New 'raw plan' sound ok?

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been dealing with one of my cats not eating lately so my plan to switch to raw has been put on hold. Today I decided to get back into my research and decided to look at the hare today website. I have not looked at it before because I am in Canada and didn't wanna look at something I cant have ..lol.

Anyways I looked and made a pretend order of what I THINK would work(ill explain in a min) and it was totally affordable.. like 2 times cheaper than trying to buy meat and suppliments in Canada.. and easier than trying to do frankenprey for me because honestly it scares me!

So there is this place in usa that I have packages sent to because I live on the border.. I know meat cant cross the border but I called and asked anyways and turns out less than 20KG can! so I am so excited about this possibility. I wouldn't be able to do huge orders but it would be 3 or 4 months worth anyways I figure I could order max.

my pretend order consisted of;

UNSCENTED Icelandic Salmon Oil, 17 oz Bottle

35lb of fine ground chicken/bone/something.. organ? I cant remember

Alnutrin for Cats, For 35 lbs. Ground Meat/Bones/Organs  

My cats ideal weight together is about 19-20lb.. so id use about 12lb of meat monthly I think.. so that is almost 3 months of food.

It said it could ship in 2 days .. so would it be okay by the time I got it home?

I would make it ship so it arrives on my day off and I could keep calling all morning till it arrived, then it would take me 1.5-2.5 hours to get it home depending on bridge times. Would it be okay to package and refreeze at that point? Is this diet okay for my guys? How often should I switch meat sources, because chicken seamed so affordable.. should I use sardines instead of the fish oil?

I plan to switch to chunks once they are on the raw.. and I would have to use a supplement for boneless organless... then after that I will switch up to frankenprey. this would give the cats adjustment time and also give me time to feel ok about it lol.

Even their whole prey seamed good pricing honestly.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about using Alnutrin with calcium and using local meats? Before my grinder came in I used premixes and cut the meat into chunks.

What's going on that your cat isn't eating well?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds like a good plan. It is good to have a minimum of 3 proteins in rotation. How often you switch is up to you (and your cats of course!).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Local meat is like 2 or 3 times more expensive here lol. I have a threadon her called worried about her...

Vball- dry food tells u to take a week to switch but I have read to balance raw over 2 weeks ehich is why Iwwasn't sure about rotating. :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since you'd be ordering from Hare-Today anyway, instead of ordering all chicken, why not order some of the fine ground turkey, and maybe one other protein, all at the some time?  I think they sell most of it as the meat/bones/organs, don't they.  And you can get it all fine ground, I'm pretty sure.  Just email Tracy if it doesn't say that, and she'll confirm or not.

As far as mailing, can you have it sent to someone's home in the US?  I think for Fed Ex or UPS or however Hare-Today ships, you have to have a physical address.  But, in answer to your question, you should be ok to make the drive home, and the meat will probably still be frozen, so you won't need to repackage it...just pop most of it in your freezer as it except what you want to start with. 

Oh, and lots of people use both the Salmon Oil AND sardine! 

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes I could deffinatly switch up some of the meat. and I think pak and ship should be okay because they have a physical address..they are a place that takes in packages for Canadians to be able to pay to pick up. Is it not possible to mix it with the water and supplement and package it into servings then refreeze it? that way I would only have to take the serving out to defrost and pump some oil on before serving?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I think you should be able to have it delivered to that place your mentioned.

As to repackaging it, all I was trying to say was that it will probably still all be frozen when you get home, so you will still need to defrost whatever you need to in order to mix in your Alnutrin and water and put in smaller containers and refreeze
  When I get it shipped all the way to Arizona and it's over 100 degrees (plus it takes 3 days to get here, most of the stuff is still frozen.  Sometimes if there are smaller (1 lb packages of ground organs) packages along the sides of the box, they may have started to thaw, but not normally....only if there's a  really bad heat wave going all across the country

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh I see what you mean! And thawing and refreezing is safe for my guys? Oh I am getting excited about all this. I wonder how much sapce I would need to make for 35 lb of meat..let alone once its prepared to refreeze!