Name Three things - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
strider rose strider rose Glad you got moved OK and that the cats seem to be doing well.

My sister and BIL are home from their vacation. We don't have to care for their clan now for a while.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am back here with my coffee
  • Vacuum, swiffer, clean kitchen and bathroom
  • Sweep the Deck and put the rug back down. I have had the rug in the Shed because of the rain last week. I think I can put some of the Shed plants out on the Deck today.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The only thing that I got done yesterday was sweeping the Deck and bringing the cacti and rug outside. I made the mistake of going up to the garden and picking a ton of peas and strawberries. Spent the afternoon shelling, blanching and freezing peas. Gave some peas and berries to our neighbors and we had the rest of the berries for dessert. We probably have enough pea pods for one more picking later on this week and that will be it. We ended up (so far) with nine Food Saver bags of peas with about 1-1/4 cups, enough for one meal, in each bag. Rick is thinking about tearing out the plants around the middle of July, feeding and composting the soil, and trying for another round of peas for this fall. We still have seeds left. Next year, we'll plant them in a different raised bed.

So today....
  • Vacuum, swiffer, clean kitchen and bathroom (didn't get it done yesterday)
  • Work on a Trader Joe's list; going for a late lunch and then to TJ's later on this week with my brother and SIL.
  • Trash night tonight

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Molli and Muffin went at it around 6:30 this morning. Basically, Molli was watching Muffin and Muffin didn't like it and had to start yelling at her. Drama queens, both of them. Meanwhile, when I opened my eyes, there were two green eyes staring at me with a lot of purring from Miss Tabby. I know when I've lost; I got up, got dressed, and the girls had their breakfast.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am back here with my coffee.
  • We are to get rain and t-storms tomorrow and through the remainder of the week, so I need to put the rug and my cacti back into the Shed this afternoon. Of course, if I do that, then we won't get the rain. :sigh:
  • Give Clarence a bath.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
went to the post office to get my apartment mailbox key
mailed out 1 box of cat toys and a handful of letters
treated myself to some taco bell and came home

talk to mamanyt1953 when she gets up

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We did the last of the peas last night. Rick was up in the garden while I was making dinner and told me we needed to grab peas. Got two more freezer saver bags, for a total of 11 bags, each with about 1-1/4 cups of peas. We can't complain about that, esp with the lack of rain. That's it for peas for the season.

My brother and SIL are coming up this afternoon. after he gets off work. They want to go to TJ's for a few things and, while we're out there, we're checking out a new-to-us restaurant. They make their own root beer and birch beer. Rick loves birch beer, so that's on his list to try.

And that's pretty much our day. Nothing really planned.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Himself requested that since I was going to Wal-Mart that was nearLowe's could I not stop in and get a 3-pack of string trimmer spools. Of course, why not.

Shopping always takes longer than it should. Have to be an educated, mathematically minded consumer. Turned out it was cheaper to buy three smaller packages of laundry pods than one large pack with equivalent number. Annoying, as I expect there's more packaging. But perhaps not extravagantly so.

Strangely cool weather. Last time it was this cool in Philadelphia Pennsylvania on the summer solstice was back in 1879.

Still tussling with my computer to write the entries for Saturday's Design For Nature garden visits. Takes multiple 15 minute segments (all the time I usually have before the computer monitor begins to shadow.) Then it all looks good on the Arachnophilia browser. I upload. And there will be at least one error when I open it online. Oh well.

Two done. Two to go. And one garden that really didn't have much so not sure what I can write about it. I did discover that it is very helpful to edit the images on the "good" computer, load on a card, transfer to the other computer. But that apparently doesn't work with text. Oh well.

Can imagine what the scribes used to say about the quality of their quill pens. Did you know that pens from the left wing of the goose were considered inferior to those from the right wing? That's so. Because the way the quill angles, if you are right handed the left wing quill bops you in the nose because of how it angles.

There you go - today's useless fact.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Nothing much going on.
I hit the couch on Friday and pretty much stayed there. It rained all day and I spent the day with my nose in my Kindle.
When I dragged my sorry butt out of bed this morning, the sun was shining. It's already cloudy with more rain on the way. We will continue with this weather until around the end of next week.
  • I need to scoop boxes.
  • One load of laundry is in the washer.
  • Hit the Shed for a while this afternoon.
And, as far as I can see, that's pretty much it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Molli threw up 3 times this morning, once in the living room and twice in the bedroom. Bleah. Man, I hate cleaning cat puke. You know how Garfield eats lasagna? Well, that's how Molli eats everything. Gulp! and it's gone. And every once in a while, she'll bring it back up. Not a pretty sight. There's no excuse; nobody would dare to even think about taking her food. She's the princess of the clan. Yet she inhales her meals.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, cleaned 3 piles of puke, and am back here with my coffee.
  • I must scoop at some point.
  • And then hit the Shed for a while, while Dear Richard watches golf.
I found a set of rugs that we both like for the living room and for the hallway. And a light for the foyer. Things are starting to come together. We're STILL waiting on word about a dumpster! Man, everybody must be working on home projects this summer.
We have the old metal railings along the stairs down to the front door and, we cannot afford to put new railings in this year, not after what we've spent on AC and the new floor. So since I'm getting a black chandelier for the foyer, Rick is going to clean the railings and paint them black. Yeah, it's not the perfect thing to do, but it will work for a year. Next year, we plan on new furniture for the living room and, at that point, we'll install nicer railings. We save money as we go each month, so we don't go into debt for house projects. It takes longer that way, but it's OK.

