Name Three Things - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wrap them in foil and throw them in the oven.
Can you please ask Rick how long he puts them in the oven in foil to warm up, and what temp? Can I use toaster oven? Thanks.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
M maggiedemi 300 degrees and NO LONGER than about 5 minutes. You just want to take the chill off; you don't want to re-bake them. And yeah, the toaster oven would be fine. (Rick also informed me that, when he's in a hurry, he has been known to use the microwave....no more than 30 seconds on High. And honestly, I didn't know that!

Got up with the girls at 5:30. The flakes were just starting to fly. at 6:15, it's already white outside. 1-3 inches is forecasted for us. We did hit the grocery store yesterday. Got back home, just in time for Rick to get a text from CVS/Target; his meds are ready. Crap. It can wait until Thursday.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee.
  • Put butter in the microwave to soften; making the sticky buns today. (The picture I posted yesterday was from a few months ago, just to give M maggiedemi an idea of what mine looked like.) I was going to wait until tomorrow, since we won't get up to give any to Rick's mom til then, but Rick looked so dejected (on purpose, I'm sure!) that I'm making them today. I'll make enough for Rick's mom, my sister and BIL, our neighbors, and us.
  • Scoop boxes
  • I need to re-organize our plastics cabinet. Honestly, that cabinet is always, always a mess. I get it all straightened-out and it gets discombobulated again. I swear it's a weekly thing.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Today:
Nothing much...
*Regular morning stuff
* semi-watch the funeral this morning, on TV: at 11am
* Must wash floor... not sure if I am going to use the Swiffer Wet or some vinegar and water, with a touch of soap added.
Will probably take the easy way out and use the Swiffer..
*this afternoon is the Art Appreciation Class, at 1:30pm

Winchester Winchester , we ate getting the same storm this afternoon and tonight. Predicted to be the same 1-3 inches of snow.
The weather will warm up a bit, so it will melt by the weekend. Saturday is going to be a wild, windy, rainy day... zy
That is March for you---crazy weather

Not sure about supper. Have to see what soup they are serving.. Not liking the food this week. I think I may get a small salad, along with either a couple pieces of their marinated chicken, or just a baked chicken breast. Depends on how they look. I always have an idea, and survey the food, before I get in line..

Slept pretty good last night. I was so tired, I fell asleep watching 'Chopped" !! and slept right through.. just woke up when I was turning, due to a cat being on my feet, trapping me.

Dreary day today... sleepy day...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
300 degrees and NO LONGER than about 5 minutes. You just want to take the chill off; you don't want to re-bake them. And yeah, the toaster oven would be fine. (Rick also informed me that, when he's in a hurry, he has been known to use the microwave....no more than 30 seconds on High.
Thank you. And please thank Rick for me. I'll give them a try next Walmart pickup order.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today rain, then snow, back to rain, changing to snow . . . rinse and repeat.

Painter here to start the next round. He will - when done - have painted the upstairs balcony, then downstair foyer and hall ceiling, including kitchen ceiling, and the stairwell from top to bottom. Today he has been busy with repairs, spackling cracks etc.

Before taking down family pictures here and there I photographed everything in the hopes when they go back up they will go in proper order.

We three had a nice lunch - sweet Italian sausages, navy beans in tomato sauce, and cornmeal muffins. Have to keep Himself and worker happy, don't ya know.

Painter somewhere else tomorrow, back on Friday, maybe half day on Saturday. Then Monday, not Tuesday, here again on Wednesday. That might do it,or so I hope.

There will be an interesting summer event at the New York Botanical Garden titled A Place at the Table. It will focus on historical foodways, varieties, and more. I will, of course, go for the media preview. Here's a link to my entry which mentions it: BelleWood-Gardens - Diary

Given the hideous events in the Ukraine and sanctions on Russia I think wheat will be seriously affected. I'm going to go shop for a large bag of flour tomorrow.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault My SIL got me another 50-pound bag of KA flour; I didn't know she was getting it. The price really jacked up....again. I'm on a baking forum and they're saying they can't find certain kinds of flour in their supermarkets; evidently, that's going to be the next thing. I now have 20 5-pound bags in the freezer. You might want to do a bit of stocking up on things like baking chocolates and chips, too, while you're at it. They're talking about price increases on that, too.

