Name Three Things - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester OMG!! That is horrible.. and to deny it!! that is the worst. The remark, "it's an pod car" is to even worthy of a comment!

I suppose if, you really wanted to, you could go to small claims court for the price of a rental, while it is being repaired, and the pain and suffering the loss of it during that period---ok, that is a stretch...

Poor Clarence..... I would make sure your mechanic takes a good once over of Clarence; to make sure there is nothing else hidden... absolutely ridiculous...

Since it is caught on tape, and your mechanic pursued the issue...and the guy paid, I would not pursue it... BUT if the cost is more than the $2100 I would go after him... even call you insurance company..

No wonder you had a nightmare.. after the day you had!

I still have many dreams of my last job. It was a job from he@@.... I stopped working completely in 2014... I had a career ending work injury in there, also.. and was treated horribly while trying to rehab from it...

I still have dreams--nighmares about that place. It took me a long time to feel comfortable walking the same halls of that hospital--for other doctors appointments... Now, I really do not care about walking through it.. not at all... but the memories are still there--in my dreams..
I would be leery that the fellows check was any good. I definitely would notify your insurance company.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The garage got the check from the company the guy worked for. It's good. Evidently, the guy was bringing a car in on the Jerr-dan (spelling?) and when he left, he hit my car. He said he didn't know he had hit the Cruiser. Fortunately, the cameras caught it. And I don't need a rental as we have the Tucson and Rick's truck. I do trust this garage; Clarence was there for his new engine and for a new clutch several years ago. It's just very frustrating. I want him home. He's been gone a while and even the neighbors have noticed. One neighbor asked Rick if we had gotten rid of him. :sigh: And yeah, he's old. But he's still Clarence.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee.
  • I must bake the white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies. I got the batter out of the fridge when I got up.
  • Poach two large chicken breasts and then shred. I'm making Buffalo Chicken Dip tomorrow and I hate canned chicken. I could have gotten a rotisserie chicken from the store, I guess, but didn't think about it at the time. I'm also making a focaccia this morning.
  • A quick vacuum and swiffer. Nothing major.
Bob is coming tomorrow to watch Evil with me. He is the Snacking King; he loves to nosh while he's binging. So I have garlic baloney, baby Swiss cheese, veggies (sliced celery, peppers, and baby carrots), crackers, pretzels, miniature chocolate bars, and M & Ms with peanuts (OK, those he will touch over my dead body! Kidding! I think....) I'm making Buffalo Chicken Dip for the crackers, the focaccia and veggies. I have Smirnoff Ice and several kinds of soda. And if that's not enough, Rick said we can call for pizza later on in the afternoon. A friend who used to work in the same building, but who has also retired, found out that Bob was coming over tomorrow and she wants to come in, too. She's bringing her husband, so Rick will come out to the WeShed to visit as well. He's not an Evil fan at all, so I think my friend's husband will end up going into the house with Rick while we binge.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been almost a week since I last reported. I've only had time to insert praises to, I hope, all your contributions! Nothing very important has happened in the meantime though I have been tested for and have ordered 2 new hearing aids. My present aids are now more than 6 years old and I am entitled to a subsidy from my health insurance towards new ones. I'm hoping for a WOW-effect when I get them! I have been diligently buying tulips in bud every week when I go shopping and I'm still enjoying seeing them bloom.

Three things for today:
  1. an extra morning at work at the surgery. Last week it was closed, but that doesn't mean that office work can simply stop. Reports from hospitals and laboratories, death certificates, corona-positives, reports on emergencies experienced by "our" patients, and information from other surgeries which patients visited while ours was closed, pile up unattended. It doesn't bother me - I am only paid for the hours I work and if I have to do a few extry hours, it's no problem.
  2. hair appointment - just a tidy up of my rather short hair and eyebrow sugaring. My hair is more grey than brown but my eyebrows are as dark as ever!
  3. Corona test which I will need to produce tomorrow for my full-day's tuition at the hospital (hospice work). I have to prepare a salad for our lunch buffet. I'll do what I can this evening - and put it all together first thing in the morning.
So that's about it - the laundry is going to have to wait - but, as it's only me, who cares?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
  1. I watched a local program on Oregon's Death with Dignity Act. No, I'm not terminally ill. We have a friend who used the act last year, and I wanted to learn more about it. What incredible courage she had.
  2. Made enough cat food for a month.
  3. Wrote a couple of press releases for two hike series being planned this spring. The Nature Conservancy and the Bureau of Land Management work on these collaboratively (with a couple of us volunteers), but they've been on hold for the past two years. Now that mask mandates are lifted, we're getting people out on the trails! :woo:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault Only the M&Ms. No raisins. And the candy already has peanuts. I dearly love my M&Ms with peanuts.
  • Drinking my coffee and then will start on the Buffalo Chicken Dip. I'm trying to find my baby crock pot (appetizer size) to take out to the WeShed for the dip. My GF is the Buffalo Chicken Dip queen; hers is the best. She's coming in, too, so I'm hoping my dip passes muster.
And that's pretty much it. Rick said he'd take care of the scooping today. Bob's coming in between 11 and noon, whenever he gets Hemi (his cat) down for his nap. I did manage to watch the entire first season, except for the last episode. We're watching that today so he has an idea of what all happened and I can catch him up, too. We're hoping for six episodes of season 2. But I know that, once our GF gets here, we'll be chatting a lot.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Tired this morning. We watched the last episode of Season 1 and then 6 episodes of Season 2. Bob got here around noon and left at 7:00. We had a good time. Our GF didn't make it, so we really got some episodes down. He'll come in next weekend and we'll finish it off. Rick came out to see how we were doing, but he didn't hang around as he never watched the series. And doesn't want to.

