New Cat Hiding

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I lost my last cat to CRF on 30 June, but I'd already scheduled foot surgery, so I knew I would not be able to care for another cat for a while. This is the longest I've been without a cat for 30 years! But I'm now about 85% recovered, and I know I can care for a cat.

Today I went to my vet's office (she boards a small number of cats for a local rescue group) to see a cat she'd told me about. Molly had been thrown from a car about a year ago (when she was about 3), and has been living in a big cage ever since. They let the cats out to roam, but Molly doesn't like other cats, and even with her cage door open, she stayed inside.

My vet really wanted me to take her because she'd been confined for too long. And although she's reclusive and would not interact with me, she needed a home--and I have a home for a cat, so I figured it was a good match.

My vet told me to keep her confined to one room; otherwise she might hide, and I would not know where she was. I did that, but she slowly began exploring the room, and knowing she would not leave her caveat the vets, decided to leave the door open and let her do what she wanted. There's no way she could injure herself in my house.

But now I have no idea where she is. She knows where the litter box is, and there's food and a water fountain. I figure that she will eventually eat/drink--even if she waits until I'm asleep.

My first cat would hide if anyone else came into the house, so I'm used to a cat hiding. But does anyone know how long this can last? By the way, I have five Feliway plug ins in various rooms, so I'm hoping things are less stressful for her.

Since her former people threw her away, I can certainly understand her discomfort with a new human.

Any suggestions?

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long have you had her? Is she eating?

I would try to figure out where generally she was hiding and then hang out in that room with a book and some treats. Read your book, talk to yourself and the cat and leave some treats when you go. Eventually she should come out to see what's going on - say hi and then read your book and keep talking, but basically ignore her. As her confidence rises, talk to her and look at her more, bring in a wand toy and tempt her directly with treats.

If you have no idea where she is, leave out piles of treats to get an idea of where she is (maybe put out an extra litter box too). If that fails, close all your doors and go room by room looking IN your furniture. My shy guy hid in a desk drawer for two days and would regularly hole up under a freezer, others have reported their cats making holes in the bottom of beds and couches to let themselves in.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She might only hide for a day or two - or it could be weeks. Put a litterbox in each of your main rooms or connecting hallways as well as several food and water dishes. In all likelihood she will sneak out while you are sleeping to eat and use the litterbox. Check all the boxes and food in the morning and you will know.

Eventually she will start letting herself be seen as she moves from one place to another. You will want to ignore her until she starts coming near you. If you have a cat tree place it in your living space so she can spy on you from a distance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long have you had her? Is she eating?

I would try to figure out where generally she was hiding and then hang out in that room with a book and some treats. Read your book, talk to yourself and the cat and leave some treats when you go. Eventually she should come out to see what's going on - say hi and then read your book and keep talking, but basically ignore her. As her confidence rises, talk to her and look at her more, bring in a wand toy and tempt her directly with treats.

If you have no idea where she is, leave out piles of treats to get an idea of where she is (maybe put out an extra litter box too). If that fails, close all your doors and go room by room looking IN your furniture. My shy guy hid in a desk drawer for two days and would regularly hole up under a freezer, others have reported their cats making holes in the bottom of beds and couches to let themselves in.
I just brought her home today, so she's been hiding only about 4 hours. I thought I'd give her until tomorrow morning and see how she's doing. If she's drinking/eating/using the box, I'll just leave her to come in her own time.
Although I might try to find where she is tonight--which may be difficult; I don't close doors, and there are many places for her to hide.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She might only hide for a day or two - or it could be weeks. Put a litterbox in each of your main rooms or connecting hallways as well as several food and water dishes. In all likelihood she will sneak out while you are sleeping to eat and use the litterbox. Check all the boxes and food in the morning and you will know.

Eventually she will start letting herself be seen as she moves from one place to another. You will want to ignore her until she starts coming near you. If you have a cat tree place it in your living space so she can spy on you from a distance.
The room where she was confined is where the litter box is, so she spent some time close to it and will know where it is. My home is all one level and easy to navigate. I use a water fountain, but since she would be unfamiliar with it, I also put out a bowl of water, along with both food and treats.

There are several cat trees, but also many ways she can 'check' on me from a distance if she wishes. I'm just doing my normal, routine things because I know it's best to let her approach me when she's ready.

My plan was to check in the morning to see if there was any 'activity.'

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought it was a couple of days. As long as she is eating, give her a couple of nights to explore and get her bearings. She'll probably start showing up on her own soon.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought it was a couple of days. As long as she is eating, give her a couple of nights to explore and get her bearings. She'll probably start showing up on her own soon.
I hope so! This morning, I haven't seen any sign that she touched the food/water bowls I have (in 2 places) for her. I wish I knew where she was! I have to go out for an hour this morning, so I plan to put some treats around in various places in the house to see if they tempt her. I'll also change the food and water before I leave.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update:
Today I heard her in the litter box, and I was able to see that she's hiding under the bed in my guest room. Of course, that was the only room in my house where I didn't have a Feliway plug-in, but I've put one in there now. I feel better knowing where she is.

My vet suggested weighing the food bowls on my kitchen food scale. This way I will know if she's eating even a tiny bit.

I've also put saucers with treats around to try to entice her to eat something.

