New Kittens

GlitterKittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, how is the kitten today? Good she is eating and gaining well at least. How does the congestion manifest? Is there sneezing or a rattling noise? It could be a number of things, an allergy, or a uri, or something and nothing that passes quickly, etc. either way if you are in the position to do so and it is unchanged since you posted this might be a good idea to get a vet appt and get a more informed opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurenjayne89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten is good today going to weigh them in a minute so will know that soon, she just sounds like shes blocked up but no sneezing and when she cries she sounds croaky. I'm going to call the vet as they are not open today and get some advice and he may suggest going tomorrow. I was looking up uri and I'm not sure its that as shes been like it since she was born and its not got worse but don't want to take any chances incase she goes downhill.

GlitterKittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When Morrigan was a sniffly kitten many years ago I put her in the bathroom after a hot steamy shower which eased it. She was ten weeks (ish) old at that point though, not as young as yours. Getting a vet check tomorrow is a good idea and reassuring. Are you in the Uk?

laurenjayne89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I'm the UK the other kitten is definitely bigger is that common in litters to have them at different weights? Im going to be watching them feeding a bit closer as she could be getting pushed out when feeding which would explain a lot! Also matilda is not eating half as much as she was before she had them she's picking. I bought so royal canin wet food for mother and baby cat and she was happy to eat some of that but I'm used to her eating loads and loads!

GlitterKittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did she eat the placentas? Tried her with a dish of kitten milk replacement as well as the baby food? When you go to the vet get them to check everyone over. Yes not uncommon to get them at different weights, one may have been conceived a few days after the other, I remember you saying she was AWOL for three weeks, that said they were both good weights on delivery. What is the weight differential now?

laurenjayne89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's a good 20 grams between them now! I notice the bigger one feeding all the time though she doesn't seem to stop! She ate everything as when I found them they were all clean and there was no mess what so ever! I will keep going into her room and male sure that both are feeding. They both seem happy content and don't make much noise unless I take them to weigh them!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they can easily be different sizes. Do get the congested sounding kitten checked by a vet.

laurenjayne89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they can easily be different sizes. Do get the congested sounding kitten checked by a vet.
Funny enough the kitten sounds fine now but I will keep an eye on it and call the vet so he can be on stand by! I'm very lucky I have a lovely vet who is happy to see and give advice for free and offers a payment plan if anything comes up. The bigger girl is now over 200grams at 4 days old she is gaining over 20grams in 24 hrs where as the smaller girl gains 10 maybe a few more is that ok? Ive seen both feed and I don't see her being pushed off.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, 10 grams or more per day is good! It sounds like you have an awesome vet! :)

laurenjayne89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Although they are both girls you can tell how different they are already! I think I'll go to weighing every 24 hours as I think I'm doing it too often and then worrying as only seeing a small gain and I'm guessing if they go to the toilet it may fluctuate in a few hours!

GlitterKittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weigh same time every day if possible, ideally under the same circumstances, eg, just after a meal or after a nap. Only need to weigh more frequently if there is a cause for concern but they sound responsive, settled, making and decent steady gains so far :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What amount of weight gain does this represent for each kitten?

laurenjayne89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the looks of it they could out grow matilda soon! :lol:

laurenjayne89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a lot of tabby ness going on :)
So much tabby I'm wondering whether dad was tabby as well! Although both kittens have completely different markings I am not sure what types though!