Neutering Our Adopted Stray

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A happy family is a joy to behold!

If he misses the litter box bury the solids you find in it. Put a paper towel with the liquid you wiped up under the litter too. It's a way to tell him 'do it here'.

You might want to keep an eye on the electrical cords, the young ones find them tempting to chew on. I coat my electrical cords, all of them cats can reach with pepper sauce - I use the red, it's easier to see where I've painted it and what's still to be done. Others use bitter apple no chew spray, don't get it on your fingers and be prepared to go outside for a bit if you over spray.

Don't forget the cords to chargers they only take a second to chew through.

Still others cover the cords with pipe insulation foam -- it comes in long easy to cut tubes -- get if from the hardware store. Others use pvc pipe which is excellent when you have a cat that just can't leave the wires alone.

Expecting more helpful hints including what I forgot about cords

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clow1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys! You've all been so helpful
I'm in the UK so I don't think we do rabies shots? Although I'm unsure. I really can't get over how calm he is in the house now.. it's like he's been here for ages. Considering 11 days ago he wouldn't go near any human he is doing so well. I've just ordered him some toys and a cat tree. My other half thinks I'm mad...but this is a special kitty he chose us

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
'Didn't realize you were "over there"!

Nope - no reason for Rabies, then.

However........they will push the Feline Leukemia vaccine on you (anything for an ol' £). So, read what Dr. Pierson has to say about that vaccine in that article. IT is also an adjuvanted product from most manufacturers, save one.......so, first, if you keep him indoors, there's NO need for it; second, if you decide you wish him to have it, find a clinic that uses the Merial company's PUREVAX product: Merial Vaccines for Cats

And, what's equally horrid about practices there (sorry!) is that vaccine injections are commonly given in the cat's back - as opposed to in a leg at the most distally possible point (farthest away from the body). Now, years and years ago, Vet medicine in North America changed over to using a limb vs abdominal site, because of the risk of "Injection Site Sarcoma". The World Small Animal Veterinary Association has also adopted this protocol. Should one of these usually fatal cancers develop, amputation of a limb is more likely to be curative than excising part of the body's trunk. Sadly, however, the UK Vets plod along..........

Clow1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cool I'll read up the article. To be fair none of the vets pushed any vaccine on me at all today. They seemed pretty pleased that I've taken him on and got him neutered they were great. They washed all his bedding etc for me incase it had any fleas from before he was treated which I thought was good of them. He's pooped in the bathroom on the mat so I've put it in the litter tray and put the litter tray in the downstairs loo (connected to the kitchen) he's shut in the kitchen now and hopefully he will have a decent rest now the rest of the house are sleeping. Fingers crossed! X

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Clow1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got up this morning and he's nowhere to be seen. My eldest has left a note saying he wasn't in the kitchen. I think she's let him out by mistake!

I'm so angry and annoyed and upset. Usually he would be straight there for a ouch of his kitten food. I've gone out and rusted it like I normally would when he was out and there's no sign!

I'm so mad I could kill my daughter.. also mad at my self for not getting up earlier surely he can't be in the house or he would be here for food? He's used his litter tray over night and his biscuits are gone so I know he was in.. He can't have got outside otherwise and he's not here... what do I do? Just wait?
I'm devastated.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy to hear he's found!

To check in the house since cats seem to be able to go into the 4th dimension at will - rattle treats, if that doesn't work - open canned tuna and other sea-foods before panicking and beginning the search.

Be aware that inside cats can get trapped in places - for example it there is a hole in the cold air intake a cat can go into the wonderful world of heat ducks. A small hole under your floor level kitchen cabinets might lead to the wall or the basement rather than the next cabinet. Search for holes (backs of closets, under sinks and behind plumbing) with a big roll of duck tape. Good luck.

Oh, and cats can actually accidentally fall out of houses. Be sure all your windows have glass panes or screening. yes, I mean that tiny window in the butler's pantry.

Also get some really good flashlights for looking for cats at night.

End of more information than you asked for. ;)

Clow1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well today Kit has had more of the house than I'd have liked... eldest came home didn't listen to the rules as in keep your bedroom door shu, all bedroom doors must be shut... she obviously as a teenager thought I was daft...which ended with cat pee on her bed and poop on her school blazer... I think tomorrow she will keep her bedroom door shut haha. Also I'll be adding a second litter tray tomorrow to the upstairs bathroom incase he manages to end up with the full run of the house again.. hisbfave hiding place is behind the downstairs toilet (I've tried to block it off but he still manages to get in there)... I'm hoping when the cat tree arrives he will take to a spot in there.. any tips for encouraging that? He has been more shy today although he did come for a cuddle earlier today and this evening he's had a good half hour of love from me and my other half.. He let's us pick him up onto our laps if he's in a friendly mood. He still has to approach us for this though and it's usually after he's eaten but that's fine by me. That's my amazing other half and our Kit in the photo taken about an hour ago before we have all settled for bed.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's wrong with him hiding behind the toilet? My 50 lb Border Collie - chow did that during bad storms. Okay, I was afraid for the lightening, but grateful that he chose the most stable spot in the house in case of tornadoes. He would. not. go. into. the. basement. ever.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's because the plumbing is boxed in and he can get into the casing... not sure where it all leads... He is happy with his tree so far.

Nice Tree! Just a thought; how stable is the tree? If it feels tippy, would you be able to beef up the base? In regards to attaching it (ie. screw, nail, etc.) to a larger square (plywood) to keep it from tipping over. These little guys will at times, run / accelerate, then jump in it at full speed.

Anyways, just a thought. This thread is really something, in regards to all of yous! He sure found himself a great, "VERY" loving home!

Pops

Clow1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He managed to escape this morning. I had to go to work and done nothing but panic all day. Got home and an hour later still no sign, after 2 hours he returned. He was a little wary but came back inside. He's now snuggled up to me on the sofa asleep. The first time he has slept openly infront of us all. He's the first feline I've had since being a child.. Well other than my partners that only came to live here for a short while. I can't believe how well he seems to have settled with us.