My New Kitty Is Missing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We just had our first glimmer of hope y'all!!! After my husband and I sat in bed talking about how upset we are about all this and then getting a plan together to go print posters tomorrow, he went on out for our nightly 2am search (I stayed behind, depressed and in tears). Then low and behold he came rushing in the bedroom saying he saw the eye glare of a cat right outside of our garage underneath my neighbors walkway!!! I calmed myself and went to look, and sure enough, its a cat! Big eyed glare just like Bubbles big beautiful eye shape! So I grabbed a can of her food and walked a safe distance (as to not scare her) and opened the can. As I went to get her male companion and put him in the carrier and take him to the driveway (in hopes that he does his nightly calls to her) my husband said the cat definitely looked interested, but hasn't come to eat the food. I sprinkled some her strong smelling used litter clumps from my neighbors yard to my garage. I've got the door open so she (if it is in fact her) can get right in and go straight to her room where she's most comfortable. I tried calling her but since she hasn't been with us long and is still pretty skittish of even me, I didn't want to push my luck or scare her away by being too vocal. Any other ideas? Her mate hasn't been meowing . I'm afraid he's freaked out by being crammed in the carrier and placed outside the garage. So I brought him in but he's just inside the hallway where the garage door is open so if he does meow she'll be able hear him. Is there anything I can do right now? I'm not even positive it's her either. But my hopes are so high <3!

There aren't many cats here in my neighborhood at all, but I realize just bc I don't see them it doesn't mean they aren't around. What are the chances of this cat being her? It's sitting in one the exact spots I felt certain Bubbles would retreat.

Sorry this post is all over the place. I just so anxious and I don't want to make any mistakes during this possibly critical moment!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That does sound promising! I didn't think she would have gone too far away. I think leaving the food out for her is a great idea. It might take her a while, but hopefully the scent of her litter box will reassure her.

Even if she doesn't come in tonight you should keep putting food out for her in the same place and at the same time. That way at least you know there is no reason for her to stray further away. If she won't come in you can always set up a humane trap to catch her.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

:crossfingers:

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welp, my excitement was short lived :disappointed:. The male did do his part with his nightly calling to her but the food wasn't touched (except by ants :(), and worst of all, as I got closer to what I thought was her, I could still the round eye shine looking "lights"...which is in fact what I believe they are now. Those little garden light posts probably lining the walkway :thud:.

However, I couldn't get as close as I needed to in order to definitively identify the light source because it's right next to my neighbors bedroom window and I know that would most likely wake them (if all of our previous commotion & light shining hadn't done so already :paranoid: ).

So I guess I'm back to the first "next plan of action"... posting signs in and around the neighborhood. I've joined nextdoor and spoken to my neighbors. I've posted to all the local and neighborhood lost and found fb pages, local fb animal rescues groups, Craigslist, and called the vets and shelters. Guess it's just up to prayers and little (or a lot) of luck at this point. :sigh:

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That does sound promising! I didn't think she would have gone too far away. I think leaving the food out for her is a great idea. It might take her a while, but hopefully the scent of her litter box will reassure her.

Even if she doesn't come in tonight you should keep putting food out for her in the same place and at the same time. That way at least you know there is no reason for her to stray further away. If she won't come in you can always set up a humane trap to catch her.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

:crossfingers:
So you think I should still try the food and possibly putting him out in carrier for an hour or so each night is still a good idea? Even though I don't think all (if any) of the eyeshime was hers, I could still swear that I saw her slink quickly by for a split second as I was moving my flashlight and shaking her food jug. Either my eyes were playing tricks on me or it was indeed her, briefly at least. We kept having to come back in to either get food or the boy kitty or flashlight so there's a chance what we saw initially could have actually been her. But she just moved when we weren't looking?... My husband swears what he saw WAS a cat! I was less hopeful initially, (not wanting to get my hopes up too high just to be disappointed) then I got especially hopeless when I saw that there were garden LED's out there too and the fact that she didn't come in... :dunno:. I was certain that if it was her she would have come running as soon as I went inside and she had a clear get away to her bedroom.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats act differently to the way they usually do when they are in unfamiliar surroundings. They go into panic mode and they don't recognise the sights and sounds they usually associate with home. My cats get upset if I move the furniture around, so I can imagine how scary being outside on her own must be for her.

