Name Three Things - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Thanksgiving!
My TG will be Saturday since my daughter works today and tomorrow (she works in healthcare. Must work some holidays.)

I will be 1. making cranberries.
2. Roasting turkey parts and veggies for gravy making on Saturday.
3. Finish shoveling the end of my driveway after snow on Tuesday.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Thanksgiving!
My TG will be Saturday since my daughter works today and tomorrow (she works in healthcare. Must work some holidays.)

I will be 1. making cranberries.
2. Roasting turkey parts and veggies for gravy making on Saturday.
3. Finish shoveling the end of my driveway after snow on Tuesday.
I do the same thing with my gravy - use roasted turkey parts to make rich turkey stock for gravy in advance of the big meal. Just makes all the last minute work a little less. Happy Thanksgiving!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I do the same thing with my gravy - use roasted turkey parts to make rich turkey stock for gravy in advance of the big meal. Just makes all the last minute work a little less. Happy Thanksgiving!
It makes the best gravy. Much better than the leavings after roasting turkey. I love a good gravy! And makes the house smell soooo good.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone too!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
@catapoult said: "I'm curious. What plants do you have that need watering twice a week? Of course it is summer for you, so they are in active growth. Perhaps in smaller pots which also need more attention?"

Hi catapoult, I have over 50 interior plants. My living room has 2 enormous windows, one facing East and the other one West. Now in Summertime the sun is very strong on both sides mornings and afternoons. Many plants required to be watered twice a week, such as the Spathiphyllums, the Anthuriums, Potos, Aglaonema, Fittonia, Nephrolepis, Ruellia, Crotons, etc. etc. Excuse me for not listing them all.

My kitchen windows face West but the plants on the window sills are all cactuses that are watered once a week now but once every two weeks in Winter.
Thanks for your interest.
golondrina golondrina , your house sounds just beautiful. And congrats on keeping your cats away from your plants!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
-Had the new roller curtains installed today on both sides (East and West) of the living/dining room. They are a lot easier to handle than my old ones. My problem now is to find a way to place out of Sombra's busy claws the lovely white chains hanging down. I am planning to nail kooks up on the walls where the chains can be retained. They are so pretty that they will look like ornaments.

-I have gone outside to enjoy the sight and sound of hundreds of cars blowing their horns to celebrate the new elected President.

-Have sent messages to friends and members of my family living in the USA and France confirming the election of Uruguay's new President.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
golondrina golondrina , your house sounds just beautiful. And congrats on keeping your cats away from your plants!
Thank you susan. i chose this apartment some 31 years ago thinking if I was lucky enough to reach an old age I'd at least have enough space to surround myself with plants and enjoy good scenery through my windows. Sombra loves watching the pigeons and seagulls flying around. As for the plants she likes studying any new arrival but after a little while leaves them alone.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
golondrina golondrina You are very lucky that Sombra leaves your plants alone. Around here, "plant" is just another word for kitty snack.

That wind was nasty yesterday! Fortunately, no trees fell over, but it roared around the house. Still to be breezy today, but at least it's not gusting.
  • Breakfast for the kids and I'm sitting back here with my morning coffee.
  • Ordered 20 pails of Tidy Cats from PetSmart late last night. We're going down to PetSmart in a few minutes to wait in line to buy cat food and dog snacks. We should be able to pick up the litter sometime tomorrow; we'll have to wait for the email.
  • We'll be moving furniture around in the living room to make room for the Christmas tree. I don't know if Rick will get the TWT up in the shed or not. He spent yesterday putting the blinds up.
  • I cleaned out my fridge at work so we can go in this afternoon to bring it home and put it in the shed. That just leaves my lights in my office.
  • Other than that, it's odds and ends: litter scooping, vacuuming, wiping down the kitchen and bathroom, all that good stuff

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
golondrina golondrina It sounds like a virtual jungle in your house! I have large houseplants that go out for the summer and in for the winter - two red spot bananas, a number of aspidistra, the smaller aspidistra with white speckled leaves, and a few others. Greenhouse plants are summer dormant / winter flowering. And the tender bulbs that bloom outdoors in the summer go into the basement for their winter dormancy. It's a twice a year migration!

