New Cat - Very Timid

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I lost both of my cats this year and just adopted a new one - she is a beautiful 5yo black, green-eyed mix (DSH and Manx). Her foster said she was very skittish and timid at first, but after a while (he said it took a couple of weeks), she adjusts and always wants to be near. She *is* very sweet.

I brought her home around noon today and she has been in the closet since. I have her in a separate room, with water, her food, and a litter box. I sat in there off and on, talking to her and just *being* there, doing some work. As far as I can tell, she hasn't eaten or had anything to drink, and she hasn't used the litter box. I know she's stressed, and I know it will take time, but I wanted to hear from folks about length of time to wait before worrying about food and water intake. Every cat I've ever had has never taken long to settle, so I'm just not sure now.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! So sorry to hear about the loss of your cats. Thank you for helping this kitty out! These articles might help you:
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats – TheCatSite Articles10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
it is not unusual for a new cat to hide. It's actually quite common, especially the older they get.
please keep us updated and feel free to post pictures... We would love to see them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, BellaGooch BellaGooch . I wasn't concerned about the hiding; I was more worried about the lack of food and water intake. I'll take a gander at the articles you provided! Again, thanks!

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, BellaGooch BellaGooch . I wasn't concerned about the hiding; I was more worried about the lack of food and water intake. I'll take a gander at the articles you provided! Again, thanks!
No problem! This thread and this article might help:
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles
I'm not an expert, but I'm fairly certain that her being a shy cat who is not eating or drinking right away is pretty common. When I had two ferals they didn't eat or drink at first either. She might after you go to bed and let her be for a few hours.
I'm sure some more people will come along and give you more advice :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give her more time to herself so that she calms down enough to come out and eat and use her litterbox. And I would make sure you provide her with whatever kind of food she had at the shelter as well as some delicious cat treats like temptations or Nine Lives and some catnip too if you have it. I expect that when it gets dark she will sneak out to explore her room a bit and use the litterbox.

Some cats get over the hiding in a day or two. My current girl hid in her safe room for weeks until I finally decided I would open the door and let her explore the rest of the house. She was out doing that at night within 24 hours. She still hid during the day but as she got more comfortable she started popping out for longer and longer periods of time.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
When I've brought adult cats home that I've adopted they took sometimes until the next day to eat and drink. I agree with the above on giving her time alone to take everything in and feel safer. She may eat at night when things are quiet.

So I'd not be surprised if she only eats a little the first couple or few days coming up. I usually put out some different foods/treats for a choice of what they might eat.
Then with not eating as much will come not much in the litter box.

My cat Waffles hid for weeks, and would eat at night when I was asleep and quiet.
She sounds like a love! It's so great you have her and she has you :redheartpump: . I'm so sorry you lost two this year also.
My cat Ziggy is a Manx! If you feel like putting a picture up would love to see one.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would give her more time to herself so that she calms down enough to come out and eat and use her litterbox. And I would make sure you provide her with whatever kind of food she had at the shelter as well as some delicious cat treats like temptations or Nine Lives and some catnip too if you have it. I expect that when it gets dark she will sneak out to explore her room a bit and use the litterbox.

Some cats get over the hiding in a day or two. My current girl hid in her safe room for weeks until I finally decided I would open the door and let her explore the rest of the house. She was out doing that at night within 24 hours. She still hid during the day but as she got more comfortable she started popping out for longer and longer periods of time.
I left the door to the office ajar and she came out last night and did a lot of exploring. I found her behind the couch, just behind where I was sitting, which I think is a good sign! I'm not sure if she is eating; I don't think so. She did use the litter box a bit overnight, and I'm offering her the food she was eating and some wet food, but it doesn't look like she is touching it.

She did jump on the bed last night, briefly. - I do think she will do ok, but I'm just concerned about her not eating/drinking. Gonna put out something yummy tonight for her. :-)

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to hear that.
Do you have a camera thar you could set up? Also, sorry if you already mentioned this, but is she living in the bedroom that you're sleeping in, or in a spare room?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s wonderful that she is out exploring. Have you tried setting out treats? These aren’t the best diet long term but fine for a few days to get some calories in her. You can also try boiled chicken or pure chicken baby food.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s wonderful that she is out exploring. Have you tried setting out treats? These aren’t the best diet long term but fine for a few days to get some calories in her. You can also try boiled chicken or pure chicken baby food.
Yeah, I'm encouraged that she is out and looking around. I've set out all sorts of things - I'm hoping she will settle in a bit more today and eat *something*.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good to hear that.
Do you have a camera thar you could set up? Also, sorry if you already mentioned this, but is she living in the bedroom that you're sleeping in, or in a spare room?
No camera. She was in the office all day yesterday and my door didn't shut all the way last night, so she had the run of the condo. She's finding places to hide - behind the couch, right now behind the dryer - and I think just needs time...

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feeling some better - I sat down in the laundry room and talked to her for a bit, and she moved almost right after to back in the closet. Then, when I was on the phone, she came out to the living room for a good 10 min. :-) :-) :-)

Thanks to everyone again - I feel so much better, being able to talk here.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, that's sooo good to hear! For her being 5, I'd say she's adjusting very well!!! Please keep us updated and feel free to post pictures :)

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww, that's sooo good to hear! For her being 5, I'd say she's adjusting very well!!! Please keep us updated and feel free to post pictures :)
Thank you! I am especially excited because the foster said she stayed behind his refrigerator for a week!

I'm attaching the first two photos I took of her tonight. They really don't do her justice...she is gorgeous! Macie day 2 12212020.jpg Macie day 2 12212020_2.jpg

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beauty! I love black cats. She's absolutely lovely!
One thing you can do is just be in the same room as her, quietly scrolling on your phone or reading a book quietly- or aloud- so that she gets used to you and possibly your voice. Although I know she isn't feral, a lot of people do that with their ferals to get them used to their new owners.
My cat Pants (a semi-feral) took around two months to let us go within like 6 feet of him, and about a month more to let us pet him.
A cat who hung around my old house took months to warm up to me, but he eventually let me hold him and pet him freely.
Cats can take a while to grow accustomed to you, but with patience, kindness, and persistence, I'm sure she'll soon be cuddling and purring with you :)

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, BellaGooch BellaGooch , I've been doing all of that. Since she started coming in the living room (after I spent some time on the floor in the laundry room talking to her), she lets me get very near. I'm taking it slowly and allowing her to decide when being close is ok. :-)