I'm sad that she's afraid. I so wish I could do something more for her, but I know I need to let her adjust at her own pace.

hmckinney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
^ these are all good suggestions. for scared kitties it just takes some time. sitting with her in the room will help. i've found it's also good if you're not on your feet standing up while in the room with them - sitting or even lying down on the bed makes cats feel less intimidated, in my experience. i also once got a bunch of cardboard boxes, cut holes in them, and placed them in various places around a feral kitty's hiding spot, and she would creep between the boxes (because she felt safe in them) and got more accustomed to the entire area that way. having lots of hiding places for a scared kitty is good.

other than checking on her and sitting with her, just go about your business and she'll learn soon enough that you won't cause her any harm. it just takes time and patience! i hope everything goes well with her. :)

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your suggestions! I am old and arthritic and can't get down on the floor, but I plan to sit in a chair in the room with her to see if that helps. I also have a (purchased) felt box with a hole for a cat. It's in another room, but I'll bring it to her hiding spot also.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update--She arrived on Wednesday; on Thursday, she had taken some water and used the litter box. Friday night, she ate almost an entire 3 oz. can of Fancy Feast classic beef. She is clearly a highly intelligent cat because I'd tried to entice her to eat with saucers of treats, along with a bowl of the (crappy) dry food she'd had at the vet/shelter--but she ignored all that and went for the best nutrient on the menu!

Today (Saturday), she's in the living room, behind my couch. But my couch is just a wooden frame with pillows, so she is
clearly visible, although I'm sure she feels secure. I've been going in and out and talking to her, so I think we're making progress on getting acquainted.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Drop some treats in a spot where she has to come close to you but has some cover.
She might be in your lap by Monday.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's indifferent to treats these days, but she's happily devouring Fancy Feast (classic meat), so I'm relieved that she's eating.

I'm hoping that once she realizes that I'm the one opening those cans, she'll tolerate me more:-)

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today she's here a week and still hiding. She is 'out' more often but quickly hides if she sees me. She's eating well, using the litter box, and actually playing with toys (when I'm asleep; I see the evidence in the morning).

She seems to 'want' to come out but is still too fearful. Since she arrived at the shelter after being thrown from a car, it's likely she doesn't trust any humans. So I'm prepared to be very patient.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Latest development:

Since this cat seemed to be OK (eating well, etc.) except for avoiding me totally, my vet suggested that I try to see her leave her 'safe' room [which she does to eat and use the litter box] and close the door, as well as the doors to any other rooms with good hiding places. Last evening, she went down the hall, so I quickly shut the door to 'her' bedroom, my bedroom, and the TV room that has a couch. I saw her go back to her safe room, and, of course, she couldn't get back in.

She now has access to her food (kitchen) and litter box (my computer room) as well as the large living room. There's a couch there, but it is just a wood frame with pillows and doesn't provide much security for hiding, at least not as much as the bed she's been hiding under.

But this morning, her food dishes were untouched! And now I'm afraid this was not a good move, and we're back to square one with her not eating.

I plan to try to spend time in whatever room she's in today, talking quietly to her and offering treats (as I've been doing).

Any other suggestions?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t agree with your vet. When you have an anxious cat, cutting off their safe space just makes them feel more anxious. I would leave her safe room open and continue to be patient with her. When she feels ready she will come to you.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tend to agree with you, and that's why I was reluctant to take the vet's advice. I think my vet's concern was that if we needed to get to the cat for any reason, it would be difficult were she under a bed.

What's odd is that she does not appear particularly 'anxious' (after 10 days here) so much as determined to avoid human contact. She ate well this morning, so I'm going to keep her room door closed for today to see how she fares. She's hiding behind a table that has a cover to the floor.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you put a gate at the doorway to her safe room so she can see and hear what’s happening beyond the room but it’s her decision whether or not to come out? Perhaps you could toss treats over the gate?

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She was doing that already with the door open. She came out to eat and use the litter box, and when I'd see her 'out' in her safe room, she seemed relaxed. But when I walked in her direction (my bedroom is next door), she would immediately hide under the bed. When I sat in a chair in the doorway and talked quietly to her, she remained hidden.

Human contact seems to be what she fears. I am alone here, so there's only one person for her to adjust to, and even
though she sees me dispensing the treats, she doesn't want to be anywhere near me.

As I mentioned, she ate well this morning and has found a place to hide in the living room, so she may be adjusting to life outside her safe room. Even when she was in her safe room, the door was always open, and in the morning, I often saw evidence that she was exploring the rest of the house--and playing with toys while I was safely asleep.

My vet is away until Tuesday, and I need to ask her whether this girl interacted with the caregivers during the year she
was in the shelter (it's located in the vet's home/office). My guess is that she was abused and is thus wary of all humans.

I'm just wondering whether that can be changed over time--i.e., that she will realize I am no threat to her.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've just come across this thread. First off, condolences on the loss of your cat back in June. RIP sweet kitty. :angel:

And congrats on the adoption of Molly. It sounds like she will be a challenge, but with your 30 years of cat experience, your vet knew you were the person for the job. :catrub:

I don't have any experience with shy/fearful cats, as my adopted girl, Ruby, was out of her carrier and acting like she'd always lived here 2 seconds after I brought her home.

It does sound like Molly is starting to come around a bit more.

Does she eat in front of you? If so, maybe try putting her dish closer and closer to you when you put it down. And maybe let the dish go empty, so she will know for sure you provide the food.

Do you have any small cardboard boxes. Most cats cannot resist squeezing into a box, so that might be a way to get her closer to you. Maybe even put a towel or sweater of yours in the box to get her used to your scent.

Do you have any windows that get sunlight. Cats are drawn to sun, so if you could set up a cat condo, or just a chair/table in the sun, she might check it out.

Other than that, I don't have any other suggestions, and I don't even know if those are good ideas, but thought I'd throw them out there.

One other thing, even though she's not feral, maybe check out some of the posts on the Caring for Strays and Ferals as the hiding and fear of people is common with ferals.

Good luck with Molly. Keep us posted. And please post a pic of her, once she comes out of hiding long enough. :camera: