Name Three Things - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The replacement gaskets for my Moka pot arrived yesterday. Oh boy, am I caffinated this morning!

Today I need to
1) do several loads of laundry
2) stuff cotton balls between the leaves of small artichokes so they can dry semi-open for future craft use
3) remember to start the potatoes for the potato bar dinner tonight.

And I'm sure there are other things that will come to mind. But yesterday I did
1) baked 4 different kinds of cookies: blanketstaaf, rugelach, mini chocolate chocolate chip, and this interesting candied orange peel, candied ginger, craisin sort of meringue with almond flour that's actually rather nice.
2) made up the guest bed and put fresh towels in their bathroom
3) and did some of the tidying that should be done before outsiders (even if they are family) come to stay

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 The Beast just likes to be where we are. We're her clan, I guess. Even when she still lived with Rick's parents, she always liked Rick and me. I think that, even though she really missed Rick's dad when he died, we helped her get over her grief by bringing her home with us instead of taking her to a shelter. They used to bring her with them when they visited with us, so it wasn't a completely new place for her. Hard to believe she's 14 years old. You should see her racing out through the yard! With that tail waving. I always tell her to act her age and she always laughs at me.

C catapault If I was there, I'd help myself to some of those cookies!

I awakened this morning around 6:00 and said to Rick, "Aren't you supposed to be up at work this morning?" "Oh crap!" And he ripped out of bed, threw some clothes on, brushed his teeth, and took off. He only had one person to sign into the union, so he got home right after I left for work.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and got ready for work
  • Hopefully, the Tucson will pass its inspection today and it won't cost me an arm and a leg.
  • Didn't make it for groceries last night, so we'll have to go tonight. I need to get the turkey started tonight.
The blinds for the shed are now supposed to be coming in today. That was part of the reason we didn't go for groceries last night.....we expected the blinds to be delivered at some point, so we hung around the house. Now, they're saying today.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turns out that the woman who was going to foster my deceased granddaughter's two cats has backed out. It was understandable that she wanted some help with food for them because it would have been open ended, until the cats were adopted. However she decided that because she has two cats of her own and is currently fostering a mom cat with a litter of kittens she cannot do it as an open-ended situation. At least she decided before she took the cats.

And my daughter has 50 friends looking for a home for these cats. May it happen soon.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The Beast just likes to be where we are. We're her clan, I guess. Even when she still lived with Rick's parents, she always liked Rick and me. I think that, even though she really missed Rick's dad when he died, we helped her get over her grief by bringing her home with us instead of taking her to a shelter. They used to bring her with them when they visited with us, so it wasn't a completely new place for her. Hard to believe she's 14 years old. You should see her racing out through the yard! With that tail waving. I always tell her to act her age and she always laughs at me.
Wowza, 14!!! For some reason I felt she was much younger, racing with tail waving, sooo cute!!

C catapault I'm thinking of you and your family. I hope kitties get a good home.

• Boxes
  • Tea
  • Raining now and chilly. damp chill, brrrr. Callie wanted out and sat underneath the chair looking for the Vincie girl. She came in soon but wanted out again. She's got that thick Maine Coon hair so she's protected. Going to sort out some paperwork. I tried a different laundry detergent for my smalls, washcloths, towels and pillowcases I bought Dreft and it really made a difference. I had remembered when I had a severe poison ivy reaction when I was in 8th grade and almost missed the trip to D,C., doc had me bathe in it and it cleared up, got to go to DC!!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 I'm happy to say the cats have a home. And it is a great one! My granddaughter's once upon a time partner - they were a couple when his grandmother gave them the first cat - has taken them both. He was hesitant to ask, thinking my daughter would want to keep the two cats. But with a cat killing dog (he's a terrier and apparently they hunt. And kill.) and to someone who already loves both cats it is a wonderful solution.

The potato bar was a fabulous idea. The drive from the airport was delayed with an accident so first I turned the oven down, then I turned it back up, then sprang into action with the embellishments when they were 25 minutes from arrival.

We sampled various cookies for dessert. I may have to rearrange the container contents to disguise the fact. Or maybe bake something else this afternoon after they depart for culinary duty at the relative's house.

Today we will
1) go to the every Wednesday morning knitting group. That's the female duo. The guys are on their own.
Then I will
2) do laundry to prepare the guest room for the Friday arrivals.
And 3) maybe bake cookies. Or decide to simply cut up a small fruitcake and call it good enough.

My daughter brought two advent calendars for the cats~! From Trader Joe's, with salmon and dried seaweed treats. How cool is that!

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault Oh, that's just wonderful news! I've been thinking about those two. I'm glad it worked out.
And it sounds like your potato bar was a huge hit. Kudos!

My car passed inspection, but I do need tires. The guy who inspected it knows that we'll do it right away, so he put the sticker on the car. And, in fact, Rick brought me into work this morning because he's heading to the tire place as I type.

But.....on the way into pick up the Tucson from the garage, Clarence's power steering went out. I knew right away as soon as it happened. So we dropped him off at the garage and picked up the Tucson. And we'll see what's going on with Clarence. I know nothing about power steering. Crap.
  • Breakfast for the girls, walked 2.5 miles and got ready for work
  • When I get home tonight, it will be time to bake and cook: iced tea, pumpkin pie filling, Granny Smith apple pie, the base for the turkey gravy
  • Wash the tablecloth and napkins, so they're nice and fresh for tomorrow's dinner.
And that's pretty much it.

ETA: Rick just called. I can drop the car off Monday morning on my way to work, then just walk into work. I can walk back out during lunch and pick the car up, with its new tires.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
someone who already loves both cats it is a wonderful solution.
This is fantastic!!! Good on you for the potato bar, nicely done!!

with salmon and dried seaweed treats. How cool is that!
This is so thoughtful!!

