Calming Treats?

Pishara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking for someone with experiance to find out if they work and suggested brands. Cat with anxiety making himself bald. Diffusers and oils are not and option as I am allergic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pishara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure is there a strong smell? If there is it would be questionable.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! If you use the search option, take a look at a very recent thread discussion titled calming treats for a very picky cat-- I'm on my phone and don't know how to do an actual link for it...there are a number of calming products and ingredients that are talked about.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have not had any luck with calming chews or holistic supplements of any kind. Prescription meds are the only things that have calmed my cats. Gabapentin is good for travel, amitriptyline can help with general anxiety and OCD (like excessive grooming).

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually had a similar question recently: Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

To sum up my experience, the 'treat' style calming solutions that I've tried are the GNC brand calming formula, the NaturVet Quiet Moments, and VetriScience Composure. If your cat is picky, they probably won't eat them. But for my boy that did eat them the NaturVet seemed to have the most effect (which I'd attribute to the melatonin and tryptophan), but I did notice some calming in the other two (which both have 'Colostrum Calming Complex Biopeptide Blend'), and actually the GNC and VetriScience both have the exact same active ingredients, but in different amounts. They had less of a 'medicine' smell than the NaturVet though, which was definitely a positive.

What worked for me was Pet-EZE by 21st Century Essential Pet, which is a gel/paste that I could put on my finger next to some of his favorite hairball gel and my picky boy would lick it up. Mellows him out for a good many hours, but I'm only planning on using it for carrier travel.

Things that were mentioned that I didn't try include: Natura Petz Soothed and Serene All Systems Calming Capsules, M&C Vet IQ Serene-UM Calm Tablets, and Zylkene. These are all not in the 'treat' category, but the reply on the thread goes deeper into what each does.

I know you said you can't use diffusers for allergy reasons, but would Feliway trigger your allergies? Many people have had a ton of success with that product.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pishara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys for all the Advice! I took my Olive to the vet and she was leaning towards anxiety. She treated him for fleas just in case there was no relief so that was not the problem. She prescribed a short term steroid which only partially helped. Before that wore off I risked my allergies and bought a feliway. The feliway had no effect. My cousin has a cat that recently began attacking their other pets and she used CBD oil to treat him with amazing results. I decided to try the CBD oil as well and I also had amazing results. He is completely back to his happy playful cuddley self.