My Jasmine Was Taken Away From Us Way Too Soon

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our angel went back to Heaven, way too soon

I have been wanting to write this for Jasmine, for a year now, and couldn't bring myself to do it. My heart is in shreds...I have a hard time thinking about her, looking at her pictures or video, without tears. Some of ya'll might remember us losing our sweet girl Sadie in 2016, I have a memorial to her here. Well, after she passed, I was lonely, heart broken, and lost my joy.
I couldn't think of getting a new baby for awhile, but about two months later, my wife's cousin told us of a friend of her's, that had a momma cat that had kittens. The lady posted pictures of the two she had left on Facebook. I was in love immediately, when I saw the little girl with spots on her belly, and a letter M, over her eyes. I hadn't had a tabby since I was in first grade, so I was excited to say the least. I was shocked and surprised when my wife suggested maybe we should get both, so they wouldn't be seperated, and the one white one left alone. She wasn't much of a cat person when we married, but Sadie changed her mind. Then to put the icing on the cake, we found out the girls were born on July 2nd, Sadie had passed on July 1st. It was like it was more than a coincidence, it was a sign.
We went to the ladies house, and saw them, and decided we had to have both. My wife drove her car, so I was free to talk to them, on the way home. When we got them in the house, the first thing they did was scratch on the spikey welcome mat, and lay down on it. From then on, Jasmine scratched on it every time, before we went outside, which wasn't until a few months later.
At first we thought Jasmine was the runt of the litter, because she seemed smaller than Lily, her sister..and looking back at some video now, I am sure she was. There was a pecan on the floor in the kitchen, Lily played with, and Jasmine just sat to the side watching, since her sister was the dominant one. That changed fast, at first I heard Jasmine growl at Lily when she walked up to the food bowl Jasmine was eating out of. Then she just became the more dominant one, but she wasn't mean to Lily at all. In fact Lily was the sneaky little poot, who would go up to Jasmine, and start licking her around her neck and head, then she would all of a sudden bite Jasmine on the neck, Jasmine retaliated quickly, and Lily would run.
Jasmine seemed to attach herself to me, from the start, and I guess Lily not wanting to be reprimanded, kind of took to my wife more. If Lily was on th couch, and I was there, when Jasmine came into the room, she hurriedly jumped down, and walked away. Right away, Jasmine started trying to suckle on the underside of my arm. I didn't know what to do, I have never had that happen before. I would just gently nudge her away with my hand, and say, "Let's don't do that little girl", because it would start to feel very sensative from her teeth, I guess. Then I would take a folded napkin and have to wipe the drool off of my arm. It became her morning ritual, every single day, even her last. Firs thing in themorning, when I got up, and we opened the door to their room, Jasmine would run into the bathroom with me, jump up on the sink, face me, and I would lean down, where she would rub one side of her face against mine, then I would turn my head, and she would rub the other side of her face against mine, then she would wait for me to turn on the water, and then she drank from around the drain. If the stopper was there, she would take her paw, and keep pulling at it, until she pulled it out, and rolled it off the vanity, onto the floor. When I got a drink of water, I would take what was left in my cup, and slowly pour it into the drain, as she drank it. Then it was to the couch, for the suckling ritual. At first, she would lay across my lap, and suckle on my right arm, for maybe 5 seconds, until I told her not to, then she would switch sides, lay across my lap, and do the same to the other arm. I had to keep a folded napkin on the coffee table to wipe my arms off afterward...then she usually would go to sleep laying beside me.
