My New Kitty Is Missing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another question.. Since she's been back she's showing interest in leaving her room. As you can imagine I'm terrified to let her out! I still haven't properly introduced them to my resident cats who stay downstairs (I'll get back to this as soon as she's had a chance to vetted and readjust) . But my question is, will she WANT to go outside again? Gosh I hope not! I had a cat once that got the outside itch and she was never happy indoors after that. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the individual. We've had cats get the itch and eventually have to be let out because they developed behavioral problems, this was when I was very young though so I if I had more of a say we might have been able to work through it. But my persian Princess was kept outside before I rescued her and now she has absolutely no desire whatsoever to go back out. She lovessss indoor life lol.
I know you own Persians but I don't remember if this little escape artist was one too, if so they seem to be pretty content with indoor life so hopefully she won't want to. She probably just wants to roam the house for exercise and curiosity purposes.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, hasn't she been spayed yet? That could have been what she was doing out there. I'd definitely recommend a vet visit to have her spayed and blood tested for FIV and FeLV as soon as possible.

Some cats do like to go out, but of course you shouldn't let her wander around on her own. Will she walk on a harness? Do you have space to make them an outdoor catio? There are lots of ways she can enjoy the great outdoors but not give you any more grey hairs.

;)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
OK, I just read one of your other threads about these two cats. I guess she is the female that you were hoping to breed from but hadn't had a heat cycle yet?

I really don't know what to suggest here. I can understand that you want to keep her intact, but if she has got out and mated with a local tom would that compromise her suitability as a mother of kittens you could sell as pedigree? I don't know much about breeding pedigree cats, but I think the first thing I'd do is get her to the vet so they can check whether she has mated/is pregnant/is likely to have a heat cycle soon.

Fingers crossed for you.

:crossfingers:

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't responded in a while. Had a lot going on last week. So since she's been back she's been VERY on edge. I was still in the beginning of getting her socialized with just me before she got scared and fled since her previous breeder/owner had not done a great job of this . She's better with my husband (as her owner was a single man) , and since coming home she was initially scared of everyone. I'm sure she had to be on the defense due to all the possible predators out there and it seems to have taken a toll on her. I was hoping to get her to the vet ASAP but with her behavior and everything she's been through, I knew it would only worsen her anxiety and behavior to put her through this right away. However, I've got her an appointment next week for the vet because she's beginning to get back to normal and not so afraid. I'm almost 100% positive she didn't mate. She hasn't had a heat yet and I believe she was holed up somewhere under my neighbors shed right outside my door the whole time and completely terrified. I think mating was the last thing on her mind. But of course I won't know for sure until I can confirm. My vet should be able to tell next week at her appointment. IF she is pregnant then no, I would definitely not sell them as purebreds. However It wouldn't compromise any future litters if I do decide to continue with the previous breeders plan and use her in my own breeding program. But I still haven't made my mind up yet as to whether or not I'm going to breed her. I'm still getting to know her and I don't want to make any rash decisions either way until I can feel more confident about my decision.

I believe I was mistaking her being afraid and on the defense as her wanting to get out of her room. Since she first got home she was very anxious when the door was opened and came to investigate each and every visitor immediately upon the door being opened, and Im mistook that as her wanting to get out. She won't leave her room at all now. Before the escape she was curious about the rest of the house but I think that too is the last thing on her mind now. She is just happy to be back in her comfort zone. She's been eating well and I going to litter box good too. No diarrhea, thank goodness! She was very thin when she got back. She's looking a lot better now!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is gorgeous! I see why you want to consider breeding her. Are you posting in the breeder's forum? The professionals are the best to advise you on this - I am a ferals' rescuer so my opinion is too slanted in the other direction.
I am glad that she is settling down. I had a young spayed female who lives outside - a stray tomcat assaulted her even though she is fixed! The vet said that some females still give off a luring scent, even after they are fixed. My cat waz traumatized - she began fighting all the other cats, even her sisters. She is better now, but if another cat gets near her hindquarters, she screeches like a banshee and attacks them and chases them - they are all careful around her. I set out my traps for that tomcat (i get them vaccinated in addition to neutering) but he disappeared. Thank Heaven all my cats are vaccinated, including their rabies shots!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
GOOD GRIEF THAT IS A LOVELY CAT! I'll cross my fingers that she hasn't come home with an "OOPS" litter! If she has, be sure to charge a high enough adoption fee to weed out those who don't take kittens as the serious commitment that they are. Consider spay/neuter before they leave, and include that fee in with the adoption.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GOOD GRIEF THAT IS A LOVELY CAT! I'll cross my fingers that she hasn't come home with an "OOPS" litter! If she has, be sure to charge a high enough adoption fee to weed out those who don't take kittens as the serious commitment that they are. Consider spay/neuter before they leave, and include that fee in with the adoption.
Thank you all for your kind words & compliments :). She's a special kitty, that's for sure! I'm just so glad to see her getting back to herself and not so terrified (like she was the first several days after being found). If she is pregnant, I'll be sure to weed out the adoptive families very carefully. Thanks for the tip! We cat lovers forget that there are those out there who's intentions aren't in line with our own... :bat:.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Awww, she is gorgeous! Am I right in thinking she is a Doll Face Persian rather that a flat face? Such a beautiful colour too.

I hope she settles back into her home soon, she looks happy enough in the pictures.

:cloud9:

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww, she is gorgeous! Am I right in thinking she is a Doll Face Persian rather that a flat face? Such a beautiful colour too.

I hope she settles back into her home soon, she looks happy enough in the pictures.

:cloud9:
Thank you! She's doing so much better settling back in. And yes, she's a little snub nose doll face. I have some Peke kitties but she's not one :creampersian: ;)

Attachments