Clarence's power steering went out
I'll bet you did know right away LOL. For those of you who might not be familiar, power steering is what it says it is. When the vehicle doesn't have it YOU are the power that is turning the steering wheel inside the vehicle that makes the front tires shift from right to left or whatever, to change lanes or turn a corner etc. When the tires are rolling it's not quite as bad to force them to change direction as compared to when the vehicle is standing still, but nonetheless, it's an arm workout :)

I wrung out the towels that were catching the melting snow from the snowthrower. Snowmelt is dang flippin' COLD!!!

I need to find a box to put the pie into so it doesn't slide around in the car

Need to make Rachael Rays' stuffin' muffins. This is going to be a complete break from tradition for Dean's sister (and she doesn't know it yet), because she ALWAYS has to have crescent rolls for Thanksgiving, whether they are underdone because the oven accidentally was turned off in the chaos of too many people trying to do too many things all at the same time in the kitchen, or the darn things are forgotten in the midst of getting everything else on the table and left for too long in the oven and end up with scorched bottoms, or not LOL

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast was a variable meal. Himself had his usual, son in law had an omelet with bacon and cheese, daughter said we ate late last night and ate so well that she wasn't hungry. And I had my usual coffee, that's all, thank you so much.

Knitting on Wednesday was smallish turnout. We had a wonderful time. While we were out enjoying ourselves son in law took all the remaining deck chairs and hung them up in the basement - winter storage. And swapped out fluorescent bulbs in the shop lights down there for LED lights.

Home for lunch. I had bought 3 English muffins at the knitting group cafe venue, made on the premises. Himself had an omelet with bacon and mushrooms, and a toasted English muffin. Daughter, son in law, and I had squash blossom soup (a freezer is such a good adjunct for this sort of meal.) Son in law had tuna salad on a toasted English muffin. Daughter prefers gluten free so I got the last toasted English muffin. And we all shared a nice big salad with lettuce, cucumber, sweet red pepper, and walnuts that daughter assembled.

They left about 1:45 p.m. to go tomorrow's family's Thanksgiving home so daughter can help with preparing side dishes. No idea if the Macy's parade balloons will fly on Thursday but I don't care because I'm not in the group that's going. I have decided that once I assemble the cookie box(es) I will fill in with fruitcake if more dessert is needed, .

Last load of laundry is in the washing machine. Bed sheets, having gone through washer and dryer, are back on the bed.

I think it will be an early bedtime tonight.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
-Received my new living room curtains but had to send back two halves which were the wrong size; this after having had the windows measured by the furnishers 9 days ago. :sigh:

-Had lunch with my younger daughter after she brought me the medicines renewed by my doctor yesterday.

-Watered those of my interior plants which require attention twice a week.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
golondrina golondrina I'm curious. What plants do you have that need watering twice a week? Of course it is summer for you, so they are in active growth. Perhaps in smaller pots which also need more attention?

I packed up the cookies for tomorrow. Two boxes, two layers per box. And dang, do they look good! Added in one small bundlette fruit cake per box. And had 7 cookies left over. Would have been 8. But I ate one.
Cookies_2019-11_cookie box-bottom layer.jpg
Cookies_2019-11_cookie box-top layer.jpg

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault Those cookies look so delicious! When we're baking together, I always tell my granddaughter about Chef's Choice. Chef Choice is when the cookies are finished and she and I can pick out the absolute best-looking cookie in the bunch and enjoy. We worked hard to make them and we deserve a cookie (or three) when we're finished.

I awakened this morning with a bit of a sore throat. Hoping that I'm not coming down with a cold....but I think I am.

Rick said that, when it gets light outside, he and The Beast will walk around the yard to see about tree damage, too Mia6 Mia6 .
  • Breakfast for the girls and I made my coffee. I'm drinking that before I do anything else this morning. I feel like I need a whole pot of caffeine. Then I'll go out and empty the dishwasher and start in with the cooking. Bake the pumpkin pie, do the mashed potatoes and corn pudding. Get the stuffing ready for the crock pot. Make the gremolata for the beans. All that good stuff. So that this afternoon, all I have to do is put the dishes in the oven at their appropriate times and pay attention to the the timers. While I'm doing that, Rick will be out in the shed, installing the window blinds (and watching football). He said he might put the Tacky White Tree up, too, so I can decorate it.
  • Have to scoop the boxes
  • Do a quick vacuum about the house
And that's it. We're going to enjoy our dinner, clean the kitchen, and then relax for the rest of the day.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Thanksgiving! Today’s major undertaking is to get my 90 year old mother to Thanksgiving. Her drive was supposed to be fully plowed but they only did the top 20 feet (long drive) so my son will meet me there to shovel a path and help me get mom from her house to my car. After than a fun afternoon of sitting, chatting and eating. Hope yours is the same.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@catapoult said: "I'm curious. What plants do you have that need watering twice a week? Of course it is summer for you, so they are in active growth. Perhaps in smaller pots which also need more attention?"

Hi catapoult, I have over 50 interior plants. My living room has 2 enormous windows, one facing East and the other one West. Now in Summertime the sun is very strong on both sides mornings and afternoons. Many plants required to be watered twice a week, such as the Spathiphyllums, the Anthuriums, Potos, Aglaonema, Fittonia, Nephrolepis, Ruellia, Crotons, etc. etc. Excuse me for not listing them all.

My kitchen windows face West but the plants on the window sills are all cactuses that are watered once a week now but once every two weeks in Winter.
Thanks for your interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.