Caught My Feral...what Now?

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we had this kitty visit us back in July. Didn't think anything about it. We already have 3 cats. 1 we adopted from a rescue and was told it was a feral socialized kitten. Honestly, she's the best of our 3 cats. 1 cat was a stray that was skin and bones that approached our youngest daughter one day. We took him in and the only issue he has is that he hates feet. I'm going to guess he might have been kicked or something at one time or another. Our 3rd cat we found in our back field at 4 days old. Bottle fed her and she's a happy girl. She's more skittish than the others though. Loud noises and other people will send her into hiding.
My guess is that this cat that we caught was coming to visit my cats. Always alone. No other cats with it. We had a terrible storm that night. My husband couldn't sleep so he went downstairs to the couch and could hear this cat howling pathetically under our deck. He said it sounded like it wanted in out of the storm. Weeks went by never saw the cat. Then out of the blue we hear something trying to get under our grill (we made steak on the grill for dinner that night). I looked out the upstairs window but couldn't see anything. Husband went to kitchen and opened patio door and looked around and couldn't see anything.
Fast forward another week. Cat showed up again looking skinny. We started feeding it. This went on for a month and then we tried catching it 3 times and failed each time. After the first failure he disappeared for a week. Second time was a few days and the 3rd time, a day. He always came back though. Can't open the sliding door, he bolts. He sits outside on the deck cleaning himself. He looks in the sliding glass door at us, makes full eye contact. Will come to the edge of the window by the open window screen right under us and look but if we make any sudden movements he bolts. We watch tv during the warmer days with the windows open and he just hangs out with us like he's one of ours, he just does it outside on the deck. When he's done he goes down the stairs and yowls his goodbye.
So I came looking on here. Told hubby we need to set the trap and put the food on the edge and slowly move it to the back. We've been doing this for the past 2 weeks now. Last night we set the trap and caught him(?).
Ghost (what we named it) is in a large dog crate in my garage for now. When we put him in there he went to the far corner hissed and hunkered down. I crouched down talking softly. He doesn't perceive me as a threat. He will make eye contact with me and do the squinting thing. Even outside he did this on my deck. He hasn't yowled at all. He's thrown himself against the cage. Dumped the food and water dishes and moved his litter box. We got a lamp with a dim bulb, clock radio with classical music on, and draped the crate with this left over black heavy duty felt we had. We left him alone other than to set this stuff up.
I went in there this morning to check on him. He will barely make eye contact with me now. He was ok for the most part. Cleaned what I could of the cage, which honestly wasn't much. Grabbed the turned over food and water dishes but still left the mess on the bottom of the cage of the soft food that got spilled. One of the dishes was close to him and he hissed at me to let me know I was too close. He didn't swat at me, just got up and walked to the corner farthest from me. Tried to leave the felt off the front but he started banging against the cage.
We need to put a door on the room we want to put him in and that's out goal this weekend. I also know that I need to treat him with parasite killer but don't know how that's going to work. I'm afraid that the Capstar will probably scare the crud out of him. I also need to find a vet that handles ferals, and then figure out how to get him contained again.
My husband wants to keep him, he's said as much. I've told him it could take a year and even then he might never be a lap cat.
I just feel over whelmed at this point. I know this is a long post. I've read the how to tame a feral and tough love videos. I can understand how people get discouraged really fast. Looking at him I would think he's miserable too. But I keep talking and telling him winter's coming and this is for the best. I think I'm trying to convince myself of this too.
The picture is the one time he visited during the day. I was loading my dishwasher and he honestly shocked the heck out of me being here, had never seen his during the day. I tried putting food out and he bolted.
IMG_20181002_144749.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Wow, good on you-all!!

Could you wrap a damp cloth around a stick or something and wipe up the bottom of the cage that way? - maybe just kibble until things get a little more calm?

