New cat vs. old cat

abby.gail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My partner and I have recently moved in together, both already having cats of our own. We are trying to integrate them with little luck, going on 2+ months now.

My cat: Charlie, male, roughly 8-9 yrs old, indoor only cat. He has been with me for a little over 6 years and has always been the only cat. Very playful and curious, always wanting to be involved in whatever you are doing.

Resident cat: Kingston, male, 4-5 years old, indoor/outdoor cat. He has been through a few other housemate cats while living with my partner. Had a second cat in the house until they had to be put down recently. Kingston was the dominate one, but after he became the only cat again he had a huge attitude change. Happy, loving, wanting pets and attention again.

Now I have moved into my partner's home, bringing Charlie with me. We started the integration best as we could. Charlie has his own room with everything he needs, Kingston has the rest of the house. We have tried to slowly bring them together spending little bits of time but it's just not working. Kingston is still very scared, constantly hissing and moaning, jumpy, and refuses to walk past the door of Charlie's room or come out when he's around. When we bring them together Kingston will hide and cower for HOURS while Charlie is out and even after he goes away. When it was warm we would allow Kingston to be outside and let Charlie roam the house but now it's too cold for that and Charlie is dying to be out of his room at all times. Charlie very rarely hisses, but is antagonistic toward Kingston. He will try to chase him and beeline directly for Kingston any time he sees him. We even gave Kingston a floor-to-ceiling cat tree to give him space and Charlie still tries to get to him while he's up there, despite having the rest of the house to play in. There have been a few fights, but all were broken up quickly with no injuries, thankfully. It's my opinion that Charlie is trying to play but Kingston wants no part in it. Charlie seems unfazed by the interactions, while Kingston is left scared. Charlie just wants out of his room.

We are out of ideas and both of our cats are suffering, to some extent. Please help!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't what process you are using for introductions, but maybe you can glean some tips/ideas from these TCS articles. All cats are different, but for some, 2 months is not a lot of time, and it might be that you need to take a few steps back in the process to "reset" the situation.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

As you will note in the above articles, site swapping is part of the process - which means Charlie would have time outside his room while Kingston is the one who is placed behind closed doors, rather than always setting it up so that they have to be around each other in order for Charlie to have time outside his room.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Site swapping is critical, in my opinion. It does two things. It allows Charlie to begin to get comfortable and confident in the rest of the house without having to deal with Kingston (who should be in Chariie's room!), and it mingles the scent of both cats all over the home. Scent is one of the biggest deals when it comes to territory. Allowing the cats to get accustomed to their mixed scents before their physical presence gives you a leg up on things.

And read those articles! They are excellent.