Need An Opinion Please!

MizLizzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BTW, I certainly didn't mean to give any offense in mentioning flea treatment -- not at all -- but merely to point out people choose different options. It is costly, and in SOME cases, not needed. I choose not to treat my indoor cats, though one of the four does occasionally go out in harness. In twenty years of living here, we have had fleas once. It wasn't fun. But I chose to fight the fleas rather than give systemic flea insecticide to my cats routinely. I do give heartworm, reluctantly, for part of the year because where I live, it is necessary. In Canada it likely isn't, but I do not know. Just trying to be helpful to a new pet owner. There is so much to learn, and I found it daunting at first. Good luck, and deep apologies for any offense.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think my cat likes any of her dry food anymore now that she's getting used to eating wet food set as scheduled meals. :( :( :( This worries me... she won't touch any of her old dry food or even the new stuff now... only way she will eat any of it (from what I've observed) is if there's a bit of water added. But then there's always the chance of having to throw out the watered dry food if she doesn't eat it all.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think my cat likes any of her dry food anymore now that she's getting used to eating wet food set as scheduled meals. :( :( :( This worries me... she won't touch any of her old dry food or even the new stuff now... only way she will eat any of it (from what I've observed) is if there's a bit of water added. But then there's always the chance of having to throw out the watered dry food if she doesn't eat it all.
They are so finicky aren't they?! When you switched her dry did you mix it part old food part new food? If not I would suggest you do so. Switching foods can cause stomach upset. I have always been told, and have done it this way, to slowly add new dry in with the old over the course of a couple weeks little by little until all is the new dry. Same for wet. If you introduce a new protein, like if she eats chicken now and you want to try rabbit. You should mix them at first as well. One of my cats has a very sensitive tummy so i always do it that way.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are so finicky aren't they?! When you switched her dry did you mix it part old food part new food? If not I would suggest you do so. Switching foods can cause stomach upset. I have always been told, and have done it this way, to slowly add new dry in with the old over the course of a couple weeks little by little until all is the new dry. Same for wet. If you introduce a new protein, like if she eats chicken now and you want to try rabbit. You should mix them at first as well. One of my cats has a very sensitive tummy so i always do it that way.
Yes of course I mixed part of her old with the new to slowly transition her to the new stuff. I know all about switching new foods. I read it online.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 But she won't even bother to nibble on any of it. Only when it's wet will she only eat even a little tiny bit. =/

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But please don't stop the wet food. The hydration she gets from it is super important. Just keep putting out the dry, and if you don't wet it you can leave it out much longer to see if she comes around. I even add a little extra water to their wet food.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But please don't stop the wet food. The hydration she gets from it is super important. Just keep putting out the dry, and if you don't wet it you can leave it out much longer to see if she comes around. I even add a little extra water to their wet food.
Why would I stop giving her wet food? I didn't say I would. =/

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes of course I mixed part of her old with the new to slowly transition her to the new stuff. I know all about switching new foods. I read it online.
Oh good. I should have known you would do right by her :)

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why would I stop giving her wet food? I didn't say I would. =/
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that you would. Wet food is important in my opinion and I guess I just worry about everybody!!!

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that you would. Wet food is important in my opinion and I guess I just worry about everybody!!!
Sorry. I'm depressed. =/ Really worried about my cat not eating her dry food... it's frustrating. :( She did eat almost 2 full 3oz cans of wet food today though, so I guess that's the only good thing that's happened today. So what should I do to get her to eat more dry food? I always make sure I go by everyone else's recommendations regarding dry food with wet food scheduled meals, and put only 1/4 cup of dry food. :(

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry. I'm depressed. =/ Really worried about my cat not eating her dry food... it's frustrating. :( She did eat almost 2 full 3oz cans of wet food today though, so I guess that's the only good thing that's happened today. So what should I do to get her to eat more dry food? I always make sure I go by everyone else's recommendations regarding dry food with wet food scheduled meals, and put only 1/4 cup of dry food. :(
No apologies. I know how it is to worry about them. I always say mine will be the death of me! But it sounds like she is getting a good amount of wet so I wouldn't worry. I think 1/4 cup of dry is reasonable and just keep putting it down for her. But cats are unpredictable so I don't know that there is anything you can do to get her back to her dry. Just give her time.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No apologies. I know how it is to worry about them. I always say mine will be the death of me! But it sounds like she is getting a good amount of wet so I wouldn't worry. I think 1/4 cup of dry is reasonable and just keep putting it down for her. But cats are unpredictable so I don't know that there is anything you can do to get her back to her dry. Just give her time.
Thank you for your help. I really do appreciate it; we both appreciate it. :( I just have a lot on my mind, and I really care about my cat. Can you believe that it'll be exactly 2 weeks tomorrow since I've adopted her from the local cat shelter? Time sure flies, huh?

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 I was just in petting her and it seemed like everything was fine. I kept rubbing her belly and back, and then she suddenly got grouchy and nearly clawed me.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help. I really do appreciate it; we both appreciate it. :( I just have a lot on my mind, and I really care about my cat. Can you believe that it'll be exactly 2 weeks tomorrow since I've adopted her from the local cat shelter? Time sure flies, huh?
I will help any way I can. I wish more people cared about their animals like you do.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 I was just in petting her and it seemed like everything was fine. I kept rubbing her belly and back, and then she suddenly got grouchy and nearly clawed me.
Sometimes they are just grouchy. Don't take it personal :) I think she is just settling in.