New Rescue Peed Outside The Box- Click For More Info!

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, my previous post detailed how I adopted a 3 or 4 year old fixed female from a bad situation. Here is a little background: She was in a house with 5 kids, the mom did not have time for her and did not notice she had been peeing outside the litter box. I believe she did this for two reasons. 1. The box was full and 2. She pees super high and the litter box was 5 inches tall. I have three cats currently, a kitten who is almost a year old (girl), a 10 year old boy and my new rescue. They all love each other. Today I noticed the new rescue peeing outside the litter box. Mind you, I had not cleaned it today so that was partly my bad but it also got me thinking, maybe she has a bladder infection. I made a vet appointment for tomorrow AM but was wondering if perhaps she might hate a full litter box. I'm keeping the appointment but was just wondering if anyone out there had this happen before. I don't know why this is freaking me out, I just feel bad for her. I only have two litter boxes but a 3rd is on the way.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its great that the new rescue already loves the other cats, but there could still be some lingering moved into new digs stress. And stress can lead cats to pee outside the litter box. So that could be it, but also habits are a thing with cats. And if the cat got used to peeing outside the box with the old family, you could definitely have a habit. The key with a habit is to try and figure out exactly what the habit is and prevent the circumstances that trigger it. Like if the cat likes to go in a corner, keep her in one room for now with a box in each corner. If you can't figure out the habit, or its just a pee anywhere habit, you could have trouble. Of course, proceed with the vet visit, because your right, medical issues including but not limited to bladder infections, also cause this. "Protest peeing" is also a thing of course, and some cats are more persnickety about the cleanliness of their box than others. Adding another box and trying to clean more, at least for now, is a good idea, but I wouldn't assume that this is the issue.

Use nature's miracle or another enzyme cleaner to clean up after accidents, and maybe try a box with a lid to address the "high peeing" issue. Some cats don't like those, but you can try things and see what works.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its great that the new rescue already loves the other cats, but there could still be some lingering moved into new digs stress. And stress can lead cats to pee outside the litter box. So that could be it, but also habits are a thing with cats. And if the cat got used to peeing outside the box with the old family, you could definitely have a habit. The key with a habit is to try and figure out exactly what the habit is and prevent the circumstances that trigger it. Like if the cat likes to go in a corner, keep her in one room for now with a box in each corner. If you can't figure out the habit, or its just a pee anywhere habit, you could have trouble.

Use nature's miracle or another enzyme cleaner to clean up after accidents, and maybe try a box with a lid to address the "high peeing" issue. Some cats don't like those, and some cats won't climb into a box much deeper then the 5 inches you have, but you can try things and see what works.

Good luck!
Honestly, she was doing just fine going in the boxes (as much as I could tell) till maybe today (when I forgot to clean them...). It might have to do with her hating a dirty box? She walked up to the one litter box I have (the one she peed outside of) smelled it, then proceed to use her paw at the opening to 'cover it'. I went ahead and ordered the cleaner you mentioned. Thank you so much. She seems to love the bigger litter box I have in the back. My other cats are 8 pounds but she is close to 15 so it makes me wonder if maybe the inside the house box isn't big enough ? Oh man... I'm super worried. I don't want to get rid of her :(

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The suggested litter box recommendation is 1 box for every cat, plus 1. So with your 3 cats, that would mean 4. Now lots of cats get along with less than that. But then there's the "clean freaks" who don't want to use a dirty box. There are even some cats who insist on peeing in one box, pooping in another. So getting another litter box is a very good start. Plus, if you can, try not to put all the boxes in the same room.

Here's some TCS articles on litter box issues. Good luck with your new kitten! :catlove:

The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?
Litter Box Location Secrets
How Often Should You Clean The Litter Box?
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
How To Remove Cat Urine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The suggested litter box recommendation is 1 box for every cat, plus 1. So with your 3 cats, that would mean 4. Now lots of cats get along with less than that. But then there's the "clean freaks" who don't want to use a dirty box. There are even some cats who insist on peeing in one box, pooping in another. So getting another litter box is a very good start. Plus, if you can, try not to put all the boxes in the same room.

Here's some TCS articles on litter box issues. Good luck with your new kitten! :catlove:

The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?
Litter Box Location Secrets
How Often Should You Clean The Litter Box?
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
How To Remove Cat Urine
I feel you are correct about the clean freak. She was just outside a box I just cleaned and pawed at the outside as if to cover the box, I think I will dump the litter out and scrub the box like I did the other one. I have two more litter boxes on the way and I am going to try and find the old litter she used to use. Thank you so much for the links, every little bit helps me!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fingers crossed you can get a litter box system that pleases your little princess. :crossfingers:

:goodluck: