My semi feral cat has disappeared

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Figaro should be a good influence on Redford. If Figaro is venturing downstairs (which is great) then eventually Redford should as well. He should feel more confident with a friend. The fact they are running around and jumping around at night is great.

I wouldn't worry too much about feeling imprisoned. Cats just like to look out at the birds and squirrels and other animals. Now if it is combined with not eating and hiding etc I would be more concerned.

If possible I would try to play with him and also give him some special foods. I think he likes warm chicken if I remember correctly. Give him places to go high, keep giving eye kisses, talk to him softly, give him comfy places to hang out, etc. 

He may just be a little afraid of the existing cats. But I think Figaro should help in getting him more comfortable.

Thanks again for all you are doing for these cats. Redford and now Figaro are lucky cats!! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems to me that Callie may be going between two, maybe more, locations where he is cared for. Is it at all possible to trap him and have him neutered?

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are right @CalicosRSpecial, Redford is trying something new each day. As long as humans are not around. Today I found him curled up in a comfy cat bed that is lined with a soft blanket. The minute he saw me he ran off. Does not want to show me his sensitive side as yet. Redford and Figaro are totally opposite in their behaviors. They are the Odd Couple, lol!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How wonderful you were able to adopt Figaro as well.  He will be a great help and influence on Redford. 

Marvin used to sit in his room on his cat perch and stare longingly for hours at the outside.  It made me sad, but I knew that there was no way he could ever go back out unless he had an enclosure.  This gradually dissapated.  He still loved to watch outside as there was always lots of birds, squirrels and my other outside ferals.  Yet in the over 3 years he has been with me inside, he has never once been outside.  We were very cautious around doors for the first year.  Now I can stand with the door wide open and he will just sit and look. 

When you get a chance, I would love to see a recent picture of Redford too!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alex134,

I think he will come around. He had a special relationship with you outside and I don't think that ever goes away. Just talk to him, give him eye kisses, give him his favorite foods/treats, and let him do things on his terms and I think he will come around, 

I have had ferals in the past be real loving and close outside and when I brought them inside (and when they didn't need me as much) they were more standoffish. I think that is because they need us so much out in the world and now inside they don't have to worry about food and safety etc. so they tend to take us for granted a touch. But they do come around. Just talk to them, and spoil them and then they'll rub and then headbutt and then want love and the next thing you know they are a close and loving cat.

I never take it personally, I just let them adjust on their terms and give them everything I can to build their confidence and let them know they are loved and safe and secure.

Thanks again for everything you do fro your cats.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Here is Redford! This photo was taken about a month ago. I an so longing to hold him. But you are all correct, everything on his terms. Each day, I see him venturing into new spaces. He likes to go behind furniture to sleep so I make sure not to disturb him between 10 am and 3 pm. 

I have kitty overload right now-6 indoors- but I don't care. Cat trees are taking over every window space in the house!

Thanks for your reassurances.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is Redford! This photo was taken about a month ago. I an so longing to hold him. But you are all correct, everything on his terms. Each day, I see him venturing into new spaces. He likes to go behind furniture to sleep so I make sure not to disturb him between 10 am and 3 pm. 

I have kitty overload right now-6 indoors- but I don't care. Cat trees are taking over every window space in the house!

Thanks for your reassurances.
He is just stunning!!  Such gorgeous long fur.  Looks like a lion!!  I can see why you just want to give him a big hug. 

I just know he will come around.  It just takes time. 

Wow 6 indoor that is just amazing!!  You have such a kind heart!!

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@CalicosRSpecial, I think you are absolutely right  about need and taking us for granted. Redford is seeking more creature comforts of late. When he first came in  I couldn't get him anywhere near a soft cat bed and blanket. Now he uses it regularly, and the cat tree as well. 

It is a miracle I found him, he is meant to be here with me.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haaaa, yes, he is our little lion!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, Redford is really adorable!!! I can see why you bonded with him.

It is great that each day he ventures into a new space and is loving the bed and cat tree. Awesome.

I think it was destiny.  He'll come around and respond to your love.

He is a lucky cat and I think he knows it. 

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Redford is a beauty...he looks a lot like my male Archie...he might be in  my cat photo collection. Archie was a shelter adoption when he was about 12 weeks old or so. He isn't too affectionate, although he can be pretty friendly when he feels like it...on his terms. I too love to pick him up, but he doesn't enjoy or relax himself...his legs are stiff and ready to jump. When he is hungry and he is in the kitchen with me...you would swear that we were old war buddies...he purrs, butts heads, drools...a real friendly fuzzy orange cat. Once he has his fill of food or affection...zoom...off he goes to greener pastures and away fro those pesky people. Something about long hair buff cats? Archie is pretty big and heavy too. Not huge, but probably around 16 Lbs.

I'm still waiting on Callie to come back and hang around for a while. As was mentioned, he is probably hanging out at someone's house. He was a lot skinnier than he was when under my care but seemed to be in good health and not emaciated. There is a large housing plan (large for this area) about a mile away or so, so I would imagine that there are enough handouts to keep him going. I miss him but he is too wiley to get near a cage for trapping. With Ferals, it is on their terms. I consider myself fortunate that I even got to befriend this very wild and feral cat...it took 2-3 years to finally get to pet/touch him.

Its good to see Redford getting settled in...he looks comfortable!

Jim 

Last edited:

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your kind and supportive comments. All of our cats are beauties. They reflect the love and care we give them. Also, they are Naturally the most beautiful creatures in the world, in my opinion.

@jMarkitell, yes, Archie resembles Redford. He is a cutie.

Love hearing all of your experiences and advice. thank you!

Alex134

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, need some advice about Redford. It is over 3 months that he has been inside. His large crate is still set up in his room, though he is in it less and less. He has explored other rooms, and spends time napping in various places, but never on furniture. He has a cat tree, and a comfy bed which he occupies, but never in my presence. I was thinking of removing the crate from the room, but leaving his carrier, which he does use for naps.

What are your thoughts on this?

Also, @Norachan, has your boy returned?

@JMarkitell, any Callie sightings?

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think it would bother Redford too much if you removed the crate, but since he still enjoys his carrier, I would leave it until he finds another similar thing to relax and enjoy. Archie loves clothes baskets for some reason and often naps in one if it is in a public area...he likes to be around people...not necessarily with them, but around them.

It sounds like Redford needs to get more attached to you, since you say he won't enjoy his bed if you are around. I found that playing/interacting with my cat Archie made a big difference in his relationship with me. Before getting him interested in playing with a laser, he was a bit standoffish. After playing with him for a week or so, he seemed to enjoy my company a bit more and interacted with me more. He also began to sleep in the same general area that I do...before he would sleep off by himself. A jar of cat treats also helps keep him friendly, as he now wakes me up at night by pawing at me with little meows until I wake up and give him a few treats. He has learned that he needs to put up with being petted before getting his treats and he seems to enjoy it more. You are making great progress with Redford...keep up the great work...it hasn't been all that long that you have worked with Redford and you are making good progress!

Callie came by on the one evening. He enjoyed a can or two of Friskles and took a nap on the picnic table's tablecloth. By the next morning he was off again and I haven't seen him since, although I know he must still be around somewhere. I want to fatten him up for our cold winters (mountains of western Pa) so he has some insulation...he ignored the $250 heated cat condo I got for him last winter.

Jim  

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @Alex134  

No, he's still not back yet. It's been 9 weeks and 2 days now. I'm going on walks pretty much every day to look. I live in the middle of a forest so there aren't any neighbours I can ask to look out for him. On the other hand a forest with no traffic and no people is probably a safe place for him to be.

We've had a lot of very wet weather this week, two typhoons in the past 8 days. There are a few empty houses around, lots of decks and porches he could shelter under. I guess he's just lying low somewhere until he's ready to come home.

I think it will be fine if you move Redford's crate. It sounds as if he is happy with the carrier and all the other furniture to nap on.

One of the feral cats I rescued last year used to have her own enclosure and cat house. Then one day she found the cat door, came in and took a nap on the sofa and never went back out again.

It sounds as if Redford is making that transition to house cat too.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi @Norachan, thanks for your insights. Yes, Redford is making a slow transition. He has plenty of comfy places to rest, and with the crate gone there will be much more space for him to enjoy. There are plenty of places for him to climb as well. The other day I meowed at him and he squeezed his eyes, so I have been greeting him with meows. He likes it but he gives me a look like he can't figure me out.

Nine weeks is a long time to be away, and it must be hard on you. One cannot help but worry. When Redford went missing, you told me to trust in his ability to be a cat. You were correct in that. I am sure Gin has shelter, and I pray he returns soon.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi @Norachan, thinking of you and wondering if your boy has come home?
Alex134

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that you still haven't had any success in getting your kitty home. My resident Feral, Callie, made one appearance about a month ago or so and has been gone since. Its a tough job waiting for a feral to decide to come home, since you don't know if they are even still around. All that we can do is hope that they decide to return...and make it a great homecoming if/when they return.

Here's to hoping for the return of our missing furry friends!

Jim 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @Alex134  No, still no sign of him. I keep walking and calling for him, just in case he has wandered further than he usually does and got lost. I'm starting to wonder if he will come back this time. I know he was feral for a long time before we met, but he's been gone for nearly 3 months now. The last time he took off it was only for two weeks.

It's hard to know when you should give up and accept that they aren't coming back. Should I wait until the end of this month or give it a bit longer? Should I wait until we get the first snow? I guess there is no harm in me going out for long walks every day, at least I'm getting plenty of exercise.

I met an old guy who lives in the woods a couple of miles from here. He has a cat of his own and he feeds a black and white feral cat too. I showed him a picture of Gin and he promised to let me know if he shows up. You never know.