Thanksgiving went well, once we got there. Very, in fact quite close to the house, there was a road closure because a car had hit a power pole and it was missing the bottom third. Wires were holding up the rest of the pole. Our poor car service driver was circling for an extra 30 minutes trying to find a way around.

So nice to see everyone. Oodles of food and lots of wine. And they have a new 10 week old kitten! along with their laid back adult cat. Kitten was O.K. with petting, would curl up next to you, but not a lap cat and did not want to be cuddled.

Family Thanksgiving_2019-11-pensive kitten.jpg

That was all good but I never want a week like this again. Told you about our granddaughter dying on November 22. But I didn't mention that my older sister who lived in Jerusalem died on November 26. The "third shoe" dropped when I got a phone call Thursday morning to tell me that a friend of 40 years or more had died the night before. The last two were not completely unexpected. But not now.

So that's that. Our son and daughter-in-law are having breakfast with everyone at the Thanksgiving feast house then coming here about lunchtime, spending the night, heading home tomorrow. Their room is all set up. I need to bake dessert for tonight, an apple galette I think. The cookies, btw, were a big hit. Daughter in law - who is consuming less wheat - even asked for the recipe. How about that!

So today I am
1) baking
2) cooking
3) socializing

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault I am so very sorry. :hugs:

I spent last evening in the shed, decorating the Tacky White Tree. It's almost finished; I need to find a package of ornament hooks. I broke a ball, cleaned it up, but should do a good vacuuming out there this morning. And I have to raise the blinds this morning, too, so the plants get light throughout the day. They're not doing well and I'm thinking that it's a combination of having to go outside in the cold when I brought them home from work and they're not getting the light they're used to. Those African violets have been under light 24/7 for several years at work and now they have to live through dark nights. It will take time to get accustomed to the new routine. I'm going to take all the blooms off my Christmas cacti, so they can put some strength into becoming acclimated instead of blooming. I just hope it's not the last time I ever see them bloom! They're finicky things!

Weather is not supposed to be all that great this weekend. Starting at some point tonight and going until some time Sunday afternoon, the local weather weenies (ww) are calling for freezing rain and ice, followed by snow showers on Monday morning. Yay! (not) The ww wouldn't even mention snow amounts yet last night as they said it was too early to tell.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my morning coffee
  • Once it's light outside, I'll take the vacuum out to vacuum the shed. I'll do a good swiffer out there, too.
  • If Rick puts our tree up in the living room, we'll likely decorate the tree tonight
I don't think we're going anywhere today, but I could be wrong.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
C catapault I am so very sorry. :hugs:

I spent last evening in the shed, decorating the Tacky White Tree. It's almost finished; I need to find a package of ornament hooks. I broke a ball, cleaned it up, but should do a good vacuuming out there this morning. And I have to raise the blinds this morning, too, so the plants get light throughout the day. They're not doing well and I'm thinking that it's a combination of having to go outside in the cold when I brought them home from work and they're not getting the light they're used to. Those African violets have been under light 24/7 for several years at work and now they have to live through dark nights. It will take time to get accustomed to the new routine. I'm going to take all the blooms off my Christmas cacti, so they can put some strength into becoming acclimated instead of blooming. I just hope it's not the last time I ever see them bloom! They're finicky things!

Weather is not supposed to be all that great this weekend. Starting at some point tonight and going until some time Sunday afternoon, the local weather weenies (ww) are calling for freezing rain and ice, followed by snow showers on Monday morning. Yay! (not) The ww wouldn't even mention snow amounts yet last night as they said it was too early to tell.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my morning coffee
  • Once it's light outside, I'll take the vacuum out to vacuum the shed. I'll do a good swiffer out there, too.
  • If Rick puts our tree up in the living room, we'll likely decorate the tree tonight
I don't think we're going anywhere today, but I could be wrong.
What does this tree look like? I love the ones from the 70s with the revolving light, ha!!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 The Tacky White Tree is simply a white tree, decorated with blue and white lights and blue balls. That's it. I've had a TWT now for quite a few years. When we were kids, it was my mom's favorite Christmas tree. Many years ago, we were coming home from visiting our kids and I told Rick that I thought I needed a TWT of my own. He gave me "that" look, but I was serious. Stopped in at Home Depot on the way home, bought a white tree (how we got that thing into Clarence is another story!), and put it up in the kitchen. Everybody made fun of me, everybody thought it was tacky beyond belief. That Thanksgiving, Mom and Dad came down for dinner and the TWT was in the kitchen in all its glory. You should have seen the look on Mom's face. Worth every penny. My parents are gone, but we've put it up every year since, I think. One year, I said to let it go, we could do without it. And then, about a week before Christmas, I said, "Dear, would you mind putting up the white tree?" I had a hard time without. I know it sounds silly, but it was hard.