After my wife would go to work, at 6am, most days, I would lie back down on the couch, and nap for about an hour, before I got up, and started my day. As soon, as I would lie down, here would come Jasmine, jump up on the couch with me, get against my chest, and lay her head on my arm...as close as she could. If I opened one eye, all I could see was a big kitty nose.
Starting in December or January, I would take the girls outside in the carrier, to the veggie garden. It was surrounded by a 4 foot high chicken wire fence, with a gate. I would let the girls out, and watch them, play, and explore for an hour, then we would go back inside. They were so funny watching them feel the dirt under their feet for the first time. Lily ran down a row, swishing her front paws back and forth, feeling the loose soil, and slinging and small pebbles in all directions.
Finally, we started going outside for the day, I always carried my small shotgun, in case of stray dogs, or something. We were like our own pride (like lions), when I opened the door, Lily would run out on the patio, Jasmine was more cautious, and would hang back on the steps, until I went down. Then both girls would stay on the patio, checking out everything, until I made sure it was safe. As I walked out into the yard, or down the driveway, to the garden, they would wait until I was about 30 feet away, and then come running. Jasmine always ran past me, sound like a horse thundering past, with Lily not far behind, but not running. Then they would both smell of everything, as they waited for me to catch up. If we were walking, and Jasmine stopped to check out a bug, or something, andme and Lily got a little ahead of her, where she couldn't see me, she would start calling, Meep! Meep!, it was so cool. The last week she was with us, her voice had changed, I was on one side of the house, and she was on the other (indoors), and I heard her maow! maow!.
We all enjoyed our days out together. My little girls were so gentle, they found a rabbit's nest, right up against the side of the house. It was around the corner, and next thing I knew, Jasmine came up to me, and gently laid a baby rabbit at my feet. It didn't have so much as a scratch on it, then a few minutes later, Lily did the same thing. They never hurt them, but I think the mother might have abandonded them, so I took them to a wildlife rescue. Then at lunch time, I would go inside to fix my lunch, and the girls waited for me on the patio. I would come out, and walk around the house, to the front porch. As soon, as I was about to go around the corner to the front, Jasmine would come blasting past me, thundering like a horse again, she would go a few feet ahead of me, and stop, then walk up to the side of the porch, jump up, and lay down. I would eat, and Lily would lay under the trees right in front of the porch, and Jasmine would lay up on the porch, not far from me...sometimes they would both lay up there together, close by.
My wife came home from work about 4pm, but me and the girls stayed out, until 6-7pm. We would go in, the girls would get snacks (I wanted to do this, so hopefully they would be ready to go in everyday) and me and my wife would eat dinner. Most of the time, my wife would come and get one, and I would get the other. Lily was always the mischievious one, the one who jumped on the dining room table (and laid across it, like it was a bed!), the one who jumped on the kitchen counter, and the one who liked to play those "chase me" games when it was time to go in. Jasmine would stand back and watch, then sometimes she would try, or do what Lily did...but if I scolded her about it, she never did it again, she didn't like daddy to scold her. Jasmine never tried to run from me, she would either just lay down on the ground when I walked up to her, or she would come to me, to be picked up. Lily always struggled a little, then settled down, Jasmine almost never struggled, then as we were going in, I would say, "We have to go in now, there are critters that like to get little girls when it gets dark, and we can't let any critters get our little girls!" Usually, I think they were tired after a day of that, they would get snacks, go and flop down and rest awhile, then later that night, they would play amongst themselves in the dining room, and the enclosed backporch (we left a door cracked open, so they could come and go when they needed, the litter box was on the porch also).

As time went along, Jasmine liked being outside more, and more... Lily would sometimes go inside and take an hour nap, and come back out, Jasmine never did. We live in an old farm house, built in the 1800's, since I became disabled, I started metal detecting around the yard. Jasmine became my metal detecting partner, she would follow me all around, when I dug a hole, sometimes she would pounce it it, then dig a couple times, then back up, and watch me dig in the hole.

And then the last day, started out so great, but ended so horrible. It was the worst day of my life. There are many things that didn't add up, that make me think Jasmine, was way more than just a special girl in our lives... for one, look at her in the pictures, she had a small belly, but her nor Lily were fat at all. I took Jasmine to the doctor to get a tick off her fanny, at the end of May, they said she weighed 10 pounds. The last few weeks, when I would pick Jasmine up, she felt so heavy, I was afraid I would hurt her, so I would lean back, and lay her against my chest, which was usually only about 15 seconds anyways. Liyl a month ago, weigh 12 pounds, and I still think Jasmine was a lot heavier, I wouldn't be surprised at 20. It was a hot day in July, July 1st to be exact... I had been dreading this day somewhat, because it was the first anniversary of Sadie's death, but I wasn't as bad as I thought I would be...I guess, because as time passed, I realized with Sadie's age, it was just her time, no matter what me, or anyone else did to try and save her. Me, and the girls didn't go out so early, because my wife gaveme a haircut that morning, and then I showered, had lunch, then we went out. We weren't out but an hour or so, and Lily went inside, me and Jasmine were metal detecting the back yard, under the shade of the pecan trees. I would stop and sit in a chair for a little bit cooling off, and Jasmine would be lying close by. Finally, I got up, and started again...we were getting to the end of the yard, and I dug one of those holes, and Jasmine pounced init, as usual, then she laid down, and panted a few seconds. I told her, "Are you thirsty little girl, why don't you get a drink?" Well, then I got close to the edge of the woods, and Jasmine walked into the bushed, where I could see her move, but couldn't see her. Then she stepped out, looked at me, and gave a low "meow", I was shocked, her nor Lily were vocal at all, they never meowed, except maybe once, when they were getting snacks. I said, "Are you talking to me, little girl?" And she did another low meow, I said, "I love you too!", and she gave me the winky eyes. Then I noticed it was almost 5:30, and I had to grill dinner, so I said, "let's go, so daddy can fix us some dinner." She went and laid under my truck, which she did a lot, if I was on the patio doing something, or in thekitchen, where she could see me from where she was. I went and got her water bowl, and put a few pieces of ice in it, and she wouldn't come out from under the truck, so I held the bowl of water down, and she came and drank a good bit. Then I went and fixed the food, and started down to the grill. The grill was only about 50 feet from the back door, on the other side of an outbuilding, and there was a big bradford pear tree, growing right up beside it.I could walk right down to the grill, in the grass, or go down the driveway a bit, around the building and down to the grill. As I went down the grassy way, both Jasmine, and Lily, coming out from her nap, followed me. As I grilled the food, they played around the area, Lily always keeping a little ahead of Jasmine, like she was chasing her, but they were walking. Another thing was, Lily was always alert, you couldn't sneak up on her no matter how hard you tried, Jasmine on the other hand, always stayed close to something, like she was hiding, my big pot with my lime tree, or a big pot of peppers, or the greenhouse. When I finished the food, I started walking to the house, going up, and down the driveway, before I got to it though, the girls were up close to it...Jasmine was sitting looking right at me, like the pic you see of her in the garden, Lily waslaying on the ground, about 10 feet away. I said, "Come on girls! I'm done, it's time to go in!", they both looked at me, and neither moved. I just thought, well, I will bring the food, in the house, and we'll come back for them. I got in the house, and it was already about 7:20pm, I thought, "wow, I didn't know it was so late already", and I started messing with a pot, to put on the stove to cook something else. I looked up, and it was 7:30pm, I thought, well, it won't hurt for them to get a few extra minutes. 7:45pm, my wife come in, and said, "Do you want me to start getting the girls in?" I said, "Yes, we better"... She went ahead, then I heard hysterical screaming, I grabbed my gun, and run outside...my wife was running around in circles, I couldn't make any sense of what she was saying, she just kept pointing to the other side of theoutbuilding, and I heard Jasmine. I go around to the other side, and there is my baby, lying on the ground, dead, I reached down and lifted her head slightly, and knew there was no hope. Then I relaized, where is Lily? I yelled to my wife, and she hadn't even thought of her, we started calling, and Lily came down the roof of the outbuilding. It is very low to the ground, she came to me, and I lifted her off, and we took her in the house, she seemd okay, but when I went to walk up by the building, and got to the corner, where I could see Jasmine, Lily did too, ashe was petrified, she started scrambling, and about clawing me to death. I had to turn away, so she couldn't see her. My poor Lily was so alone, and for the next 3-4 days, I found where she had thrown up her food, twice. There was no hairballs, I have no doubt she was grieving for her sister.