He took the carpet off the bottom steps and we think we can get away with a good sanding and cleaning and then staining and finishing the steps. There are some corners where Hydrox and then Amber peed, but he thinks it will be OK.

OnyxTen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got all 3 from yesterday done. Along with visiting Mom in Assisted Living til Noon

1. Appointment for garage door
2. Professional Cleaner coming to clean basement to prepare for interior decorator
3. Call about damaged garage roof and gutters.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rainy days make for lazy days. We're still in that humid/t-storm pattern until Thursday. We had some very nasty weather go by to the west of us last night. It was actually pretty scary as the local weather-weenies were calling for the possibility of silver-dollar-size hail. That could have been ugly. Thankfully, we got the rain and wind, but that was it. It's so humid that I swear you could squeeze moisture out of the sky with your hands. Our low last night/this morning was in the low 70s. With the humidity, it was unreal. Rick did manage to get the grass mowed, while I vacuumed and cleaned in the house. I was out in the Shed last night for a while; when one of the storms moved in, it didn't take me long to get my butt to the house.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am back here with my coffee. The first load of laundry is in the washer.
  • Change bed sheets and throw them in the washer.
  • Trash night tonight. I want to clean out the fridge. There's not really much in it, but I like to take everything out, wipe the fridge down, then put it all back in again.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The trash disposal company brought our dumpster this morning. Rick has the hallway, both stairs and half the living room carpet out. It's basically a matter of getting all the stuff off the stand where my stereo equipment is and moving the couch. I haven't had to disconnect my stereo in years and I'm not sure I'd know to re-connect it all! Rick says that, while the dumpster is here, he wants me to go into the basement and BE RUTHLESS! I have to admit that I hung my head and whimpered. Loudly.
I ordered the throw rugs last night and they'll be here around the end of June. I was going to wait, but they were on sale and I had a coupon code and I got free shipping. We're just going to put them in the Shed until the living room is ready.
  • While Rick is out for his walk, I'll disconnect the stereo and move everything to the kitchen table for now.
  • Making a pot of pasta sauce for the freezer. We'll enjoy spaghetti tonight and freeze the rest of the sauce.
  • I need to do a half recipe for pickled jalapenos (King Arthur recipe for Jalapeno Cheddar Bread calls for a loaf of bread and eight yeast rolls. I'm just going to do the bread for now as I didn't get many jalapenos from the garden this time around.) Jalapeño-Cheddar Bread While I'm working, I need to roast my poblano pepper for chili tomorrow.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
  • I'm tired this morning. We went to Lowes for saw blades, new door knobs, drill bits, and such. The doors for the hall closet and the computer room will be delivered next week as well as the floorboards. Went out for breakfast, then hit Giant for milk and creamer and came back home. When we got home, the new rugs had been delivered.
  • I'm a cooking slob. Nothing I didn't already know and I'm not proud of it. Such a messy cook and I really do try to be clean when I'm cooking. It's useless. I finally got around to buying two Gap Erasers to be placed between the stove and the countertops on both sides. Rick will pull the stove out from the wall, I'm going to give those sides of the stove a good cleaning, then he'll put the stove back. And then I'll put those strips in. It doesn't look the best, but I can always pull them off when we get company, if it bothers me that much.
  • The kids are bringing my KA pizza flour up tomorrow. The flour cost me a double batch of chocolate crinkles, so I made the batter this morning and will bake them tonight. I'll save a dozen for us, but the rest will go to the Grands.
  • I'm going through bureau drawers this afternoon. Our recycling event is next weekend and I want to get things in order to take in. It's completely free this time around, even to get rid of electronics and such. There's an old computer in the basement; I'll remove and kill the hard drive.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We haven't seen the mountain in the background across the road from us in two days because of the air quality. Thursday, we were in the 200s; yesterday, we went down to the mid-170s. This morning, down to 135.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and sitting back here with a glass of iced tea. I can't stomach coffee this morning.
  • Taking some jalapeno cheddar bread, lightly spread with butter, to Rick's mom this morning. She called me yesterday and we chatted for quite a while. When she found out I made the bread, she wanted to try it. She always says, "Just a little slice with just a little bit of butter." We'll visit for a while and then bring her Kindle back, so I can load it with more audiobooks. She says I'm doing a good job with her books. Good! She enjoys good mysteries, cozy mysteries, and stories about the Amish. She loves, loves, loves Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series, but has read/listened to all of them now.
  • Continue working on bureau drawers and then starting in on my closet.
  • Hit the Shed to water plants, vacuum, swiffer, etc.
  • The other day when I was in the garden, I noticed little squashes growing. I really need to get up there and check on the size of those things; the buggers can go from baby to baseball bat in no time!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on Cephalexin for a rash from a tiny retained piece of a tick. Started taking it yesterday and feel so tired today. Doing my best to charge ahead. Today I want to

Mix potting soil and pot the last few cannas which are currently happily growing in the crate with trash bag liner of peat moss, now with standing water from the rain. Good thing cannas are fine with wet feet.

Continue tidying up anonymous boxes in my study. Later in July our daughter, son-in-law and an adult granddaughter are coming for a few days. From Texas. Himself's sister who was just here for the old time base ball game and my brother will come for a day. Granddaughter will be sleeping in my study so while I can live with it as it is this is the impetus to tidy before she comes. Thinking about meals - our daughter is gluten intolerant and also cannot eat seafood or pork, sister-in-law has issues with cilantro.

And this afternoon I think I'll take a nap.

OnyxTen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With a whining kitten and yelping puppy it's hard to concentrate. Top that off with a back I threw out. But:

1. try to assemble this dog crate I got
2. try to train the puppy
3. Do some work around the house

Status
Not open for further replies.