Last year, we realized that the original (to us) TWT had seen better days. Between the cats chewing on the needles and trying to nap in the branches, it was pretty bad. Branches were broken and we had to set them up on boxes to get them off the floor. Rick said it was time to get another one, so we ordered a new TWT from Balsam Hill. This is our second year with the TWT (that everybody still makes fun of every chance they get). It's out in the shed this year.

My parents had their share of "interesting" trees. From several TWTs, to a silver aluminum tree with the blasted colorwheel, I might add, to a tree that snowed, I wish we had some of those trees now. You can get colorwheels on eBay; we thought about it, but with the cats, that's just begging for trouble.

When we first got married, we had real trees. But turns out our son would get an asthma attack from the sap. We switched over to artificial trees when he was just small.

To keep this on topic, I was out in the shed, vacuumed and dusted this morning. That's one of my three things that is now done.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Son and daughter-in-law are on their way back to Massachusetts. It's about 15 to 20 minutes longer than a 5 hour drive. They want to get home while it is still light. Pleasant visit.

Last night's dinner was well received - meatloaf (son's favorite), double baked potatoes and the other vegetables were all from my friend's garden - sweet potatoes, beets, carrot. I made a galette for dessert - the cream cheese, butter, flour I use for rugelach rolled thin, brushed with apricot jam, topped with sliced apples. Edges crimped up but apples exposed, a butter & cinnamon topping, then everything brushed with beaten egg. Just large enough for 4 servings. Served with vanilla ice cream. Here's a not very good picture of the galette.

Baking_2019-11_apple galette.jpg

Today I am
1) doing laundry
2) going grocery shopping so I can start on the cookies that keep
and 3) start the holiday decorating.
The goose girl/goose boy mobile is up. Son helped with that - I'm too short, even with stepladder and I Do Not want Himself up on a stepladder!
Christmas Decorations_2018-12_goose girl and boy mobile.jpg
And 5 white horses with a sleigh filled with packages.
Christmas Decorations_2018-12_5 white horses and sleigh.jpg
Last year's pictures but they look the same this year.

Tomorrow is supposed to be not very nice weather so I can continue with the decorations and start with the cookies.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault Your galette looks delicious! Your pictures are cute.
Mia6 Mia6 Be careful without your helper
Furballsmom Furballsmom We are having a spa day here this morning. The cats won't be amused.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my morning coffee. Rick stripped the bed down and put the sheets in the washer. I only have two loads of laundry to do today, since I did laundry on Friday. I washed all the cats' linens yesterday. Muffin's blankies were nice and warm when I folded them; she followed me back to her stroller and, as soon as I put the blankies in her stroller, she hopped in, turned around, and sacked out. She was there the rest of the afternoon, sound asleep.
  • We really need to trim claws and clean ears. The girls won't be amused, but it needs to be done.
  • Put up the wreaths around the house. Rick will put up the poinsettia garland around the kitchen at some point and we'll see how long it takes for Mollipop to destroy it. Once the wreaths are up, then it's just doing the tree in the living room.
  • I put a bunch of stuff from the kitchen back here in the computer room for the holidays. Now I have to make room for it all back here.
  • Take the Tucson into the garage for new tires today. Rick will follow me to the garage, we'll drop the car off, and then run up to see Rick's mother. She called last night and was upset because we didn't visit with her last night, because of the bad weather coming today. To be honest, neither Rick nor I thought about it. She was not happy.
So far it's not done anything. No freezing rain, no ice. According to our local weather-weenies, though, it's coming. Yay....not.

Back to work tomorrow. Eleven more working days! :yess:

Status
Not open for further replies.