Name Three things - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
He was out for a morning bike ride, woman driving made a turn, he - I think - braked hard and fell over. She said she didn't see him, burst into tears. And left.
That was a hit and run!!! So sorry

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
C catapault And she left?! Seriously?! WTH! I'm glad he's OK overall and I hope the bike will be OK, too.

Finished most of the beets yesterday; I still have a row in one of the raised beds. That row didn't do very well, so I'm hoping I get a few anyway. Pulled the first bed of onions; they're on the picnic table under the maple tree, getting ready for me to prep for the freezer. Probably tomorrow, I'm thinking. We are not to get any rain until Thursday (maybe), so it was a good time to pull.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am back here with my coffee.
  • Change bed sheets and throw the dirty ones in the washer.
  • Try to talk Dear Richard into helping me clip claws and check ears.
  • We're meeting my brother and SIL for a late lunch/early dinner. Time to talk about that trip to Maine this fall. My sister and BIL will take care of the fur-girls for us.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I picked up a big tote full of free acorns. I freeze them and feed them to the squirrels in winter. But before I can freeze them I need to pick them out of the sticks, twigs and cut grass they came in, float them in water to pick out the bad ones and then dry them. I did a few quarts worth and it was such slow going that I stopped and built an acorn sorter. It lets the acorns roll through but not the leaves and grass. Way, way faster.

I was able to get about a third of the tote sorted, floated and now drying. In the end I am betting about 25-30 pounds worth of acorns for the freezer.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 Nice!

Dear Richard lost one of my paring knives. He says he didn't actually lose it; it's up in the garden. Somewhere. He was cutting squash, put the knife down and....gone. It's probably lying up there next to my trowel that he lost back in the spring.

We have the basics worked out for our trip to Maine this fall. Rick and my SIL are going to do the motel/B & B thing and get the reservations done. I'm doing the driving. Hitting Ogunquit first, then up into Bar Harbor and the surrounding area for a few days, Acadia, then back down into Mystic, CT before heading for home again. Rick and I wanted to hit Mount Washington COG in New Hampshire, but we're going to save that for another time, when it's just the two of us. Got the dates set, my sister is taking care of the girls. We're ready.
  • He got up with the girls this morning, so Molli, Tabby, and I lounged until a little after 8:00. Usually, it's just Molli and I, but the other day, I felt a furry body next to me kneading the blankets. Thinking it was Molli, I reached down, started touching her and it was Tabs. As soon as she started purring, I could tell it wasn't Molli. And this morning, she was there again. Tabby is not a lap kitty, but she does like attention on her terms. Molli usually hangs out on her pillow and that's where she was this morning, half on her pillow with her head and front paws at my head.
  • We're heading up to the store to get a couple paring knives. They're Rada knives and I really like them. Not expensive, so when they do get lost or accidentally thrown away, they're easy to replace. And they're easy to sharpen. I like to wander around in that store, check the kitchen gadgets, peruse the cake pan aisle, all that good stuff. Because you never know what you might need.
  • Onions. I probably have enough FoodSaver bags yet to seal a large cookie sheet of onions and get them in the freezer. Clean them, dice them, flash-freeze, then bag up and toss in a box in the freezer.

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Know anybody with a metal detector? Should work for both knife and trowel.

Today I was sitting at the computer ordering kitty litter from Chewys. Idly scratching my scalp and . . . yikes! a tick! They do seem to really like me. At least it was a dog tick and I was able to remove it.

Last fall I brought in several pots of caladiums and put them in the basement for a winter rest. Then forgot about them. When discovered in ? late June or perhaps the beginning of July the soil was dust and the tubers . . . well, take a guess as to what they looked like. So I threw them into the compost heap.

A eureka moment - they resurrected themselves. Multiple healthy leaves appeared. So I dug them out and potted them up. Found two more yesterday and potted them up today. They are thriving and I am happy.