Anyway, your plan sounds great. Neither of these good people are on the site right at the moment but let me touch base with them for you;
msaimee msaimee Jcatbird Jcatbird

Just in case you haven't seen this one;
Handling Feral Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I did see that one. I used a yard stick to scoot the food dish to the edge of the cage so I could grab it. That's when he hissed at me and moved. He hasn't lunged at me yet or anything of that sort. The way he acted in the trap scared me the most. I've seen the members you're talking of while perusing this sight for answers. As I said, I've done research. I just didn't think we would catch him. Now that we have I'm kinda just kinda like stumped and having a panic attack like moment.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had a feral mom cat in a cage, I would use a plastic Rubbermaid container lid as a shield, so I could clean the cage and handle her kittens. To get the kitty used to being touched, you can take a duster handle or a brush with a handle and rub his back with it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:Please don’t be stressed. I know the feeling but all of this can be worked out. It may go more quickly than you imagine. Hang in there. The following post is long but it might help.
The cat already adopted you. He does have a level of trust but he is mad. You did something he was not expecting. Cats are forgiving. When he starts to understand that things are okay he will start to relax. There is a process to follow and it varies a bit with each individual but it works. At least it has worked for me well over a hundred times. Others do it as well.
Getting him a room will help but you can expect him to be wary for a while. Imagine if some large creature captured and imprisoned you. At first it would be scary, then you would be mad but if you discovered that your life became safe and really great for the first time in your life, you would begin to see things in a better light. If the creature made you happy and loved you then your life could be wonderful. Especially if you had loved them from the start and dreamed of being with them. The kitty will adjust. It will work out if you are patient and put in the love.
Crom your description of him hissing but moving away as you work to clean around him is a good sign. He did not strike. I think if you sit with him as he eats it will start the bonding. I use special treats to get the cats to trust. All meat baby food is a favorite. I also use a ham sandwich meat by Carl Buddig. I don’t know why they love that ham but it is a real cat winner. I also use chicken canned in water. It just depends on which thing the cat prefers. I start by just adding a little of the treat to their meal. When I know they love it I begin to move their food dish closer to where I sit by them and I stay still with them while they eat. I do this until they understand it’s okay. Over time I move the plate, ever closer to me. This will work, even in the crate. If you move Ghost to a room he will start out by hiding so limit the places he can get away from you. He will need a place he can retreat to and feel safe but you don’t want him where he can’t be reached. Anyway, after you move him to the room continue with putting his food near you. Upon relocation he may be upset but just spend time shut in the room with him. Quiet time where you talk to him and feed him. Continue to move his food near you until you can try to hand him a treat. He will probably grab it and bolt at first but keep doing it. As he trusts that this is safe you can place the treat on your lap. Let him grab it without bothering him. When he trusts that this is safe you can try to pet him from behind. He will jump away but if you do this a little at first then gradually increase he should begin to allow it and hopefully realize that it can feel good. I also use a small brush for this if they remain afraid of fingers. A brush along the back of the neck or base of the tail is something that will feel like another cat or just a scratch at an itchy spot that is hard for them to reach. A sneak pet is how I touch them all to start out.
Spending time just laying on the floor , belly up, shows the cat you trust them and they will be curious about what you are doing. This is more quality and bonding time. I often sleep near them so they can investigate me when they are confident it is safe to do so. Once Ghost trusts you to pet then you can start trying to pick him up. At first he will try to get down. Immediately let him. Practice this routine unt you feel you can place him in your lap or hold him against you. Lots of neck scratching at this time helps. When he tries to get away it works best if you can place him back down so that he understands you are freely letting him go when he wants to be released.
I know this sounds like a lot and maybe time consuming but I am often surprised at how well some cats adjust. Some do it at a much quicker pace than you might think. I have never had a stray or feral that did not adjust to being held, picked up and petted.
There are lots of tips I can share with you as you go along. The way Ghost reacts will determine the pace. His body language will tell you a lot. Hissing is showing fear and to back off. A swat is to force you to stop. A twitching tail is anxiety and can lead to the previous two. Turning his back to you is to give you the cold shoulder and say stop or go away please. Putting his ears back is irritation but not as serious as a hiss. There are lots of signs you will be able to see.
I know this post is long but this takes some explaining. Lol There are many little details that can help you along and I am sure that if you continue to write in there are lots of great people here with experience who will be willing to help you. What you are doing for this cat is a truly wonderful thing. I greatly admire you for doing this. I know the vet stuff and a lot of the things you will be doing seem daunting right now but it is my experience that you will soon be looking back with a sigh of contentment and happy cats. I got a call yesterday from someone who adopted a feral rescue from me a year ago. The cat is named Shakespeare and his adopting Mom wanted me to know that he was insisting upon celebrating his birthday that she snuggle him all day. She took him for a walk in the park with her dog. Both were wearing new harnesses and on leashes. Pretty amazing for a wild kitty. Now he owns the house and claims everyone there as family. Cats are smart and amazing animals. Trust Ghost and let him trust you. He already chose you to love so he knows you are something special. You have already done a great job with him. The rest will fall into place as you go. Feel free to PM me with any concerns or questions and please do update everyone here on your thread. Many people here really care and will be following your story. Welcome to thecatsite! It’s very nice to meet you, family and all the kitties!:hellocomputer:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the very first step is to get him to a vet ASAP to get neutered. See if you could get him the quickest appointment possible. Afterwards, I would get him out of the crate and into a room of his own. Feral cats hate confinement more than any other kinds of cats, it is very stressful for them. Give him a cat-proofed room of his own after the neuter to recover. I know there are people who use crating as a method of trying to socualize a feral cat, but I have never used a crate, nor will I ever in socializing a cat, I think it only increases their stress. After you get your kitty neutered, then you will need to use your judgment regarding what is best for him. Some feral cats, usually the ones under a year of age, can adjust well to being indoor only cats. I have successfully socialized four formerly feral cats a year old and younger to be content living in doors. However, there are many older feral cats who don't make this adjustment, and would be happier being cared for as an outdoor cat. Once he is neutered, if you release him back outside, you can provide him a warm shelter and continue to feed him and care for him. You will know whether or not he adjusts to indoor life using your gut instincts. If he does not begin to calm down and adjust to indoor life after a month, if he cries and slams himself against the doors and windows, then the kindest course of action might be to release him back outside. Of course there are other things to consider, such as how safe he is outside. If you have coyotes in your area, or neighbors who poison cats, or you live near a highway, then that has two be factored into the decision as well. Many people here have successfully socialized adult feral cats to indoor life, but it takes several months or years. But the very first step is to get him to a vet to be neutered, so that if you decide to release him back outside, you will have done the largest favored in the world for him. Thank you for taking care of this cat!

