Neutering Our Adopted Stray

Clow1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys.
So about 11 days ago a young stray had been around where we live..He meowed and meowed... I posted him on fb no one claimed him... I started to feed him (from a distance) anyway now he will enter the kitchen and let's me pet him... last night it was so cold I tried to shut the door for him to spend the night in...He was climbing at the windows jumping at the door he was freaking it didn't go down well...so I let him out and put a hot water bottle in his hutch in the garden... anyhow he's booked in for neutering on Monday... and today after last night he's been so distrustful of me.. but he has again let me pet him eventually. Anyone any tips for his after care.. it's so cold he will need to be inside and I've a dog crate he can go in with litter tray food etc when will be safe to let him back out any tips are gladly received. I'm hoping eventually he will be happy to come in the house and curl up cosy.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clow1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone! Well he was neutered today. And the vet said I've to keep him in for a few days. I have a crate set up but he does actually seem quite happy in the house. I'm thinking the anastetic must still be in his system.. the other day though we tried to close the door and he was jumping at the windows and all sorts I let him back out. Last night though we put him in a carrier and covered it and kept him inside (due to him not being able to eat before the op) I expected him to cry all night and he didn't at all...so maybe he just knows he's safe in here now? He's been on a sofa for the first time and been VERY affectionate... is this just going to be easier than I thought he's only 10 weeks old the vet said.. or is it down to the anastetic....

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Clow1988 and welcome to the forum !

I'm hoping eventually he will be happy to come in the house and curl up cosy.
'Sounds to me that your wish has come true!

The anesthesia may allow a smooth transition for you both....take full advantage of it. Don't even think of allowing him back outside. At ten weeks, acclimatizing him to indoor life will not be difficult.

Perhaps rubysmama rubysmama can provide some more reading/suggestions for you.

My first one will be to make sure everyone in the house knows to be very careful when coming and going....and, to be extra careful when answering the door and to never leave the door open. A 'safe room' where he can be safely contained is important early on and should be used when he's home alone.

Now.......you owe us big time for all this........we only accept payment in pictures, though:lol:

Last edited:

Clow1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've tried to upload a photo but it doesn't seem to have worked. Yeah I'm like a bloody deranged woman lately. All's I think about is Kit as we call him telling the kids to leave him alone and not rush towards him etc etc.. but he's managed to get into my eldest bedroom and hidden under the bed which isn't great But I think there's nothing wrong really with him having some quiet space away for the time being. He was really affectionate initially when he got home but now he's in hiding which is ok.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Under the bed is usually the first safety go-to area for new cats. I wouldn't push it with him....allow him to come out in his own time.

Meantime, figure out the best room for him (it still might need some kitten-proofing done) where he will do the least 'mischief' and put his food, water and litter box in there (litter box away from the food). I'd have him in there with the door closed at first so he can safely 'explore' it for a while. After, the door can be left open, allowing him to explore the house.

Clow1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for those tips. We are quite happy with him hiding, not forcing him to move at all... his safe room will be the kitchen whilst we are out..it's the room he is most used to. Really surprised he hasn't cried to go out I guess that's just the anastetic though.. or maybe after being indoors for almost 24 hours has made him realise how cosy it is indoors. He's the sweetest little thing. I have never really had a cat before, how do I get him litter trained?

Clow1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also...He's already pretty used to the kitchen. He has explored in there for a few days now...he seemed quite happy exploring the rest of the house. X

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The cats I've had always sort of litter train themselves. I just provide a box and make sure they know where it is. Most cats want to dig and have an instinct to use a litter box with very little human effort. When we brought in our little feral I started her in a cage so it was fairly easy for her to find the litter box, then as we expanded her space and access I left the litter box in the same place so she could find it. With younger cats it is a good idea to have a litter box in every room. Just like human children, they can get caught up in play and have accidents if the bathroom is too far away. As they get older remove litter boxes they aren't using until you are left with you're one or two per cat.

Some feral cats have problems because of the substrate change. In which case, putting a little soil or vegetation in the box can help make it feel better.

Here are some other links that could help:

Litter Training Kittens
Litter Box Training
How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box

Clow1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks :) he has been in his litter tray over the past few days but not used it as of yet. Tonight I'll shut him in the kitchen and hope he uses it he hasn't been to the toilet since I got him home yet. He had done though whilst at the vets. They said he passed quite a lot of worms but they were dead so his worming treatment worked.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks :) he has been in his litter tray over the past few days but not used it as of yet. Tonight I'll shut him in the kitchen and hope he uses it he hasn't been to the toilet since I got him home yet. He had done though whilst at the vets. They said he passed quite a lot of worms but they were dead so his worming treatment worked.
Yay! New environment and all it could be up to 24 or 36 hours before he goes. I know my boy will hold it for that long when he really doesn't want to use the litter box.

Clow1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rubysmama tbe vet said weeks but a few people have said they think hes older. I dont think hes as old as 10 months though x
Awww... what a cutie pie. :lovecat:

10 weeks? Or 10 months?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the vaccines, here's a reliable reference for you: Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating

This is not anti-vaccines....it is against excess/unnecessary vaccination.

I find it's a bit 'wordy', so I skim. There are a few important points, though. For kittens, two 'sets' are just fine, whereas some Vets are still giving three. Don't allow him (which means ask the question, don't presume) to get any "adjuvanted" vaccine (that's explained in there). Finally, while Vets will re-vaccinate every 1 or 3 years, there appears to be no need for this, as lifelong immunity is apparent. Now, with Rabies vaccine (which is mandated in US states and by each state) a cat needs to be "up-to-date".....so, this means a little 'dancing with the devil'. We could leave that discussion for later. For now, see if there's one of these low-cost vaccine clinics near you - they use non-adjuvanted vaccines exclusively: VIP petcare.com