Also today I unloaded the dishwasher which was run last night. Washed and dried a load of jeans and towels. Will fold and put away later today.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Spent another good part of the day working on acorns. So far 17 pounds in the freezer and I am sure another ten or more tomorrow. After they soak I have to spread them out to dry and I can’t leave them outdoors, so I have my drying tray in the trunk area of my hatchback car and am letting the heat and sun work their drying magic. They roll around a bit while I am driving which helps them all dry evenly.

This afternoon I stopped at the bird store and Grocery store. Found a I phone in the parking lot and returned It to its owner.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spent another good part of the day working on acorns. So far 17 pounds in the freezer and I am sure another ten or more tomorrow. After they soak I have to spread them out to dry and I can’t leave them outdoors, so I have my drying tray in the trunk area of my hatchback car and am letting the heat and sun work their drying magic. They roll around a bit while I am driving which helps them all dry evenly.

This afternoon I stopped at the bird store and Grocery store. Found a I phone in the parking lot and returned It to its owner.
Wow those squirrels have to just love you.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Got my new paring knives and also found freestone peaches. Mowed the yard last night. It was such a pretty evening, coolish and low humidity. Nice.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am drinking my coffee
  • A kitchen day. I'm doing peach pies this morning and then will start in on onions this afternoon. Thought I'd do one two-crust pie and two peach streusel pies. And a peach cobbler with whatever peaches are left.
  • Do a bit of weeding in the garden. I want to tear the pea plants out tonight, too. I'm not really much of a gardener; Rick has the gardening green thumb. But with him working in the house, I can't let the garden go.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Started a batch of yogurt in the Instapot.
Load of laundry swishing around in the machine.
This afternoon I am going to get a haircut. No idea how much will be removed - had one very minor trim a few months ago but no cut since before covid. It will be a matter of discussion before the scissors start snipping.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester posted about her Pyrex set and got me thinking about a thrift store that I visit that seems to have Pyrex on a regular basis. I stopped in this morning and found an early Amish Butterprint pattern large bowl, great condition, that was marked $1.99. I am going to list it on Facebook today and see if I can find a buyer.

Errands and shopping done early because of the wretched heat and humidity. I have feeders to wash and rehang, and the last of the acorns to bag but after that will literally chill indoors the rest of the day

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault Nice hair style! How does it feel? A lot lighter, I'm sure. Oh, and we do have a friend with a metal detector. (We had him come down to find a property stake that our "lovely" neighbor had pounded into the ground, not for the first time. Rick dug the property stake up again and tied a big orange tie on the thing.) If Rick can't find the trowel and knife, we'll call John to come in.

susanm9006 susanm9006 You might want to check eBay before you list it on FB. I just saw one for $70, so you might get more for the bowl there. The older Pyrex is worth a small fortune. Our thrift stores have ridiculous prices. Sometimes, the item is more costly at the thrift store than it was new! My friend, Bob, usually finds some good deals at the thrift store in his town; they have one day a week where items are half-price, so he'll go in early, check out the stuff, and if there's something he wants, he'll make a mental list of the things and then come back on half-price day. Most of the time, the stuff is still there.
  • The first of two loads of laundry is in the washer.
  • We are to get rain tomorrow, so I'm going out to the picnic table this morning to pick up the remaining onions and get them into the freezer. (I still have another raised bed of onions that must be pulled at some point.) And then check on the peppers.
  • Vacuum and swiffer, although I may wait a day yet. Rick is still putting floor moulding in the living room and back the hallway. I knew this project would take a while, but I never thought it would take this long. Rick works at his own pace, which can be maddening sometimes.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 You might want to check eBay before you list it on FB. I just saw one for $70, so you might get more for the bowl there. The older Pyrex is worth a small fortune. Our thrift stores have ridiculous prices. Sometimes, the item is more costly at the thrift store than it was new! My friend, Bob, usually finds some good deals at the thrift store in his town; they have one day a week where items are half-price, so he'll go in early, check out the stuff, and if there's something he wants, he'll make a mental list of the things and then come back on half-price day. Most of the time, the stuff is still there.
I did think about listing the bowl on EBay but shipping breakables gives me anxiety. I will do it though if it doesnt sell on Facebook.

