My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have our problems with radon around here, too. There is a village about 45 minutes southeast of us that had a high rate of lung cancer cases, even among non-smokers. It turned out that the houses in and around Arcade had high- and in some cases extremely high- radon levels. There are other hot spots around WNY, but that s the worst one that I know of.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The stone countertops give off radon, too.
I've never had anything tested. I'm still here and as far as I know, fairly healthy. No one is here forever. I prefer not to obsess over things and to just live my life as well as I can. But yes, (un)common sense, along with my other senses, is always my guide.
Jcatbird Jcatbird , hoping you will consider bringing the BBB in on this. As you point out, beyond making YOU sick, it may affect others who buy it. It should definitely be pulled from all markets. If people don't act, it's assumed that whatever the traffic will bear is what continues. I worry most of all about the effects on little cats, who are a lot closer to the floor and a lot more sensitive than humans.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama It is a serious concern and testing is good. I think that keeping some form of fresh air is important anyway. We spend so much effort and time closing things up tight, we forget that we need a bit of ventilation. Door and window seals, caulking, insulation etc. keep houses air tight. Of course being chilly isn’t great either. I think I prefer chilly and having a small draft under a door. ;)

Lari Lari That’s great that your house tested negative! It’s good to know that all is safe there.:)

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Nonchalantly!:lol: That’s Banjo! She was pretty nonchalant about my keys too. She was in her carrier when I questioned her about my keys. I couldn’t see them under her blanket but she did pull them out for me. Very innocently. Lol

N NY cat man Wow! Weird that it’s natural but as humans, we capture it. We learn as we go.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I know that many stone products carry certain things. You are right not to obsess about things. Living the best life we can is important.
As you know, I do believe in doing all we can to protect life. Especially innocents and those who cannot protect themselves. I will check out the BBB.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time for a smile post! What do feral and rescued kitties want to do on a rainy day?
I came in from some chilly chores and thought it would be nice to warm up with some kitty games. Hmmm. Any takers? I think the expressions speak for themselves but I will interpret.

Banjo?
3D1D79ED-1BAF-40B4-897A-3A9BEA516F3F.jpeg

What?
B073835C-E7A3-4063-BF19-A7763E3CAED6.jpeg

I guess you want me to get off your heating pad? I was asleep! Having a very nice dream about kissing Froggie too!
9F82B350-A16B-4747-B60D-8A6462E2587B.jpeg

Well, how about you Bonjure?
4BA7E2CD-267E-45C4-9242-4F69AA1D53CE.jpeg

Well, you know I love being the center of attention.
88B8F168-E691-4BDD-A6F1-C98BCC9C8BB2.jpeg

I find it very relaxing to have my human focused on me.
40B205E4-67B8-4670-8813-79FDAE133BF3.jpeg

It makes a little guy very sleepy though.
5BE15137-5427-45DE-B009-A7CE357CD7AF.jpeg

Don’t even look at me human!
586DFE4C-B24E-4210-ACC5-98CC5BC2FBD3.jpeg

I’m hoping to share the heating pad with Banjo.
C5D580BF-AFEF-43DF-8C1E-63FD6950C42A.jpeg

Ahhhh.
82798138-6B78-4C10-8DCD-5FA399AF4F5B.jpeg

You really should get more heating pads.
12726DFE-9739-4821-ADBD-545734C1365E.jpeg

Agreed.
6FB582E9-EE5E-4510-81C0-4461A0367437.jpeg

Whistle?
I is very tired human.
58698694-F715-43EB-9BF9-715047656921.jpeg

Muffin, you look wide awake.
05E1FAD9-7643-4DA4-9BB8-2F9F67301697.jpeg

:lol: Apparently not!
D0057929-1249-442F-B1A3-B536874423D6.jpeg

You called Mom?
F3129555-17FF-455B-AFF4-38A95C8D77B4.jpeg

Head bumps!
88784815-A7BE-4150-9BB7-C0FAD76C00FD.jpeg

You can always count on me mom!
9D3E4903-5739-4659-87D0-6CABF77120F9.jpeg

So what do you want to do?
4D8F93F6-C60D-44FD-BF6F-D2D984A8B69E.jpeg

I’m ready for anything!
B2581D72-5C0A-49AA-AC3C-46804DF1AA86.jpeg

Just us girls?
9965470A-596D-4FC9-B7A5-7214DCA5C17B.jpeg

I may be one of the older kitties here but there is still a lot of fire in this old Smokey!
A641564C-F9FE-4F61-887E-3E83FCB0F738.jpeg

How about some head scratching?
6F59AAB5-B7D0-44B3-A9DF-2CA59CF8A3D1.jpeg

Head scratching on top of old Smokey?:lol:
890FDE94-A93F-4DB0-AA90-3D4A2188B8D7.jpeg

