My New Kitty Is Missing

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been frantic for almost 24 hours now. I got two new adult cats about a month ago, a male & female. With it being the 4th of July we have out of town company staying with us and their Great Dane. I went up to the cats room (I've been keeping them in a separate room upstairs since I have resident cats I've been waiting to introduce them to) and I noticed the cats room was open. Then I went in and couldn't find them anywhere. I immediately went into a panic and began calling them (they are very skittish of people, including myself). Since they ARE so skittish it wouldn't be outlandish for them to hide from me and not come when called. Well after about 30 minutes of looking my daughter shouted downstairs that she'd found the male. He was in the hallway (near the garage) and ran right into his room. He was starving and ate a whole bowl of food! But still no sign of the girl :frown:. The garage door & the front door have a tendency to pop open from drafts in the house if the deadbolts aren't locked, and with all the company going in and out they've been unlocked. I'm so scared she got outside. Since then it's stormed twice and she doesn't even know where she lives yet. She's never been outside in her life. My husband keeps saying he's positive she didn't go outside (bc that's not like her) but after he and I both searched the house I know she's not here. If she was in hiding she would have come out to eat by now. With the big dog being here that would have been enough to have scared her to run outdoors if she saw him. Even though we've kept the dog downstairs and away from the cats room upstairs, I can't say if the guests were as vigilant about ensuring the dog didn't go up the steps as I would be. I'm so worried about her!!! I've put food in the garage and left the garage door open in case she's hiding in there. I don't know what else to do. :(

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Cats are MASTERS at hiding. Your hubby may very well be right. She may be in the house. One of my cats was so good at hiding that I swore he got out. He did not. If they are hiding and they do not want to come out, they won't. Look EVERYWHERE.Even places you think she cannot fit. They can fit into places you'd never think of like behind furniture. Mine climbed on top of a roll top desk and jumped down behind it. I also used the dog to sniff him out. She found him in a second. See if the dog (on a leash) can find him. You may be surprised. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you!!! Having someone else agree with him at least puts my mind (somewhat) at ease. I just worry so much that if she had somehow gotten outside, she'd never find her way back! But she's never ever shown interest in going outdoors according to her previous owner. And I would think if she'd gotten out , either by being scared of the dog or a guest, I can't imagine her going past the deck. There are an abundance of hiding places from the rain or the dog right outside my door (between my house and my neighbor). But I've looked in all of them. My neighbors are also keeping an eye out.

If she is inside hiding or close by outdoors, how long will it take for her to get hungry enough to come out of hiding & come back for food? I placed food and water in the garage and left the big garage door open. I'm so surprised she wasn't with her male companion yesterday though. They are inseparable for the most part . I was sure I'd find her sitting where he was when he ran down the hall to his room. The only logical explanation is that she got scared and jetted. Then the storm came and she ran further to seek a dry retreat. But why didn't she just come back?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could take her a little bit to gain enough confidence to come back or out, whichever. I looked for my cat once for THREE DAYS in a two room apartment, not a sign of her, then late at night on the third day she sauntered out from, apparently, another dimension. IF she got out, there is a good chance that she is still right around your house. Go out at night with flashlights to see eyeshine. Sometimes that will let you find them when nothing else does.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . This too gives me even more hope. They've been shooting off fireworks for th past hour and I'm really getting worried. I'm praying that she's inside. Because IF she's not, I'm so scared she's going to flea further and further from safety. I appreciate the positive hope y'all are giving me though. It's put my head and heart at rest. I've been looking with the flashlight since last night but like a goof ball I didn't turn the lights completely out. I was just checking/ looking behind boxes and in and inaccessible areas with it. I'll be sure to turn the lights out tonight when I look throughout the house and outside. Please send positive vibes she's not outside, especially tonight!!! :sweat:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been frantic for almost 24 hours now. I got two new adult cats about a month ago, a male & female. With it being the 4th of July we have out of town company staying with us and their Great Dane. I went up to the cats room (I've been keeping them in a separate room upstairs since I have resident cats I've been waiting to introduce them to) and I noticed the cats room was open. Then I went in and couldn't find them anywhere. I immediately went into a panic and began calling them (they are very skittish of people, including myself). Since they ARE so skittish it wouldn't be outlandish for them to hide from me and not come when called. Well after about 30 minutes of looking my daughter shouted downstairs that she'd found the male. He was in the hallway (near the garage) and ran right into his room. He was starving and ate a whole bowl of food! But still no sign of the girl :frown:. The garage door & the front door have a tendency to pop open from drafts in the house if the deadbolts aren't locked, and with all the company going in and out they've been unlocked. I'm so scared she got outside. Since then it's stormed twice and she doesn't even know where she lives yet. She's never been outside in her life. My husband keeps saying he's positive she didn't go outside (bc that's not like her) but after he and I both searched the house I know she's not here. If she was in hiding she would have come out to eat by now. With the big dog being here that would have been enough to have scared her to run outdoors if she saw him. Even though we've kept the dog downstairs and away from the cats room upstairs, I can't say if the guests were as vigilant about ensuring the dog didn't go up the steps as I would be. I'm so worried about her!!! I've put food in the garage and left the garage door open in case she's hiding in there. I don't know what else to do. :(
Join NextDoor and post her. It's people that live neat you. Hope you find her

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
After living with you for a month she will know that your house is her home. If she has gone outside she has probably found the first hiding spot she could and is holed up there.

