. She is still eating and drinking and using the litter box, but she has been spending most of her time sleeping and resting. I can tell that that her time with me will be coming to an end soon as she is not herself anymore.
She used to hang out with me where ever I would go, beg for treats and play around. Now I have to call her for her meals, which she still gladly eats, but is not bugging me to get them. She does not seem to want to play much since she is now in pain. I do have her on a pain killer but they make her tired and she just sleeps. She spends her entire evenings curled up next to my chest, and waits till I wake inthe morning for breakfast time. We both seem to enjoy our cuddling at night, which I cherish and know I will miss dearly.

Last night I knew her time was getting near because after applying an anti itch cream to her ear, she scratched at the tumor and it started to bleed. I tried to aid in cleaning it up but she was very upset and was growly with me. I ended up having to put a e collar on her so she would not cause further trama to herself.
I did order her a soft e collar so if she must wear one till the end, then at least she can be comfortable. The tumor is causing her to squint her eye on the same side too. So I know that she is fading. I am sad but at the same time comforted with the time we have left together to cuddle and be close. I am going to miss my baby, but I know in these final moments of her life I must stay strong for her.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry to hear this about Kitty. I hope you two will cherish your remaining time together. Many vibes and hugs.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh sweetie.... I'm so so so sorry. We were all hoping you'd have more time with her. :heart2: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: At least you can take comfort in that you provided her the very best, and at least she enjoyed being a "normal" kitty without GI stress before the cancer took over. Gosh, I hate saying that. :(

Please know I'll be holding you and Kitty close. :heart2: :grphug2: :grphug2: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sad to hear this news. Like Laurie said, you have done the best for her. I will be sending vibes & prayers of peace & strength for you, & comfort for the both of you.

oakshimmer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. She seems comfortable at the moment. I was surprised at how alert she was when I got home. She was looking forward to her dinner. I took the collar off so she could eat and have her after dinner bath, then she wanted to go out to the balcony to soak up some sun. The cone went back on though cuz she wants to itch it.

She seems a bit happier today so far. So this is nice. The pain meds must be helping her. I will keep you all posted on how she is doing.

Thank you for the love.

oakshimmer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitty is still hanging in there,

although she is more waek an tired lately. It pains me to know I am loosing my baby girl, and I know that I will never find another like her. We keep taking things day by day, I stay alert to her signals to let me know when it is time to let her go. I am having a tough time doing this though as she is so very special to me. She is still eating her meals and accepting her treats but spends most of her time sleeping. The vet said not to let her bask in the sun, but at these last days she is allowed to take it all in. She loves the sun, which is unfortunatly the reason why she is sick.
I just can't say no to her though at this point since she loves it sooooo much. I do make shade for her though, because I get worried for her. The pain meds make her tired so she sleeps a lot. She was doing this though before the pain meds came into the picture. She wont play with her toys, but shows some sign of interest at times but can't seem to muster up the true desire to get active that way anymore.

I am staying strong for her, acting asthough nothing is happening even though in my heart I am breaking inside. We cuddle at night, where she wants to sleep in my arms, she grips me tight till we both fall asleep. She waits for me to wake up so we can have breakfest, then she takes a small bath and goes right back to sleep. My poor baby girl. We tried so hard to fix this. It makes me so very sad it has to be this way. Our 2 years together have been so wonderful. I am going to miss her.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful life she has with you. I'm sorry it isn't to be longer, but for her, these two years have been everything. I know how much it hurts, going through something like this. It's wonderful that you are able to keep your heartbreak hidden, so all she feels is the love. When Tolly :angel: was fading (cancer) I used to go sit in my car when I needed to cry. :hugs: :heart3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwww, the cape is so cute on her! :lovegrin2: And I'm SO SO SO happy to hear she's feeling better, even on the lower dose of pain medication. :heart2: I think about you two and send vibes all the time! Thanks for the pictures. :) :sun: :heart2: :hugs: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

oakshimmer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am having a tough time with knowing if I should let my little girl go.

