Need help on how to give liquid meds

banbury

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Convenia is one of the most overprescribed medication for cats. Because it’s convenient, but to me there are two problems with long lasting injectables:
1. In case of allergic reaction you’re not able to stop administering the drug and the reaction continues and worsens, sometimes ending deadly. This reason to me is enough not to give my cats any long lasting drugs.
2. Each injection increase the risk of post injection site sarcoma. I only let my cats to be injected with anything if there’s simply no other way. Convenience is not worth their health. There are so many products on the market to help with pilling the cat that in most cases injection could be avoided, unless we’re talking about scared ferals. Of course, in most cases sarcoma will not happen, but I’d still risk it only when it’s not other way.
As someone with an antibiotic allergy, I certainly understand that. There are always appropriate and inappropriate times to use different medications and hopefully owners have a trustworthy vet to help talk them through everything. Personally I am comfortable medicating cats but not every owner is comfortable or skilled enough to do so. Continually giving too low dose of medication due to issues administering or failing to give the whole prescription can cause its own set of issues, including antibiotic resistance and making the infection more difficult to treat if it persists. I agree that it shouldn’t be given for convenience persay but it does have its uses.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Convenia is one of the most overprescribed medication for cats. Because it’s convenient, but to me there are two problems with long lasting injectables:
1. In case of allergic reaction you’re not able to stop administering the drug and the reaction continues and worsens, sometimes ending deadly. This reason to me is enough not to give my cats any long lasting drugs.
2. Each injection increase the risk of post injection site sarcoma. I only let my cats to be injected with anything if there’s simply no other way. Convenience is not worth their health. There are so many products on the market to help with pilling the cat that in most cases injection could be avoided, unless we’re talking about scared ferals. Of course, in most cases sarcoma will not happen, but I’d still risk it only when it’s not other way.
As someone with an antibiotic allergy, I certainly understand that. There are always appropriate and inappropriate times to use different medications and hopefully owners have a trustworthy vet to help talk them through everything. Personally I am comfortable medicating cats but not every owner is comfortable or skilled enough to do so. Continually giving too low dose of medication due to issues administering or failing to give the whole prescription can cause its own set of issues, including antibiotic resistance and making the infection more difficult to treat if it persists. I agree that it shouldn’t be given for convenience persay but it does have its uses.
banbury banbury ...I can definitely see the valid points you are making about antibiotic resistance, with giving too low a dose or not being able to complete the entire prescription, and therefore opting for the injectable route...but my biggest fear is exactly an adverse reaction...and one in which you can do nothing to reverse it.

(I did trust my previous Vet, and he did give my previous cat an injection of an antibiotic, after having dental extractions...but he didn't actually ask me beforehand. So I got kind of nervous, and had a few sleepless nights, until I realized that my cat was okay and did not have any strange reactions. He also gave me pain meds in pill forms, for a few days,...so perhaps he just thought that the antibiotic injection would have been more convenient, or better for my cat due to it being after dental,..so not really sure. Everything worked out well, so that was good.)

(For my lab/retriever mix dog, an ER Vet gave him a steroid injection and a anti-histamine injection, because of an allergic reaction to a bee sting.
The anti-histamine injection was way too strong, so my dog was drooling and very sleepy the next day. Happily it did wear off...but in hindsight...maybe taking the pill form of the anti-histamine would have been better.)

I suppose it all depends on your own experience, and how your animals react to meds, also.
It just sometimes feels like 'rolling the dice'...in the case of injectables...so I'm more cautious now, and not really willing to do that, if other options are available.
Options are good,...but weighing risks to benefits are very difficult. But I do appreciate your, and other member's perspectives/experiences, too. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Shes almost done it says 14 more days she goes back sat and she's been throwing up for some reason and I just cleaned her box and I just put in clean towel and she likes to drag my towel in her box help

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
No she is going back to the MSPCA tommorow I've been giving her treats for taking her meds it's not all the time I stopped giving her dry fsood i switched to wet food I guess dry food messes with a urine so I don't need anything more vet visits

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I started to mix it and stopped and then switched it so I think it could be it I'll ask

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In her litter box 😂
it may bother her that she's so close to the litter box all the time. Especially if her food is also close to the litter box. I'm guessing she's trying to cover the litter box to separate her from it.. Not much you can do about this, apart from frequent litter box cleaning, if you don't have a bigger crate I'm afraid. Just make sure her food is on the opposite side, as far as possible from the litter.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Sandwich is lost without her sister she's crying at my door to see her she literally drags socks pants shirts and leaves them at my door idk if it's ok for sandwich to see her or not I mean she's in the cage