Of course I was beyond upset, and crying my eyes out...it was starting to get close to dusk, I knew I couldn't bury Jasmine that day, so I got a trash bag, and put her in it, and put her in the spare freezer. And then it was worse, it rained every day for 3 weeks, so we weren't able to bury my baby until July 28th.
My wife said maybe Jasmine was an angel, and when she talked to me, she was telling me bye, it was time for her to go. I know I prayed hundreds of times to God, to keep my babies safe, and let them have long happy lives like Sadie did. I don't understand why he let things happen as they did. I hurt for myself, I hurt for Lily, who I had hoped to grow up, and grow old with her sister...I also hurt for Lily, because she saw and heard her sister being killed...I hurt for Jasmine, who ws only 15 yrs old in human years, and 1 day from her first birthday. We had planned a big day for the girls, to give them many special snacks during the day... We eneded up with me and my wife not able to eat or sleep for 2 weeks after. I was in a deep depression for the last year... I still find it hard to believe something so horrible, and sad could happen to us. Jasmine was the most loving, and beautiful little girl I have ever had... my only consolation is I will see her again one day. Why was my Sadie able to be safe, and free here for 10 years, and my poor Jasmine couldn't make a year?

We got a little boy, Jethro two weeks after our tragedy, to help stave off the sadness. He is a sweet boy, that lost his mother at a tiny age. He and Lily both weigh 12 pounds now, and I still say Jasmine weighed a lot more than that. The picture you see of her sitting in the garden, looking directly at me, I took about a week before she was gone. That is the exact way she was looking at me, the last time I saw her, when I told the girls to come on, let's go in the house...and twenty minutes later she was gone. We lost Sadie July 1st, 2016, and Jasmine July 1st 2017.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello -
Thank you for sharing about Jasmine, I'm really glad you did.
You had such a special bond, and I'm so happy to hear that her passing didn't close your heart to Jethro.
Hopefully you and your wife, Lily and Jethro are ok now. That's what Jasmine and Sadie would want - for you to remember the joy and happiness, and not to let the whole of their lives be just that last bit.
RIP Jasmine, you didn't have a lot of time but you showered your people with love. :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Jasmine, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I'm weeping just a bit, so forgive me if I am a little disjointed. The deepest Truth I know is that love never dies. It changes form, and continues on, still Love. Love abides, and Jasmine is with you still and always. What I have no truth for, although I sense there is one, is why she was here such a short time. However, I do know this, that she couldn't have had a more loving home, or more devoted human parents if she had chosen them out of a catalogue, and perhaps she did. I also know that she is thrilled that you honor her love for you by bringing Jethro into your home and hearts, because love shared is not divided, it is multiplied.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sadiesdad sadiesdad ,
I read through your post like I was reading a book, and I was so involved in the reading that I was dreading to read the end.
I knew it was not a happy ending, my nerves were tense.

I'm so sorry that the poor Jasmine left you in such a horrible way. Did you find out what killed her? Or is it just me that hasn't caught it?
It's terrible that she went to the Rainbow Bridge on the same day that Sadie did.

You say that Jasmine kind of said you good-bye short before she was gone.
This reminds me of when my Romeo looked at me through the window less than hour before he was run over by a car.

I think they know when their time is up, no matter if it's a disease or an accident. They do know.

Jasmine was with you for less than a year, but filled your life with happiness and memories as she lived 20 years. She was rich inside, and left that richness to you so that you could tell others how wonderful she was and how lucky you have been.

RIP Jasmine, you were loved much more than any other kitten could say.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We cant decide on our own life, let alone the other Creatures one.

Why an event comes after another one, why a 2 months baby leaves us, while a 80 old man full of 20 sicknesses is still happy and alive - we are not allowed to understand.

In the wilderness, a cat may survive or not, depending on circumstances that we simply cant understand.

Still, there is a Reason in every event, in every good or bad we experience. Sometimes, the sadness prevent us ti see the Reason.

===
Once upon a time, an old man managed to got a child. Everyone in the village says "What a happy man". But unfortunately, that child proved to be limp. So everyone in the villages said: "What sad should be his father!"

