My semi feral cat has disappeared

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi @Norachan,
I know how difficult this is for you. But truthfully, one can never give up. There was a local cat here that was just found after more than a year, and another after six months. It is good that you met someone who lives in the woods, there may be others, too. Gin must be getting cared for somewhere.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi @Norachan, I hope you don't mind if I check in to see if your boy has come home. I think about you and he every day, and pray he is safe.
Alex134

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @Alex134  Thank you for checking in.

No, still no sign of him I'm afraid.  
 I've decided that I'll keep looking for him until the first snow fall. I'm sure he's capable of taking care of himself, but he loved his home comforts, especially a blanket in front of the heater in cold weather.

If he isn't back by the time the cold weather starts I think I'll just have to accept that he isn't coming home.

It's been 3 months now.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:alright:

@Norachan, I know, it is hard to understand what goes through their little heads. When Redford disappeared, I couldn't understand why he would leave his comforts, regular meals, ownership of a nice garden. When I was fortunate enough to track him down, he was living under a porch with a host of ferals, the space was rank, the food was sparse because he had to wait his turn at feeding time. The neighborhood was noisy, with motorbikes, dogs barking. Not the tranquility Redford was accustomed to. Yet, he gave me a very hard time in trying to recover him. I think in the end it was hunger that drove him into that trap. A miracle. Now he is indoors, has a close friend, but is still adjusting. And it has been five months.

kimmiekat67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 11 feral cats and gradually over the past several weeks 3-4 have decided to disappear.  One of my males cats was gone over a week.  They gradually come back after a few days, but I worry about them.  One neighbor seems to think a couple are staying in one of her buildings.  Just don't get it though.  They have always stayed around the house (property).  I can count on a few being gone about 2 days but always come back.  Wondering when the weather really turns cold if they will all stick around?  Wish I could put tiny cameras on them.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@Norachan, I know, it is hard to understand what goes through their little heads. When Redford disappeared, I couldn't understand why he would leave his comforts, regular meals, ownership of a nice garden. When I was fortunate enough to track him down, he was living under a porch with a host of ferals, the space was rank, the food was sparse because he had to wait his turn at feeding time. The neighborhood was noisy, with motorbikes, dogs barking. Not the tranquility Redford was accustomed to. Yet, he gave me a very hard time in trying to recover him. I think in the end it was hunger that drove him into that trap. A miracle. Now he is indoors, has a close friend, but is still adjusting. And it has been five months.
Do you have an new picture of the handsome guy?

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I have photos, I will post one soon. Thanks for asking.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today Callie returned from a multi month absence...I haven't seen him since earlier in the summer! He showed up today like nothing happened, although the weather has turned colder and he was pretty hungry! I don't know if he will stick around for a while, but I'm hoping that your kitty will decide to return as well. Keep up the hope...Callie was gone for months and re-appeared today...maybe you will be fortunate as well!!

Jim M

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's great @JMarkitell  It must have been nice to see him again.

I always wonder if Gin will show up again one day, although it's been nearly 4 months now. It's still pretty warm here, almost hot on a clear day. We got the first sprinkling of snow on Mount Fuji last night though.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So great to know Callie has made an appearance!  @Norachan never give up.

@Zed Xyzed

Here is the recent photo of Redford. Sorry it is so grainy, it was taken at night, just has he finished his dinner.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 Someone else may be taking care of them. Ferals sometimes have more than one caretaker. Is it possible that one or more of them could be caring for a litter somewhere?

I am caring for one feral right now, Radar. When I am not around at 5 pm to serve dinner on his preferred time, he goes a couple of doors down the block and gets pampered by a neighbor. I did not know this until recently. We compared notes, and decided that we both would be available to him. Now we text each other when he shows up and report on what he has eaten. Of course, he does get two dinners some evenings and never refuses, lol!

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Redford is a very handsome cat. He looks a lot like my Archie...and Archie isn't real friendly either. From my understanding, Archie was dropped off in a box outside of a local shelter. He doesn't seem like he was well socialized to humans and is pretty picky about his interactions...although food seems to be the universal language and good mood instigator!  I was met by Callie this morning, who was sunning himself in the cold air, which is something he always seemed to enjoy. It might be the change of the weather that prompted Callie to return, since I had only seen him twice since last spring.. Callie's fur was smooth and well groomed, so he has been taking good care of himself over the summer. He ate two cans of cat food and a good sized helping of dry food in about 1 1/2 hours...I fed him a single can and handfull of dry food for breakfast...I'm hoping he is around for dinner although he was AWOL last night for dinner. He returned for breakfast so I'm hoping he will stick around for a while and get fattened up for winter!

I'm hoping that Gin and the rest of the AWOL cats come home to roost. Its discouraging to have them gone for so long, but sometimes they come back after months have passed...lets hope for the best for them!

Jim 

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That must be Archie in your profile photo. Ginger cats are amazing, so good natured and kind. Redford was obviously not socialized either, and considering he was older when I brought him in, at least 4, he is doing great. I give him his space, and he lets me know when he feels crowded. And yes, grilled chicken is the great motivator, every time!
Thanks everyone for your lovely comments about Redford, I will pass them on to him!

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you seen any sign of Gin yet? Callie has been sticking around mostly...although he still disappears for a few days on occasion. I always worry that he won't return, and just about gave up on him, when he decides to stop by and visit. What frustrates me is that I bought him a heated cat condo for the cold weather, but he won't go in it. If I put food inside, he will eat it (only when nobody is around) only to go back outside and sit in a pile of leaves 15 ft from the cat condo. I'm just happy that he is still around and considers me as one of his "trusted" humans. He actually ran out of the woods to see me the other day! I know it has been quite a while for Gin to make an appearance, but don't give up hope. One of Callie and Binks friends, known and called "Orange Cat", showed up the other day and said hello. He was wearing a collar, so it seems that someone has adopted him and taken him in...but he still came back after being MIA for a year and a half! I'm hoping that something like this has happened to Gin, and that he will show up someday to say hello. Keep the faith!

Jim

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you Jim.

No, I still haven't seen him. One of my other cats, Twinkle, managed to get out and was gone for 6 weeks. She was feral born but has been with me since she was a kitten so I was really worried about her. I walked around for hours every day looking for her, put Lost Cat posters through the door of every house in this area, left my trail camera out with bait every night. All I got on camera were deer and crows.

Then suddenly one morning she was back. I've no idea where she went, but she made it home in one piece with her collar still on. Lost a bit of weight but not injured at all.

This is Twinkle.

So I'm still hoping that Gin is OK and will come back one day.

That's nice that Orange Cat has found a home. I love to hear these happy endings.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
@Norachan

Twinkle is a gorgeous cat. I hope that Gin is with caring people that are spoiling the heck out of him. My grandmother gave me a cat when I was a teenager, she figured he was a stray. He had a nice long life living with a big family and got lots of attention. I have fourteen brothers and sisters so the cat never starved for attention.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Absolutely beautiful girl! She went to look for Gin. Wish I knew what goes on in those gorgeous little heads of theirs.