Finished the acorns this morning - a whopping 36 pounds bagged and frozen. Not sure the plan for the day. I have started moving summer decor to storage and pulling out the fall. I know I am rushing it but I havent seen my new bookcase with fall thing in them and am anxious to see what they look like.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I did think about listing the bowl on EBay but shipping breakables gives me anxiety. I will do it though if it doesnt sell on Facebook.
susanm9006 susanm9006 Several years ago, I bought a vintage Three Mountaineers (circa 1970) spice cabinet on eBay. He specified that the shipping was free. Well, the spice cabinet came with 30 pretty spice jars. He wrapped each spice jar in bubble wrap, wrapped the cabinet itself in bubble wrap and then used more bubble wrap as space insulation in the box. The box was huge and the shipping was a little on the expensive side. He did ship it out to me, but sent me an email, asking if I'd pay for half the shipping. Once it got to me and I saw how it was wrapped, I agreed, although I could have told him to pound sand. But honestly, that thing would have made it through an earthquake and I just paid it. I use it and love that thing. (I already had one that my mother got me with S & H green stamps back during that time....remember those stamps? and that's on the wall, too.)

The onions from the first bed are done now. I have the last of them in the dehydrator and will grind them into onion powder. We are supposed to get rain early afternoon; we could use a bit of rain. The corn needs it.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am back here with my coffee.
  • One load of laundry is in the washer. It's kitty linens: their pillow cases, blankies, Muffin's stroller blankies, all that good stuff. I can always tell when things need washed; Muffin won't get in her stroller. I think Molli gets in there and puts her "stink" all over everything. And then Muffin says, "Nope, No, Nada. Mom! My stuff needs washed!" It gets washed about every two weeks.
  • Head up to the garden to check on the peppers and to go into the pole bean jungle to check for beans. There are some yellow tomatoes up there, too. Whatever I can find will go into the freezer. Our neighbor asked for tomatoes yesterday; I told her that all we have right now are the yellow ones and she said that was fine. Rick took a peach pie over to them, along with a few onions the other day and, when I was out at the picnic table yesterday morning, she heard me and came over to thank me for the pie. She took a few more onions and a couple yellow squash. Produce prices at the grocery store are just ridiculous, even now at the peak of the season. If we can help them out a bit, we do.
  • Hit Target for meds for Rick and me.
And I think that will be my day.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Several years ago, I bought a vintage Three Mountaineers (circa 1970) spice cabinet on eBay. He specified that the shipping was free. Well, the spice cabinet came with 30 pretty spice jars. He wrapped each spice jar in bubble wrap, wrapped the cabinet itself in bubble wrap and then used more bubble wrap as space insulation in the box. The box was huge and the shipping was a little on the expensive side. He did ship it out to me, but sent me an email, asking if I'd pay for half the shipping. Once it got to me and I saw how it was wrapped, I agreed, although I could have told him to pound sand. But honestly, that thing would have made it through an earthquake and I just paid it. I use it and love that thing. (I already had one that my mother got me with S & H green stamps back during that time....remember those stamps? and that's on the wall, too.)
that sounds amazing!!!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yard work this morning before it heats up, cleaning water bowls, filling feeders, sweeping up shells. Then a quick trip to Joann’s where I found the perfect fall throw. A couple more errands and then this afternoon vacuuming and changing some bulbs.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault How is your son doing?

I have a free day! A day where I only have to do a few minor things and then I'm free! Rick went to a public sale (looking for the ever-elusive rototiller). He'll get back home long enough to grab a shower, change his clothes, and then he, my BIL, and a friend are going out to dinner, and then to a Pat Benatar concert tonight. I didn't want to go. I want some time to myself. Those days don't come very often and the last time I had a day to myself, my head exploded and I ended up in bed.

Rick did the litter boxes before he left this morning. It's MY day and he didn't want me to do them.

The stereo is already blasting. I connected my iPod and boom!
  • My onions are ready to be ground for onion powder.
  • I need to take some produce scraps up to the composter.
  • ???

Status
Not open for further replies.