My cats have access to a big outdoor enclosure, but one of them managed to get over the fence recently. He didn't go far. As soon as I saw him by the fence I held the front door open for him and shook a packet of his favourite treats. It took him a good ten minutes to work out that coming in through the front door would actually lead him back into his home. He's just not used to coming in through that door. It took a lot of very cautious sniffing before he would come in.

Keep leaving the food out for her. If possible leave something that smells of her, her bedding or a brush you've used on her for example. She might not be able to work out that coming in through the door means she will be home.

A lot of people have to resort to a humane trap to get their cats back inside. Getting her used to eating in the same spot will make trapping her a lot easier if she won't come in by herself.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Catnip? Can you put up cameras? A friend of mine has a catio and has built an inclosed fence. She can't figure out how one of her strays is getting out so every day she has to move the camera. Could she be up in a tree high?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be sure you keep in close contact with Animal Control and any shelters! And when you find her, I really suggest getting both cats microchipped. It is not expensive, only mildly uncomfortable when done, and even inside cats can get out, as you so well know! Keeping those :vibes::vibes::vibes:coming your way!

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh My Gosh Y'all!!!! Y'all won't believe it, I still don't even believe it yet myself! Tears are streaming down my face as I type...thank the good Lord above though that they are happy tears!!!!! I just found my Bubbles!!!!!! She came home! Or perhaps never went that far to begin with, but with all the ground we've covered I can't help but feel that all you wonderful and kind people here at TCS played a huge role in her safe return :clap2:! Truly, from my heart, the tips, the sending of good vibes & luck, and all the prayers from you amazing folks made this possible :grouphug:!!!!

Have I truly gotten a happy ending to this horrible nightmare?! I'm beside myself y'all :angel:. "My baby is girl is really back safe and sound!" I just keep repeating to myself :catrub:.

So, I'll tell y'all how it happened... "On a dark and stormy night..." lol, no, not really ;-). That's actually the beginning of story to movie Aladdin lol . It was actually a warm and moon lit night here tonight. But As you all can probably figure, Ive cried many tears, lost sleep, gone on nightly 2-3am searches and even my hubby has been going on midnight searches before me and again at 4 am when leaves for work. I was beginning to get so depressed and saddened after each attempt (more than just hikes in the wee hours of the morning - much much more) & coming up empty each time that I was on the verge of losing hope. Not the same as stopping my desperate search, but simply beginning feeling that hopefulness disappearing. But I started on my posters this weekend & was ready to place all through the neighborhood tomorrow. Then all the sudden, (for some strange reason) I randomly decided to take some boxes up to the street for trash pickup tomorrow about an hour ago (I never do that because we are moving soon so I pretty much always keep any boxes). And this was Even after my hubby already took up all the real trash. Well I naturally called out Bubbles name, like Ive done 500 times & always do when I go outside, but this time (after the other night with the epic eye shine failure -- which nearly broke me) It was basically just force of habit & I had ZERO hope of anything coming to fruition from it. So then I saw a branch or something off to the side of my driveway near a parked car and thought "hmmmm, you never know". I even said out loud " ok, I'm talking to a branch" as I squatted down saying "Bubbles" just as repetitively as I had been since I first walked out with the boxes... And Holy Heaven from above!!! It really was her!!! She ran under the car then I slowly walked inside, grabbed her wet food and popped the top at my front door where she could see me. I placed it in the foyer and waited. It took several minutes because she WAS STARVING and didn't even realize she was home until the food was almost gone. She and her mate had a reunion like I've never seen before! It brought tears pouring from my eyes! I wished I'd recorded it y'all.
Thank you all again for all the help and reading through my novel here lol!

Xoxo; One happily reunited feline fanatic!!!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy for you that she's back! So she was gone for almost a week? Is she really skinny or do you think she caught her own food? My cat Demi escaped once, he was in the woods playing with a neighbor cat and pretended he didn't know me! He only came home because he couldn't resist kibble.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's wonderful news!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm so happy for you. She must have been able to find something to eat, but it's probably a good idea to get the vet to check her over. If cats don't eat properly it can damage their livers. She might need to be treated for worms if she picked up any mice or birds while she was out.

I hope you're going to stick around and tell us more about your two cats now they're back together. Come over and introduce them on our New Cats On The Block forum.

New Cats on the Block

Your post really made my day. I love a happy ending.

:cloud9:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
After living with you for a month she will know that your house is her home. If she has gone outside she has probably found the first hiding spot she could and is holed up there.
Put her litter box out by your garage door too, so she will be able to smell herself. You can make a trail of either litter from her box or dust from inside your vacuum cleaner around the house. Cats have a great sense of smell, they will pick up the smell of home from that.

Wait until it's dark and quiet out and make circles of your house, checking every tiny little space with a torch. Cats often get up under car wheel arches, so don't forget to check there too.

Does she get on well with her brother? You could try putting him in his carrier and sitting outside with him. He'll be able to tell if she is close by, he might call out to her if he sees or smells her.

Good luck, please keep us posted.
:hellocat: I had thought of taking the male cat outside in a harness to see if she would come out of hiding for him. I am so happy for you all. Looking forward to seeing and reading about all your fur babys.
:grouphug: :grouphug2:

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh My Gosh Y'all!!!! Y'all won't believe it, I still don't even believe it yet myself! Tears are streaming down my face as I type...thank the good Lord above though that they are happy tears!!!!! I just found my Bubbles!!!!!! She came home! Or perhaps never went that far to begin with, but with all the ground we've covered I can't help but feel that all you wonderful and kind people here at TCS played a huge role in her safe return :clap2:! Truly, from my heart, the tips, the sending of good vibes & luck, and all the prayers from you amazing folks made this possible :grouphug:!!!!

Have I truly gotten a happy ending to this horrible nightmare?! I'm beside myself y'all :angel:. "My baby is girl is really back safe and sound!" I just keep repeating to myself :catrub:.

So, I'll tell y'all how it happened... "On a dark and stormy night..." lol, no, not really ;-). That's actually the beginning of story to movie Aladdin lol . It was actually a warm and moon lit night here tonight. But As you all can probably figure, Ive cried many tears, lost sleep, gone on nightly 2-3am searches and even my hubby has been going on midnight searches before me and again at 4 am when leaves for work. I was beginning to get so depressed and saddened after each attempt (more than just hikes in the wee hours of the morning - much much more) & coming up empty each time that I was on the verge of losing hope. Not the same as stopping my desperate search, but simply beginning feeling that hopefulness disappearing. But I started on my posters this weekend & was ready to place all through the neighborhood tomorrow. Then all the sudden, (for some strange reason) I randomly decided to take some boxes up to the street for trash pickup tomorrow about an hour ago (I never do that because we are moving soon so I pretty much always keep any boxes). And this was Even after my hubby already took up all the real trash. Well I naturally called out Bubbles name, like Ive done 500 times & always do when I go outside, but this time (after the other night with the epic eye shine failure -- which nearly broke me) It was basically just force of habit & I had ZERO hope of anything coming to fruition from it. So then I saw a branch or something off to the side of my driveway near a parked car and thought "hmmmm, you never know". I even said out loud " ok, I'm talking to a branch" as I squatted down saying "Bubbles" just as repetitively as I had been since I first walked out with the boxes... And Holy Heaven from above!!! It really was her!!! She ran under the car then I slowly walked inside, grabbed her wet food and popped the top at my front door where she could see me. I placed it in the foyer and waited. It took several minutes because she WAS STARVING and didn't even realize she was home until the food was almost gone. She and her mate had a reunion like I've never seen before! It brought tears pouring from my eyes! I wished I'd recorded it y'all.
Thank you all again for all the help and reading through my novel here lol!