But after a while, a war started and all boys were conscripted and sent to the battle and most died. Except for the limp boy, who was not conscripted, because he was, well, limp. So everyone said "What a happy father!"

...and the story goes like that, has no end.

===
You share a sad story. Remember everything has a Reason. Our life has to be useful for other Creatures, either humans, cats or dogs or something.

It is a time to cry and is a time to get back to our life, which do no belong to us.

Tears here and my respect to the Father of Cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sadiesdad sadiesdad ,
I read through your post like I was reading a book, and I was so involved in the reading that I was dreading to read the end.
I knew it was not a happy ending, my nerves were tense.

I'm so sorry that the poor Jasmine left you in such a horrible way. Did you find out what killed her? Or is it just me that hasn't caught it?
It's terrible that she went to the Rainbow Bridge on the same day that Sadie did.

You say that Jasmine kind of said you good-bye short before she was gone.
This reminds me of when my Romeo looked at me through the window less than hour before he was run over by a car.

I think they know when their time is up, no matter if it's a disease or an accident. They do know.

Jasmine was with you for less than a year, but filled your life with happiness and memories as she lived 20 years. She was rich inside, and left that richness to you so that you could tell others how wonderful she was and how lucky you have been.

RIP Jasmine, you were loved much more than any other kitten could say.
Thank you... a family of fox moved into the area. One had been watching us the entire time I was grilling, as soon as I left, it attacked. We think it tried to get Lily, as she had a bite on her belly, and Jasmine attacked to help her. We didn't know at the time, but an older lady down the road (maybe 100 feet from my house), had been finding cats, and a small dog killed in her yard, not to eat, they were just killing. I found a muddy fox print on the lid of my grill afterward... There were three captured and euthanized, one is still out there. I put out a trail cam, and see it come by during the night.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Greater love hath no cat...

I'm sure He will forgive the paraphrasing.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss.....foxes are usually too timid to tangle with a cat, there are no documented cases in our area of one killing a cat. They feed side by side with my ferals, usually waiting their turn. I have had cats killed by raccoons, who attack the belly and coyotes are deadly, so don't let your guard down.
I have known deep, soul destroying grief too, i witnessed my sweet Chrissy getting killed right in front of me, and have went through the deaths of others so very close to me. Time is the only thing that helps. It softens the sharp edges of grief, until the next tsunami drowns us in grief once more.
Your tribute to your precious little one was heartfelt and wonderful, I can feel her spirited personality, the love you two had for each other. She had a special bond with your soul, she will always be near. She shared your life's journey for much too short a time, but because love is spiritual, the new path she follows now will parallel your own for eternity. She had a joy in life, she found happiness in life's pleasures and brought those pleasures to share with you, because what gave her happiness brought happiness to your own life.
Keep sending her thoughts and prayers of those joys you find in life. You can't change the past no matter how much you want, and sweet Jasmine would be the last one to want you to be so sad because of her. Because that is what love is, only wanting happiness in the lives of those you hold dear. She is no different. Try not to dwell on the death, I know how hard that is to do. Do not make her death more important, more prominent, than her wonderful, precious life. "Death cannot take that which never dies", and your love for each other never will. Don't let death take away the joys in your own life, none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow and life is too short to miss out on what it has to offer. She left you a legacy of love, she showed you what love is. Spread that love, share it and bring it out into the sunshine. Let it bloom and grow, let her live on through finding happiness in your own life and sending it to her, don't hide it under the darkness of grief and let it wither.
Of course this hurts, it always will. Surround yourself with those you love, learn to feel the sunshine once more, and know precious Jasmine is resting in peace knowing she will always have a secure place in your loving heart. Take care, and know I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.....RIP sweet Jasmine, you left a mark on this earth and will never be forgotten. Send what comfort you can to the heart that grieves so for your leaving, let the pure white light from the new star that is you, shine down into the lives that miss you so dearly. May the good Lord bless and keep you, hold you close in His loving arms, until you meet again!