My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well...I'm playing MAJOR catch up now! Some threads, I only (don't hit me) read the last page or two, but some, like this one, require EVERY WORD! BOY did a lot go on when I was buried in the mountains!

How can I give up on the last soldier in action?
A couple of the mother cats haven't been spayed yet, is that right? Try putting some of the litter that they've peed on in the trap. Another thing that worked for me is a light sprinkling of straw covering the floor of the trap and the ground leading into it. They can't tell where the trap starts and where the plate is if it's covered with straw.
That's kinda genius! Although, at the rate you are going, in another week you'll be able to just pick him up and carry him in!

I wish I could just start a kitty sancturary right now.
I think a sanctuary that would provide a safe haven during storm evacuations would save many pet lives. I know that I have faced the issues of evacuating with my pets , but having nowhere to go that would accept them.
If I win that $3mil sweepstakes, you'll be the first call I make!

I needed to share with another cat lover as I am alone in my grief for her.
Rest you gentle, Stella, dream you deep. Your passing is marked and mourned.

Do you have any suggestion on how to catch her? She has been TNR-ed as a kitten, now afraid of carriers.
If you have one of those hard carriers that come in two parts, try taking the top and the door off completely and feeding her in just the open bottom for a bit. When she is comfy with that, add the top, and later replace the door.

Once I bring a feral inside and they understand that they are safe and no longer have to struggle for good they seem to remember how much fun it is to play.
This is very true. This is why Barn Cat and Working Cat adoption centers for ferals tell the new guardians to suppliment feed. When a cat has to catch all of its food, that cat will ONLY hunt enough to survive (mamas teaching kits to hunt are a major exception). If you feed two small meals daily, that "play" instinct kicks back in, and the cats actually hunt vermin far more often.

I hope this is just the start of a long relationship with this cat but if he did leave before I can catch or trap him, I want to know that ,at least ,I built him up before Winter.
Oh, I think you have another cat. I really do.

Poor little Mittow too! Is she coming back to you or back to the shelter?
If she does not calm down then I will be bringing her back to stay with me. I don’t know if she will ever be adoptable now but for the moment, I still have hope.
I have a LOT of faith in you. We really need to see about getting you "official" so you can screen some of these potential adopter yourself. Make sure they know how to handle former ferals properly.

Poor Kelly, it looks like she's popped a stitch there. Hope she's going to be OK.
She should be okay because I caught the issue. Apparently her surgery left a small air pocket in her and it had collected fluid.
SO glad you saw that quickly, and that all will be well.

I let everyone know she was strictly a pet and I named her Fried. That was as close as she would ever get to being cooked!
:crackup::flail::crackup: OH OH OH! FRIED! What a perfect name for a beloved pet chicken! I'm going to be giggling over that for a LONG TIME, and telling the story frequently!

The other good news ( choked me up) Gingerbread babies, Bright and Avatar went up for adoption today and were both adopted today. Best part...... they were adopted together!
BEST NEWS EVER!

Missed you ALL!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 We certainly missed you! So glad that you and Hekitty made it through the storm and evacuation. We were all holding our breath there for a while. Many people sent good wishes, good vibes, hopes and prayers for you both and for the friend who assisted you. It hasn’t been the same without you joining us.
I see you read a bunch of posts! Wow! That is a whole lot of catching up. I am very glad the last posts were good news and funny stories from me and our friends. If Fried ticked your funny bone then maybe this will too. I rescued two baby Pot bellied pigs. One was a girl I named Barbie and one a boy I named Que. When I called them I just yelled for BarbieQue! They were adopted out to someone as pets but they also liked the cats. They even used the litter box! I think that animals who grow up around cats are strongly influenced by them.
Welcome Back! Give Hekitty a snuggle from us! :welcomeback1:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi and Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
I know naming the piggies Barbie Que is different but just like the chicken named Fried, that was as close as my baby rescues would ever come to being cooked! Lol When I saved the piggies I had close neighbors and I figured if they thought the were cute and funny, they wouldn’t complain about them before I could find them a new home. They do kind of smell if the go potty outside! My neighbor saw the babies running to me when I called BBQ and she cracked up laughing. It worked. She actually liked the cuties and would come over to scratch their baby bellies. The adopting parents liked the names and kept them. They weren’t babies by the time they left but as miniatures they were still very small. They joined a family that already had two other pot bellied pigs as pets and even had an outdoor child’s playhouse that had little beds, electricity, heat, lights and air for them. I was amazed at all the things they had for their piggies. A sand box, mud box and a kiddie swimming pool. I was so glad they were getting a home where they would be loved and safe. There were also kitties and doggies for them to play with. Piggy perfection! My cats would have been jealous of the house and large sandbox!
A little wicked with the names ( I couldn’t help myself once the names popped into my head :lol: ) but it protected them in the long run. We do what we have to for our rescues, even the non kitty types.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The news for today is that the kitties helped me work all day. Together we scrubbed all the kitty carriers, cages and litter boxes! It was quite a day and we are all worn out!
Poor kitties really got a workout! Lol
7A4D9F9E-431B-401C-B75C-4E769AFE16E8.jpeg
05433012-0896-4C05-B103-44E0415445B6.jpeg
4A070A30-5113-4F81-965F-FE553CC0385B.jpeg

