My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
And tom cats care little, if anything about their offspring. Such caring is not in their nature. Don't let your emotions cloud your judgment.
No, that's not true. Gin Kun was a fantastic father to his kittens, hunted for them and protected them against other tom cats and dogs.

He made a great house cat once I had him neutered too. Our vet said he was at least ten years old by the time I got him fixed. It's never too late.

Jcatbird Jcatbird A couple of the mother cats haven't been spayed yet, is that right? Try putting some of the litter that they've peed on in the trap. Another thing that worked for me is a light sprinkling of straw covering the floor of the trap and the ground leading into it. They can't tell where the trap starts and where the plate is if it's covered with straw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan Excellent suggestions. BJ did stay near Kelly. I think he is looking for her. That might be the trick that works. I sat in the woods with him tonight. He is a talker and seemed to welcome my prescence. I stayed while he ate and then he came and sat near me. He is very jumpy but I can see he could be socialized. I didn’t leave until he did. I will try those suggestions. Even if I cannot get him in a trap I will keep trying. Since the storm has turned I have more time to earn his trust. Maybe I will convince him that I can provide very nice treats and he will go into that carrier after all. I am also looking for a drop trap. Patience usually works. ;)

This is BJ. Not a clear photo as it was already dark out. I edited it so you could see him better.
97971FE7-ED38-496D-99ED-5C0AFC2D115A.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My update on the kittens tonight must be brief as I am a bit tired from the scramble of the past few days.
Kelly is now coming to greet me along with Avstar! Meowing and allowing lots of petting. Who would ever guess she had lived on her own before? The Ginger and Bright are still hesitant but making great progress. How will I ever part with them?
I wish I could just start a kitty sancturary right now. If this place was safe for cats, I would. It is a dream for me. Seeing the animals being pulled from the storm makes me desire that even more. A place for rescues and for safe haven to hold animals for those evacuating so they do not need to leave the animals behind. People should not have to chose between saving themselves or staying to die with their pets. Maybe a small farm somewhere further inland. One day.....
Flowers and her babies are progressing as well. It is slowe with them. Flowers is dry protective of the kittens but she let me get closer tonight. Each day should gain trust for me. I am enjoying having kittens in the house again. Their pkay delights me Laughter is constant.
AC1A163A-5200-4581-942D-BB22F9FE4504.jpeg
70DAD376-D690-4627-B088-9F3B8B732491.jpeg
A0BE1A5A-6356-444A-B6BE-BB4CFF4B9BFA.jpeg
29518B89-75DC-4778-A99A-A47711929AC1.jpeg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My update on the kittens tonight must be brief as I am a bit tired from the scramble of the past few days.
It's no wonder you're tired, you accomplished so much this week! Thanks for the photo of BJ, he's beautiful.
See M M Thomas , he's not a demon. You'll see, stay tuned. She'll get him neutered & tamed, and he'll be sweet as pie, like Demi. ;)

M Thomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's no wonder you're tired, you accomplished so much this week! Thanks for the photo of BJ, he's beautiful.
See M M Thomas , he's not a demon. You'll see, stay tuned. She'll get him neutered & tamed, and he'll be sweet as pie, like Demi. ;)

Had errands to run Friday afternoon, did I miss anything? In reading comments I can agree with some, not with others. Like all of you. :) The essence of democracy. Gin Kun, an exception to the rule. How many tom cats kill their offspring - too many? Norachan, excellent ideas about catching the "uncatchable". I hope they work. And the drop trap, an excellent idea too. BJ is pretty, has a kitten face - Jcatbird's "weakness" :) A kitty sanctuary, how large would it be? Become? Like the movie line "build it and they will come" (and come and come, a never ending problem, I suspect). I repeat, adoptions are essential, SO IS stopping the CORE problem, which to be realistically achieved will take (consolidated) legislations, not just one-by-one spay/neutering individuals currently do. It's the legislations I choose to work on. "Good intentions" in people are NOT enough. Time for more people to "get off the couch" and act, including in ways that the voting public can affect. How many of you even know who your local/state legislators are? How to contact them?
Currently, more animals are still being born than are being spayed/neutered, sadly. And for BJ to bring his girlfriends to your place, Jcatbird, what are you thinking. Your location is NOT conducive to proper cat care (we both know what kind of neighbors you have, not good ones). If you stay there, you're problems will never end. :( I didn't say BJ was a "demon", just a typical male feral cat (need I say more?) Cats, all animals act by natural instinct. If most humans would stop doing the same (acting like animals) the world would be a much better place. :)

M Thomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just saying, so was Demi, he was feral. I agree, it's a democracy here, we can talk and learn from each other, no judgement. But maybe, just maybe you can learn from me too. ;)
Ditto. I learn from a multitude of others. I stay open-minded so I can. Anyone interested in the easy way to learn about their local state legislators, legislations, etc. go to www.openstates.org and enter your state. A plethora of information at the tip of your fingers. In case you're so interested? :)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M M Thomas i agree that we all need to work on reducing the problem of ferals through many avenues. My thoughts on BJ bringing his girlfriends is s worry, not s hope. If I neuter him then that won’t happen. Gotta stop that guy from populating the area. Also, you are right about this being the wrong place for a sanctuary. Bad neighborhood and low land. It would require a move. When I say sactusfy I don’t mean a huge population. The cats I already have and perhaps a temporary place for people like @mamanyt

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha! I see that my typing suffered in my last post. That comes from rushing and not proofreading. My apologies. I hope me intent came across. I think a sanctuary that would provide a safe haven during storm evacuations would save many pet lives. I know that I have faced the issues of evacuating with my pets , but having nowhere to go that would accept them. Camping was often the only option open unless someone was willing to offer us a place to go. Shelters need a temporary place to house animals as well. Many of our own TCS members faced this issue during Florence. Do you stay in the storm to be with your beloved fur family? Can you find a place to take them? Do you leave them behind? I have traveled with 16 cats before. I have stayed behind with my cats too. I have never left them. I just imagine that if there was a place for people to go during a time like this, it would be a wonderful thing. A farm maybe. Acreage with barns or other buildings and separated areas for many kitties. Something. Anything. Just a thought but one I would like to investigate. The coastal areas face the storms every year. If I relocated just 50 miles north of where I am now then it would be enough elevation to be above storm surge but still along a path evacuees could access. A safe haven. Maybe others out there would consider this. It could be salvation for many.

Today was busy. The wind has been blowing limbs down today. Debris is everywhere. I found BJ to be nervous because of the hawk lurking nearby, but well. I supplied him with a shelter that should be more secure for him. The hawk cannot dive on him from above and he can be off the ground. It is also in a corner that is better protected from falling debris. He watched me assemble the shelter and must have approved of the spot as he entered it immediately. The shelter has three exits and fencing so that he can get out ,but anything larger will have trouble getting in.
At supper time BJ was waiting for me. I laid beside him as he ate and kept him company for awhile before he retreated to his new shelter to retire for bed. He seems more content. I hope I am making progress with him. I will attempt trapping again when the weather is better and I have moved some kitties around in my house.

BJ awaiting my arrival.
C40256E5-1F6A-410E-9CA0-237721458B0A.jpeg

I expect to send the two Mom cats out to be spayed this week and when they return one of the litters of kittens will be leaving to foster care with my friend. Cat overcrowding is never good.
The Gingerbread babies are getting braver. I have held Bright now. Each day brings change. They will soon be socialized enough to leave me. I am pleased with their progress and yet I know it will bring their departure from my life. It is bittersweet.
I have new photos of the Flower babies tonight. My wild Flower child let me really pet her tonight. I came away unharmed. Flowers is improving by great leaps. All of her babies came out to play with me present. They are also improving. They are precious babies.
F228EA57-E432-49EF-BCB3-DE3E995B7F1A.jpeg

BA5CAF0D-3621-4B6C-8293-192B25A142E9.jpeg

D6EC0CD2-10A3-489F-8C95-B41C1A308736.jpeg

BBF422BE-D23A-4163-A11F-4F083AC70269.jpeg

Flowers is accepting human contact now.
ECC4DD96-B35C-4311-B19F-73A329AB1C12.jpeg

0D76CB5E-75F0-44FB-8285-BCF0F62B34B5.jpeg

4A570071-5C03-42B4-A44C-4357CC7EDD76.jpeg

35EF7E17-8DE9-4FBC-8D7A-69BF4113D5C3.jpeg

0A445D3D-E825-461A-8B36-103FA9FF554C.jpeg

1CBAC972-EC57-4A77-A784-6B4090C40E67.jpeg

Finally, photos of all the kittens. Who could resist these little faces? :redheartpump:

Attachments

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Gin Kun, an exception to the rule. How many tom cats kill their offspring - too many?
Actually, very few tom cats kill kittens. I've never seen a tom cat show any aggression towards a kitten, his own or otherwise. None of the feral caregivers I know have witnessed it either. Not sure where the story of tom cats killing kittens came from, but I think it's an exaggeration or maybe even a myth.

;)

Jcatbird Jcatbird I wish you could all come over here. Plenty of space, loads of empty cabins, no predators big enough to tackle a full grown cat, too high to worry about flooding or tsunami. We're in trouble if the volcano wakes up, but that's not likely to happen.

:crossfingers:

BJ is so handsome! I hope he lets you bring him indoors soon. It's amazing how quickly the rest of the kittens have accepted you.

Hope the spays all go well.

:goodluck:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan I have heard the story about Tom cats too but never seen it demonstrated. I have seen a Tom help move kittens. Maybe the story originated from that behavior being observed and misunderstood.
I also had a Tom feral bring me a sick kitten one cold Christmas night. It was late at night and I saw the Tom carrying something fluffy and black. The old boy held his head high as he brought me the still bundle of fur. He let me take it from his mouth. It was a kitten that was struggling to breathe. It survived and was diagnosed with asthma.
At that time the Tom was the only outside cat here. I have no idea where he got that kitten but I still have it. Now grown up and healthy, it is my Bonjure. Bonjie looked nothing like the Tom, Marcus. It is all a mystery but I cared for Marcus and kept him too until age took him from me. He saved Bonjure’s life.
302984EA-D369-4547-83B6-687C7758C0C2.jpeg

It sounds like you live in a place of wonderful peace. Minus a volcano, of course. I wish I could come there. Safety for my kitties is always top priority for me. No risk of water for the kitties! No predators?!?!? It certainly is a safe haven. I can imagine.... a dream come true. Thank you for your wish for me to share such a place. :redheartpump: Maybe someday!
As for mister BJ, he is a sweet big boy. I will keep working on him. I would like for him to be safe. He is already loved.
I am always surprised when the kitties trust me. The love they display for us humans always amazes me. I don’t question it, I just cherish it. :sunshine:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having some phone issues so my post is quite late but I got some really sweet pictures to share so I am here to share them.
BJ allowed me close enough to hand feed some treats tonight. He has one of those irresistible faces!
D008AF2B-CF70-44FD-B427-666709321B74.jpeg
64F118CA-2E0E-424F-9034-6E8D44F96B26.jpeg

I worked with all the kittens today and shifted cats around in the hope that they would all be more comfortable. It seems to have worked well.
I put a new carrier in with Kelly and her babies. It is a top loading carrier. Bright loves it. She likes watching me through the bars in the top. Avatar has decided the counter top is a great place to sleep. The little Ginger still clings to Mom. It seems that there is always one kitten that is momma’s baby.
I took Flowers out of the cage that she and the babies have been sharing to give her a break for a bit. She lounged and ate for several hours in complete bliss. She was very relaxed and more open to being petted. I returned her to the babies when she indicated she was ready. The babies enjoyed having the run of the cage while she was out but were happy to have her back. They totally wrecked the cage! One was standing in the half empty water bowl when I was getting mom ready to go back on. A full cage cleaning was required first! Lol It was a great day for kitties at my house today. A great day for me too. I got to hold every one of Flower’s kittens.
17F88894-A926-4B8A-BE63-AD809DCDEE1A.jpeg

