New feral cat - is it Pauli or Paula. / It's Paula and we have kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes,it appears to be swimmers syndrome-,when treated early it's possible to get those ligaments to tighten properly and prevent further complications

It would be very difficult to explain how to wrap( tape) him up to position his legs to help them to heal properly,kittens grow very very fast so action should be taken right away- there's also therapy you can do at home a few times a day and re-wrap....

I'm sure many might say there are videos you can watch to show you how- personally I'd suggest going to your Vet to get a proper diagnosis and have him show you what to do if he suggests therapy and taping- I believe you said they are 5wks of age now and my experience in treating this ( usually congenital defect ) has been significantly younger ( 2-3 wks)..... and successful

I suggest you see your Vet,sooner than later❤
Thanks! Yeah, strange that I didn't notice it earlier, now the other kittens seem to be better in 'proportion', so this one really stood out. I already tried some exercises very gently, to see how it would go and I noticed that I he was better able to stretch his legs. I also called the vet and sent them the video as well. A doctor will look at it to see if I can go straight to a physical therapist for advice or first to the doctor.

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many vets are clueless about how to treat this. Yes, treatment should already have started, but it’s not too late to help.

Here’s the Kitten Lady video about it:

Swimmer Syndrome in Young Kittens — Kitten Lady
Thanks! I found that as well and watched some of her videos. It is not as bad as it was in those videos though. The kitten can still run very fast and jump and climb, only has legs are 'frog like'. He is quite strong already, difficult to hold him and tape his legs. But I will buy some special tape and give it a go!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Yeah, strange that I didn't notice it earlier, now the other kittens seem to be better in 'proportion', so this one really stood out. I already tried some exercises very gently, to see how it would go and I noticed that I he was better able to stretch his legs. I also called the vet and sent them the video as well. A doctor will look at it to see if I can go straight to a physical therapist for advice or first to the doctor.
Thanks! I found that as well and watched some of her videos. It is not as bad as it was in those videos though. The kitten can still run very fast and jump and climb, only has legs are 'frog like'. He is quite strong already, difficult to hold him and tape his legs. But I will buy some special tape and give it a go!
Right,but when hobbling it's really important to square them off properly so that the ligaments tighten and the legs are positioned correctly ahd that it is not painful..... I'd not suggest to anyone to give it a go from watching a video as I mentioned earlier but that's my opinion-I'd recommend seeing your Vet,have them show you proper alignment because you'll be doing this at home several times a day and physiotherapy as well.....Actually kittens are not difficult to hobble but I have seen inexperienced folks end result not a good outcome....

I wish you the best

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right,but when hobbling it's really important to square them off properly so that the ligaments tighten and the legs are positioned correctly ahd that it is not painful..... I'd not suggest to anyone to give it a go from watching a video as I mentioned earlier but that's my opinion-I'd recommend seeing your Vet,have them show you proper alignment because you'll be doing this at home several times a day and physiotherapy as well.....Actually kittens are not difficult to hobble but I have seen inexperienced folks end result not a good outcome....

I wish you the best
Thank you! I have been reading quite bit by now, and quite a few different opinions on the topic. So far everyone recommends the exercises, so I am already doing these, but with the tape I wait for the vet. It is weekend here now, so I can only go on Monday unfortunately.

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been doing exercises today with him and he cannot stretch his hind legs like the other cats, like a tendon is missing, and his hind legs are a bit short. I also noticed some kind of extra toe(?), a dangly thing next to his feet, quite long and other kittens don't have it. This is only on one hind leg. So maybe some kind of deformity? I will have the vet have a look on Monday.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be sure to Iet us know! I reared one kitten with swimmer's syndrome, WAY back in the day when euthanasia was recommended. I spent hours with him, gentIy moving his Iegs into the proper position, and excercising/stretching them, again, gentIy. He did very weII as an aduIt, aIthough he couIdn't jump for squat. He DID cIimb everthing in sight, though!

At that point, nobody had ever thought of hobbIing to treat. They just...put them down. He was much worse than your boy, so your boy has a good chance of a very good quaIity of Iife.

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Be sure to Iet us know!
I went to the vet this morning. She told me she had never seen anything like this in her 20 year career. There appears to be extra bones in the hind legs and extra bones in the feet. She compared it with a kitten having an extra leg. They need to make an x-ray to figure out exactly what's going and what can be done, but she said he is still too young for an x-ray. Because it is not exactly swimmers syndrome, there is no need to tape the leg, though she said it is good to keep doing exercises. In two weeks I have an appointment with all the kittens for the vaccination and check-up, then we will see how it goes. The vet couldn't say how this will develop, how much of a problem it will be later on.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the vet this morning. She told me she had never seen anything like this in her 20 year career. There appears to be extra bones in the hind legs and extra bones in the feet. She compared it with a kitten having an extra leg. They need to make an x-ray to figure out exactly what's going and what can be done, but she said he is still too young for an x-ray. Because it is not exactly swimmers syndrome, there is no need to tape the leg, though she said it is good to keep doing exercises. In two weeks I have an appointment with all the kittens for the vaccination and check-up, then we will see how it goes. The vet couldn't say how this will develop, how much of a problem it will be later on.
Awwwww... poor baby. He will now have a hard time getting a home.. all because people don't want to deal with kitties that are different and medical bills. On one hand that is sad but on the other it just means whoever does adopt him will be great.

I know someone in your area who would be a perfect pet parent to him. You lol.. all jokes aside. I hope he is OK and doesn't have any serious medical issues. That is sad he has to go through all of what he has to go through.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Polymelia- not common in cats -I remember a kitten from England a few years back ( if memory serves me thst had aj
Conjoined twin in its Mamas womb- when she got older an it was fully formed they removed the extra limb

It probably can be found on tye internet- I don't know where you'd look

For some reason I remember the kitten had a boy/,girl kind of name.... like Paul/,Pauli .... wish I could remember

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He will now have a hard time getting a home
That is what I think as well, he will always be a bit special with the way he walks and he might have troubles later on. I don't think there are many people who would choose him. For now we will probably have to do some vet visits the coming months, so he will stay with me for a while. If he cannot stay with anyone else, he will just have to stay with me or with my family.

Polymelia
I am curious to see the x-ray of the little kitten to see how it all looks inside. I will post it here as well, maybe for people in the future who have something similar.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is what I think as well, he will always be a bit special with the way he walks and he might have troubles later on. I don't think there are many people who would choose him. For now we will probably have to do some vet visits the coming months, so he will stay with me for a while. If he cannot stay with anyone else, he will just have to stay with me or with my family.

I am curious to see the x-ray of the little kitten to see how it all looks inside. I will post it here as well, maybe for people in the future who have something similar.
If I lived near you I would gladly adopt him. I hate the fact that kittens can't get adopted as easily if they have any deformities or if they will have medical issues. Also cats... they are hard to rehome all because they aren't a "cute little kitten" it is sad. I think that is why I gravitate to kitties who are older or younger kitties who are different 😞

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
7 weeks! :cheerleader:

Running around, running on the stairs, climbing everything, jumping from the couch to the table, falling on the ground, chasing their tails, and... having fleas unfortunately. At the moment I use a comb to clean them and bought a special spray for young kittens, but haven't used it yet. I saw someone mention 'Revolution' but that is not for sale here. Another thing I bought is a fleatrap, not sure if it will help, but it is worth a try, as an extra measure.

Pauli is still nursing a lot, she sleeps now on my desk because on the lower table they are able to reach by now. They are really actively seeking out Pauli for food. I guess this is part of the weaning, if they get hungry enough they will start with the kitten food. Two of them haven't even tried the kitten food yet unfortunately and another two are just casually eating once in a while.

Last edited:

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just keep an eye out for signs of tapeworms. Above is a link to another thread that I posted in. It has information about fleas and tapeworms. Cats get them by ingesting an infected flea.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ha! I took in a pregnant stray and her kittens nursed her endlessly, even once they started on soft foods. They wanted mommy milk AND soft kitten food. At a point, I believe they nursed for comfort and not food. Finally, after about 6 months, because I kept the whole family, they finally stopped nursing after mom was spayed and they were spayed and neutered. It all works out.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ha! I took in a pregnant stray and her kittens nursed her endlessly, even once they started on soft foods. They wanted mommy milk AND soft kitten food. At a point, I believe they nursed for comfort and not food. Finally, after about 6 months, because I kept the whole family, they finally stopped nursing after mom was spayed and they were spayed and neutered. It all works out.
Had the same with our two that we kept,they nursed for months on end and she just let them! They were well into eating solid food and I did think it was just a comfort thing and one day she would shove them off. I started to almost give up thinking she wouldn’t and then she suddenly just started getting up every time they tried to like “I’m done with this now” :lol:

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kittens are now able to jump over the barrier I placed in the door opening. They are almost 8 weeks and they seems to be managing the stairs/climbing etc quite well. Is it normal that the kittens from 8 weeks have the whole house to explore on their own (so also at night) or should I try to construct an even taller barrier? 😅

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens are now able to jump over the barrier I placed in the door opening. They are almost 8 weeks and they seems to be managing the stairs/climbing etc quite well. Is it normal that the kittens from 8 weeks have the whole house to explore on their own (so also at night) or should I try to construct an even taller barrier? 😅
As Long as they are safe and the large area doesn't stress them out, I would allow them to explore.. just make sure any cleaning supplies or plants and things that can be toxic to cats are put up out of reach. So yea if it is kitty proof sure I'd let them have the run of the house.