I thought you might like to see my appetizer plate. I got it at the QVC Outlet store many moons ago and I think I paid $5.
With the top on, it's a cake plate.

2022APOne.jpg

But you can also use it for munchies. I had a couple kinds of crackers, some stick pretzels, the miniature chocolate bars. With the center bowl full of M&Ms with peanuts. The bowl does not come out of the plate. And I don't put it through the dishwasher.

2022APTwo.jpg

Or you can turn it upside down and put a cake on it.

2022APThree.jpg

I don't use it that often, but I do use it. It used to really come in handy when we had Game Night with friends. There's a place where the paint is smeared on it; I assume that's why it was at the Outlet store. But if I don't show it, you'd never really see it. I don't really recommend Temp-Tations, esp now because as it became more popular, the quality of the produce really went down. There are people who have casseroles that broke in the oven and created a heckuva mess. Or they have dishes that have crazed to the point where the piece is unusable. But this was back when the product wasn't bad. And for $5, well, I bought it. I thought it might come in handy....and it has. But I would never pay full price for any of it now.

So today....
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee. I'll need to scoop later on this morning.
  • Put books on Rick's mom's Kindle and take it back to her.
  • Sort laundry on the bathroom floor tonight, to do tomorrow morning.
  • Hit the WeShed to re-watch the episode of Dead Files from last night. I fell asleep just a couple minutes of it starting. Rick said he came back to bed around midnight and I was snoring away, all cuddled up with Muffin. I never did wake up until Amber started in this morning.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put in a good 8 hours yesterday cleaning the house, decorating for Spring/Easter, and doing laundry so today I'm vegging out on the couch most of the day. :lol:

Make cinnamon rolls for the family
Do last load of laundry
Make lasagna for dinner

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I unpacked and re-shelved three cartons of books. Cookbooks. Three more to do today and the bathroom will be clear of book cartons. The books are going into three bookcases Himself made almost 60 years ago, back in the day when lumberyards sold decent wood without having to sort through multiple boards to find the few you were willing to buy. Pine, with nice straight grain.

I find myself wondering just why I have so many cookbooks. Some were bought when I was traveling so they are either regional (Puerto Rico, Ireland, Kentucky) or restaurants (Chez Panisse, Cafe Beaujolais) where we ate. Several about mushroom cookery, many about preserving and pickling, fruits and vegetables.

There are multiple cartons of paperback fiction in the basement and elsewhere. Am at a loss where they could go - the 11 shelves at the very bottom of the stairs are down (very dusty they were too!), the track-and-brackets removed, holes spackled, wall painted. It is very much brighter down there. But what to do with the books . . .

Yesterday I brought a homemade propagating box up from the basement - plastic box with lid, heating cable inside. Put in greenhouse, plugged in, watered the layer of sand / peatmoss and set a dozen caladium tubers. Doesn't feel very warm. If it doesn't feel any warmer today I'll set a flat black seed starting mat under the box, plug it in and unplug the one inside the box.

The UPS for my computer has had "issues" - every few days it starts screaming. Himself goes under the table, does something, computer and weather station go black. Wait a bit, turn UPS back on. Weather station screen reappears, computer still black. Turn computer back on and start doing what I was doing again. New UPS somewhat expensive. Himself has an old one that needs a new battery, which costs half what the whole unit costs. Ordered last week, supposed to arrive next Wednesday. Got an update, it will arrive on Monday. Then yesterday, Saturday, our mail carrier brought the mail up to the house because - tah dah! - the battery was here. He'll swap the UPS over today.

