My cat pukes frothy liquid (no hairball, no kibbles) almost every morning.

ThatGuy0124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a 7 months cat. She's healthy as my vet confirmed. She is playful when I am up and sleeps with me on my bed since I got her. Litter business are as usual.

However almost every morning she pukes this weird liquid - it doesn't have any food or hairball. I assume it is her puking because of an empty stomach, it also occurs almost at the same hours.

During the night she never wants to leave my bedroom to roam, eat or drink. If I decide to separate and move her outside my bedroom, she won't do anything at all. She will lay down in another room and do nothing not even try to sleep she will just wait (I have a camera). Even if I move food near her she will not eat it.

Also, right now, she did not eat since she puked this morning. It's 4pm currently and last time she ate was probably 10pm yesterday. The food is alright, I can take kibbles one by one from the bowl, drop them on the floor and she will eat them, probably thinking they are treats. I tried many bowls without success, so I assume she still feels sick.

The only thing that recently worked was to have a bowl of food in my bedroom right next to my bed for nighttime snacks. These are the same bowls and it works; she eats from them at that time and the puking stopped for 2 weeks. I stopped doing that because it would wake me up every time she would start eating (crunches, moving food, etc.) and I haven't got good sleep for a couple of months.

I don't know what other options I have left.

Side note, I have a spare room with all her cat stuff (toys and litter) I tried putting food / water in this room but she never touched it.
I made the conclusion that she only eats if I am near...but I really want to not have food in my bedroom anymore.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She sounds so very cute! Maybe you could try moving the bowls from right next to your bed a couple inches further away each day over the span of a few weeks? She might get used to the snack being just outside the bedroom door, etc.

Edit: a nice wet food meal right before bed might help keep your kitty full longer than kibble. Wet food in general is more nutritious, less full of empty calories, hydrating, and keeps cats fuller longer.

Last edited:

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten needs more nutritions to grow up and they are super active.
Give her a kitten canned food. I heard can food is more healthy So I also try to give my cat every day.

clear liquid puke may be for empty stomach or consumed indigestible object something like a little rubber band or other. My cat had it also.
If he eats well and healthy poop, stopped puke, all good. If not, please see a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ThatGuy0124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried placing the bowl outside the door but only once. I'll try again.
I can't offer cat food everyday.
Vet said she's good.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with all of the above. You can also try getting her used to having her food placed in an enclosed box in your bedroom to help muffle the noise from her crunching (even cover most of the box sides with a thick blanket). And, she really should have food available to her 24/7 at her age. That might even mean a special session, with you by her side, of feeding her right before bedtime to see if that helps.

Have you considered ear plugs? This situation is only temporary until she matures a bit and requires less food.

You say you can't offer her cat food everyday? You mean canned food? Even some of the cheapest commercial foods at any given grocery store might help.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing that recently worked was to have a bowl of food in my bedroom right next to my bed for nighttime snacks. These are the same bowls and it works; she eats from them at that time and the puking stopped for 2 weeks. I stopped doing that because it would wake me up every time she would start eating (crunches, moving food, etc.) and I haven't got good sleep for a couple of months.

Some cats throw up bile because their tummies go too long without food. Since providing a bowl of dry food helps, continue with that. If the noise bothers you, wear ear plugs or use a white noise machine. Or leave canned food out overnight for less noise (but probably more food odor).

ThatGuy0124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You say you can't offer her cat food everyday? You mean canned food? Even some of the cheapest commercial foods at any given grocery store might help.
Yes I meant cat food. Vet told me to avoid all canned food from groceries store I have to go to the pet store instead.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I meant cat food. Vet told me to avoid all canned food from groceries store I have to go to the pet store instead.

What was the vet's reason for not feeding grocery store brands? Sure, by products and grains are in many grocery store brands but Fancy Feast Classic pates and Friskies are perfectly fine to feed. If you want better quality, then do go to the pet store. Petco, Petsmart, etc have decent brands. Independent pet stores tend to have the higher end and more expensive brands.

For more help on choosing food to help your kitten grow healthy, you can post on the Nutrition forum here on TCS, Cat Nutrition

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes I meant cat food. Vet told me to avoid all canned food from groceries store I have to go to the pet store instead...Sorry! I meant _wet_ cat food and I don't know how to edit posts.
I see. But, what the vet didn't tell you is that most dry foods are 'crummier' in quality than some of the grocery store canned foods. All you have to do is compare ingredients to find that out. And, actually some brands sold in pet stores are also available in grocery stores.

You are new to this site, the more posts you make and the longer time you are active on this site, the more editing options you will have!
Promotions and Benefits | TheCatSite

ThatGuy0124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What was the vet's reason for not feeding grocery store brands? Sure, by products and grains are in many grocery store brands but Fancy Feast Classic pates and Friskies are perfectly fine to feed. If you want better quality, then do go to the pet store. Petco, Petsmart, etc have decent brands. Independent pet stores tend to have the higher end and more expensive brands.
The vet said the brands available in my grocery store are not good. I use "1st Choice Nutrition" brand for kittens I bought from the pet store.

That's the food even the cat breeder used so she's been on this since she was born.

ThatGuy0124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the answers by the way people.
My problem with her refusal to eat kibbles on her own really started when I introduced her vetdiet canned food for just one day...
I had to because she kept puking kibbles from eating too fast which is a thing now no longer happening.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where are you located? Some countries may not have a very good selection of pet food so I can see why the vet said to not buy brands sold in the grocery store.

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the answers by the way people.
My problem with her refusal to eat kibbles on her own really started when I introduced her vetdiet canned food for just one day...
I had to because she kept puking kibbles from eating too fast which is a thing now no longer happening.
No longer happening is good thing.
I have my current cat adopted from when he’s 6 months old. He started royal canin kitten canned food pate style And it’s very nutritious for kitten along with kitten kibbles. I think he will love that canned food. Why not try it for 1-3 months at least?

ThatGuy0124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh,

Most grocery stores have a few kitten wet food. I think that’s why.
Royal canin baby, kitten canned food is fantastic for kitten and sold at chewy.com
Royal canin baby only available in the pet store not grocery. I have one can actually, with the vetdiet

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Longueuil QC, Canada
For food I go to the pet store called Mondou
Grocery is called IGA

I know we have Canadian members who can suggest good brands of food.

rubysmama rubysmama

Also look through these threads:

I gave my cat wet food one day and all my problems with her not eating kibbles and liquid puke started.
Some cats have sensitive tummies and a diet change can upset it. Or it could be some ingredient in the food that caused the upset tummy.

ThatGuy0124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know we have Canadian members who can suggest good brands of food.

rubysmama rubysmama

Also look through these threads:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to find these.
Man, I think my vet just sucks...he told me 1st choice for kitten was not the best, but didn't suggest anything...and dumb me doesn't even follow up with the question.

I guess for budget kitten wet food PRO PLAN could work...
vetdiet is more expensive but what is nice is she doesn't usually go through a whole can a day (3oz pro plan vs 5.5)