E13452F7-36FF-4594-BA17-AA803B2DEFED.jpeg
2AFACD65-46FB-4B6A-8792-B68E4E3AFF20.jpeg

I got a picture of Man at the Cat Cafe. He enjoyed the grand opening and all the extra attention. He had lots of people to play with. He behaved beautifully and showed off his wand chasing skills! He is the one under the chair. It all went very well!
4F70588F-6C4D-410C-A4B9-46023DF49F40.jpeg

@CL56 You read the whole thing? I’m impressed with your patience. I know another friend wrote to me of doing that. When someone follows all of this it tells me they are true kitty lovers. These kitties have had some hard times but they are amazing in their resilience. Their capacity for love always leaves me in awe. I hope you enjoyed the happy times as I have. I am glad you found us. There are great people stopping in to visit, comment and offer support as well as advice. It is all inspirational for me and I truly appreciate it. Thank you!

@surya Thanks about the Gingy babies. I am hoping that since the two went together, that is an indicator that they went to a real kitty lover. Taking two is uncommon. I love BJ’s black nose too! One of the Flower babies had that marking and I now that BJ was the Daddy. I think the baby will grow up to look much like Daddy. Soooo cute. I hope all is well with you. You have been on all our minds. I think it is a really neat thing that Avatar has such good fortune. Good vibes from you.

M maggiedemi Don’t worry about your babies. Flowers children are doing well. Violet is growing and as sweet as her namesake and the person who named her. :) She is your birthday kitten too you know! They are all getting their vet care. Shots, treated for parasites ( all kittens from here get this) and when they are large enough they will be spayed/ neutered and have a microchip. When all is finished they will be ready to find homes. I know they will. They are smart and some of the funniest kittens ever. Remember the person who adopted Cloud said he loved parkour? These kittens have wings on their feet. It was hard to get good photos of them from the very start because they just bounced everywhere! They were often just a blur to the camera. The photo of Violet that I posted for your birthday was an exception. I think she posed for that picture just for you. ( I did tell her it was supposed to be like a birthday card. Like I said, smart kittens!) I will update you with any progress they make.
@catsknowme I laughed about Eisenhower being Presidential too. The cat in chief! The newscasters did a cute piece on him. I am grateful for that. We will see if he gets voted into a good home! I’ll have new pictures for you tonight.
@Norachan i am glad you get some smiles from the kitties! I hope the tears are happy ones. I always choke up when the kitties leave but the tears are mixed with joy and relief for all of them. If only I could keep them all! It just wouldn’t be fair to them though. We have to let our children go out into the world to find a great life. If that happens for them I can be happy. They are all so precious and they leave me with wonderful memories to last my lifetime. What more could I ask for? It is a wonderful life if you can have this much love touch your heart. I know I can’t think anything but good thoughts when I am getting a hug from a cat!

Time for a smile?
It all counts when it comes to cat hugs. Whether it’s.......
Putting a paw around Mom
E42BC2FD-2B9B-4695-AAED-02CB9527CF2F.jpeg

Holding on tight
3A40C7A3-D5E3-4170-9424-EA8C21001AD0.jpeg

Looking up for a hug
F8A3BA21-1237-4931-BD27-2C46DAE0E1B2.jpeg

Putting paws around Mom’s neck
1A6EE6FC-E4F1-4817-894B-6E7B3B67A82D.jpeg

Spreading paws out to ask for a hug
7FB9597A-C7D5-4109-B08B-2E463EFA68CF.jpeg

A hug from behind
F11634B4-44A2-4FFB-B076-89F9E2DE7EE5.jpeg

A hug from below
11BAFF47-0C9D-4671-A279-06718EF3F133.jpeg

Or even a hug from above, on my head
5F3FCB3F-D7C7-4CE9-B15F-746D70549194.jpeg

They all warm my heart forever.:redheartpump: :catlove:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
ileen ileen To answer your question about the surgeon, no luck there as I could not get through to them and since they are a good twenty miles away in the city, I could not just drive her there. I am legal to drive but I worry about vision issues in the high traffic areas. I have a vet I use that is only a few minutes from my home and I was able to get them on the phone. I emailed photos of her and they fit us in. It was expensive but I knew she required help quickly. I will just be eating more peanut butter! Lol The cats will still get their treats. No worries. We do what we have to for our babies don’t we?!?!?! :)