Pfffftttttt! Very funny mom.
80D5EBAB-6AEE-41AF-9244-B227CB9D1B9F.jpeg

The head scratching is very relaxing.
AFB6AADA-3A6F-4955-83DD-7452B8817F62.jpeg

Verrrry relaxing......
D2B14E54-5098-4B66-978E-F25147BD9ABE.jpeg

Ha! Another sleepy kitty.
15296036-D61D-43E7-97F2-F5FC0669A231.jpeg

I guess, even “previous ferals” still know that rainy days are a good time to snuggle up somewhere nice and take a long nap. Agreed and I’m getting ready to join them. :zzzcat:😴:sleepycat:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is for all our friends who are living in cold climates.
For anyone who has a power outage and cold weather, put everything you may need and all cats in one room and try to keep it closed off if possible. Try to be in a room that catches any sunlight. Keep drapes closed unless you get sun. Put up cardboard or any plastic or packing material up where there are drafts. Also place something at the base of doors to stop drafts. Get all blankets, towels or fabrics to pile up around you like an igloo! Encourage cats to cuddle there. A card table or similar can act like a tent over a bed when covered with a sheet or blanket. If a bathroom remains cold you can use a tub filled with water to help keep an ice chest full of food cooler if fridge goes out. If you have snow, that can work as a cooler if put in a tub or sink as well. Any cushions from sofas or pillows can be used to put against outer walls or windows to help insulate. Do NOT get warm by running your car inside a garage! Do NOT use generators inside a garage either! Carbon monoxide can fill a garage quickly. There is a post somewhere with some of this info but I can’t find where I read it! They suggested we all pass this on and add to it if we have more suggestions so, I did. I ask others to do the same. Please pass it on to anyone you know who may be in a cold place. I will try to relocate the other info and post a link if it has added info.
Please stay safe.

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fine here. The next town over has several thousand without power, but CCEC (Carteret-Craven Electric Co-op) is doing a fine job of keeping us lit and warm thus far. I do have a small propane camp stove and four bottles of propane, so I can make coffee and ramen noodles, if it comes down to it!

I am sure that many have come in contact with things that they did not know were toxic. You wouldn’t think that simply drinking from a cup would be lethal but.....sad.
Lord, yes! Back then, women darkened their eyebrows with lead pencils! AND, hat felting was done with mercury, which caused insanity, hence the expression, "mad as a hatter."

Thank you so much for sharing.🙏🏼
I shared in my FB cat groups, and on my Twitter feed.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a post somewhere with some of this info but I can’t find where I read it! They suggested we all pass this on and add to it if we have more suggestions so, I did. I ask others to do the same. Please pass it on to anyone you know who may be in a cold place. I will try to relocate the other info and post a link if it has added info.
Please stay safe.
It might have been me. I posted these screenshots on the positive thread.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama It is a serious concern and testing is good. I think that keeping some form of fresh air is important anyway. We spend so much effort and time closing things up tight, we forget that we need a bit of ventilation. Door and window seals, caulking, insulation etc. keep houses air tight. Of course being chilly isn’t great either. I think I prefer chilly and having a small draft under a door. ;)

Lari Lari That’s great that your house tested negative! It’s good to know that all is safe there.:)

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Nonchalantly!:lol: That’s Banjo! She was pretty nonchalant about my keys too. She was in her carrier when I questioned her about my keys. I couldn’t see them under her blanket but she did pull them out for me. Very innocently. Lol

N NY cat man Wow! Weird that it’s natural but as humans, we capture it. We learn as we go.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I know that many stone products carry certain things. You are right not to obsess about things. Living the best life we can is important.
As you know, I do believe in doing all we can to protect life. Especially innocents and those who cannot protect themselves. I will check out the BBB.
Check out the free legal advice too. You and/or the clowder may develop symptoms later. Also may get advice on holding the manufacturer responsible for your full refund.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Full refund PLUS compensation for the aggravation of having to remove the stuff and redoing the floor.
Agree, If time hadn't been of essence (and the cats wouldn't have been freaked out) the manufacturer should have paid for ripping the floor out and a cleaning service! Go get 'em girl, sic em!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is for all our friends who are living in cold climates.
For anyone who has a power outage and cold weather, put everything you may need and all cats in one room and try to keep it closed off if possible. Try to be in a room that catches any sunlight. Keep drapes closed unless you get sun. Put up cardboard or any plastic or packing material up where there are drafts. Also place something at the base of doors to stop drafts. Get all blankets, towels or fabrics to pile up around you like an igloo! Encourage cats to cuddle there. A card table or similar can act like a tent over a bed when covered with a sheet or blanket. If a bathroom remains cold you can use a tub filled with water to help keep an ice chest full of food cooler if fridge goes out. If you have snow, that can work as a cooler if put in a tub or sink as well. Any cushions from sofas or pillows can be used to put against outer walls or windows to help insulate. Do NOT get warm by running your car inside a garage! Do NOT use generators inside a garage either! Carbon monoxide can fill a garage quickly. There is a post somewhere with some of this info but I can’t find where I read it! They suggested we all pass this on and add to it if we have more suggestions so, I did. I ask others to do the same. Please pass it on to anyone you know who may be in a cold place. I will try to relocate the other info and post a link if it has added info.
Please stay safe.
It might have been me. I posted these screenshots on the positive thread.
Thanks for posting that Jcatbird Jcatbird , and you too Lari Lari . We were lucky here, that even though we had freezing rain on Tuesday, it didn't last long enough to cause power outages. But having a winter power outage is something I fear, so those tips are good ones to remember.

Hope everyone in bad weather areas are staying safe and warm. And, yes, please post, or just purraise even, when you are able, so we know you're ok. We worry, remember. :grouphug2:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanking all for good advice and caring posts!
Jcatbird Jcatbird Banjo looks so chic against the matching background textile! Bonjure is SO gorgeous. So good to see Smokey getting scritches on top! Muffin is gloriously colorful and lovely.
Shady companies depend on people to either think they can't win, or know they don't have the funds necessary to bring legal action against them. That's where a class-action suit can be useful. Wondering how many others out there bought that product and experienced similar (or god forbid, worse) problems. Might be worth putting a message out on socials -- a good attorney would do this, too, but their hourly rates are far above the average person's, unfortunately...

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
surya surya
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote
Where are you and are you okay?
Please, all our friends who have not posted here lately, please give us a👍 if you are okay in these storms.
I came here right after checking my emails. I will be off the site for awhile. I have some very serious situations going on. The last few days were a nightmare. Could you keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you

Ps. I hope everyone is doing well. Have a blessed day.

Status
Not open for further replies.