Clivia in flower in greenhouse, two hippeastrum in bud, some plants are waking up, others going into dormancy. Need to tidy up and rearrange in there. Today is supposed to be cooler than yesterday, Monday and Tuesday forecast to be quite chilly. Actually normal temperatures for this time of year but it has been atypically warmer. I was even thinking of taking flannel sheets off the bed last Monday. Was very glad I had not when we snuggled under the covers last night.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't get much done yesterday - or the day before - because of work and a full day's training at the hospital, so today I was busy.
Three things:
  1. stripped the bed
  2. did the week's washing and drying. I put most of it outside on the washing line and got it almost dry. A few hours indoors and I was able to fold and put away. (Towels always go in the the dryer as I hate hard towels!)
  3. scrubbed out and refilled an XXL-cat litter box
Wasted a lot of time ..... looking at Easter decorations brought up from the basement. Put one jar of artificial twigs with a few ceramic ornaments near some cacti under a growing lamp above one of the cats' drinking fountains and some pots of grass just to see how the cats react. It's one of the few places where Woolly Bear doesn't try to clear a space by knocking everything onto the floor so that she can spread herself out. Will it be worthwhile getting out more stuff? Why are Easter ornaments so much more attractive to cats than Christmas decorations? I'll report back later.

Easter.jpg

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom So nice to see you back!! How are you?
thank you! i'm doing well now. i had a medical issue, led to diagnosis of a permanent condition that can be managed, which i'm careful to manage properly.

i'm doing well, better now that i have a permanent living situation, and the seemingly long list of things needing to be done is coming to and end. things are starting to settle into a routine for myself and my cats, and much more time and opportunities to socialize here -- which is nice!

today i pre-measured dry ingredients for the two loaves of banana bread i'll be baking tomorrow. i also met with one of my building representatives (there is a very active tenants association here), received a welcome packet of information about this community, and chatted a bit. then i picked up a package containing a handheld mixer (i felt like it was a priceless object, the handheld mixer -- so needed in my baking, and have been without one). after which, i did an hour on the treadmill in the community's fitness center. now i'm in the computer lab, then possibly the craft room for a bit -- maybe start a jigsaw puzzle there.

i'll go back home, give cats a meal, then do the (daily) treatment for my medical condition, followed by cleaning the litter boxes and take the trash to the trash chute on my floor.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I gave my dogs a bath and oh my word were they a lot dirtier than I thought. I cleaned my bathroom a little and then used the Swiffer in the kitchen and living room and oh my word the floors were so much dirtier than I thought. Having dogs after the snow melts is awful. I also threw some stuff in the washer and showered. Using a lot of water today. :running:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A seemingly endless string of small things to do. So far this morning I have

Stripped the bed. Flannel sheets are in the washer. With the chilly weather today & tomorrow it will be flannel sheets again when I get it made.

Unloaded dishwasher. Which also had four stove burner grates in there. Yesterday's tempura is delicious but does spatter oil all over the stove. First of the two pans that go under the grates was washed this morning, will do the second one soon. Each pan goes under two burners so no, they don't fit in dishwasher. I have mentioned this to Wolf as something to address in a re-design.

Made a fire in the wood burning stove.

Still to do today:

More laundry. Remake bed. Unpack last carton of books in bathroom and tidy up bits and bobs piled hither and thither in bathroom, living room, lower landing bookshelves.

Go to local IGA for orange juice, bananas, and other items. We're out of shrimp after last night's dinner. I get frozen shrimp at Costco. But since I only cook shrimp on the weekend so tail shells don't stay in the garbage long enough to stink up the garage (trash pickup is early on Tuesday morning so can goes down on Monday afternoon) that can wait until maybe Thursday.

And bake some chocolate chip cookies.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I am waiting for a call from the siding company to find out when they will be out to put back the soffit that was torn off by the weekend‘s winds. Did get floors washed and did a thorough vacuuming in Lola’s room while I wait.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The wind is howling, there's snow on the back deck. Still flurrying. It's just darn nasty today. Seriously? It's the end of March, for cryin' out loud.
  • Slept in this morning, as did Dear Richard after he gave the girls breakfast. Rick told me about the Oscars last night while we enjoyed our coffee. I never watch any awards shows. He wanted to see how CODA would do; he thought the movie was excellent.
  • Ordered a plant light for the veggie seeds....should be here tomorrow. Burpee says our onion sets should be shipped soon.
  • Rick took the Kindle up to his mom; he's not staying because she doesn't have her hearing aids and he's not up for a shouting match. I didn't go along. I'm going to vacuum the living room and kitchen while he's gone.
  • Starting the second season of Picard tonight.
I don't think I'm going to do much, if anything, for Easter/spring decor. There's too much other stuff going on right now and, well, I just don't feel like it.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The day is going downhill.