My good news for today is about more than one kitty.
Eisenhower was featured on the local news and their website as promised.They did a cute piece on WSAV about him being a “Presidential cat although he had not made it to the White House” also “his only two laws were to play with him and love him.”
I hope it will help.
The other good news ( choked me up) Gingerbread babies, Bright and Avatar went up for adoption today and were both adopted today. Best part...... they were adopted together!

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 I always love having your support here.
@catsknowme and M maggiedemi love the chickens! Beautiful babies. Isn’t it great how cats can get along other creatures?
I have blended cats with all kinds of other creatures. Kitties are naturals at sharing love.

To all others who stop in to check on the kitties and provide cheer and support, I always take note of that and appreciate it. Thank you to all who comment, praise or stay quietly in the shadows. The kitties need you all.

Our smiles for tonight come from two kitties.

BJ is getting more comfortable with me. It helped that the neighbors were not out.

Maybe petting should come before eating! Wow! :yess:
View attachment 254834
Petting combined with eating makes a kitty happy.
View attachment 254835
An added treat. I could swear I almost see a kitty smile!
View attachment 254836
I know I see a kitty wink!View attachment 254840

Last ,but not least, as I was posting all of this I got some support and a Snuggle from our little Whistle. Time to stop and love the kitties.:redheartpump:View attachment 254839
:touched::goldstar::salam::wavey::hugs::redheartpump::hearthrob::heartshape::wave2:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
The news for today is that the kitties helped me work all day. Together we scrubbed all the kitty carriers, cages and litter boxes! It was quite a day and we are all worn out!
Poor kitties really got a workout! LolView attachment 254946View attachment 254943 View attachment 254942
View attachment 254945 View attachment 254944

I got a picture of Man at the Cat Cafe. He enjoyed the grand opening and all the extra attention. He had lots of people to play with. He behaved beautifully and showed off his wand chasing skills! He is the one under the chair. It all went very well!
View attachment 254949
@CL56 You read the whole thing? I’m impressed with your patience. I know another friend wrote to me of doing that. When someone follows all of this it tells me they are true kitty lovers. These kitties have had some hard times but they are amazing in their resilience. Their capacity for love always leaves me in awe. I hope you enjoyed the happy times as I have. I am glad you found us. There are great people stopping in to visit, comment and offer support as well as advice. It is all inspirational for me and I truly appreciate it. Thank you!

@surya Thanks about the Gingy babies. I am hoping that since the two went together, that is an indicator that they went to a real kitty lover. Taking two is uncommon. I love BJ’s black nose too! One of the Flower babies had that marking and I now that BJ was the Daddy. I think the baby will grow up to look much like Daddy. Soooo cute. I hope all is well with you. You have been on all our minds. I think it is a really neat thing that Avatar has such good fortune. Good vibes from you.

M maggiedemi Don’t worry about your babies. Flowers children are doing well. Violet is growing and as sweet as her namesake and the person who named her. :) She is your birthday kitten too you know! They are all getting their vet care. Shots, treated for parasites ( all kittens from here get this) and when they are large enough they will be spayed/ neutered and have a microchip. When all is finished they will be ready to find homes. I know they will. They are smart and some of the funniest kittens ever. Remember the person who adopted Cloud said he loved parkour? These kittens have wings on their feet. It was hard to get good photos of them from the very start because they just bounced everywhere! They were often just a blur to the camera. The photo of Violet that I posted for your birthday was an exception. I think she posed for that picture just for you. ( I did tell her it was supposed to be like a birthday card. Like I said, smart kittens!) I will update you with any progress they make.
@catsknowme I laughed about Eisenhower being Presidential too. The cat in chief! The newscasters did a cute piece on him. I am grateful for that. We will see if he gets voted into a good home! I’ll have new pictures for you tonight.
@Norachan i am glad you get some smiles from the kitties! I hope the tears are happy ones. I always choke up when the kitties leave but the tears are mixed with joy and relief for all of them. If only I could keep them all! It just wouldn’t be fair to them though. We have to let our children go out into the world to find a great life. If that happens for them I can be happy. They are all so precious and they leave me with wonderful memories to last my lifetime. What more could I ask for? It is a wonderful life if you can have this much love touch your heart. I know I can’t think anything but good thoughts when I am getting a hug from a cat!