Xoxo; One happily reunited feline fanatic!!!
:hyper::banana1::banana2::dance::party3::beerchug::woo::party::party2::jump::jump::woohoo:

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy for you that she's back! So she was gone for almost a week? Is she really skinny or do you think she caught her own food? My cat Demi escaped once, he was in the woods playing with a neighbor cat and pretended he didn't know me! He only came home because he couldn't resist kibble.
Yep, exactly a week according to my daughter's friend (who finally fessed up to accidentally leaving the door open). She's definitely thinner but not super skinny, so yes, she either caught her own food or raided trash. Either way I'm gonna get her to the vet for a full check up!! Should I expect her BM's to be weird or runny these first few days from her diet over the last week? The only problem with her is that she's still very skittish of me and has been since I got them both a month ago. Their previous owner did not socialize them at all! That's the only reason she didn't have her bell collar on when she got scared from Great Dane and daughter's friend and was forced to flee to the nearest "safe place" (most unsafe place!), outside. So she hasn't let me feel around on her body to inspect her but I'm getting her to the vet and hopefully they can.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:hellocat: I had thought of taking the male cat outside in a harness to see if she would come out of hiding for him. I am so happy for you all. Looking forward to seeing and reading about all your fur babys.
:grouphug: :grouphug2:
Well we don't have a harness and I highly doubt he would have let me put one on him, but I did put him in his carrier and placed him outside near the garage a few nights ago. It took about an hour but he finally cried a bit. So I truly believe that combined with the scattering of the litter was what brought her back!!! All of which I would have never known to do without y'all!!:worship:

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful news!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm so happy for you. She must have been able to find something to eat, but it's probably a good idea to get the vet to check her over. If cats don't eat properly it can damage their livers. She might need to be treated for worms if she picked up any mice or birds while she was out.

I hope you're going to stick around and tell us more about your two cats now they're back together. Come over and introduce them on our New Cats On The Block forum.

New Cats on the Block

Your post really made my day. I love a happy ending.

:cloud9:
Oh yes, I will definitely come over to new cats on the block and introduce them! I forgot about that forum lol. I introduced them in "Fur Babies Pics And Videos Only" section when I first got them and posted a few times in the "Behavioral Issues" forum due their highly "scardy cat" ways and how to introduce them to my resident cats.
The boy had finally warmed up to me before all the company and chaos last week and I was so happy to be making baby steps of progress with him. After Bubbles got lost we had to accommodate even more company from out of state (previously made plans for 4th of July). So I had to put him in a different room to accommodate our company, as the cats room is our only "guest" room . After that he hissed at me for the first time and wouldn't let me pet him anymore :(. I immediately put him back in his room after everyone left! He still wasn't himself but now that Bubbles is back he's on cloud 9!!! He was so happy to see her he wouldn't even eat! He just sniffed and played and groomed her! Goober is 2 and Bubbles 1 and theyve grown up together. They were born in the same house and have never been separated!

But yes, I'd love to hear y'alls suggestions and responses on my previous posts in other forums if you happen to see them. No big deal though. I'll introduce them in the proper place too ;)

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Well we don't have a harness and I highly doubt he would have let me put one on him, but I did put him in his carrier and placed him outside near the garage a few nights ago. It took about an hour but he finally cried a bit. So I truly believe that combined with the scattering of the litter was what brought her back!!! All of which I would have never known to do without y'all!!:worship:
:cloud9::catrub: