New Kitten Probably Has Herpes. Worried For My Resident Cat.

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just adopted a new kitten. He has a slightly runny nose and slightly watery eyes now. Vet feels probably herpes. He was found on the street a couple mos ago and had a upper respiratory infection then, so this is probably a recurrence.

I'm worried for my resident cat. We've kept the kitten blockaded in our family room for now, but I know it's contagious and that she will certainly be exposed eventually. She's vaccinated, but I know that isn't at all 100%.

I feel awful but I'm wondering if I should return new kitten to his foster. But then, I really want a second cat, I really prefer adopting cats from shelters/fosters, and I'm sure the chance of any rescue cat having herpes is probably pretty darn high?

What would you do? ☹

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten I discussed about in this thread
Young Kitten With Several Issues - Possible Felv
was diagnosed with herpes. The disease had her partially lose her left eye. I was just fostering her while looking for a good new home for her.
Two persons called me, they already had a resident cat and when they learned about the herpes, they called their vets and the doctors adviced them not to adopt the kitten because even if the adult cats were up to date with their vaccines, the risk of contagion was too high for them.
Eventually the kitten went to a new home as the only kitten in the house.

I have an adult cat at home. The two cats never lived together but I was with both of them. My cat has her vaccine out of date, she's been off for the last two years, and got nothing.

You should call your vet and listen what their opinion is. They know your cat well.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While there is no guarantee 100% that the vaccinated cat is resistant to the virus, there's a much better chance that he will not get it.
When they do, and it can happen, it's usually mild symptoms of a cold once and that's the last you see of it for good.
It's when they are exposed while their systems are weaker and immature that causes the reoccurring virus, like when kittens have or get it. Then it tends to be more prominent, and you will likely see as the kitten grows in to an adult, the symptoms fade as their immune systems are stronger.

Vets vary in opinions, it's easy for them to advise what the safest thing is since they don't want their client coming back to say 'you said it was okay and now my cat has a cold' type thing in case it did happen, that's really all.

ayriad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, I have so much to learn about cats. I didn’t even know a cat could have herpes.
My cats have all been found in the yard.
One as a kitten the vet said he had a cold and would out grow it. He did.
I understand the fear to your present cat(s)
being infected with something. I’m experiencing a bit of fear too with an injured stray. Maybe get a second opinion if you can. I know vet bills are so expensive.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got two kittens 6 months ago. One is likely to have herpes but they did not test for it. We also have a 12-year old girl. We have seen no sign of herpes in either of the other cats and very little issues with the one they believe may have it. The Vet says with a lot of love, good nutrition and a warm place a lot of kittens outgrow it and the flares up can be non existent. We are hoping for that because all three are our forever kittens. I mean who wouldn’t love this face?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow, I have so much to learn about cats. I didn’t even know a cat could have herpes.
My cats have all been found in the yard.
One as a kitten the vet said he had a cold and would out grow it. He did.
I understand the fear to your present cat(s)
being infected with something. I’m experiencing a bit of fear too with an injured stray. Maybe get a second opinion if you can. I know vet bills are so expensive.

Ayriad, cat herpes is not the same as human herpes at all, it is nicknamed that because of how it has the ability to hibernate in the cat's system and will show itself during times of stress if it wants.
It is actually rhinotracheitis, the most common upper respiratory illness seen in cats displayed as a cold, usually with watery or goopy eyes.
It is the "R" in the feline vaccine FVRCP.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just adopted a new kitten. He has a slightly runny nose and slightly watery eyes now. Vet feels probably herpes. He was found on the street a couple mos ago and had a upper respiratory infection then, so this is probably a recurrence. ..

I feel awful but I'm wondering if I should return new kitten to his foster. But then, I really want a second cat, I really prefer adopting cats from shelters/fosters, and I'm sure the chance of any rescue cat having herpes is probably pretty darn high?

What would you do? ☹
Did your vet tell you that the majority of cats are either positive for herpes or have been exposed to it? If is much like humans being exposed to colds - it is just a fact of life unless you live in a bubble. Unless your resident cat is immune compromised, I wouldn't worry about it.
Feline herpes (FHV-1) is very common. So much so that back when my kitten (from a rescue) was showing moderate signs of it, at least two vets thought it was a waste of my money to test specifically for it. They just assumed that she had it by what they were seeing in her. But I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was dealing with, so I paid for an Upper Respiratory Disease PCR Panel to be done. (You can see here that she tested positive for it.) You can do that too, but again, this is very common - although kittens and cats can have varying degrees of severity or possible recurrences of FHV-1 over the years.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. There are varying degrees of the virus as mentioned, some are severe and have more of a tendency to reoccur now and then once kitten has grown, but your kitten sounds rather mild so a good chance once it's outgrown the symptoms will not be seen much at all if ever again during it's life.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine got very sick with some sort of cat flu virus many years ago when he was about a year old (he was vaccinated btw). It's never caused him any bother since until recently, when it flared up after surgery and a hospital stay (so he was very run down and a bit stressed) and he got very congested, it didn't get too serious thank goodness.

It's almost certainly Feline Herpesvirus (herpes covers a family of related viruses far wider than what you may be familiar with hearing the term herpes in connection with - chicken pox in humans is a herpesviruses, as is feline herpesvirus which causes upper respiratory problems much like a very bad cold or flu in humans, but sometimes with eye issues).

So many cats carry the virus that it is considered endemic to the species - most cats are expected to carry it and have occasional flare-ups when stressed or in poor health.

EDIT: I would keep them separated until your kitten is recovered from any nasal congestion or runny eyes, usually with viruses of this type that lie dormant, they are most contagious when symptoms are showing.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As many others have said, FHV or feline herpes virus, is incredibly common and most cats have a form of the virus stored in their systems anyway. It will clear up within two weeks and your kitten and cat will be ok! I’ve had my resident cat for eight years. She caught a cold (herpes virus) from a foster kitten a few years ago that cleared up within five days. She never showed any symptoms again and I have other cats in the house that were never affected. I would keep the kitten 110%!

While your kitten is healing, you might want to give him l-lysine supplements, which are known to clear up FHV quickly. 250mg twice a day.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like to supplement my feral cats with L-lysine also. The 3 1/2 oz Viralys oral powder
container is about $20 and lasts for quite a while. Just sprinkle over food. Especially
helpful with kittens, in catteries, feral colonies. The stuff is wonderful!!

**I am not a vet, do not claim to be. All ideas I post are my opinion only. As
always, check with your Veterinarian before administering anything to your cat/kitten.
Nothing replaces an one on one exam. Thank you**