8E72A973-86B0-4C76-A6EB-5A0091550BDE.jpeg

C7CCFB28-F0D2-435D-B6C0-371B59FF7D41.jpeg

674EBE81-C1DD-4ED7-BFD1-B82A2B98AA8B.jpeg

The kittens pretended to be innocent. Of course they could not have caused all the mess on the cage! Lol I think their expressions say it all. They were either hurt or indignant that I would imply they had caused the mess! I guess some other wild kitty did it.;)
6BEDED3F-BD2D-44B3-8D57-94B5B05D4133.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan He has my heart too. He has been the guardian. I think one of the kittens will grow up to look a lot like Daddy.

To everyone, everything in this area seems to be overwhelmed right now. From the stores, banks to phone and internet. Getting any outgoing lines has been difficult. I expect it is worse in other areas. If my posts are late, or do not come, please forgive me. I will be here as I can. I stocked with kitty food for now so, no worries. I have the most important thing!;)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s been a busy day for the kitties. Flowers and Kelly will probably be going to be spayed tomorrow. I am trying to prepare the kittens for some time away from Mom. It was harder for the Gingerbread babies. Flowers kittens just took advantage of a day without parental supervision. They even managed to escape their cage tonight. It was hilarious. All the cats in the house looked a bit confused. I don’t think they could decide if they were seeing kittens or a bunch of wild little mice running around. Some of the big cats just watched from wherever they sat. Some ran away in panic to escape the mad dash of rampant babies. I chased kitties for a good twenty minutes. Flowers called out instructions to me from her cage and the kittens had a wonderful time. It reminded me of one of those silent comedy films of a cops and robbers car chase. When all the escapees were captured I let Flowers go back in with them to settle the whole family down. They are all snuggled up together now. We are all exhausted but happy.
The Gingerbread kitties are really starting to enjoy human company now. They have come to appreciate a god head scratching. Avatar is quick to star purring now.
BJ and I spent a nice afternoon together. He was scared by the activity of a neighbor but was willing to stay in the edge of the woods with me. He lets me get a little closer each day. He loves the Carl Buddig ham I often use as a cat lure. For some reason most of the cats prefer that to chicken or tuna. I have caught a lot of kitties with it and , once again, it seems to be working.
Here are our pictures for today.

A very happy BJ. Maybe he will let me pet him soon.
F3F7E587-5A40-48EA-BDD2-32E67F242AEA.jpeg
8028F0E9-29D2-4257-B283-AEAA331C143E.jpeg
F4818BC8-002E-4265-A878-DAE74D06FE0A.jpeg
6F424055-CAD8-473A-98DC-026634A0FB71.jpeg
002E5C86-3C5D-4A78-BF18-3A0281D30827.jpeg

The Ginger bread kitties beginning to feel safe ,although ,Bright still enjoys guarding a carrier door.
3E27C5D1-354D-4FB6-B3A3-07169C8778F1.jpeg

C6E62D56-19E2-4729-A719-DB3720B6AE25.jpeg

D1DA87EB-76BF-4BCC-B5A1-6623F0764199.jpeg

DCC373D2-24A9-4477-91D9-D69640378876.jpeg

48C8102A-8DBA-4305-AEBC-1C9DEAAC7363.jpeg

CAC69580-9CDB-4AA5-AE61-85605C791A3A.jpeg

The Flower babies are tired after an exciting run through the house.
4EAF90D6-7856-4162-A494-22FF1C404871.jpeg
637DB710-1DF0-4B10-BD31-975B14E161EC.jpeg
161B32EA-B194-46ED-AA4F-C0FA33C78687.jpeg

3F9F3357-4C7A-443E-8E12-9D875CF5A7AA.jpeg

Goodnight everyone!

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just love BJ's chubby cheeks, kinda like a Teddy Ruxpin bear...Maggie loves ham too, she will come running from the other side of the house when she smells it. The jailbreak with the kittens sounded like a fun adventure. Great pics as usual, thanks for sharing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.