Time for a smile?
It all counts when it comes to cat hugs. Whether it’s.......
Putting a paw around Mom
View attachment 254933
Holding on tight
View attachment 254934
Looking up for a hug
View attachment 254935

Putting paws around Mom’s neck
View attachment 254938
Spreading paws out to ask for a hug
View attachment 254937
A hug from behindView attachment 254936
A hug from below
View attachment 254940
Or even a hug from above, on my headView attachment 254939

They all warm my heart forever.:redheartpump: :catlove:
:catlove: :sleepycat: :zzzcat: :happycat: :purr: :catrub::lovecat3: :hearthrob: :hugs: :redheartpump::vibes::vibes::vibes::hangin:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mani mani I am so glad the cat hugging paws reached all the way to you! Funny how a cat hug can spread the loving feelings. Works for me too! They are great snugglers.

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 :heartshape: from me and all the kitties!

rubysmama rubysmama Those little piggies were very smart. They learned to use a litter box immediately and followed me around like a couple of puppies. They seemed to understand everything I said so hopefully they knew they wouldn’t really be Barbeque! Lol I’m pretty sure they knew I loved them. Barbie was solid black and Que was black with the exception of one tiny white spot. They even seemed to understand how great the orchids I grew for a living were. They ate every single one they could get. They actually figured out how to climb up on the greenhouse benches to get to the yummy ones. They had excellent taste in their choices. They only ate the expensive ones! A favorite was one that had flowers that smelled like chocolate. I couldn’t blame them for going after those!

M maggiedemi Man wasn’t scared. I have video of him too. He was having a ball! He was playing with all kinds of toys and getting lots of attention there. It was one big kitty party!
Any time Maggie and Demi want to come for a visit we would love to have them join our boot ( it mitten) camp. We’ll have our own kitty party.:party:
I did let the kitties have the day off from chores today. They worked their little whiskers to a frazzle yesterday. They all slept like babies last night but had lots of energy today.

The news today is that I got video from a friend of Eisenhower today. He was playing in the sunroom at the shelter. He was in with other kitties but he was running up the tiers of a cat tree like he owned the place. He seems really happy there. It made me smile to see that. I think he may have even gained a pound!

I want to mention a couple of TCS members. @alphagrrl is struggling to find help for a few kitties she has been working with. Her landlord is selling out and she has to move. She has one Mom cat that needs a home, two of that cats older kittens that need a home and one younger kitten from the same Mom. They are beautiful kitties and the situation has become urgent. Encouragement or help for her would be much appreciated.

The other member is @Molly7321 Hats off and much thanks to her! She has been working very diligently to rescue a seriously injured cat. Although she has had some help in her attempts it seems that the groups she previously supported did not pitch in on this rescue. She posted on TCS for help. I love TCS! I found her post and her story broke my heart. I posted to her and learned more about the situation. I was so moved by all she has done that I got on the phone and called a gentleman in her area who does rescues. The group Tropical Acres Feral Rescue survives off of donations but manages to care for many ferals and I found Mr, McKay to be amazing! He took my call at night during a family gathering. I apologized for interrupting and offered to call another time but he insisted on hearing about the cat. Not only was he kind and pleasant to me, he immediately volunteered to help @Molly7321 .
They spoke the very next day and he has already started working with her to try and save this cat. I called him as a complete stranger and he was caring enough to listen and then go out to help another person he had never met. I now have two new fantastic cat loving friends. I am very impressed by both of these people as well as that rescue group. Once again TCS has helped to connect people on behalf of cats in need. @Anne You did it again! Thank you! TCS is the best! May many more rescues and TNR’s take place due to connections on this site! I hope everyone will follow the story of this rescue.

Three kitties here have had a case of diarrhea. Since the fecal did not show any problems I changed their dry food to that new Rachel Ray food with Pumpkin in it. Pumpkin helps with the tummy issues. The food has probiotics and antioxidants so we’ll see if that and the prescription the vet gave us will stop the problem. Smokey is already improving. My old boy Mackie liked the food so much he snuck in a tore a hole in the bottom of the bag to help himself to another serving. I offered some to all of the cats but my oldest boy, Dolly or Dali, turned his nose up at it. He prefers his regular food. The three are having to spend time in isolation but they don’t seem to mind since extra attention comes with it. Lots of brushing and snuggling!

