My semi feral cat has disappeared

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope Redford is continuing to do well! Glad the release from the crate went well too. We do use a large dog crate for initial socializing - but when possible (& it looks like we'll actually be able to socialize eventually vs having to TNR) we put the crate into a large room where I can spend time with the kitty, reading, watching tv, taking naps, etc.

I leave a radio on low volume on NPR or the tv on low volume on something like HGTV for our fosters. Does double duty - masks some of the "scary sounds" coming from the rest of the house, & gets them more used to human voices & sounds!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, Kittychick, Redford is doing well. He goes in and out of the crate at will. Has taken to spending more time out of it. One of his favorite places is the lower empty shelf of a bookcase. He shows no signs of aggression, and his posture seems more relaxed at times. The only sound I have heard from him for the entire week was a big deep sigh after he had dinner last night.

I play music for Redford, piano and string. I have heard that human voices could be stressful so I have avoided the radio, but who knows, all cats are different. I am trying to stay in touch with his responses to things, to understand him as a unique individual. He certainly is not a typical feral. I visit him at least three times a day, and I have napped with him. He prefers to be alone from 10 am to about 3 pm, that is his usual sleep time. He is more alert after dinner, and I make sure to,spend quite a it of time with him after his evening meal.

Thanks for checking in:wavey:

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard any updates about Redford, so I am assuming that he is doing well and making progress. I haven't seem Callie for several weeks until this morning...when I went to leave my house to go to work, Callie was waiting outside my kitchen door, hissing at me. The hissing is absolutely normal for Callie, as he is a bit confused over proper etiquette and doesn't always associate a hiss with being mad or upset...he does it as a kind of greeting. He was skinnier than I like to see him, so I gave him a full can of wet food as well as a handfull of dry food...I hope he decides to stay around. His wounds from a week or so ago seem to have healed, so he seems to be back to his summer routine.

Even though it is rainy outside, Callie's return has made the day a bit sunnier! :)

Jim 

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@JMarkitell, so happy to hear this! Maybe this is the summer you will be able to catch him and get him neutered. Yes, thanks, Redford is doing very well. He is getting more comfortable with our routine of feeding, box cleaning (he is faithful in using it) and is getting used to household sounds. He also likes guitar music. I have had a family emergency to deal with this past week and unfortunately I have not had a lot of time to spend with him. But he does seem very happy to see me when I do visit. Thanks for thinking of Redford, and I wish you the best with Callie.

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if your cat has come back yet? I feel for you..I have a feral female that we have been feeding for 12 years now! She had just recently started to let us touch her just a little bit. She's had a heated house to get her through winters and has obviously done pretty well. On occasion these males that pass through still try to mate with her even though she has been fixed and she has been bitten severely a few times by them. I get some liquid Clavamox from the vet and usually that keeps abscesses from forming. She was bitten again last week and this time has been acting strange even toward us since this attack. At least she comes to eat (which is good because I can get her medicine in her food) but then she runs off. She used to hang around in our yard all day and was always nearby. A few years ago she was missing for several days and when she came back had a huge abcess that thankfully burst. I thought she was dying because I couldn't see it under her fur. It is really hard making friends with and trying to take care of these ferals. I hope he comes back soon for you.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi MrsTY,
Thanks for asking. Yes, Redford has been home since May 16th. He had quite an adventure, and I was able to recover him with the help of social media. He had traveled over 6 miles from home. I am working on socializing him, and we are well into our daily routines. He has a ways to go yet, but seems content with his space, and I am taking it one day at a time with him, He enjoys my visits, and special treats. We are both very patient.
Best, Alex

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that Radford is doing well. My feral, Callie, showed up for a day or two and has been MIA since. I'm guessing this is not abnormal as he often goes away for weeks on end, but usually in the winter. He was pretty skinny the last time I saw him, so I hope he returns soon so I can fatten him up for winter. Callie come home!!

Jim M 

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen any recent posts on Redford. Unfortunately, my Feral male calico, Callie, has been MIA for a month. I'm hoping he decides to come back, since he usually spends most of the year with us. He has disappeared for several months at a time, but it was usually the winter when he left.

Callie come home!! 

Jim 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My avatar cat, Gin kun, is AWOL at the moment too. He usually stays in the house or in the enclosure, but he managed to dash out the door when I was coming home with a load of groceries. He's been gone two weeks today.

I'm trying not to worry about him too much. He survived on his own as a feral tom for years before we met and he's run off and then come back three or four times before. He's usually gone between a week and ten days, so I'm really hoping he comes home this weekend.

I guess a forest in the middle of summer is the perfect place for a cat though. Maybe he's just having too much fun to come home yet.

Come home Gin and Callie! We worried about you.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked outside last night because my "Patrol Cats" were excited about something..I looked outside and Callie finally came back after being MIA most of the summer. He was pretty skinny and a little skittish, but once I got some food into him he was a lot more relaxed. This morning he was gone again, but he might still be in the general vicinity. I hope he stays around longer so I can fatten him up for the winter. Its great to see him again...I thought he was gone for good.

Jim 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

I looked outside last night because my "Patrol Cats" were excited about something..I looked outside and Callie finally came back after being MIA most of the summer. He was pretty skinny and a little skittish, but once I got some food into him he was a lot more relaxed. This morning he was gone again, but he might still be in the general vicinity. I hope he stays around longer so I can fatten him up for the winter. Its great to see him again...I thought he was gone for good.

Jim 
Oh, that's great news!

How long was he gone for? Gin kun has been gone for 6 weeks and 2 days now, I've been out to look for him almost every day but haven't caught sight of him yet

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Callie has been missing since early June. He typically disappears over the winter (maybe goes to Miami?) and comes back in the spring...usually April but was a little later this year. he stuck around for a few weeks then disappeared again for a while, re-apppeared for a few days and then was gone again until now. He isn't fixed, so its hard to say where he is off to, but he looks pretty good now. He was gone again this morning but might be back. I'm hoping.

I hope Gin returns soon. My black cat, Binks, was hanging around with Callie a few years ago...Binks came inside but Callie was too feral. Binks has been outside a lot lately and maybe this is why Callie came back...to see his old friend. They still like each other and head butt, which is kind of strange for two male cats. Lets hope for the best for Gin...it drives you crazy when they disappear.

Jim

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's reassuring to hear that Callie was able to take care of himself for so long and that he remembered where you were when he got hungry. I think a forest of this size must be heaven for a former-feral cat to explore. Gin survived on his own for at least ten years before we met and it's not as if there is much around here that could hurt him. Very few roads or people, no predators, plenty of small prey.

I hope he heads back when it starts to get colder. I miss him.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Norachan and @JMARKITELL, sorry  to have been out of the loop. I usually get notified via email when there are posts on this thread, but somehow got disconnected. So sorry to hear Callie and Gin are AWOL! I am sure they are fine, and will surprise you again with an appearance when it is least expected.

Update on Redford - he is still indoors and doing well but is being very stubborn about connecting with humans. He has a new cat friend named Figaro, a long hair black and white. Figaro is a real joy and arrived unexpectedly his summer, when a neighbor moved and left her cats with a so-called friend, who in turn left them to fend for themselves. Figaro and Redford have know each other for more than a year, because Figaro would visit my property and help Redford with his meals.  So when he was abandoned, I had no qualms about taking him in. They greeted each other with little meows, and are sharing a suite on the third floor. This has been good for Redford, it has helped him come out of his shell, and he has a buddy to interact with. He watched Figaro communicate with us, and watches carefully when I pick him up or groom him. Maybe one day Redford will allow me to approach...

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an adorable cat!!  Very nice of you to take such good care of him. It sounds like everyone is better off because of your kindness.

Hang in there with Redford. Just take it slow and build trust with him. Food, play if possible, talk to him softly, give him eye kisses, etc. He'll warm up. They know good people.

Thanks for the update, let us know if you have any questions anytime.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for the update @Alex134  Figaro is a lovely cat, he's so lucky to have you. I think he will help Redford a lot. Cats seem to learn from watching others, when he sees Figaro enjoying being petted he'll want to try it for himself.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement @CalicosRSpecial. Redford has his ups and downs and so do I. I am patient, and so far he seems to be enjoying cat company, especially at night when people are safely asleep. We can hear them running and jumping upstairs. He does give eye kisses, and does not seem to mind my presence for cleaning his box and keeping the rooms tidy. He spends a lot of time looking out of the window, and that really gets me. Does he feel imprisoned?

Figaro ventures downstairs and has explored other parts of the house, has interacted with the other felines. Redford is welcome to do so as well, as soon as he feels ready.

Hope all is well on your end.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, @Norachan,  hope you are right. Meanwhile, the little guy we call Radar, the fellow who started this whole bruhaha last March by attacking Redford, keeps coming around for food. Every night at dusk. One night I noticed he was limping, so I set up a trap the next evening, and was surprised that he actually went inside, after having his regular meal! Off to the vet the next morning, we saw that he had a hurt foot, had ripped a nail. So his toe was clipped and trimmed, and cleaned, and he was given an antibiotic shot. He did not miss a beat, that night he was back for food, this time hissing and meowing all at the same time! He is a funny little guy. We are developing an odd little communication between us. I probably will have another resident in my garage this winter!

Any sign of Gin as yet? I pray he is safe.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm also hoping for Gin to return. on a down note, after enjoying a major meal and a tablecloth as a bed, Callie has once more gone MIA. I'm not too worried since he has been doing OK, but I still wish he would come back and stay. He also hisses and meows at the same time...often hissing when happy and content. Lets hope for the best for all!

Jim