New Cat - Very Timid

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
At night is she in your room? Sometimes when humans are sleeping they check us out. It was 2 months before Waffles got in my lap and then it was only for 2 seconds. I adopted him at 2 years of age. This sounds great what she is doing! Progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At night is she in your room?
She comes in and out. Last night she was out for the longest time, coming near me in the living room and lying on her cat tree in the bedroom after I turned out the lights. She's very curious, and I'm not at all concerned about her eventually adjusting.

Still issues with eating/drinking. I have her hard food out for her and can't really tell if she's eating any or not. I have water in several places and, again, not sure if she is drinking. All that said, there was some stool and urine in the litter box this am, so I'm thinking she might be taking a bit of each.

It really does worry me, though. I don't want to have to catch her and take her to the vet when I know it's stress. That will just stress her out more...

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure she is eating and drinking at least a little bit. Most cats will not starve themselves unless too terrified to eat and that just doesn’t sound like the case. So, I would try to relax as she is doing wonderfully.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try to relax as she is doing wonderfully.
Thanks for this!

She was out this am, but has been in the closet the rest of the day. I put her food back there tonight, and she ate some! I also gave her a catnip toy that I made and she LOVES it. Now my only concern is her eye - it's tearing. Only thing, though, is I noticed that when I met her a couple of weeks ago, so it must be an issue with her.

Still, feeling better that she ate some.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I added a second cat last night - she is staying in the laundry room - and she is comfortable with me, but has been hissing and growling at my other cat when she reaches for her under the door. Normal, I know. I honestly expected it to be the other way around, though. LOL Since I got the second cat (her name is Lottie), Macie has been like a puppy dog with me - following me everywhere, letting me pet her when I walk past - she's like a whole 'nother cat.

Lottie hasn't used the litterbox yet - although she did tip it over and all the litter went under the washer, so it's possible she peed - but she is eating some, and I gave her some wet food because she isn't drinking. I want to switch them both to wet, but that will be a while.

Attachments

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lottie finally used the litterbox. Next hurdle is Macie. I swear, I never heard a domestic cat growl before. LOL

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! Glsd to hear Lottie used the litter box. (Lov the name, btw!) Also, beautiful kitties! Is your tortie Lottie? She looks so much like my Willow! Macie is.so cute, too!
Some of these articles might be helpful!
Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles
best of luck, and please do keep us updated!

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL. Totally forgot to send this. I've been looking through articles and I think I just need some reassurance (again).

Lottie is in the laundry room - she has her food, water, litterbox, scratching pad, several hiding places, and a little bed, all of which she is using. When I go in and sit on the floor, she comes up to me, crawls up in my lap, and seems very content. She also often rolls over on her back on the floor and will lie there for 30min getting her belly rubbed. Lots of air biscuits, which seem to be out of contentment rather than anxiety.

She seems very curious about the rest of the place, but also very tense if I pick her up and let her look. She hisses when the other cat comes near the door, although that seems to have diminished some.

I've only had her since Monday night, and I think she's doing great. I just have one little worry - and it's probably more me than it is her. She seems *so* closed off. I go in every hour or so and sit with her, playing and just talking to her, which she really seems to like. I worry, though, that keeping her closed up like that isn't good.

Probably just projecting my own worries on her, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks, BellaGooch BellaGooch - yes, Lottie is the tortie. I appreciate the links - will take a look at them in the morning!

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that she's doing well! She sounds very well acclimated.
I complety get feeling bad about keeping her closed off. I definitely felt that same way with my kitten, too. its probably a quite nor am feeling.

Im so sorry... I'm sure you've mentioned this, but I'm quite groggy this morning... How old is Lottie? The younger they are, the quicker they will acclimate. Seeing as you've only had her a few days, I personally would reccomend giving it couple more days before letting her have run of house. That being said, I am by no means an expert, nor am I at your house with Lottie to fully understand how she is acclimating, so if you think she us ready to be "released," so to speak, I say do what you think is best.
You also could let her out for a few-5, 10- minutes at a time. Again, not an expert, this is just my suggestion.
Again, I am soo sorry if you said this already, but is Macie out and about around the house, or is she in an isolated room as well? That plays HUGE factor in letting her roam around.

Please do not feel anxious about keeping Lottle cooped up like that. I've gone through that with multiple cats and even though you feel guilty now, it will definitely be worth it. ❤

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Lottie is 3, Macie is around 5. Macie is out and about the house, although tends to stay in until 6 or 7. I really want to be able to leave the door to the laundry room open, so Lottie can go in and out as she's comfortable, but suspect I will have to wait a few more days. That said, I've brought her out a couple of times (holding her securely in my arms) and kind of walked her around. She's so curious; I think it will just take her a little more time. I know it hasn't been long at all.

I appreciate the reassurance. I'm trying not to be too crazy. LOL

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not being too crazy at all! I'm glad you're bringing up all of your worries instead of surpressing them!
You could let Lottie wander out in the house during the day while Macie is outside so that Lottie can smell Macie when Macie is outside and Macie can smell Lottie when Lottie is back in her room.
It sounds like you're doing everything right. Great job :)

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Ravensong Ravensong ! How’s everything going? Have you made any progress with Lottie and Macie?
Progress, yes! It's felt really slow-going, but I've only had Lottie since the 28th, so it's pretty remarkable how well she and Macie are doing. Just last night Lottie started spending more time out of her room and this morning, both were up and about - Macie is starting to come out from her hiding place in the am, too. They are checking each other out today, chasing each other and trying to fight, just a little.

I am so grateful that they are both responsive to me - one "girls!" and they back off. LOL

Lottie has a sneeze, which I'm hoping passes once she is out from behind the dryer all day. Still, I'm planning for an eventual vet visit.