My Journey Towards Better Health

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
- :) Canned beans are already cooked. Just drain and serve. Cold on salad, add them after pasta is cooked. Canned peas are also good with pasta !

~ Yes gradually add fiber to the diet - not all at once.
They are great on pasta! And you can add anything to those two ingredients, to taste, and as your diet allows, such as pasta sauce of your choice, onions, spices...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not meaning to butt in and/or contradict, but I was always taught that heat is not to be used when there is any possibility of infection.
You are correct if you have an infection or swelling. You should use ice then. However, since the staples are out, the wound is not open and there should be no infection. If there is, @maggidemi needs to get to the hospital...now.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever you feel stressed, do something to distract yourself from the medical stuff a minute. You’ve gotten wonderful information here. You know to take it easy, eat a simple balanced diet with protein and follow up with your doctor. I love the bone broth recipe and all the other great food tips. Yum! I love my heating pad. Lol It totally helps with any pain.
Maybe now would be a good time to try something on that new IPad? Play with kitties? How about sitting outside for a minute or just a little stroll around the yard? :) Being outside just to relax is always calming for me. Maybe it would be for you too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you going to try one when you are cleared to?
I'm thinking about trying it at least once. Dad's order cost $9 total, but he also got fries. I don't know how much the fries cost.

Did you try to get an earlier appointment? Or was this done by your case worker?
My caseworker Nicky did everything for me. That's the earliest appointment she could get. So do I just call up and ask to be put on the cancellation list, if anyone cancels?

Have you tried journalling? This has always helped me. I write down exactly how I feel, what I am going through.
I did a little bit this week during the long nights when I'm alone with Demi. When I wake up and read it in the morning, some of the stuff is weird! Like stuff that obviously didn't happen, must have been a dream. :headscratch:

a heating pad helped me immensely. You could try that.
My mom has one, I'll try it. Thanks.

Canned beans are already cooked. Just drain and serve.
Do you rinse the salt off?

However, since the staples are out, the wound is not open and there should be no infection.
I asked if it was infected when they took the staples out, but they said no.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
M maggiedemi : regarding canned beans, just wanted to mention, in case you're weren't aware, that there's 2 kinds of canned beans.

1. This kind is like homemade baked beans. You do not drain or rinse, but just dump in a pot and heat. They typically can be eaten with oatmeal brown bread, (or other bread) for a "beans and bread" meal. Eating the beans and bread together makes a complete protein for a vegetarian/vegan diet. they do not have to be cooked, but heating naturally makes them taste better.

Baked beans will have some sort of sauce (like tomato) which is why you don't rinse or drain before eating.

An example of baked beans is:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/4-Pack-Bush-s-Best-Original-Baked-Beans-8-3-Oz/793435298

2. The other type of canned beans, just contains beans in liquid. There is no flavouring or sauce, and these are the ones that should be rinsed and drained before eating. You just open the can, dump the beans (liquid included) into a colander or strainer, and run tap water over them for a minute or so. They are already cooked so are ready to use in whatever recipe you like, such as soups, beans and rice, on top of salads, etc.

These beans have many different types like red kidney beans, black beans, chickpeas, etc.

Here's a couple examples:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hanover-Light-Red-Kidney-Beans-Reduced-Sodium-40-5-Oz/51762360

https://www.walmart.com/ip/4-Pack-Bush-s-Best-Black-Beans-26-5-Oz/747196319

edited post to put links from walmart.com

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing swollen is my feet and legs from the high blood pressure.

a little stroll around the yard?
I did that on Monday when I was feeling so good. If I feel well enough, I will try it again. I just hope I don't encounter that mean cat that tried to attack Demi through the window screens. Maybe he only hates cats, not people.

2. The other type of canned beans, just contains beans in liquid. There is no flavouring or sauce, and these are the ones that should be rinsed and drained before eating. You just open the can, dump the beans (liquid included) into a colander or strainer, and run tap water over them for a minute or so. They are already cooked so are ready to use in whatever recipe you like, such as soups, beans and rice, on top of salads, etc.

These beans have many different types like red kidney beans, black beans, chickpeas, etc.
What if I want to just eat the beans plain? If I dump out the water and rinse off, how can I heat them up? Just add fresh water?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned veggies can be eaten straight of the can. Add them to pasta, salads, taco filling, etc. You can warm the drained and rinsed veggies on the stove or in the microwave. Add flavorings if you wish, like spices or butter.

Same goes with frozen veggies although you want to thaw and warm them up. A quick soak in hot water for a few minutes works. Or if the veggies will be going into something you're already cooking on the stove, add the frozen veggies to the pot during the last 5 minutes or so of cooking.

TheKitchn.com is a good web site with articles and recipes and general kitchen tips especially for a newbie cook.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The water you soaked the beans in will give you gas. Julia Child said to always pour it out.

M maggiedemi - You don't have to make a high protein diet complicated. Just eat some kind of meat with every meal.

If your case worker hasn't called you back with an appointment, call the PCP yourself. You don't have to have your mother with you for a family history. Just tell the PCP what you know.
You don't need to eat meat with every meal. Eggs, dairy and vegetables also have protein.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need prayers. I'm headed back to the ER. My caseworker can't get me in with my primary care doctor until Oct. 10th. She told me to go to the ER for help with my high blood pressure and my feet swollen like bowling balls. She said to go to the same entrance I went to in the ambulance that first night. She said not to go to the entrance that had the young ER doc who only gave me the shot that lasted 1 day. So I'm hoping going to the different entrance will make a difference and they will prescribe me something. My friend mention asking for Lasix. This is all so confusing. I hope this all passes soon and that I can start to get healthy. Love you guys.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to say that even if they put you on meds for high bp, you won't necessarily be on them forever. Fiancé was on them for a while, but doesn't take them now. We've also been working out and eating better since then. Right now you need rest and have dietary restrictions, so do what you need to get better and once that occurs you can try some more natural things to get your bp down.

Praying for you. :vibes::heartshape:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*PRAYERS* for you M maggiedemi , for your ER visit and for that swelling to be brought down. And Lari Lari is so right -- these things can be temporary. You may (or may not) have some lifestyle changes to maintain health, but that's not for right now. Right now is just getting you stabilized and eating/drinking the things that will help you heal!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
GLAD you are getting the edema looked at...I hope it will get you some answers..you shouldn't be that swollen...Lasix is one med they do use for edema-but it depends on the situation. My sister was on it for a long time as she had heart issues and fluid in her lungs..her ankles weren't too swollen but looking back, my mother had edema issues and yes she complained about the same thing, about her skin being swollen...make sure they check out your heart.. So very sorry you are still not feeling well :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::grouphug2::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so terribly sorry to hear you had to make another ER visit. :frown: I'm sure this is the last thing you wanted to happen but perhaps you can inquire about seeing a dietician while you are there for treatment. Fingers, toes and all four paws crossed for you. :crossfingers: :greenpaw: :bluepaw: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it goes well! There are lots of medications for high blood pressure and sometimes results are very individual, particularly with differences/changes in diet, exercises, stress, and other factors. The big thing is to get started, as you're doing! And, as neely neely said, it would be great if they could refer you to a dietitian while they're at it. Fingers crossed here, too!

I'm also glad your case worker is looking out for you, M maggiedemi , that's really important.