New Cat, Growling & Hissing

Twinklesized

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A family with young children wanted this "mean" cat out of their home as it was growling, hissing, clawing and spitting at them from behind their couch. When I arrived at their home, he had a car load of things (food, litter, treats, toys, furniture etc) and I peeked behind the couch and he looked scared but sweet to me. I laid on the ground and inched my fist towards this boy and he hissed a bit but wasn't wildly mean like they said. I wrangled him into a carrier where he turned from an aggressive growling ball of hiss into a little kitten mewing pretty kitty.

His previous owner, his only owner, was the family's grandmother, who passed away unexpectedly. I think he's scared and traumatized and undersocialized.

I've had him three days now. He hisses and growls at me even from another room when I try to chit chat with him. I am following instructions from this site and spending time on the floor of the bathroom, his den, and leaving him treats etc. He's finally started to eat, very little, and drink. He uses the litter box and wanders at night. He mews like a baby at night but if I gently coo at him when he's like that, he hisses. I've caught him purring here and there at night, just for moments. Why the mewing and purring?

Is there anything I can do for this five year old cat? I don't even really know what he looks like...he hides and I don't make eye contact with him. He's a shorthanded tuxedo looking guy but I don't even know the color of his eyes or the pattern of his tux. Obviously we are not close to being on petting terms although I'm dying to cuddle him.

How long will he be this way before he caves? Is there anything else I can do to help him? I'm sure he's mourning his owner on top of all this adjusting. :/

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will be as long as it will be. My main observation is that you might be trying to hard at present. Cat may need to settle in a bit before you can make progress. For example, a bathroom is a fine initial home base, but lying down in a presumably small bathroom (applaud the effort, but eww) with a cat this scared might actually be counterproductive (too noisy getting in position too close) unless your prepared to lay there for quite a long while after the initial settling in. I just don't think its feasible.

Recommended strategy: I'd let him be entirely for a day or two, then start with sitting outside the bathroom reading or using your phone. (With an adult cat this scared, I would probably not try to do the quiet time sitting on the throne -- possibly too close too fast.) So sit outside the bathroom -- you will need to spend some meaningful amount of quiet time there, so lets skip the lying down and get comfortable. You can toss treats into the bathroom once he gets used to you being outside the bathroom, and maybe gradually get the treats closer to you over a day or two. At some point (its not an exact science) maybe after some progress with the treats, try using a lure toy in the bathroom doorway. Don't crowd his space, the goal is to lure him out. I hope you have a second bathroom because using the one in the home base would be counterproductive. Be patient and don't grab at him at any point, even after progress is made.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Thanks for stepping in and adopting this poor unwanted kitty. :catlove:

Three days isn't too long, from a cat's point of view. So I'd say just keep doing what you've been doing.

TCS does have some articles that might have some helpful tips for you. Good luck. Please post a pic of him once he's out and about. :camera:

Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

Do Cats Mourn?
Separation Anxiety In Cats

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With Demi, I petted him with a long-handled duster. You could also use a backscratcher. It took me 3 days to be able to pet him with my hands. I also talked to my cats a lot and they began to recognize words, got them on a schedule with "dinner". I call every meal "dinner" and they know the word now. They learned their names really quickly too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinklesized

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn't seem to eat his dry cat food. Only licks the gravy from the wet food and eats the treats. How do I get him to eat substantial amounts of food?

When I bring him his food, he no longer growls and swats at me but he does give me a low warning hiss. (Progress!)

He's also taken to playing and sitting in his litter box this evening. He spent a good half hour in there and keeps visiting it like a look out point. I did get a better view of him. He's mostly black with white socks on all four paws and a white chest. :)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mentioned that you acquired a car load of the cats stuff including food, so I assume you are trying to feed the kind of foods the cat has eaten in the past. So that issue drops out, and this is likely 100% stress. Likely the kitty will eat better at night when you are sleeping for a couple of days. If the kitty still isn't eating even at night in another day or so (remembering that you are going to back off a bit until he settles in a bit) than this may become a vet issue, but it won't come to that. A health issue is always possible, especially if your cat hasn't had proper vet care for some time, so we'll watch things, but stress is the more likely answer.

Some cats will play in the box, and it would be especially normal for a stressed kitty staying in its new home base. You could perhaps (temporarily!) move a scratching post in there, and many kitties use their carrier as an initial safe/cozy place. Not saying that its necessarily the right call to go moving stuff in there while the cat is so stressed - judgement call.

Twinklesized

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the scared beast. He's now blocked off my closet in the bathroom. He caught me off guard as I didn't know he was in there blocking access to my bathroom things. He growled and clawed me and I snapped that pic real fast before he hissed at me and I left.

He's definitely down for exploring at night and even hopped on my bed but when I moved (I was half asleep) he hissed at me and ran away. He plays all night in his litter box. All night. And naps on top of my fridge.

I think this is a time game. I sure wish he'd stop growling, hissing and clawing at me.

He finally ate a full can of wet food. I think this is progress but he's still cranky.

Attachments

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have been given a lot of great advice already. I know it is hard when your baby is hissing, growling and clawing at you but that is just because your baby is stressed out and scared of the new environment. Three days is a very a short time in a cat's mind. I agree about starting with spending time outside the bathroom interacting first after giving the cat a day or two to have some space. If you have a 2nd bathroom then I would put everything you need to use daily in the other bathroom and just keep this one as your baby's safe space for now. I would interact from outside the bathroom until your baby stops hissing and growling at your presence there before trying to interact inside the bathroom. You can try sliding treats under the bathroom door to create a positive association. I would walk away briefly after putting the treats under the door though so he is not too scared to eat them. This is a process that is going to take time and patience. The key is not to force interaction but to let your baby decide when he is ready. It is also possible that this cat is still grieving if it has been a short amount of time since his long-time owner passed away. Unfortunately no one can really give you a set time frame as to how long it will take for him to feel comfortable enough in his environment to accept petting and cuddle time. It is a process which must be done in baby steps to earn his trust and allow him to adjust to his new home. Cats have their own time frame when it comes to building trust. It will happen but it has to happen on the cat's terms when they are ready.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is going to take some time, but it sounds like the initial stage is going reasonably well in the sense that progress is being made. As I'm sure you realize though, we are clearly still in the initial stage of getting the cat used to the house and you, so definitely don't push it. I might advance to sitting quietly outside the bathroom and reading/playing on phone for an hour or so, but I don't think the cat is ready for you to toss treats or try to lure with toys. Might take another day or two (or however long it takes) to get there.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for posting his pic. Hopefully before too long, you'll be posting pics of him lounging on your lap, or at least in the same room with you. :catlove:

Here's a couple more articles that might be helpful:
Cat Aggression Toward People

Handling Feral Cats (this one is directed towards scared ferals, but might have some tips that could work for you and your scared non-feral boy)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
one more chiming in :)
Can you obtain some calming products? feliway diffusers, that sort of thing? These are available in pet stores and online. Besides diffusers and collars, there are sprays, wipes and treats, depending on how broadly and intensely (?) you'd want to extend the benefit of calming products.

Some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway, but there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.

Vetri-Science's Composure is one to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has one, Pet Naturals also has one I believe. Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros.

There are a couple of current discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

Twinklesized

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in a studio (350sq ft) in a city but pimped out my place with lots of vertical kitty space. To answer most questions in here, I had originally set up my walk in closet for the growl kings safe space but on the second day he laid claim to my bathroom- the only places with doors in my apt). I refuse to manhandle him and toss him back in the closet. Too much bloodshed at risk. Lol

The closet he's in (in the pic) is in the bathroom which i made the mistake of leaving open as I grabbed another cup of coffee and he swiftly made himself home. He's been there all day.

At this point he has more freedom and privacy than me. Lol I think finding some calming products might help if things don't ease up consistently in the hissing and growling category by the weekend because it's stressing me out! I know he's stressed out!

Btw it's hard not to look at the dude when we share one room plus his bathroom. :p

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, poor guy! This is a lot of change for him to handle. Thank you so much for giving him a chance.

I share my home with a big group of former feral cats. Some take longer to come around than others, but they all get there in the end.

There's a great product called zylkene that you can buy online.

Zylkene | Vetoquinol

The small dog size tablets are the right dose for a cat. Just open the capsule and mix the powder with his wet food. You usually see a result within a few days.

Another thing that cats seem to like is classical harp music played at a low volume. Don't know why, but it seems to calm them down.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, on the plus side, a small studio, he is definitely going to get used to you quickly. Or eat you. Walk softly and carry a big...pack of treats.

Twinklesized

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Final update:
Pepperkitty is still very hidey. And completely nocturnal. While the noises I make do not scare him, the noises from neighbors sends him hiding. I wish I lived in a house. One stomp and his day is ruined!

He mews like a kitten at night and it sounds a bit sad or lost so I took a chance and returned his mews. We talk like this now but still no physical contact. Still no movement during the daylight. He's my midnight baby. I got him to hop on my bed for 30 seconds or so by gently patting my mattress. I did not even try for a pet. I hope he wants to join me again.

Since he enjoys fish and poultry and not the beef kibble and treats he came with, he's responded to me. Clearly! I tried a kitty hello today by slowly approaching with a fist at cat level with him and then offered my pointer finger for him to sniff. He sniffed! This is the closest physical contact we have had. I tried to pet him with my finger but he batted my hand, without claws!!!, so I backed off.

When he hisses or growls, I gently laugh at him and tell him he's a big bad scary kitty playfully and it defuses him instantly- mid noise, no less!

I think we will get there. Slowly and on his time. A just received a text while spending time on the floor with him, just sharing space but the noise scared him so I kitten meowed at him and he paused mid run to look back and return the mew before retreating to his safe space. He's a good cat like I thought.

I wish he'd let me pet him and play with him. I want to shower him with attention but this is about him and his needs. I'm learning his language and hope he will adopt me by my birthday at the end of summer. :)

Thank you all for your advice and input. I listened to everything you all offered. It is good. Thank you. :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You'll get there! One of my cats hid at the back of the closet for a whole month when I first brought him home. The only way I knew he was there was that the litter box would be used and the food and water disappear.

Some cats do take a really long time to learn they can trust you.The advantage is that once they learn, they love you for ever. You'll have a friend for life.

:heartshape:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for posting on Pepperkitty's progress. Baby steps, but that's ok. :catlove:

I do hope it's not really your "final update", and that you will post again in a few weeks/months and let us know how things are going.

Meanwhile continue what you're doing. And, thanks again for rescuing that "mean" cat.

Even though (hopefully) he wasn't physically abused at his prior home, here's one more article that might have some tips for interacting with him.
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover

:goodluck:

Twinklesized

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought I wouldn't have to update but pepper is just wild. I pretty much pretend he's not around. I don't know what got into him but he still growls and hisses and spits but instead of it being a defensive situation, he doing that song and dance at me while I'm minding my own business.

He just pissed himself fighting me when I wasn't even approaching him. Seriously.

I still haven't pet him. I signed up for a deceased grandmothers companion cat NOT whatever he is.

Please help.
I'm covered in wounds and bruises.