Went to the IGA. Cell phone alarm goes off while I'm in the store to alert me to snow squalls until 1:00 p.m. Forgot orange juice. Check out, go to car - door won't unlock. Take fob out of my purse (it lives in there) and try again. Nope. Call Himself. He comes to get me with the spare, "valet", key fob. Door unlocks, car starts, we go home in tandem through the snow squall.

Battery in fob still good, changed only in November 2020. When you open the back of the fob to get to the battery there is a key. So at least I could have opened the door but don't know if there is an ignition lock on the dash.

When I said I didn't remember about a key inside the fob, did Himself know about it - his response was "It's not my car." Snark, anyone? But he did come to get me through the snow squall.

Glad I did not go to Costco. That would have been about 15 miles away rather than 4 miles to the IGA.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning:
  1. Unpacked 2 large boxes of cat food which arrived last Friday but I'd not had time to sort out. Put the cat food in the basement and discarded all the packaging. As usual at this time of year, I also bought three of the very popular Easter boxes for cats (one for my cats, one for my daughter's cat and one one for her stepson's cat). They contain samples of wet and dry cat food, cat snacks and one or 2 cat toys. It's cheaper than buying the items separately and perhaps there will be something which my fussy cats will just love! If not, the ferals are not so choosy!
  2. Tidied the kitchen, put the dishwasher on
  3. Vacuumed the living room
Afternoon:
  1. Went to work and almost managed to clear my in-tray. I may have to go back for an hour or two later in the week.
  2. A patient decided not to have his COVID shot so I got my fourth! Well, my booster was way back in October, I am nearer to my 80th birthday than my 70th, so I am entitled to it. No reaction ...... yet!
  3. Heard from my partner's nephew who wrote that his sister (a medical doctor) is going to identify herself legally in order to get information from the hospital about her uncle. Still not sure whose side they are on - his or their own (as benefactors since he's never made a will). I would sit back and relax if I were 100 % sure that they are not trying to get him back into my house - obviously the cheapest solution as far as they are concerned! HELP! I may be looking for a house to rent for me and my 4 cats! No, I'm talking rubbish - they will take him back to the area where he grew up and find a nice carehome for him and his younger brother and invite them both to afternoon tea on Sundays! 😼
Tomorrow, I have to apply for an extended certificate of good conduct from the local police department so that I can visit families with children when doing voluntary work with the hospice movement. While in town I will look for some artificial twigs (or some real willow or flowering cherry branches) so that I can hang up some Easter decorations for the cats to play with! I don't usually bother with Easter but, at the moment, I have time on my hands!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The wind is howling, there's snow on the back deck. Still flurrying. It's just darn nasty today. Seriously? It's the end of March, for cryin' out loud.
  • Slept in this morning, as did Dear Richard after he gave the girls breakfast. Rick told me about the Oscars last night while we enjoyed our coffee. I never watch any awards shows. He wanted to see how CODA would do; he thought the movie was excellent.
  • Ordered a plant light for the veggie seeds....should be here tomorrow. Burpee says our onion sets should be shipped soon.
  • Rick took the Kindle up to his mom; he's not staying because she doesn't have her hearing aids and he's not up for a shouting match. I didn't go along. I'm going to vacuum the living room and kitchen while he's gone.
  • Starting the second season of Picard tonight.
I don't think I'm going to do much, if anything, for Easter/spring decor. There's too much other stuff going on right now and, well, I just don't feel like it.
Yesterday afternoon, I watched CODA. I agree with Rick. It WAS Excellent. Such a good movie.. just a good story.
I also watched Belfast. It was good, but intense... CODA was much better. I was happy to hear that it won.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
today i baked a loaf of bread machine bread, baked two loaves of banana bread (will freeze one loaf), made a couple phone calls. then went to meet someone at the fitness center, where i did the treadmill. now i'm in the community's computer room, to be followed by continuing the jigsaw puzzle i started yesterday.

then back home, scoop and wipe down litter boxes, take out the trash.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Saw our first turtle of the season on our walk this morning.
“Here I am, just hangin’ with my mallard friend.”
B96B57DE-4FB6-446F-B802-D4F4E6629206.jpeg
Then off I went to the doctor, a follow up on my heart monitor and sleep study, both of which turned out to be (mostly) fine. So good.

And to celebrate, I came home and made chocolate shortbread cookies with a hint of coffee. :yummy:

I was going to try to get some cleaning done this afternoon, but my brother called and talked forEVER. My end of the conversation was mainly, “Uh huh. Uh huh. Huh. Yeah. Uh huh.” :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.