Need Help

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If everyone is eating fine with the 1/8th teaspoon, then I'd increase to 1/4 teas and see what happens.  If anyone balks at that, then I would decrease THEIRS back to 1/8th.  But as long as they are accepting the higher amount, then I would slowly keep increasing.  I don't think you need to worry about serving them unbalance raw yet, since it's still such a small amount.  Even if you got to 1 teaspoon before the Hare-Today and supplements arrive, that's still a pretty small amount overall

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmomof6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok...sounds good.  I thought it was ok to bump up the amount but I didn't want to rush anything 

catmomof6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well...bumped raw chicken up to 1/4 tsp, everything is  a-ok!!  Knock on wood!!  But while I was getting everyone's dinner ready, my little sneaky Nickey stole a piece of freeze dried liver so after they all ate I decided to see who liked what.  Nickey likes freeze dried chicken and beef liver.  Jax doesn't like any, Shelby likes beef, Gage likes Turkey, and Zoe likes chicken and beef.  

My 6th cat Molly well...how do I put it?  She moved out and moved in with my mom.  We have a mother -in- law suite attached to our house for my mom and she leaves her door open all the time so the cats can go back and forth.  Molly I guess decided she didn't want to live here anymore and moved in with my mom.  She stays with my mom all the time, sometimes she comes to visit.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well...bumped raw chicken up to 1/4 tsp, everything is  a-ok!!  Knock on wood!!  But while I was getting everyone's dinner ready, my little sneaky Nickey stole a piece of freeze dried liver so after they all ate I decided to see who liked what.  Nickey likes freeze dried chicken and beef liver.  Jax doesn't like any, Shelby likes beef, Gage likes Turkey, and Zoe likes chicken and beef.  
:clap: :clap: :clap: Little by little! :D

My 6th cat Molly well...how do I put it?  She moved out and moved in with my mom.  We have a mother -in- law suite attached to our house for my mom and she leaves her door open all the time so the cats can go back and forth.  Molly I guess decided she didn't want to live here anymore and moved in with my mom.  She stays with my mom all the time, sometimes she comes to visit.:dk:   
We have a couple that would probably choose that option if it existed. :lol3: Aw...... :hugs: :rub:

meranaldar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6th cat Molly well...how do I put it?  She moved out and moved in with my mom.  We have a mother -in- law suite attached to our house for my mom and she leaves her door open all the time so the cats can go back and forth.  Molly I guess decided she didn't want to live here anymore and moved in with my mom.  She stays with my mom all the time, sometimes she comes to visit.

My cat sometimes does things something like that. There's no one else she can go and stay with, but usually she spends most of her time in my bedroom/office (same room), and pretty much always sleeps on my legs at night. But last couple of months she has decided she likes the spare bedroom, and spends most of her sleeping time in there, including over night. Then last week she moved back to sleeping in with me at night, and switching between my bedroom and the spare bedroom at other times.

No other changes in behavior.

She just does things like that. Even in my bedroom, her sleeping spot changes now and again. She might like her little igloo bed thing for a couple of months, always being in it, then won't touch it for 6+ months, then decides she likes it again.

Same with sitting in my lap, she'll go through periods (could be a couple of weeks or a couple of months) where I can't sit down at the computer without her wanting to sit in my lap, and then periods where she just likes sleeping nearby on my bed or scratching pole setup or such and no interest in my lap.

No idea if all cats are like that or not, I've never had another cat, though after almost 14 years I'm used to it.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So, how's it going? :cross: Have you made another bump in the amount? Is Gage still going for the freeze dried liver topper? Did the Hare Today stuff arrive? What did you order? And did you get the Alnutrin, or did you order individual supplements along the lines of the other recipes? And did you order chunks of meat or ground meats?

catmomof6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things are alright????  I did bump up the amount to 1/2 tsp, all is good.  I did not get the Hare today order yet and I have not received an email today with the tracking number.  I ordered it last Wednesday.    I ordered a whole chicken but they cut it up in pieces, Chicken hearts, livers and beef kidney.  

I received the grinder today so since I didn't have the Hare order I went to the store and picked up chicken pieces - 2 Breast, 2 legs, 2 quarters.  4 lbs.  I then started making up a batch but when it came to the vitamins I realized the B50 and Alnutrin has not arrived yet!!  So I was thinking that it should be here soon, the batch will be ok with out them for a couple days and when they arrive I will mix them in. 

I finished making the batch and Gage wouldn't eat it....lol?????!!!  He is a little Sh*t!  But, on the other hand I put 1/2 tsp of the batch in with the others canned and they ate it with no problem.  I think I will do the same with Gage with his plain chicken, calcium and freeze dried liver.  When I was cutting up the chicken he was helping me make it disappear.  He was eating the skin laying on the counter and chewing on the chicken raw/meat bones after I cut the meat off.  Then Shelby his brother came up and started eating also.  I have 3 that are really, really, close but just not there yet.  What Gage ate when I was making the batch was all that he ate tonight.  They get a snack later so I will see what he does then.  

catmomof6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
grrrrrr.....I am so frustrated!!!   
  I made up the chicken mixture which I have been mixing with the canned food.  The kids are now not eating their whole dish of food which they where finishing up the whole dish when I was putting chicken breast in it.  Gage...I mixed the chicken mixture  with his chicken breast, sprinkled egg shell powder and freeze dried liver on it like usual.