Last edited:

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. We live in a semi rural area. Basically my town is corn fields. Only 1800 people here. We have fox, coyotes, HUGE coons, possum, turkey vultures, hawks, you get the gist. I do know that people shoot ferals here. My daughter came home today and told me a kid in her class once saw Ghost and was going to shoot him. There is also a road right next to our subdivision where it's 60 mph. I live in northwestern Illinois. So winter is right around the corner. He could probably hunker down and survive the winter but I don't think that would be the best option for him. And as I said people shoot ferals. I know it could take a year possibly longer. I've read everything.
I've been visiting him every 2 hours and talking to him. I managed to clean part of his cage just now and he let me. He's looking at me again and making squinty eyes. So far so good. Short order first is finding a vet that will take him. Getting him fixed, shotted, parasite meds and tested for the sake of my cats. The crate was a last minute thing since we didn't have an enclosed room.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering your situation, I think you're making the right decision. Most vets will neuter a feral if he is brought to them either in a trap, or in a pet carrier where the top can be removed so they can give him a sedative shot. As long as there is room for them to safely access him to administer a sedative while he is in the crate, it should be no problem. Humane Society would definitely do the neuter and other treatment, and usually at a discounted rate since he is a feral. Animal Friends will also, but they usually have a long waiting list. But I really don't think you will have any problems finding a vet to treat him as long as they can safely administer the sedative to him. While he is at the vet, you can cat- proof a room for him. Are there other pets in the household? If not, the process will be much easier. If finances allow, you could purchase a tall cat tree for him from eBay or Amazon, usually for under $100. Cats love height, and there are cubby holes for them to hide in, but still be within your sight. People will give you more detailed information about cat proofing a room when the time comes. Let us know how it goes.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing the right thing to attempt to keep him, and indoor if possible sounds like your best bet. Ferals take longer to calm down, but Ghost is not the most feral of the ferals...those are the ones you never see at all, or you TNR them and they make a point of never being within 100 feet of you, even if food is available. He has a chance at making a transition and you might be surprised where he will be even within a couple of weeks.

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I checked him this morning. He hissed at me but again that was it. As we speak my husband is putting the door on his mancave so we can get Ghost in there tonight.
He's curious. A couple rooms are above the garage. He looks around when he hears things but doesn't jump or freak out. He ate lasst night. Baby food wasn't his favorite. The Friskies soft is still. Our little kitty loves chicken breast so from time to time we make her some and put it in the fridge. When Ghost was coming around we would pput what she didn't eat in his bowl outside. I think I'll make some and try to get him to eat in front of me. I tried a little fork of tuna, he perked his ears and looked but still wouldn't eat in front of me. When my husband walked out he came out of his corner and relaxed and talked to me. I spoke with him and asked him how his day was and what was new. He replied with meow. lol
We have a lot of farms so he might have been a barn cat that roamed away from the farm for food. i'm hoping he's a semi feral that was once a house cat that someone threw outside. Either way he's home now.
Thanks for all the encouragement. It's very nice to hear others thoughts than my own freaked out voice in my head. :)

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we think Ghost is a she. Unless, like my stray Trix, is neutered already. We got her into the mancave on Saturday evening after my daughter's volleyball tournament. My husband worked till 8pm getting the door on. We sat with her and talked to her. Watched some tv with her that evening.
She will hiss if we get too close. She's started growling also. She didn't do this previously in the crate.
Sunday went shopping. Got her 3 litter boxes to put in the room with some potting soil. Her very own catnip mousy. and Feliway plug in. Again, we sat in the room watching tv . She pretty much sits in the window and ignores us. She will eat in front of us if we put the food close enough to her. My husband will place it in the cat tree that we moved from our front room (since my cats don't use it) to the mancave. Sunday she layed in the highest cubby and fell asleep all stretched out while we watched tv. Her paw was poking out of the hole and it was really tempting to just go and lightly touch it, but I refrained from doing so.
Monday we took a slight step back. I knocked and went into the room and couldn't find her. She managed to wedge herself behind the couch we had in there. So I moved the couch and she growled and hissed at me then went to sit in the window and look outside like usual.
I went into the room with treats and lightly tossed them at her. She ignored me. Finally when she thought I wasn't looking she ate one. Woohoo!!!
Today my daughter was trying to take a nap in there with her. She told me that she felt air across her hand. She said she didn't move or open her eyes, but she knew it was Ghost. She said that Trix (our stray boy cat) started meowing in the hallway and Ghost was answering him. So my daughter got up and Ghost went into her tower like usual. We're making strides slowly but surely.
She has an appointment with a vet on Tuesday. She getting parasite meds, spayed, groomed, tested for Felv/Fiv and shots. They're also a kennel and said that she can stay for 6 days after to get after care meds and made comfortable. I know this is a normal occurrence but I want her comfortable and not in any pain or freaking out. It might set us back again but we got plenty of time now that she's home and won't be going outside anymore.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like things are really going well with Ghost. Good for you and your family for taking her in, especially before winter arrives!

About a month ago, I brought inside a stray cat and a semi-feral cat who I had been feeding (they had become buddies!) and so I'm reading a ton of things about how to make this work. Lots of people on TCS have given me ideas and advice, and I also just read what other people are going through for more help and definitely for inspiration.

Your experiences sound pretty typical and very hopeful for a good future with this little girl... well, you will find out for sure on Tuesday if Ghost IS a girl! Keep us posted with how she is doing and good luck at the vets!

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I've come to the conclusion that Ghost is a stray that went feral. There are lots of behaviors that come shining through. Yesterday my daughter and I were in her room just watching tv. Out of the blue my daughter decides shes going to throw the shoe lace that we had tied to the cat tree for our younger cat at Ghost. I just kind of looked at her and told her good luck, don't be surprised if she freaks and hisses at you. she threw it and my mouth was hanging open! She started playing tug with it with her. I was totally speechless!!! She did this for a bit then jumped down. Later that day I tried, and she hissed and wanted nothing to do with me. Go figure. I think she's bonded with my older daughter lol.
We spend quite a bit of time with her just watching tv and hanging out. I don't push her or anything. I just talk to her, my daughter, my husband, myself some days. Saturday morning my husband and I were in there talking and my husband decided to try and pet her again (he pushes Ghost's boundaries). I just watch and figure if he gets swatted at or bit it's his own fault (she hasn't ever done this). So Ghost is sitting on the windowsill like usual and my husband rests his hand about 18 inches away from her. He slowly moves his hand towards her. Finally he gets his hand and reaches over and pets her. She flinches but doesn't growl or anything. So he takes his fingers and is rubbing them together in circle next to her. Kid you not, shocked the heck out of me. She looks at his finger and squinty eyes them and turns and looks back out the window. Holy carp!!!
Yesterday she got up wandered around the room and then laid down on the tv entertainment shelf and went to sleep on her side with her belly showing with us in there.
As I said she shows moments of being a previous pet. I'm almost sad that she's going to the vets for a week. We've made strides in her behavior. she's no where being a normal cat but she's getting better.
One of the most prominent negative behavior she has is yowling. She's resorted to crying loudly. Right now she's quiet. But if I go in there she'll start back up. She'll calm down but then if I leave she starts back up again. She also woke me up multiple times last night doing it. This has been going on for a week now. Since we moved her into the room. She wasn't doing it in the garage. It started out maybe once or twice a night to almost every hour. My youngest is in the room next to hers and she's been complaining that it's waking her up. My oldest this morning complained that Ghost woke her up. She was exceptionally bad last night. Probably the worst yet. she has a plug in. I hope once she gets spayed that it will calm her down more. Otherwise I'm going to have to try the Zylkene to calm her down. She won't play on a regular basis so I can't tire her out so she sleeps. I also don't know if this is a territory issue and she see's other cats in our yard at night that causes her to vocal about it. Though, I've taken my cats in the same room with her and she doesn't show any aggression towards them. My daughter will hold Sammy (my feral kitten rescue) and just pet her but not let her go or let her wander the room since I don't want Sammy hurt (Sammy has no teeth due to health issue), and Ghost won't do anything but watch. Yesterday she chirped at Sammy before my daughter took her from the room because Sammy started getting agitated. Ghost didn't yowl, growl his or anything. So either it's separation anxiety or boredom at night.
Just another two cents...she has food. We haven't been restricting because I wanted her healthy for the surgery. I figured that it's better that she be healthy and nourished that trying to train right now. So hunger isn't an issue either.
Sorry for the long post just trying to get my thoughts out there for someone to bounce back at me about.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
WOW, this sounds wonderful!!
I think that she'll be a bit upset when she comes back from the vet but giving her space when/if she needs it, patience and time will bring her back around.
For the yowling, can you try really low volume harp music or some other music for cats?
If she can see out, can you put a plastic covering on the window glass?

Separation Anxiety In Cats

Last edited:

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have black plastic in the garage. When she comes back and is yowling again I may do this. We had classical music and she still did it. Now it's on talk radio and she's still doing it. She'll do it a little while I'm in there but I tell no use quiet voice. She'll calm down and meow softly then.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww, she loves you, that's so neat-o that she'll get quieter when you ask her to!

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we managed to get Ghost in the carrier this morning. That was pure HELL!!! Growling, swatting, climbing walls. He still calmed down when I was talking to him though.
Ghost is a he!!!! Just got a call from the vet and all is going well. He's getting the works!
They also found a broken canine that had the roots exposed. I'm thinking he might have bitten the crate and broke it. That's coming out. I told them to do everything to make him comfortable.
They estimate him to be about a year old. So he's still pretty young.