New house, 7 cats from 2 different families combined. Agressive cat beating up others.

KittlesMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom and I combined households and moved to a new house. I have 4 cats, she has 3. We've been in new house for a month now. My oldest cat Scrappy (who was dominant at my former house) was getting along with my mom's cats when we first moved in. However, now he seems to be getting settled in and is patrolling the house looking for my moms cats only to terrorize them. Litterbox attacks, food area attacks. Mom's cats have decided to escape to the garage but now Scrappy goes in there to beat them up. Outside in the yard he attacked one cat and I pulled him off (stupid of me I know) and got bitten now on antibiotics for 2 weeks! All cats are neutered.

What I have done is: 4 litterboxes, 3 water fountains, 4 cat trees, 3 different feeding areas, 8 Feliway diffusers. I use distraction if I catch Scrappy staring or door guarding when other cats around. I give Scrappy time out in bedroom alone 10 min if he starts fighting. I play with him to try and tire him. I use Feliway multicat spray if I see tensions rising or I just usher Scrappy out of the area or try distraction. I have had to isolate Scrappy in my bedroom for a few hours at a time so my moms cats can feel comfortable coming out of the garage. I make sure Scrappy gets lots of attention. I have switched "base camps" put my moms cats in my bedroom where Scrappy dominates and vice versa for scent swapping. IDK what else to do. All 6 other cats get along just fine it's been amazing with them just not Scrappy! What else can I do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!

I have had to isolate Scrappy in my bedroom for a few hours at a time so my moms cats can feel comfortable coming out of the garage
Bless your heart, you've done so much and you've been so smart about working to help the situation!
One thing is if you have the space for it, you may want to consider a couple more litter boxes, for everybody in general.

But mostly, would you be able to build a catio in the back yard for Scrappy?

Cat Enclosures – TheCatSite Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A lot of cats to integrate!! I would allow Scrappy time with his 'old' buddies' and time with the new ones - excluding the one he is beating up. Scent/room swapping is/can be helpful. But a re-introduction for Scrappy with the cat he doesn't like would help. Can you use anything in these TCS articles to devise a plan?
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Behavior Problems [What to do and what not to do] – TheCatSite Articles

Overall, you should consider yourself lucky that you have just one cat causing an issue! It could have been so much worse!