He wouldn't  eat it!!  
 so far he hasn't had any dinner.

Why are these cats so fussy???  They were feral, they ate anything under the sun but they won't eat good stuff I am making for them?????  I want to scream!!

It probably wouldn't bother me so bad if they didn't get sick by not getting the right nutrition.

Oh yeah....I even tried the stella and chewy with Gage tonight, he wasn't impressed.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, so what changed between 22 hours ago, and 20minutes ago?  Did your Alnutrin come in and you mixed that in?  You said they ate the new chicken mixture 22 hours ago, and that was breasts, thighs and drumsticks, right?  Just no supplements? 

It wouldn't surprise me if they hadn't eaten any of the "new" mix, because it was different from what you had been feeding them, but since they ate it 22 hours ago, then it's a little strange they didn't eat it a few minutes ago, unless something else was added to it since last night.  But cats are odd little characters.  What mine will LOVE one meal, suddenly they will stop eating...
.  It happened with Radcat lamb, but Tinky had been eating that, and only that for months on end, not your situation at all.

All I can suggest is to go back down to 1/8th teaspoon mixed into their canned again, or else try some toppers.  I don't know what to tell you for Gage.  Maybe he's not a leg man  
  You may just have to go back to breasts only for him, then maybe later try thighs alone.  He could be like some picky kids who dont like their foods to touch on their plates

catmomof6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I definitely think Gage is one of those kids that doesn't like his food to touch.  Hmmm.....I added chicken liver tonight because my Hare today order came.  

The batch I made up yesterday had breasts, thighs, drumsticks.  I also added Egg yolk, salmon oil, (taurine - because I didn't have hearts),  physllium, lite salt and Vit E.  The only supplements I didn't mix in were B50 and Alnutrin Mulitgland which I haven't received either yet.  I used Catnutrition.org recipe.  

Now...after they ate, and I vented  
  I left the food out (not too long)  to see if they would finish it up.  They finally did, except for Gage of course.  

Tonight I gave them their snack and they ate all of that.  For Gage I gave him 1/2 tsp of mix and canned seafood Meow Mix.  I have a sample of Call of the Wild coming, I am hoping Gage will eat that with his Breasts!!  

Some men only like Breasts!!    
 Shhheeeessshhh!  

catmomof6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All is well in the fussy cat household....knock on wood!  

To make sure I am doing this right here is what I prepare:

1.  All 5 get .75oz of raw mix (compliments of catnutrition.org - I just have to mix B50 and Immoplex Grandular in since I didn't have them when I made the mix)

2.  4 of them get .75 oz. canned on top of the mix.  

3.  Gage gets .75 oz raw chicken w/eggshell powder and FD liver on top of the chicken.

Some of them at certain times I have to add toppers, because they are just like "I'm not feeling it today".

I feed this meal 3 x's/day.  So if my calculations are correct they are getting approximately 4.5 oz./day.  Gage, Jax and Shelby get a little more because they are not overweight, they are just right.  Nickey and Zoe are overweight so they get 4.5 oz/day.  I will eventually add in different proteins, I just wanted to get them transitioned first before I go changing anything.

Or,  would changing proteins now be a good thing?

Call of the Wild will be here today.  I ordered a sample, received it last week and Shelby goes nuts over it so I ordered him some more.  
Right at this point they all will eat raw chicken with some kind of topper on it but not all the time.  I am still undecided whether or not I am going to make my own, buy grounded, or just meat w/COW or something like that.  

On a good note....I have seen improvements, especially in their attitudes!!! 
  All are more friendly and playful, not just sluggish lumps on logs!!!

Gage is the biggggggg, huge improvement.  He was very scared and timid even if you looked at him he would run and hide.  He has been out, letting me pet him, he even sits on my lap!!!  He is trying to sit on my laptop as I type this!!

Zoe is an improvement too...she would hide under our bed and sleep all day.  About a month ago we had to put our dog Rusty down  
.  He had heart failure, arthritis and respiratory failure, he was 12.  He was attached to my husband at the hip, went everywhere with us even to work.  Well, after Rusty, every night when we were watching TV Zoe would get up on my husband's lap and lay there with him.  She never did that until Rusty was no longer with us.   Now she hangs out downstairs and even plays!

catmomof6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
  As I was coming to an end of the last post....I was hearing a bag crinkling sound so I checked it out, here Gage and Shelby had the Stella and Chewy's bag opened.  I had already tried it and not one of them liked it, but I tried it wet.  Today since they had the bag ripped open I crumbled some on a plate for them, they all liked it!!!   

If this was your house and kids what would you do??

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, it always tastes better if you steal it yourself! :lol3:

If they like it dry, maybe crumble some up and sprinkle it on their raw meat? But wait until they REALLY get hooked on it before using it as a topper.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like things are going great! :clap:

Yes - I was VERY surprised at the behavior changes in my cats. I really didn't expect that. We have 8 in a very small space - and they all became friendler, less hissy / pissy, and just... happier. I think it's because they feel better. :nod:

Sounds like you're doing everything just fine! :bigthumb: I found that I needed to reduce the amount of food a little over time, so just keep an eye on their weight. Maybe check in with the scale every 2 or 3 weeks.

So Gage isn't a fan of the CoTW? :lol3: Isn't it always the way - the kitty we need to like something doesn't. :rolleyes:

And you don't really need to change proteins... I assume you portion up the batches for meals? So you can make a batch with a different protein combo, and introduce it when and how you want, really - because you'll still have the stuff you know you can get them to eat handy.

...and I'm sorry about Rusty. :rbheart:

catmomof6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha, it always tastes better if you steal it yourself!

If they like it dry, maybe crumble some up and sprinkle it on their raw meat? But wait until they REALLY get hooked on it before using it as a topper.
Isn't that the truth!!  
 They know what I am doing but they act like they don't!!  Cats have a way of doing that  

catmomof6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

We are on 100% raw!!!  

The lazy man's raw...but non the less it is raw!  Right now I am using chicken breast with CoTW on top for 4 of them.

Gage gets, in layers,  chicken, CoTW, Chicken, Eggshell powder, Freeze Dried Liver.  (The only way he will eat it is w/eggshell and Freeze Dried Liver on top....after he is done eating he looks like a druggy w/ white powder on his nose... 
 )  I add CoTW in between chicken to see if he will get use to it.  He is eating it with no problem but right now if I just use that on top he won't eat it.

Is that good or do I need to add alittle something else?  CoTW has everything in it as far as nutrients, supplements, liver, bone, omega 3's, etc., correct?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

We are on 100% raw!!!  

The lazy man's raw...but non the less it is raw!  Right now I am using chicken breast with CoTW on top for 4 of them.

Gage gets, in layers,  chicken, CoTW, Chicken, Eggshell powder, Freeze Dried Liver.  (The only way he will eat it is w/eggshell and Freeze Dried Liver on top....after he is done eating he looks like a druggy w/ white powder on his nose... 
 )  I add CoTW in between chicken to see if he will get use to it.  He is eating it with no problem but right now if I just use that on top he won't eat it.

Is that good or do I need to add alittle something else?  CoTW has everything in it as far as nutrients, supplements, liver, bone, omega 3's, etc., correct?
Yay on 100% raw

Yes, Call of the Wild has everything in it that Gage needs, therefore by using eggshell powder and freeze dried liver too, he might be getting too much calcium and possibly too much Vit A (probably you're ok on the Vit A.if you're just using the freeze dried liver as a topper).  So...what I would do is simply cut back on the amount of each of the other two a little (if you haven't already).  But if he likes the taste of eggshell powder and freeze dried liver, then an alternative is to use Alnutrin with Eggshell Powder (which is a supplement), and the freeze dried liver. Just use that instead of Call of the Wild.  You would just need to make sure you use enough freeze dried liver with this alternative to equal 5 - 10 % of his overall food intake, rather than just as a topper.. 

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another alternative is to use eggshell powder and freeze-dried liver INSTEAD OF Call of the Wild. Here are the two threads talking about how much to use of each.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263426/...hydroxyapatite-to-balance-meat-or-meat-organs
For eggshell, 1/32 teaspoon of powder balances one ounce of meat; 3/64 teaspoon balances one ounce of organs. For batches, this means that 1/2 teaspoon balances one pound of meat and 3/4 of a teaspoon balances one pound of organs.
http://www.thecatsite.com/t/247129/feeding-dried-liver-in-place-of-fresh

catmomof6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yay on 100% raw

Yes, Call of the Wild has everything in it that Gage needs, therefore by using eggshell powder and freeze dried liver too, he might be getting too much calcium and possibly too much Vit A (probably you're ok on the Vit A.if you're just using the freeze dried liver as a topper).  So...what I would do is simply cut back on the amount of each of the other two a little (if you haven't already).  But if he likes the taste of eggshell powder and freeze dried liver, then an alternative is to use Alnutrin with Eggshell Powder (which is a supplement), and the freeze dried liver. Just use that instead of Call of the Wild.  You would just need to make sure you use enough freeze dried liver with this alternative to equal 5 - 10 % of his overall food intake, rather than just as a topper..
I was using Eggshell powder and Freeze dried Liver as a topper but after I read your post I decided to try just chicken and CoTW.  It worked!!  he ate it all.  He either changed his mind or he got use to CoTW from me sneaking it in the middle of the chicken.

So now everyone is on chicken (meat) and CoTW!!  I am so happy!!