Put her litter box out by your garage door too, so she will be able to smell herself. You can make a trail of either litter from her box or dust from inside your vacuum cleaner around the house. Cats have a great sense of smell, they will pick up the smell of home from that.

Wait until it's dark and quiet out and make circles of your house, checking every tiny little space with a torch. Cats often get up under car wheel arches, so don't forget to check there too.

Does she get on well with her brother? You could try putting him in his carrier and sitting outside with him. He'll be able to tell if she is close by, he might call out to her if he sees or smells her.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Once we drove around the neighborhood calling out for our cats, thinking they were lost, my mom printed off lost signs, we thought they were gone, and here someone had accidentally locked them in the attic for 3 days. So you never know. Once things settle down, she may come out if she's hiding. And the litter box is a good idea. I always tell people to leave the box outside.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not to distract from your worry but I really do lose Miss Kitty every single day. I can't find her, I don't know where she does. I have literally no idea and no matter how hard I look for her I can't find her. Then poof. She appears. Cats are excellent hiders, and if they don't want to be found then they won't until they're ready.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After living with you for a month she will know that your house is her home. If she has gone outside she has probably found the first hiding spot she could and is holed up there.

Put her litter box out by your garage door too, so she will be able to smell herself. You can make a trail of either litter from her box or dust from inside your vacuum cleaner around the house. Cats have a great sense of smell, they will pick up the smell of home from that.

Wait until it's dark and quiet out and make circles of your house, checking every tiny little space with a torch. Cats often get up under car wheel arches, so don't forget to check there too.

Does she get on well with her brother? You could try putting him in his carrier and sitting outside with him. He'll be able to tell if she is close by, he might call out to her if he sees or smells her.

Good luck, please keep us posted.
I will try the litter box for sure. Her male companion has been trying to escape his room. I think he's wanting to go find her. But after losing him (briefly) as well (and at least finding him), I'd be utterly heart broken if he somehow went missing too! I'm just too afraid to let him out, even just in the house ,as we still have company. Plus, he doesn't know me well enough to come to me in demand either. Maybe I will when company leaves with Great Dane. But the cat carrier is a great idea! Should I do it at night? His carrier isn't very big. And that's the only completely enclosed cage/crate thingy I have. It's big enough to fit a food bowl in there with him.

I did the nextdoor thing maggie101 maggie101 . Thank you for that. I had no idea something like that existed. Posted her pic there and also on fb lost and found pets in my area.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not to distract from your worry but I really do lose Miss Kitty every single day. I can't find her, I don't know where she does. I have literally no idea and no matter how hard I look for her I can't find her. Then poof. She appears. Cats are excellent hiders, and if they don't want to be found then they won't until they're ready.

No distraction at all! That's actually giving me a hopeful & positive outlook :updown:

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just can't imagine her not getting hungry and coming out by now (if she were in the house). :sigh:
She knows where her bedroom is and I left food all throughout the house but none has been touched.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Don't leave the boy cat outside alone in his carrier. Even in a carrier he'd be too vulnerable to loose dogs or other wildlife. Wait until things quieten down at night and then sit out there with him in the carrier for an hour or two. If you think seeing you will scare the girl cat off you could leave him just outside the garage door and sit further back inside yourself. That way she won't catch sight of you straight away, but you'll be there to step in should anything happen.

Have you thought about using a pet detective? Some of them have dogs trained to sniff out lost cats. I haven't used one myself, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok Norachan Norachan , that sounds like a great approach. I went out at 1am last night with a flashlight gently calling her and shaking her food jug. I couldn't cover nearly enough ground as I'd like to. There's A LOT of super thick woods and vegetation overgrowth around my house, so it's virtually impossible to look in those areas. My husband has been driving around looking at dawn each day but I'm sure the car scares her away if she were close enough for him to see her (sigh). I've also scattered her used litter around the outside of the house.

I love the idea of the pet detective but I know something like that isn't in our budget.

Thank you for all the prayers guys! I've been saying them constantly myself.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another 2-3 am walk (hike) tonight. My husband accompanied me this time. I'm afraid he's losing hope that she's inside the house after this long. We've put her male companion in just about all the rooms and he's called but no bubbles response. I feel so guilty and awful I just wanna cry:bawling:. I keep thinking of all the things I could have done differently.. please know I'm simply venting , and I know in my heart of hearts that it was something that could have happened to anyone. I'm just sick... Please keep prayers coming. I'm printing up flyers and posting them this weekend.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. I just asked for maintenance at my apt. My porch door does not always close when I shut it. My old cat with pancreatitus has gotten out many times. She looks like a feral cat with leukemia. I got a tag but it was so annoying to hear it every time she jumps on the counter so I took it off. After reading this I will get my cats micro chipped