Need help on how to give liquid meds

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
What type of injury does she have?
Why did the Vets tell you that you cannot take her out and hold her?

Giving her a little water, or soft wet food by syringe will not dilute the meds....it will only chase the taste of the meds away.
Replace the bad taste with something good.

Try the tuna or chicken water trick mentioned in post #10...to madilute sk the taste of the meds.
Should I add a little water to the wet food willit
How is she doing? Is she healing?
She's doing good

banbury

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What was the cause for the antibiotics and pain meds? Certain conditions can be treated with long-lasting injectable antibiotics, where one injection can last upwards of 2 weeks. If you're having that hard of a time medicating, it might be worth discussing with your vet.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Its
What was the cause for the antibiotics and pain meds? Certain conditions can be treated with long-lasting injectable antibiotics, where one injection can last upwards of 2 weeks. If you're having that hard of a time medicating, it might be worth discussing with your vet.
She cut herself open when I was at work and I went to the mspca she's almost done it's for 14 days I think

banbury

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its

She cut herself open when I was at work and I went to the mspca she's almost done it's for 14 days I think
Sounds like by acting fast with vet care, you probably avoided infection from setting in. If it's healing well and you're almost done with the antibiotics, I'd stay the course. But if she needs antibiotics in the future (especially for skin issues), the injectable ones might be less stressful for both of you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But if she needs antibiotics in the future (especially for skin issues), the injectable ones might be less stressful for both of you.
The injectables are good, but if you ask for them in the future, make sure they are the right kind for the infection. In Feeby's case with her UTIs the antibiotics that are typically the injectable ones are not the right type of antibiotic. The only other option for injectable antibiotics is to find out if the antibiotic your vet wants to use can be compounded into an injectable - or, perhaps a transdermal patch.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope and pray that I never have to deal with it again or the mspca oh God sandwich found the treats

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Tmi but it's their poop supposed to look like this she's eating wet and dry food together with her gabapentin in it and is it normal for them to cover their food

banbury

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The injectables are good, but if you ask for them in the future, make sure they are the right kind for the infection. In Feeby's case with her UTIs the antibiotics that are typically the injectable ones are not the right type of antibiotic. The only other option for injectable antibiotics is to find out if the antibiotic your vet wants to use can be compounded into an injectable - or, perhaps a transdermal patch.
Absolutely. But I would hope a vet wouldn't give the injectables if it wasn't right for the specific kind of infection the cat was battling. There are injectables that can be great for skin infections and I have discussed with my vet some of the off-label uses for it as well but no single antibiotic is a cure-all for every type of infection.

banbury

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tmi but it's their poop supposed to look like this she's eating wet and dry food together with her gabapentin in it and is it normal for them to cover their food
Antibiotics can sometimes mess with the "good bacteria" in the stomach too and can cause loose stool. It usually resolves after the antibiotics are over. Pro-biotics can help even out the bacteria in the stomach but I wouldn't suggest giving them without a discussion with your vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely. But I would hope a vet wouldn't give the injectables if it wasn't right for the specific kind of infection the cat was battling.
Unfortunately, a lot of vets will succumb to a cat owner's desire for injectables (vs. pills/liquids) even if they aren't the most appropriate for the specific infection. Some vets even give them in lieu of finding what specific bacteria has caused the infection. It's seem crazy, but I have read numerous accounts of this happening on this site alone.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It depends, sometimes a cat will do this but it's not necessarily an indication of anything good, or bad. Did she do this before she got hurt?
Cover their food - or, their poop? Either way, Furballsmom Furballsmom 's question applies...

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Her cage is covered over in blankets it's kinda cold I touched her fur it was cold

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. But I would hope a vet wouldn't give the injectables if it wasn't right for the specific kind of infection the cat was battling. There are injectables that can be great for skin infections and I have discussed with my vet some of the off-label uses for it as well but no single antibiotic is a cure-all for every type of infection.
Yeah, Convenia is one of the most overprescribed medication for cats. Because it’s convenient, but to me there are two problems with long lasting injectables:
1. In case of allergic reaction you’re not able to stop administering the drug and the reaction continues and worsens, sometimes ending deadly. This reason to me is enough not to give my cats any long lasting drugs.
2. Each injection increase the risk of post injection site sarcoma. I only let my cats to be injected with anything if there’s simply no other way. Convenience is not worth their health. There are so many products on the market to help with pilling the cat that in most cases injection could be avoided, unless we’re talking about scared ferals. Of course, in most cases sarcoma will not happen, but I’d still risk it only when it’s not other way.