BJ was lazy this evening. More relaxed too! I caught him napping in his favorite spot. I also convinced him to at some treats in my large dog carrier. I was able to get close enough to start to close the door but his tail was sticking out so there was a little problem with shutting the door. When I tried to move his tail in he decided to leave. Touching the tail is a bit alarming. I’ll have to get the treats a little further back in the carrier when he lets me do that again. He has a very long tail! We did have a very good visit though.

Our smiles tonight come straight from BJ

His favorite spot is convenient for a good head scratching.
B9504733-1EFF-4C9C-84B7-F827CDF49842.jpeg

Good for a nap too if no one disturbs you. A good yawn was in order!
9C398FB2-7C20-4B63-B4BB-08626AC7C27D.jpeg

Or maybe two?
33C230A2-7C28-4830-B44B-F7554D96ECC7.jpeg

You still have to earn his attention or he might just look at the back of a branch.
BB30A809-C831-4B13-A90D-59F648275B67.jpeg

The look says, “What have you got to offer? I don’t give petting for free!”
07A0C5CA-535B-45F5-9DB8-72B75D330AB3.jpeg

Is there a treat in that hand? I don’t see one!
08A970F0-6E41-4CC7-BCC9-09F27E660900.jpeg

No treat!?!?!?
7AE9709A-8634-466B-B659-D39CBC8E6A30.jpeg

That is a dirty trick , even for a human! For that, you get a small slap on the wrist!
85A923FA-DCE3-45DE-AF8C-42F171CE8509.jpeg

Oh! There is a treat!
8274C426-9720-44B0-904D-7FDCBA890C72.jpeg

That was realllly good!
9B2A62B4-5971-4579-A61A-00B34E28AC2E.jpeg

All is forgiven.
878BDF65-C73F-4505-AC5D-3FD1954A084B.jpeg

If you will all excuse us now.....we’re going to bed!
E7A25E7A-F768-4D7F-8C0C-462F303585F2.jpeg

Good night all! Happy cat dreams! :redheartpump::catlove:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm tickled that Man is settled in so well! Loved seeing him having fun in his new "digs." And the others that are doing so well, too! OH GOODNESS, to think that not long ago, they were out in the cold (and heat), fearful and hiding! YOU GO, CAT WHISPERER!

All those tired kitties. They worked their little pawsies off cleaning cages and carriers! Or at least supervising. That takes a LOT of energy, you know!

BJ is really coming along, isn't he? He's a handsome boy, and actually manages to keep himself looking very dapper, considering the circumstances. He'll be in and settled before you know it!

I was thrilled to see that you had been able to find help for @Molly7321. She needed it so much, and cares so much. What an asset she will be to our community here!

Hekitty sends headbonks and purrs!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
A bit of an update about Luciano and his roof adventures. Our roof is divided into quarters. He has full access to 1/4 on the south side and the 1/4 next to it is currently unoccupied, so really he can use that 1/2 of the roof. The north side has the lovely garden owned by a woman who loves him & a man who is allergic. We've been given the all clear to hang out over there too, so that's 3/4 of the roof. The final quarter of the roof has one guy who loves Luciano and another who I thought didn't, but turns out he is highly allergic to cats, so I try to keep him off that 1/4.

A few days ago he had a lovely time in the garden quarter of the roof, specifically by the tomato plants.
IMG_1925[1].JPG
IMG_1922[1].JPG
IMG_1926[1].JPG
IMG_1927[1].JPG

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi You just gave me a visual of a cat cave man! Maggie is some cat! :angrycat: Poor kitty! I am glad you saved him from a primitive life. As always, :rock:

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I am so hoping that our new member is able to get that kitty. She says she is now going to promote TCS on their business website. Maybe that will help everyone and the cats!

BJ is coming along. We shall see what he decides. I am hopeful

I have been tagged to try and help a couple of other folks. It’s hard but I am going to try. I have gathered some information for them. Again, we shall see! I am trying to send good vibes their way! TCS enables a lot of important contacts for people who need help. I am always glad to try.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ileen ileen Thise are wonderful pictures of Luciano! The color contrast is beautiful. That is a very happy kitty. The harness and leash look knitted or crocheted Did you make them? The red is perfect against Luciano’s fur colors. Thank you for letting me see these. They gave me a ,much needed, smile!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
No I bought the harness and leash. It is soft fabric, harness is almost mesh. Leash looks like that when not at full length - it extends to be longer and straight. It's a trick of the photos that make it look crocheted. I don't have the knitting/sewing gene. Recently I have started crafting with seashells. I will share some of those photos at some point when I take pictures of my work.

Status
Not open for further replies.