Pasta has gotten ridiculous. $1.50 for a pound of regular San Giorgio pasta. Other than the store brand, that was pretty much the cheapest. Our granddaughter wants to come up for a day to bake something. I asked her if she might be interested in making noodles and pasta instead. And then make pizza for supper. Of course! We're going to try it together. And I have some KA gluten-free flour, so we could try some GF pasta for my DIL. I guess I should put my pasta maker to good use. And she seems excited about it.

We ended up with about 4 inches of snow yesterday. It's already melting in the driveway. Hopefully, til the next storm comes on Saturday, most of what we have now will have melted.

Not much going on today:
  • I put 5 audiobooks on the Kindle for Rick's mom. We'll take it up to her this afternoon, along with her sticky buns.
  • Killed Netflix. It's too expensive. We're still good until the beginning of April.
  • Hit Target for Rick's meds.
  • Check the plants in the WeShed; I was out there the other night and they were fine, but wasn't out yesterday at all.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C catapault My SIL got me another 50-pound bag of KA flour; I didn't know she was getting it. The price really jacked up....again. I'm on a baking forum and they're saying they can't find certain kinds of flour in their supermarkets; evidently, that's going to be the next thing. I now have 20 5-pound bags in the freezer. You might want to do a bit of stocking up on things like baking chocolates and chips, too, while you're at it. They're talking about price increases on that, too.

Pasta has gotten ridiculous. $1.50 for a pound of regular San Giorgio pasta. Other than the store brand, that was pretty much the cheapest. Our granddaughter wants to come up for a day to bake something. I asked her if she might be interested in making noodles and pasta instead. And then make pizza for supper. Of course! We're going to try it together. And I have some KA gluten-free flour, so we could try some GF pasta for my DIL. I guess I should put my pasta maker to good use. And she seems excited about it.

We ended up with about 4 inches of snow yesterday. It's already melting in the driveway. Hopefully, til the next storm comes on Saturday, most of what we have now will have melted.

Not much going on today:
  • I put 5 audiobooks on the Kindle for Rick's mom. We'll take it up to her this afternoon, along with her sticky buns.
  • Killed Netflix. It's too expensive. We're still good until the beginning of April.
  • Hit Target for Rick's meds.
  • Check the plants in the WeShed; I was out there the other night and they were fine, but wasn't out yesterday at all.
I'm more of a eater than a cooker with that said. In your opinion do you think that pasta would be less expensive to purchase at a coop ?

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of busy.
*regular morning stuff
*played with Geoffrey, twice this morning
*interviewed one resident for my next newspaper article. It is about the now defunct choral club
* going to watch a movie in the commyyroom. Never did this, but it is a good movie: The Book Club—- It is being shown in response to the building beginning it’s own book club— so I have to be there.

It is a gorgeous day outside! 50 degrees! The snow from last night is almost gone. I am too lazy and busy to clean it off my windshield. It will melt.

We had about 3 inches.

gotta go. Movie time

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm more of a eater than a cooker with that said. In your opinion do you think that pasta would be less expensive to purchase at a coop ?
I honestly don't know. I do know that I used to be able to buy San Giorgio for 88 cents a box and, right now, it's at $1.50 a box, which pretty used to be the price for their lasagna noodles. Which is ridiculous for a standard pasta and I'm not going there. I'm just not. We don't have much in the way of coopts around here, mainly for fresh produce and veggies during the summer. I'm just going to start making it and see what happens.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know. I do know that I used to be able to buy San Giorgio for 88 cents a box and, right now, it's at $1.50 a box, which pretty used to be the price for their lasagna noodles. Which is ridiculous for a standard pasta and I'm not going there. I'm just not. We don't have much in the way of coopts around here, mainly for fresh produce and veggies during the summer. I'm just going to start making it and see what happens.
I have a Coop grocery In my community . Plus twice A week during the growing season there's a Community farmers market . I probably should check out their pasta prices . Thanks for the input.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Costco had a 50 pound bag of some unfamiliar brand all-purpose flour apparently intended for restaurants. Said so on the bag. Thought about it. Bought a 25 pound bag of King Arthur all-purpose flour for $13.99, which is what I intended and what I have bought previously. Since there are 4 cups to a pound of flour I expect that 100 cups of flour will do me for a while. When I made cornmeal muffins for lunch yesterday it took 1 1/2 cups flour + 1/2 cup cornmeal for 8 very nice muffins.

I also bought a 4-pack of 2 pound boxes of Barilla thin spaghetti for $10.69. Also last us for quite a while.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault That was a good buy on KA flour. Spaghetti wasn't bad either. The closest Costco to us is about 60 miles away; I've often wished there was one closer.

Tired this morning with about half a headache. I fell asleep around 1:00 and slept until about 4:30. Got up at 5:30.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee.
  • There are two loads of laundry on the bathroom floor.
  • Change the sheets (make that three loads of laundry) and put away snowflake patterns for the sheets on the bed (and the tablecloth in the kitchen). I'm tired of seeing snowflakes....time for something more spring-y. Still not time to get rid of the flannels on the bed though. Or the electric blanket, which is on High all night long (my side, anyway).
  • Got a turkey breast out of the freezer for Sunday dinner.
Rick's mom was fine with the sticky buns instead of doughnuts. She also said I'm doing a great job choosing audiobooks for her to listen to.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Busy day:
* regular morning stuff
* eyeglass store, Pick up scripts, get some more blueberries....
*at least one main interview for the newspaper; possibly 2
*make a phone call for one more interview
*make supper... most likely tuna salad. There is nothing appetizing for me not he menu.

Winchester Winchester C catapault I am watching Good Morning America. They are really stressing that Russia is going to stop all exports of wheat to us. I guess Russian supplies 90% of our wheat..

What the heck ever happened to all the wheat farmers in the mid-west?
I think it is too late for them to plant wheat. Even if they did turn their crops over to wheat, it would still have to grow, be harvested... so this shortage is just starting..

It may be time to invest in an extra freezer Wish I could... dam Putin to He!!..... and it is Lent.. God forgive me.. In my eyes, and heart; He is the Devil .

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Change the sheets
How often do you wash your blankets?

sticky buns
How did the sticky buns turn out? Any pics or does it basically look the same as last pic?

Russia is going to stop all exports of wheat to us. I guess Russian supplies 90% of our wheat..
Oh good lord, I didn't know this! Why on earth would we get all our wheat from Russia? Should grow it here. Guess I'll have to eat my mother's gluten free stuff.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How often do you wash your blankets?

How did the sticky buns turn out? Any pics or does it basically look the same as last pic?

Oh good lord, I didn't know this! Why on earth would we get all our wheat from Russia? Should grow it here. Guess I'll have to eat my mother's gluten free stuff.
Why Would we be buying "Wheat" from Russia? That's what Kansas is for. LoL

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know for sure but I would hazard a guess that with the lunacy the world is prone to the USA exports much of its home grown wheat, then imports wheat from abroad. Regardless, I was intending to buy a 25 pound bag of KA flour because my basement prep of flour was used up, the last of it transferred upstairs a couple of days ago.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know for sure but with the lunacy the world is prone to I would not be surprised if the USA exports much of its wheat, then buys in from abroad.

Winter wheat is sown in the fall, harvested in summer or early fall. Spring wheat is planted in March, April or May depending on moisture conditions in the soil. Does not yield as much as winter wheat. Wheat may also be used as a green cover crop to improve soil tilth and prevent erosion.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
M maggiedemi I wash our heavy quilt about once a month; I just washed the thing yesterday because Muffin brought up a hairball. Same with the electric blanket, about once a month. Sheets are changed every week.

The sticky buns turned out great! Rick's mom was very pleased and said that if she had to choose between sticky buns and doughnuts, she would chose sticky buns. This is from the other day....freshly made. I got this larger pan (13 x 9) as well as a smaller pan (11 x 7). Sticky buns are very popular around here.
2022SBuns.jpg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wash our heavy quilt about once a month; I just washed the thing yesterday because Muffin brought up a hairball. Same with the electric blanket, about once a month. Sheets are changed every week.
That's exactly how I often I would wash them if I was allowed to use the washing machine. I need to get myself well enough to get to the laundromat, but it is 30 minutes away. My brother bought me a new washing machine, but she won't let me touch it. She only wants to wash blankets like once a year, and they get so disgusting with the cats on them. It just makes me more depressed and then I can't do anything to help myself. I've got to get well.

The sticky buns turned out great!
They look wonderful! I'll give them a try and see if I can develop a liking for dessert. I seem to only like sweet coffee drinks.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We're thinking about four inches of snow so far, but it's hard to tell as the wind is just howling about the house.
  • Scooped the boxes
  • I have a loaf of no-knead bread in the oven.
  • Also made chocolate chip cookies and sugar cakes (cookies) this morning.
And that's it for today. I think we're going to spend the afternoon as couch potatoes, watching some movies. I vacuumed and swiffered yesterday, wiped down the kitchen and bathroom, and did all the laundry. Today is a day to not do much.

Status
Not open for further replies.