My Persian Queen Is On Her Way To Kittens!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You let them try for a bit and then give them a break from each other and see if she goes back into heat. Then try again. It isn't fair for her to be constantly attacked by him mating her over and over again. Just think of it from a humane perspective. If she isn't ready to get pregnant yet then that is life. Give her a break.

Plus what is the rush? Man breeding is such an expensive "hobby", and you barely cut even when you sell the kittens. I'm sure it will happen eventually, just take it slow.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean thats why I paid out the butt for her and him, to breed. So until she's pregnant I won't stop letting nature do its thing.
You should have their best interest in mind, not your wallet.

yeah, but how do I know if she's actually pregnant? There isn't an actual pregnancy test for cats unless you test the hormone levels in there blood, and I am certainly not getting needles and withdrawing blood from my cat. I can only do that to humans, wasn't trained to take blood on feline specimens...
This would be something your vet does. Or you wait until they are developed more and ultrasound to see how many or in there.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you do need to take a breath and a step back. These cats should be your beloved companions first, and breeding cats second. You need to do what is best for them and be patient. There could be a fertility issue, but you’re not there yet.

You can’t just allow nature to take its course. There is significantly more planning that should go into a healthy pregnancy.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is back in heat 15 days after she was bred the previous time, she is not pregnant. It is okay to breed her again, but you will want to limit the matings to one or two days and then separate the two cats, so that you have a good idea when she will be due. Also important: any time she comes in heat, before allowing the cats to breed, always check the calendar to make sure that you can be home and available for her when she will be due to have her kittens. Especially because she is a Persian, you don't want her to go in labor when you are at work or out of town, in case she has an emergency.
I mean thats why I paid out the butt for her and him, to breed.
I hope you are not expecting to make money at this hobby... breeding cats is very expensive, and most of us lose money (sometimes lots and lots of money, too).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Was she in heat or was the male just mating her regardless?

If she is already pregnant she does not need to mate further.

You should separate them until she either goes back into heat, or an ultrasound shows she is pregnant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrshunn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

So we think she is definitely pregnant now. Its been about exactly month since they last bred, her nipples seem to be more exposed and pink. So I am hoping this is the case, we've waited to bring her to the vet because some days she seems pregnant and then others she feels smaller. Ill wait till Friday and then bring her in, but heres some pics of her nipples.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrshunn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So...I woke up last Monday morning and my mother cat had a kitten overnight. Yes, just one little baby ball of fluff. Unfortunately, she gave birth to a still born kitten and this was her first pregnancy from what the breeder has said. She is 2 years 2 months and has been vet checked after the pregnancy with an x-ray to confirm no remaining kittens inside her. Now I am wondering when she will be able to be bred again with my male? The male has been mounting her the past few days, but I do not think he is actually getting inside of her. Im just wondering how soon after she gave birth she can be bred again because obviously she isn't breast feeding or taking care of a baby kitten because it died so I don't see the harm in her being bred again. Yes, for all you crazy cat people out there, all of my cats are CFA registered and I know what I'm doing but this is the nature of the business. Human births usually don't work out the first time. So please for the love of modern medicine, do not lecture me.

DaysinMaine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So...I woke up last Monday morning and my mother cat had a kitten overnight. Yes, just one little baby ball of fluff. Unfortunately, she gave birth to a still born kitten and this was her first pregnancy from what the breeder has said. She is 2 years 2 months and has been vet checked after the pregnancy with an x-ray to confirm no remaining kittens inside her. Now I am wondering when she will be able to be bred again with my male? The male has been mounting her the past few days, but I do not think he is actually getting inside of her. Im just wondering how soon after she gave birth she can be bred again because obviously she isn't breast feeding or taking care of a baby kitten because it died so I don't see the harm in her being bred again. Yes, for all you crazy cat people out there, all of my cats are CFA registered and I know what I'm doing but this is the nature of the business. Human births usually don't work out the first time. So please for the love of modern medicine, do not lecture me.
Hi

Very sorry to hear about your loss :(

Firstly, did the kitten look deformed or small in size for its age? I would have the vet run additional tests as you stated before just to be sure there arent any underlying health conditions that could have caused the still birth.

I would wait a few months, as although she did have a still birth, she was technically pregnant which puts the body under a lot of stress. My first course of action would be determining still birth and then discussing options with your vet regarding when he/she believes it will be safe. People will have all different opinions online but I think each case is personal and can only be determined by a vet based on your cats physical condition :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely not!!

Your cat has gone through a pregnancy and a birth. This takes a toll on her body, whether she is feeding the kitten or not.

She needs to be 100% separated from your male and should not have another pregnancy for quite some time. I would wait 6 months.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the CFA's missions is the enhancing and promoting the well-being of all cats. It surprises me that being registered with the Cats Fanciers' Association you do not address yourself to them instead of to us "crazy cat people". By the way since when "human births usually don't work out the first time"?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, for all you crazy cat people out there, all of my cats are CFA registered and I know what I'm doing but this is the nature of the business. Human births usually don't work out the first time. So please for the love of modern medicine, do not lecture me.
I'm not sure that you do know what you are doing. Your cat has just been through labour and you are allowing the male to try to mate with her again? This must be very uncomfortable and distressing for the cat. She needs to be kept away from the male and allowed to recover from giving birth.

Do you have a mentor who is advising you about breeding your cats? Have you been keeping a record of how often she goes into heat?

Please keep her comfort and well being in mind. She may not be suitable as a breeding queen, but you could still get a lot of enjoyment out of keeping her as a beloved, spayed pet.

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dont let him mate with her again. Just like humans after a cat gives birth her body is very sore
And at the moment the last thing she needs/wants is to have a cat force himself into her and hurt her even more than she already is. After humans have babies they dont want to have sex for weeks afterwards because its still so sore from pushing a baby out. Just out of love for your kitty keep the other cat either separated or get a spray bottle and spray him everytime he gets onto her
Cats cant get pregnant until atleast a week after they have their kittens so its basically pointless to let him do it anyway considering at this time the only thing hes doing to her is causing her pain. Pregnancy takes a toll on the cats body and mind. Becoming pregnant right after having her babies is really stressful to her and it might make her feel threatened by her kittens when she has the next litter and she could kill them...consider how your cat is feeling if you keep making it a negative experience for her she will end up hating you, the dad cat, and her kittens.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even in human pregnancies that end in miscarriage doctors do not recommend attempting to conceive again immediately. Bodies need time to heal and recuperate. Not just for the pain and discomfort factor; but nutrient resources. Babies will pull nutrients (like iron for example) they need to develop from their mothers. Mothers need time to rebuild these or risk the health of future offspring as well as the mother. You want a strong mother to be able to care for her future kittens.

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean no offense in what I am saying and am not trying to lecture you - just sharing my experiences. I would not breed her again so quickly - give her body time to heal. It is best as has been said before to only let them breed for a couple of days and under observation to prevent injuries. That way you know when to expect the kittens and can arrange to be home for delivery, which is often difficult. Something no one has mentioned before is housing the male apart from the females so you have control of breeding them. If it isn't set up so he is apart from them he will breed them continually and you could become a kitten mill instead of a cattery. Have you talked to the breeder you got your girl from about breeding? It seems logical to me that she would mentor you. Mentors do not charge for helping you. They do it out of love for the cat and for the cat fancy. I know I was EXTREMELY thankful that the breeder of my first cat was willing to help me out. I lost all but 1 of my first litter and had to bottle feed the remaining kitten every 2 hours. If my friend had not been willing to give me advice even though the queen was not from her, I would have lost that kitten too. Even after all these years, I still call her when we have a litter! One more thing, when you have a litter ready to go, be prepared on what to do if they don't sell - it happens. When we had the recession a few years ago, I ended up keeping an entire litter of 4 because when they were ready, no one wanted spend $$ on something they didn't have to have. By the time the economy improved they were part of the family so stayed. Above all, the cats welfare should be first and foremost.
I mean thats why I paid out the butt for her and him, to breed.
To be honest, this quote bothers me. Nature takes its own time and can't be rushed. I also have a cat I am waiting on to breed so I know the frustration and believe me he wasn't cheap! He is out of a national winning cat. It will happen in time, I just have to be patient. I am not breeding to make money, only to have a kitten to show.