She is not doing well, even on the medication I just does not seem like she is feeling good. I always hold a small bit of hope that maybe she will feel better a little while longer but I know I am only kidding myself. It's hard knowing that she is going to die, I think to myself that I don't want to take her life if there is a little left in it for her. But when I look at her I just know she is not happy. She sleeps so much, and when I do wake her, she just looks at me like she wants to be alone to rest. I am confused because she does still come to eat, get treats, will accept some cuddles, but I know deep down she is not feeling well. I have had to let other pets go in the past, but their passing was pretty fast. Usually I was faced with the decision to let them go because of circumstances that I had no other options, but with Kitty it's different. She is different, her end is new to me and I just don't want to say goodbye unless now is truly the time. How do I know when to let go? Am I being cruel not putting her down? I don't want to make the wrong choice and I certainly don't want her to suffer. I know she is in pain, but I have know way of really knowing if the pain meds are helping or not since they are supposed to cause drowsiness. I just don't know what to do. How do I know when enough is enough? This is so hard. 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: It is so hard. Talk to her. Tell her the things you have said here. Look deep into her eyes and ask her to tell you if she's had enough, and pay attention to her response. If you don't think you are getting one, keep asking, not constantly, but every time you cuddle with her or share a treat, tell her how you feel and how you want to do right by her. Assure her you will be okay, if she wants to go, you will honor that, she shouldn't worry about you.

I am a firm believer in the adage "too soon is better than too late". I know not everyone agrees with me, but I just cannot bear to see a beloved pet suffer when I know there is not going to be any end to the suffering, except the end. I see it as my responsibility, to protect them from that kind of suffering.

The buprenex is a good medication. Perhaps she isn't feeling any pain. Ask her. :hugs:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never been in this situation, but I think otto's advice is good advice. I'm sorry you are going through this. I will pray that you receive a clear answer in your heart, so you can be at peace

with a decision.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't been in the situation either. But do take otto's advice, and based on that, trust that you will understand her signals when she's ready to leave. :heart2:

With people, we can't end their lives, but my mom just went through this with my dad. He didn't want to be kept alive with any artificial means, so at the end, he received palliative care. When he stopped swallowing, that is the beginning of the end. He did a lot of sleeping, and the hospice workers explained to my mom that patients need a "lot of internal time" during the transition. :heart2: Like your baby, he was given pain meds, so he was comfortable. If she's still eating, enjoying some treats, and accepting some cuddles, I wouldn't take her sleeping all the time as "the" sign that she's ready to go. :heart2:

If someone, or a kitty, is comfortable, I don't see anything wrong with letting the process evolve naturally. If you're sure she's in pain, or she gives you clear signals she's ready to go, that's a different situation. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I'm so sorry, sweetie. :grphug2: Know that I'm holding you and Kitty close. :heart2: :rub: :hugs: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

oakshimmer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You guys all touch my heart so much with your replies.
You have know idea how much you all have helped me and Kitty through our little journey from the beginning till now.
I have done some thinking about what you have all said, and I think you are all right. And LGD, thank you for sharing you personal story about your Dad, it moved me very much and I am so appreciative that you shared that with me. It made me really think about what palliative care and hospice is all about. And today she ended up having a "good" day. Otto, when you said to talk to her, I felt like she told me not yet, and that it's not yet the end, but I do have to get ready for when it is and keep checking with her.
Thank-you Angels Mommy for your kind words and prayers, maybe it was the prayers that helped Kitty to have a good evening.

When it comes to the sleeping, I suppose I just miss her being active and playful. So I am not used to having her sleep so much. But she is on the pain meds and I was told it would make her drowsy and sedated. She does seem like she is able to rest and I think she is comfortable so long as I am on top of giving her the medication at the right times. I am keeping a schedule and making sure she get what she needs. Funny thing is she is eating like a pig,
she feels like she has gained a few extra pounds, but at this time I just let her live it up as much as she wants, eat like a queen, and even sleep on my pillow if she wants! She will always be my little princess.

I am so glad that I have you all here for support. You all give very sound advice. I can rest a bit better knowing I am not being cruel, and that I just need to really watch her signals. I do spend alot of time with her, so sometimes she just seems to have "bad days" and then she will have "good days". She is hanging in there still. Thank you all for being there for us.